Published on September 14th, 2019 | by Maarten Vinkhuyzen
September 14th, 2019 by Maarten Vinkhuyzen
Tesla is not allowed to sell its cars in some states of the USA. That is, it cant open dealerships. Sometimes, even service centers are prohibited. That is unfortunate for Tesla and its (prospective) customers. But as many people are aware, all laws have loopholes.
According to Merriam-Webster:
1 in commerce; to deal is to sell or to trade.2 a dealership is an authorized sales agency.
That makes the loophole clear. If you dont sell cars, those dealership prohibitions dont apply. In a number of states, however, even showing and explaining the cars, with ordering out of state or over the internet, is considered a dealers work, putting Teslas stores under the prohibition.
What is needed to slide through the loophole is another activity or business, one that is normal and legal. But that business would require the showing and explaining of Teslas cars. That activity is car rental. A car rental company is not a dealership, and many are owned by carmakers, at least where I live.
Another great way to show what Tesla is and can do is in the form of galleries. Exhibitions of the work and art of Franz von Holzhausen, even from before he started at Tesla. Exhibitions and video clips of the engineering and problem solving of Elon Musk and JB Straubel. Include many video clips of the competition or amateur ads on YouTube.
Now, we want to also make it visitor friendly, enticing to walk into, nice for viewing the exhibitions, and good for spending some time soaking up the atmosphere. That asks for some hospitality functions, like an internet caf, a Starbucks-like coffee corner, a bakery, and a regulars table for Tesla drivers. Tesla cars sawed in half can be used at booths, showing at the same time the different interiors of the cars.
Besides these infotainment functions, there is room for commercial functions. I envision all Tesla commercial activities with the exception of selling cars to find a place here. Probably just adjacent to the caf and gallery space, visible but separate. Part souvenir store and info desk, part consultancy and service desk. Probably at the backside of the building there should be a garage for the rental cars, a depot for the Tesla mobility service, and other such functions.
I wish I was an artist. In my mind, I can walk around, sit, and order coffee. I can admire the expositions about Franz, Elon, and JB. I can go to the desk of a consultant for advice on my roof, buy presents for my nephews, and rent a car to experience the unique Tesla smile when using launch mode. I see a large, grand caf-like place or indoor market where there are many Tesla-related activities.
When turning what is in my head into a business plans manager overview, it would look like the following.
Nowadays diversified Tesla is a lot bigger than it was. It is possible to open as infotainment, watering hole, and point-of-sale places in closed-minded states better than dealerships without being a dealership. In a high-end place with a lot of foot traffic, a large space with shop windows is great. Inside, we have the following functions:
Those are a lot of legal, commercial, and marketing activities under one roof. Explaining every technical aspect about a Tesla car is part of the job of the car rental employee. Having a very competitive rental tariff starting with 1 hour rentals can attract many prospects who would like a test drive, a drive a bit longer than the custom 20 minute demo with a salesperson. Having a Model X with a trailer is an excellent excuse for IKEA and Home Depot shoppers to bring their goods home and wow their neighbors.
The regular table where Tesla drivers get their complimentary coffee is the place for free advice for prospects. Buyers can conclude their business in the internet caf.
For seating, there are the open halves of the Models S, 3, X arranged as booths along the walls.
If done well, this could even be a cool place to hang out in a city center or large mall.
The perfect place, with a large outdoor terrace, would of course be in Windsor, Canada, on Riverside Drive along the Detroit river, directly opposite the GM towers in Detroit, Michigan. Tesla would not even have to omit the dealership and service center.
Tags: car dealers, legal loophole, Tesla, Tesla dealerships, Tesla galleries
Maarten Vinkhuyzen Grumpy old man. The best thing I did with my life was raising two kids. Only finished primary education, but when you dont go to school, you have lots of time to read. I switched from accounting to software development and ended my career as system integrator and architect. My 2007 boss got two electric Lotus Elise cars to show policymakers the future direction of energy and transportation. And I have been looking to replace my diesel cars with electric vehicles ever since.And putting my money where my mouth is, I have bought Tesla shares. Intend to keep them until I can trade them for a Tesla car.
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - January 19th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Why hydrogen cars will be Tesla's biggest threat - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Stock Is On The Run; Time To Take Profits? Ask The AI Engine - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Blue Bird, PACCAR, AutoZone and Motorcar Parts of America - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak - MarketWatch - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- This Bonkers Electric Quad Is The Tesla Cyberquad On Steroids - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's on a Tear: Top Takeaways From the Bank Earnings, Tesla's Price Target Bumps - TheStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla: Theres None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla Scores a Win in China as Local Model 3 Gets Tax Exemption - Bloomberg - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla confirms it secured $1.6 billion in financing for Gigafactory Shanghai - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- China races to build its own Tesla as economy slows and subsidies dry up - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- A look at all of the awesome new features Tesla crammed into its last software update of 2019 - BGR - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla releases massive new update with text message reading, Autopilot, and more - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas Semi Truck Could Bring In $2 Billion In Revenues By 2025 - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas new update is all about keeping eyes on the road & hands on the wheel - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Here's The Story Of The Tesla Model S That Ran A Red Light And Crashed - InsideEVs - December 27th, 2019
- These charts show how the era of rampant Tesla stock volatility could be coming to an end - Business Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Target, Denny's & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Surrenders in Rented Tesla Hit-and-Run Crash That Killed Father of Four - NBC Southern California - December 7th, 2019
- Why the Cybertruck is a breakthrough for Tesla and designer Franz von Holzhausen - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla Cybertruck is almost $20,000 cheaper than Ford F-150 over 5 years - Electrek - December 7th, 2019
- More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving - The Drive - December 7th, 2019
- Woman Arrested as Suspected Tesla Driver Who Killed Father of 4 in Pico-Union Hit-and-Run - KTLA Los Angeles - December 7th, 2019
- Here's The Main Problem With Tesla's Supercharger Network - Jalopnik - December 7th, 2019
- Teslas Cybertruck Will Face These Five Electric Pickups in 2021 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Elon Musk explains why Teslas Cybertruck windows smashed during presentation - The Verge - November 25th, 2019
- A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows - WIRED - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas strategy is incredibly risky but it still makes lots of sense - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla test Model 3 by making it drive into water - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- The Brutalist Tesla Cybertruck is designed to instill fear and draw the battle lines on internal combustion - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- As electric cars and Tesla make headlines, this CEO is betting on charging stations - Fox Business - November 25th, 2019
- Hill and Holmes' impeachment testimony, Netanyahu's indictment and Tesla's 'Cybertruck' reveal: The Morning Rundown - NBCNews.com - November 25th, 2019
- If Tesla and Ford Motor are about to wage war for the electric-car crown, you wouldnt know it from this exchange - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Is The Underdog In The Electric Car Revolution - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Model S Plaid Spied Testing Aggressive Body At The Nurburgring - Motor1.com - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla will roll out a software update that will make the Model S even faster - BGR - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Demonstrates The Power Of The Internet Of Things - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- What Drove Teslas Surprise Third Quarter Profit? - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Teslas Q3 profit is being scrutinized by analysts and some dont like what they see - MarketWatch - November 1st, 2019
- Did Tesla release an unfinished Smart Summon just to pull an accounting trick? - Digital Trends - November 1st, 2019
- Will FCA-PSA Buy Tesla Batteries And Drivetrain? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- What Does The Tesla Model 3 Have In Common With A Cheap Toyota Etios? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Roadster Gets The A-Team Treatment In Retro Face Car Renders - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla: Are the Bears Reaching to Make a Negative Case? - Market Realist - November 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says monster Tesla seen on racetrack will go into production by summer 2020 - Mashable - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla owners in California receive warnings to recharge amid blackouts - CNN - October 16th, 2019