Published on September 14th, 2019 | by Maarten Vinkhuyzen
September 14th, 2019 by Maarten Vinkhuyzen
Tesla is not allowed to sell its cars in some states of the USA. That is, it cant open dealerships. Sometimes, even service centers are prohibited. That is unfortunate for Tesla and its (prospective) customers. But as many people are aware, all laws have loopholes.
According to Merriam-Webster:
1 in commerce; to deal is to sell or to trade.2 a dealership is an authorized sales agency.
That makes the loophole clear. If you dont sell cars, those dealership prohibitions dont apply. In a number of states, however, even showing and explaining the cars, with ordering out of state or over the internet, is considered a dealers work, putting Teslas stores under the prohibition.
What is needed to slide through the loophole is another activity or business, one that is normal and legal. But that business would require the showing and explaining of Teslas cars. That activity is car rental. A car rental company is not a dealership, and many are owned by carmakers, at least where I live.
Another great way to show what Tesla is and can do is in the form of galleries. Exhibitions of the work and art of Franz von Holzhausen, even from before he started at Tesla. Exhibitions and video clips of the engineering and problem solving of Elon Musk and JB Straubel. Include many video clips of the competition or amateur ads on YouTube.
Now, we want to also make it visitor friendly, enticing to walk into, nice for viewing the exhibitions, and good for spending some time soaking up the atmosphere. That asks for some hospitality functions, like an internet caf, a Starbucks-like coffee corner, a bakery, and a regulars table for Tesla drivers. Tesla cars sawed in half can be used at booths, showing at the same time the different interiors of the cars.
Besides these infotainment functions, there is room for commercial functions. I envision all Tesla commercial activities with the exception of selling cars to find a place here. Probably just adjacent to the caf and gallery space, visible but separate. Part souvenir store and info desk, part consultancy and service desk. Probably at the backside of the building there should be a garage for the rental cars, a depot for the Tesla mobility service, and other such functions.
I wish I was an artist. In my mind, I can walk around, sit, and order coffee. I can admire the expositions about Franz, Elon, and JB. I can go to the desk of a consultant for advice on my roof, buy presents for my nephews, and rent a car to experience the unique Tesla smile when using launch mode. I see a large, grand caf-like place or indoor market where there are many Tesla-related activities.
When turning what is in my head into a business plans manager overview, it would look like the following.
Nowadays diversified Tesla is a lot bigger than it was. It is possible to open as infotainment, watering hole, and point-of-sale places in closed-minded states better than dealerships without being a dealership. In a high-end place with a lot of foot traffic, a large space with shop windows is great. Inside, we have the following functions:
Those are a lot of legal, commercial, and marketing activities under one roof. Explaining every technical aspect about a Tesla car is part of the job of the car rental employee. Having a very competitive rental tariff starting with 1 hour rentals can attract many prospects who would like a test drive, a drive a bit longer than the custom 20 minute demo with a salesperson. Having a Model X with a trailer is an excellent excuse for IKEA and Home Depot shoppers to bring their goods home and wow their neighbors.
The regular table where Tesla drivers get their complimentary coffee is the place for free advice for prospects. Buyers can conclude their business in the internet caf.
For seating, there are the open halves of the Models S, 3, X arranged as booths along the walls.
If done well, this could even be a cool place to hang out in a city center or large mall.
The perfect place, with a large outdoor terrace, would of course be in Windsor, Canada, on Riverside Drive along the Detroit river, directly opposite the GM towers in Detroit, Michigan. Tesla would not even have to omit the dealership and service center.
Tags: car dealers, legal loophole, Tesla, Tesla dealerships, Tesla galleries
Maarten Vinkhuyzen Grumpy old man. The best thing I did with my life was raising two kids. Only finished primary education, but when you dont go to school, you have lots of time to read. I switched from accounting to software development and ended my career as system integrator and architect. My 2007 boss got two electric Lotus Elise cars to show policymakers the future direction of energy and transportation. And I have been looking to replace my diesel cars with electric vehicles ever since.And putting my money where my mouth is, I have bought Tesla shares. Intend to keep them until I can trade them for a Tesla car.
- Electric Cars, Solar Panels & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla EVs: Reviews, Pricing, and Specs - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla's 'Cybertruck' unveiling at 11 PM ET | Engadget - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas Cybertruck Will Face These Five Electric Pickups in 2021 - Forbes - November 25th, 2019
- Elon Musk explains why Teslas Cybertruck windows smashed during presentation - The Verge - November 25th, 2019
- A Physics Analysis of Tesla's Shattered Cybertruck Windows - WIRED - November 25th, 2019
- Teslas strategy is incredibly risky but it still makes lots of sense - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Watch Tesla test Model 3 by making it drive into water - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- The Brutalist Tesla Cybertruck is designed to instill fear and draw the battle lines on internal combustion - Electrek - November 25th, 2019
- As electric cars and Tesla make headlines, this CEO is betting on charging stations - Fox Business - November 25th, 2019
- Hill and Holmes' impeachment testimony, Netanyahu's indictment and Tesla's 'Cybertruck' reveal: The Morning Rundown - NBCNews.com - November 25th, 2019
- If Tesla and Ford Motor are about to wage war for the electric-car crown, you wouldnt know it from this exchange - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2019
- Tesla Is The Underdog In The Electric Car Revolution - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Model S Plaid Spied Testing Aggressive Body At The Nurburgring - Motor1.com - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla will roll out a software update that will make the Model S even faster - BGR - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Demonstrates The Power Of The Internet Of Things - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- What Drove Teslas Surprise Third Quarter Profit? - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Teslas Q3 profit is being scrutinized by analysts and some dont like what they see - MarketWatch - November 1st, 2019
- Did Tesla release an unfinished Smart Summon just to pull an accounting trick? - Digital Trends - November 1st, 2019
- Will FCA-PSA Buy Tesla Batteries And Drivetrain? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- What Does The Tesla Model 3 Have In Common With A Cheap Toyota Etios? - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla Roadster Gets The A-Team Treatment In Retro Face Car Renders - InsideEVs - November 1st, 2019
- Tesla: Are the Bears Reaching to Make a Negative Case? - Market Realist - November 1st, 2019
- Elon Musk says monster Tesla seen on racetrack will go into production by summer 2020 - Mashable - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla owners in California receive warnings to recharge amid blackouts - CNN - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla navigating land mines that zapped rivals - Fox Business - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla: Why Demand Could Be a Concern - Market Realist - October 16th, 2019
- Why Tesla Stock Looks Better Than You Think - Barron's - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla Update May Have Lowered The Model 3's Range As Well - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- Here's how Tesla's cars stack up against the best of the competition from the world's top automakers - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- California's Power Outage Demonstrates the Biggest Flaw With Tesla's Plan to Sell Everyone an Electric Car - Inc. - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla (TSLA) Expected to Beat Earnings Estimates: Can the Stock Move Higher? - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2019
- Is Tesla Still a Rule Breaker to Believe In? - The Motley Fool - October 16th, 2019
- Tesla offers peek inside the Crash Lab that helped it win a safety award - Digital Trends - October 16th, 2019
- This Tesla Faced Keying And Break-In Attempt On The Same Day - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- What it's like to rent Tesla Model 3 on Turo car-sharing app - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- More On Tesla's Plan To Make Its Own Batteries - InsideEVs - October 16th, 2019
- Older Teslas are reportedly running into an issue where the screen stops working and the car wont charge - Business Insider - October 16th, 2019
- Green Cab Ditches Hybrids In Favor Of Teslas For Its Taxi Fleet - CleanTechnica - October 16th, 2019
- In 10 years, Tesla went from a one-car company to a Porsche rival - Business Insider - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla is working on its own more efficient seat with temperature-control system - Electrek - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla Smart Summon isn't for use in public places, America - CNET - October 1st, 2019
- People Are Trying to Get Themselves Run Over by Their Own Teslas - ScienceAlert - October 1st, 2019
- 2 Signs the "Tesla Killer" Theory May Already Be Dead - The Motley Fool - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla Built-In Camera Captures the Moment 'Very Angry' Woman Keys Car in School Parking Lot - Newsweek - October 1st, 2019
- People Are Posting Videos of Close Calls with Tesla's New Smart Summon Feature - Car and Driver - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla has reinvented the windshield wiper in new patent - Fox News - October 1st, 2019
- Teslas first big V3 Supercharger expansion is already happening in Canada - The Verge - October 1st, 2019
- Teslas AI Chips Are Rolling Out, But They Arent A Self-Driving Panacea - Forbes - October 1st, 2019
- U.S. Labor Judge Rules That Tesla Interfered With Union Organizing - Jalopnik - October 1st, 2019
- Tesla rolled out its Smart Summon feature, and it's not going well - Driving - October 1st, 2019
- Ride Along In The World's Quickest Tesla - InsideEVs - October 1st, 2019
- 3 Ways Tesla Is Transforming What It Means To Be A Car - CleanTechnica - September 19th, 2019
- 01:11 Tesla Model 3 Wins Top Safety Award - Bloomberg - September 19th, 2019
- How Musk is Trying to Address Tesla's Service Issues - Market Realist - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla loses top exec in Germany - Seeking Alpha - September 19th, 2019
- From advocating for nuking Mars to feuding on Twitter, here's how Tesla's CEO Elon Musk spent his summer - Business Insider - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla vs. Porsche: Does The Model S Finally Have A Competitor In The Luxurious New Taycan? - Forbes - September 19th, 2019
- A Tesla-Swapped E30 BMW Means 'You'll Never Miss a Yellow Light Again.' - The Drive - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Alumni Launch Smart Electric Panel to Make It Easier to Go Solar - Tom's Guide - September 19th, 2019
- Why Tesla Seems to Be Struggling with Q3 Deliveries - Market Realist - September 19th, 2019
- Sleeping With Tesla Autopilot May Explain Some Of Tesla's Safety Numbers - Forbes - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Autopilot V10 In-Depth Road Test With Useful Bookmarks - InsideEVs - September 19th, 2019
- Cuomo on whether Tesla will meet job targets: 'We will find out next year' - Buffalo News - September 19th, 2019
- What the GM Strike Means For the Fremont Tesla Factory - California Globe - September 19th, 2019
- Watch Tesla V10 with new Netflix, YouTube, Caraoke apps in action surprisingly refined - Electrek - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla's Million Mile Battery - Seeking Alpha - September 19th, 2019
- Podcast: Teslas upcoming new battery, Tesla Plaid Powertrain, EVs from Frankfurt, and more - Electrek - September 19th, 2019
- Ex-Tesla Executive Decamps to Brazil and Bets Big on Batteries - Bloomberg - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Sentry Mode catches couple mistaking Model 3 for their Hyundai Elantra - Driving - September 19th, 2019
- See This Tesla Model S Making Smoke? A Bug Is The Cause - InsideEVs - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Model 3 earns top safety award | National - Index-Journal - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla Model 3 dominates global EV sales, chases down fossil fuel competitors - The Driven - September 19th, 2019
- Driving A Tesla Model X Through Flood Waters May Look Cool But Isnt A Good Idea - Carscoops - September 19th, 2019
- Sweeney Gives Support to 'Tesla Lawsuit' - InsiderNJ - September 19th, 2019
- Teslas a Game Changer When It Comes to Windshield Wipers - Car and Driver - September 19th, 2019
- General Motors vs. Tesla: Software Engineer Pay - Dice Insights - September 19th, 2019
- Did Nikola Tesla Describe Mobile Phones in 1926? - Truth or Fiction - September 19th, 2019
- Tesla has too few accidents to analyse - www.electrive.com - September 19th, 2019