The logo of Tesla model 3 is pictured at the Auto show in Paris, France, Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018, ... [+] 2018. All-electric vehicles with zero local emissions are among the stars of the Paris auto show, rubbing shoulders with the fossil-fuel burning SUVs that many car buyers love. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)
As evacuees lined up at gas stations to flee Florida in the weeks before Hurricane Dorian, Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) CEO Elon Musk announced that the company would boost the range of its Model 3 cars, enabling residents to travel further out of the range of the storm. The manufacturer, which has also provided free charging in the lead up to previous storms, was able to extend the range of its vehicles for a short period of time.
Tesla wasnt alone in remotely assisting those in Dorians path. General Motors provided enhanced OnStar services for customers, including those with lapsed registrations. That technology can help with directions, free calls, in-vehicle Wi-Fi and more.
In fact, Tesla and OnStars moves reflect a deeper shift. Consumer and business-facing infrastructure is growing increasingly connected in an Internet of Things, with more devices connecting each day: The Economist reports that 1 trillion internet-connected devices may be online by 2035. For some consumers, some of these IoT gadgets may seem superfluous in actually improving our lives (see Amazon's smart microwave). However, as Tesla owners have learned, IoT devices can be a lifeline.
While Teslas news applied specifically to Florida, climate change is impacting homeowners up and down the southeastern coast (and more recently in California), as a warming planet intensifies the Atlantic hurricane season and the Santa Ana winds. As storms grow stronger and more frequent, theyll not only cause more damage to seaside communities, but also the power grid that plays an increasingly vital role in our day-to-day lives.
Less discussed in the news around Tesla was how the companys PowerWalls helped to mitigate electricity loss for residents.
In the past, homeowners who had installed net-metered solar panels were stuck without power when the grid went down, even though their solar panels frequently survived the storm. In recent years, some PV solutions offered homeowners the opportunity to plug directly into an inverter that supplied direct power. While that solution allowed homeowners to temporarily power their homes during a blackout, solar power failed once the sun went down.
Homeowners seeking to power their homes around the clock turned to Teslas Powerwalls, which can include energy storage (batteries) that can power a home when power is unavailable. In tandem with rooftop PV panels, Powerwalls can power home essentials, like refrigerators, sump pumpts, lighting and air conditioning, when grid power is knocked out by high winds or falling trees.
In advance of storms, Tesla can remotely engage a software feature called Storm Watch, which fully charges the unit so that it can power customers homes for an extended period. Once the storm passes, users systems automatically return to their regular settings.
In this Oct. 27, 2016 photo, Rhonda "Honey" Phillips poses next to a Tesla Powerwall battery and ... [+] inverter connected to a solar panel array in her yard in Middletown Springs, Vt. Phillips is one of the growing number of Green Mountain Power customers using the Tesla battery to store solar energy when her panels aren't collecting it. GMP has been working to link solar energy with battery storage on both a large and small scale. (AP Photo/Dave Gram)
Tesla is not the first electric vehicle manufacturer to help its customers optimize their electricity usage in times of need. In the wake of the 2011 Thoku earthquake and tsunami, Nissan (OTCMKTS: NSANY) unveiled a function that allowed owners of its Leaf electric car to use their cars as a backup battery for their homes. This year, the company announced plans to expand the program to Australia, while rival Mitsubishi (OTCMKTS: MSBHY) unveiled a similar technology earlier this year. However, Teslas technology is unique in its ability to remotely provide additional aid to homeowners in times of crisis.
What is critical to all of these solutions is remote control and management. The power of IoT is that it provides the possibility for companies, like Tesla, to tailor services to their customers and respond in real-time to unforeseen events. And by collecting data from these devices, the companies can optimize their performance going forward.
A good example of this is GE (NYSE:GE), which has begun installing IoT sensors in its aircraft engines, allowing mechanics to remotely monitor the health of individual components and collect data on use, helping to not only prevent engine failure, but also to better monitor usage and wearing tear. Armed with data, airlines can better plan preventative maintenance, reduce downtime and more efficiently deploy their fleet of aircraft, lowering costs and reducing passenger delays.
IoT is a gamechanger in powering our lives. Coupled with cleantech, IoT is offsetting some of the impacts of climate change. While there has been much hype around the B2C applications of this technology (everything from smart refrigerators to smart doorbells), it is in the B2B infrastructure applications where there is even greater potential for IoT to positively impact our lives and meet the sustainability goals we have for the generations to come.
Follow this link:
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - January 19th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Why hydrogen cars will be Tesla's biggest threat - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Stock Is On The Run; Time To Take Profits? Ask The AI Engine - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Blue Bird, PACCAR, AutoZone and Motorcar Parts of America - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak - MarketWatch - January 14th, 2020
- Teslas Elon Musk Teases Bitcoin Community With Tongue-In-Cheek Tweet - Forbes - January 14th, 2020
- This Bonkers Electric Quad Is The Tesla Cyberquad On Steroids - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's on a Tear: Top Takeaways From the Bank Earnings, Tesla's Price Target Bumps - TheStreet - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla: Theres None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla Scores a Win in China as Local Model 3 Gets Tax Exemption - Bloomberg - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla confirms it secured $1.6 billion in financing for Gigafactory Shanghai - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- China races to build its own Tesla as economy slows and subsidies dry up - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- A look at all of the awesome new features Tesla crammed into its last software update of 2019 - BGR - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla releases massive new update with text message reading, Autopilot, and more - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas Semi Truck Could Bring In $2 Billion In Revenues By 2025 - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Teslas new update is all about keeping eyes on the road & hands on the wheel - Electrek - December 27th, 2019
- Here's The Story Of The Tesla Model S That Ran A Red Light And Crashed - InsideEVs - December 27th, 2019
- These charts show how the era of rampant Tesla stock volatility could be coming to an end - Business Insider - December 27th, 2019
- Tesla cars built in China have been recommended for government subsidies, report says - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- What Drives the Tesla Superfans? - PCMag - December 7th, 2019
- Our Tesla Model 3 Is Entertaining in More Than One Way - Car and Driver - December 7th, 2019
- A top Tesla analyst raised his 'bull case' for the stock to $500, or 50% higher from here - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Police: Driver claims Tesla on auto-pilot when hitting 2 cars on I-95 - Thehour.com - December 7th, 2019
- Tesla is poised to deliver Model Y crossover in first quarter of 2020, says Deutsche Bank - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Tapestry, Anthem, Whirlpool & more - CNBC - December 7th, 2019
- Here's how the million-mile battery could lead to Teslas lasting a lifetime - Business Insider - December 7th, 2019