Tesla is sending a warning to its Northern California customers: Charge up your vehicle now. If you don't, it's hard to say when you'll next have a chance. That's because Pacific Gas and Electric, the electrical utility for most of Northern and Central California, plans to shut off electrical service to almost a million people as a public safety measure to prevent starting wildfires.
Let's start by giving credit to Tesla foralerting its customers, especially since most drivers only charge their battery to 80 percent to extend overall battery life. Depending on your daily driving and the length of the shutoff, that could make a real difference. But I think the entire episode points out a fatal flaw in Tesla's plan to have everyone buying electric cars.
First, we obviously depend on electricity for just about everything we do every day. I wouldn't be writing this column right now without electricity. You wouldn't be reading it right now without electricity. We're long past the point where electricity is a novelty;it's just something we take for granted.
And, if you drive a Telsa (or a Volt or a Leaf), you need electricity to charge your battery. Most of you probably do that at homeor at one of Tesla's Supercharger stations spread across the country. But in parts ofCalifornia, you won't be doing either during the shutoff.
To be fair, Tesla says that it plans to eventually have all of its Supercharger stations equipped with batteries that will allow them to continue to provide charging capacity during blackouts. But according to Elon Musk this morning on Twitter, the company is still waiting on the go-ahead to install them across the effected areas in California.
I reached out to Teslafor comment, but did not immediately receive a response.
Second, our electrical grid is far more fragile than most of us truly understand. The fact that you can plug in a toaster and make breakfast in the morningis almost luck. It doesn't take much to cause that luck to run out--a storm, a power surge, or a branch falling on a power line.Or, apparently, a utility with such outdated equipment that the only way it can be sure it won't starta wildfire that could burn down most of California is to just shut everything offfor a few days.
But just because it's a little windy in the Bay Area, people still needto go to work, still need to makelunches before sending their kids off to school,and still need to do all of the other things they would normally do. No one is evacuating. Which, I guess is a good thing since they'd only get a few hundred miles before their Teslas all run out of juice.
Tesla makes great cars--not just great electric cars.Still,without electricity, you're not going anywhere inone.
This means electric cars will never be a truly viable alternative to internal combustion engines until someone figures out how to dramatically increase the reliability of our electrical grid. I'm not suggesting that gasoline is a better long-term strategy (gas stations still require electricity as well), but outside of Tesla's most devoted fans, most people stillfind it's a far more reliable and convenient option.
That's bad news for Tesla and for the idea thatelectric cars are the future. Because, as this power outage makes clear, that future is entirely dependent on a power grid still stuckin thepast.
The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com.
Originally posted here:
- Tesla Vs The Short Sellers: The Battle Is Never Over - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla makes tiny change to Model Y that will save owners some headaches - Electrek - August 4th, 2020
- Shares of electric vehicle makers Nio and Nikola could be a better bet than Tesla, traders say - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Check Out This Tesla Model S With A Rotary Engine: First EV Converted To Rotary? - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- How will Tesla rivals top this EV innovation? - Automotive News - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla Model Y drive, Fisker and VW, the potential of bi-directional charging: Today's Car News - Green Car Reports - August 4th, 2020
- Here are Monday's biggest analyst calls of the day: Nikola, Merck, Yum! Brands, Tesla & more - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Chinese Tesla rival Xpeng Motors in talks over $300 million in funding ahead of U.S. IPO, sources say - CNBC - August 4th, 2020
- Whats Ahead for Tesla, Nikola, and Other Electric-Vehicle Stocks - Barron's - August 4th, 2020
- Don't Wait: Ten Reasons To Buy The Tesla Cybertruck NOW! - InsideEVs - August 4th, 2020
- Europe Is Building the Next Tesla. Who Knew? - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla Gets Yet Another Electric Vehicle to Compete With Ahead - 24/7 Wall St. - August 4th, 2020
- Exclusive: Panasonic aims to boost energy density in Tesla batteries by 20% - executive - Reuters - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla is working on massive sales presence expansion with new markets - Electrek - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla's Berlin plant on the fast track, minister says - Automotive News Europe - August 4th, 2020
- How Hyliions Under-30 CEO Aims To Compete With Tesla And Nikola In The Electric-Powered Big Rig Revolution - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Tesla shares sag as analyst flags mind-boggling valuation - The Detroit News - August 4th, 2020
- Ram Could Follow Tesla, Ford and GM and Build an Electric Pickup Truck. But Should They? - Gear Patrol - August 3rd, 2020
- Europe Is Building the Next Tesla. Who Knew? - Bloomberg - August 3rd, 2020
- Confused Tesla Model 3 Thinks It's a Lambo with Huge Wing and Louvered Window - autoevolution - August 3rd, 2020
- How Tesla Was Lured to Austin - Texas Monthly - August 3rd, 2020
- Elon Musk on Tesla Cybertruck: The goal is to kick most amount of ass possible with this truck - Electrek - August 3rd, 2020
- A.I. helps businesses recover from the lockdown And can Nissan take on Tesla? - Euronews - August 3rd, 2020
- Teslas Newest Partnership With An HBCU Is A Great Thing - CleanTechnica - August 3rd, 2020
- Tesla plans $780 million bond deal pegged to vehicle leasesits first such offering during the pandemic - MarketWatch - August 3rd, 2020
- Tesla fans snap up bonds tied to car maker's leases, its first such offering during pandemic - MarketWatch - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla and Nikola electric semis will arrive to rivals from traditional truck makers - Green Car Reports - July 31st, 2020
- Teslas Next Frontier The Tesla Home - CleanTechnica - July 31st, 2020
- What Are The Chances Tesla And Volkswagen Join Forces? - InsideEVs - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla is expanding battery cell manufacturing team, now hiring production associates - Electrek.co - July 31st, 2020
- Move over Tesla: Robinhood day-trading crowd finds a new speculative favorite in Kodak - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla of Thailand Mulls Hydropower Plants to Balance EV Risks - Bloomberg - July 31st, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: 3M, McDonald's, Tesla, Eastman Kodak and more - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves midday: Advanced Micro Devices, Tesla, Intel & more - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- Amazon And Tesla Versus 885 Cheap Stocks - Forbes - July 31st, 2020
- Tesla is 2 years ahead of the industry in critical areas, Audi CEO says - Electrek.co - July 30th, 2020
- Lucid unveils its driver-assist plan to compete with Teslas Autopilot - Electrek.co - July 30th, 2020
- Behind Teslas Profits - Forbes - July 29th, 2020
- The 400% Tesla Rally Was Only The Beginning Of The EV Boom - OilPrice.com - July 29th, 2020
- Jamie Foxx Uses All the Swears in a Tesla Test Drive - Autoweek - July 29th, 2020
- Tesla could reap benefits of truly exciting glassy metal battery research - The Driven - July 29th, 2020
- Here are the biggest analyst calls of the day: Shopify, Tesla, Alphabet & more - CNBC - July 29th, 2020
- Opinion: Tesla is defying the laws of brand-building - AdAge.com - July 29th, 2020
- Check Out This Tesla-Powered Electric Van Project: Behind The Scenes - InsideEVs - July 29th, 2020
- Audi CEO: Tesla is 'two years ahead' of the curve - CarAdvice - July 29th, 2020
- First look at Elon Musks personal Tesla Model S with prototype color - Electrek.co - July 28th, 2020
- How Tesla defined a new era for the global auto industry - Reuters - July 28th, 2020
- Last Tesla Roadster ever built listed for more than $2 million - CarAdvice - July 28th, 2020
- The Tesla Model Y Made In Germany Will Be Quite Different - The Drive - July 28th, 2020
- What Are EV Regulatory Credits And Why Is Tesla Selling So Many Of Them? - Yahoo Finance - July 28th, 2020
- Options traders bet Tesla's earnings report will add $75 billion to the stock's market cap - CNBC - July 28th, 2020
- Huston-Tillotson University announces partnership with Tesla on learning initiatives, programs for students - KXAN.com - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla and Microsoft Earnings Will Move the Market - Barron's - July 28th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - July 28th, 2020
- Will The German Car Giants Ever Catch Tesla? - Forbes - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla On A 'Hiring Spree' In China As It Readies For Model Y Production: Report - Benzinga - July 28th, 2020
- Watch Out, Tesla: BMW Is Racing Ahead With Its Electric Vehicle Plans - The Motley Fool - July 28th, 2020
- Nike Taps Former Tesla Executive as Its New Diversity Chief - Bloomberg - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla Van With Camping & SpaceX Packages Brings It All Together Could It Replace Your Home? - CleanTechnica - July 28th, 2020
- Is Now The Time To Short Tesla's Stock? - Benzinga - July 28th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - July 27th, 2020
- People Called Us Tesla Biased For Years. Perhaps We Just Analyzed The Story Decently? - CleanTechnica - July 27th, 2020
- Texas Matters: Pandemic Politics And The Tesla Effect On Texas - Texas Public Radio - July 27th, 2020
- Charting Tesla, Apple, and Netflix. - TheStreet - July 27th, 2020
- 'Radioactive' and 'Tesla' celebrate science through the lens of its pioneers - CNN - July 27th, 2020
- Why Tesla Belongs in the Dow Jones Industrials - Motley Fool - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla: An Opportunity To Buy The Dip - Seeking Alpha - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla Reaches a Milestone With Another Quarterly Profit - The New York Times - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla Texas, BYD Han EV, Rivian delay, battery supplies, the end of small cars: The Week in Reverse - Green Car Reports - July 27th, 2020
- Electric Vehicles: An ETF That's More Than Just A Bet On Tesla - Seeking Alpha - July 27th, 2020
- Opinion: Teslas rise is a message to big oil in Texas its time to transform - Houston Chronicle - July 27th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: IBM, Moderna, Tesla and more - CNBC - July 27th, 2020
- Final Tesla Roadster ever built listed for more than $2 million - CarAdvice - July 27th, 2020
- Earnings Preview: What To Expect From Tesla On Wednesday - Forbes - July 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Colorado Springs lab and a World Series MVP stationed at Fort Carson | Did You Ever Wonder - Colorado Springs Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- Love Is Blind: Tesla Owners Love Their Cars, Despite Their Faults - Forbes - July 26th, 2020
- Tesla goes to Texas, 2021 Toyota Venza tested and more: Roadshow's week in review - CNET - July 26th, 2020
- Tesla Stock May Be Rallying For This Absurd ReasonAnd This Wont End Well - Forbes - July 26th, 2020
- Tesla's solar energy business takes a beating during the pandemic - Buffalo News - July 26th, 2020
- The Reason I Havent Bought Tesla Stock - Motley Fool - July 26th, 2020