Like Apple fans before them, Tesla aficionados have gained a reputation for intense obsession. But how does an electric car company produce so many enthusiasts who, in turn, produce their own contentlike podcasts and YouTube videosabout the company?
In 2015, Ryan McCaffrey, Executive Editor at IGN, started Ride The Lightning, which he labeled as an unofficial Tesla podcast. As he discusses in the first episode, McCaffrey started the podcast becausedespite talking his friends' and family's ears off about the car makerhe still had more to say. He looked for Tesla podcasts, but there weren't many options at the time.
That's no longer the case. Castbox.fm estimates that across all podcast platforms, nearly half of the available Tesla podcasts launched in the last year, and that Tesla podcasts have seen millions of downloads. On YouTube, Tesla content is everywhere, with topics like AutoPilot, software updates, maintenance, and track racing a constant source of intrigue.
"The Tesla community is growing, and so more and more people are developing that enthusiasm," McCaffrey says. "And I think there's still a feeling that we're at the very beginning of all of thisthat Tesla is a little secret club that it's super fun to welcome new people into. The community's shared enthusiasm is one of my favorite parts of Tesla ownership."
McCaffrey now has more than 200 episodes of Ride The Lightning under his belt, and counts Tesla CEO Elon Musk and Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen among his guests. But while fast cars and Tesla technology are the genesis for most of the intrigue and interest in the company, they aren't the only areas of interest.
"I'm a technology and business enthusiast first," says Rob Maurer of the Tesla Daily podcast. "These interests, unsurprisingly, led to a fascination with Tesla that really began in early 2013. The stock caught my attention during its huge rise that year."
Maurer's podcast is heavy on the investment and business aspects of Teslaand there's certainly a lot to talk about there. Glowing headlines and enthusiasm about new products like the Cybertruck go hand in hand with controversies, from Musk's battles with the SEC to production delays.
Fans appear undeterred. Tesla Daily has more than 600 Patreon supporters who contribute more than $5,000 a month. "I'm most proud of the credibility I've built over the last couple of years by thoroughly researching and relentlessly fact-checking," says Maurer. "There's a lot of misinformation out there these days."
For Michael Bodner, Tesla isn't his job, just how he spends a lot of his free time. During the day he's a director of operations for a residential property management company, but in his spare time he's taken to creating YouTube videos about his Tesla Model 3, including upgrades and maintenance.
Bodner didn't have much interest in watching YouTube, let alone making his own videos, but videos posted to his Teslatunity channel are closing in on a million views in just about a year.
"I filmed how amazing Autopilot was and needed a place to put it, so I could share it on the forum, so I just threw it on YouTube," Bodner says. "The next video was about how I wash my carthere were a lot of questions about the 2-bucket method so I thought I would share. That video got such a good response that I realized something was there and just kept putting out more content."
His answer to why he loves Tesla cars? "Ahhh that question seems so easy and yet so hard at the same time, I don't think it's just one thing, but all things."
Ryan McCaffrey says his enthusiasm started when he got to drive the original Roadster in 2009 and fell in love with the car and the technology.
"There are a lot of great cars out there, but none of them are a genuine paradigm shift compared to everything you've ever driven in your entire life the way a Tesla is," McCaffrey says. "The fact that Tesla as a company leans into the 'fun' aspects of the car, toothe fart sounds, the Spaceballs references, the Easter eggs, video gamesmakes it feel like Tesla itself is having as much fun making these cars as we are driving them."
Tesla Daily's Rob Maurer agrees. "The way I describe what I do to friends is to say, 'If I'd have been doing this 10-15 years ago, I'd have been talking about Apple," he said. "That's the sort of intense consumer interest Tesla has been able to generate and the only other company that has captured my interest at a level similar to Tesla. People love cars (especially fast cars). People love technology. I'd be hard pressed to come up with an overlap that could generate more interest. Then you throw Elon Musk in the mix."
Editor's Note: PCMag and IGN are both owned by Ziff Davis.
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Secret Weapon In The EV Revolution - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- A Tiny Piece of Tape Tricked Teslas Into Speeding Up 50 MPH - WIRED - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Failure To Reach $1000 Will Give Investors Bubble Vertigo - Time To Sell - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020