Tesla has been throwing away computers without wiping them leaving some customer account compromised. Be aware if Tesla ever had to replace your onboard computer.
With Tesla Autopilot computer upgrade and recently announced MCU2 upgrade, on top of regular replacements for performance issues, Tesla is changing a lot of computers in its vehicles today.
Now the fact that a lot of used Tesla computers are showing up on eBay raises some questions about Teslas process to get rid of those computers, which can often contain sensitive information, like Google or Spotify usernames and passwords.
Even more troubling, these passwords dont seem to be encrypted.
Thats the kind of information that can be used to hack someone and can be described as compromising customer accounts.
Hacker Green acquired several of these computers and managed to find a lot of that kind of information about previous owners.
Fortunately, the first thing he did is reach out to Tesla and let them know about the vulnerability.
The automaker told him that they were launching an investigation into the issue, but the investigation didnt seem to be taken too seriously.
Green told Electrek that when he shared the VINs of the units he had with Tesla, they told him that those units were stolen from them.
However, it appears that Tesla might be stretching the meaning of the word stolen.
Green shared proof with Electrek that these computers can be found in Teslas service center dumpsters.
He wrote on Twitter:
I got in contact with Tesla security via proper channels and they are looking into it. But considering units are thrown into trash as per the procedure not even sure this can be pinned on anybody. At most why did not you whack it with a hammer at least?
Tesla claims that the computers are supposed to be wiped before being thrown away, but he is only aware of a reset procedure that can be done at the factory but not at service centers.
Either people dumpster dive to grab them and sell them to resellers and they end up on eBay, which is hardly stealing, or Tesla employees themselves sell the computers.
You can see plenty of them available for sale on the website:
Green told Electrek that he even heard about Tesla employees selling computers to third-party Tesla repairers:
I know some people on the unauthorized repair side and they say Tesla staff comes and brings such units
He added on Twitter:
Tesla told Green that they would contact people who are affected by this leak of information, but they havent given a clear timeline on that.
Electrek contacted Tesla about the issue and we will update if we get an answer.
Well, thats dumb.
First off, these computers shouldnt end up in dumpsters in the first place, they should be recycled, but if they do, they should obviously be wiped. And, even if these things are found, this information should be encrypted so it is at least extremely difficult to ascertain the important information should one of these fall into the wrong hands.
There are going to be thousands of Tesla computers in that situation in the coming months and likely hundreds of thousands over the next year. Kind of a waste of equipment if you ask me.
Tesla needs to have a way better procedure in place before that can happen and they need to make it right for people who have already got a computer upgrade and let them know they should change their passwords.
If you have linked accounts on your Tesla and had your computer upgraded, you should definitely do that.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Subscribe to Electrek on YouTube for exclusive videos and subscribe to the podcast.
Read the rest here:
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - July 14th, 2020
- Test-driving this obscure 1997 sports car convinced Elon Musk to make electric cars and invest in Tesla - CNBC - July 14th, 2020
- Nasdaq stocks led by Tesla continue their blistering run while chill envelops rest of the market - CNBC - July 14th, 2020
- Tesla stock surges more than 200% in 2020 three experts on what comes next - CNBC - July 14th, 2020
- Ford Mustang Mach-E Looks Massive And Bulky Next To Tesla Model 3 - InsideEVs - July 14th, 2020
- NYU's 'Dean of Valuation' on Tesla's massive run: The virus 'handicapped' its competition - CNBC - July 14th, 2020
- Tesla and NIO Investors Beware: The IPO of Another EV Maker Is Coming Down the Pike - The Motley Fool - July 14th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- Nikola CEO explains the competition with Tesla - CNN - July 14th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - July 13th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - July 13th, 2020
- Test-driving this obscure 1997 sports car convinced Elon Musk to make electric cars and invest in Tesla - CNBC - July 13th, 2020
- Tesla scraps plans for its bargain version of the Model Y - CNN - July 13th, 2020
- Ford Mustang Mach-E Looks Massive And Bulky Next To Tesla Model 3 - InsideEVs - July 13th, 2020
- Nasdaq stocks led by Tesla continue their blistering run while chill envelops rest of the market - CNBC - July 13th, 2020
- Tesla stock surges more than 200% in 2020 three experts on what comes next - CNBC - July 13th, 2020
- Tesla and NIO Investors Beware: The IPO of Another EV Maker Is Coming Down the Pike - The Motley Fool - July 13th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- Tesla adds $14 billion in a day to its valuation, leaves auto giants to eat dust - Hindustan Times - July 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk about to get another $1.8 billion payday from Tesla - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Ex-Ford CEO Called It On Tesla [TSLA]: I Think The Stock Is Heading Higher - CleanTechnica - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla gets tax break for proposed $1 billion factory in Austin, Texas - FreightWaves - July 12th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Tesla, Red Rock Resorts, Fitbit and more - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Nikola CEO explains the competition with Tesla - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Nasdaq Hits 3rd Straight Record as Tesla Tops $1,500 and Zoom Zooms to New Highs - Motley Fool - July 12th, 2020
- Top Wall Street analysts are betting on stocks like Tesla and Uber for the third quarter - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- DeSantis: More than 70 Tesla charging stations coming to the Turnpike in Orlando - FOX 35 Orlando - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla and Nikola Stock Have Been on Fire. A California Law Could Drive More Gains. - Barron's - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla cuts price of Model Y SUV by $3,000, Electrek says - Reuters - July 11th, 2020
- Powerwall installation Washington State | Tesla - July 11th, 2020
- Analyst: Tesla And Nikola Are The 'Silent Short Seller Killers' - Benzinga - July 11th, 2020
- Cars, a cocktail and a celebrity: South Koreans succumb to Tesla fever - Reuters - July 11th, 2020
- WIRE Buzz: Malorie movie in early stages; Roswell creator exits; and Tesla trailer - SYFY WIRE - July 11th, 2020
- Tesla electric hatchback: Elon Musk says new car might be designed in Germany - Electrek - July 11th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Toyota, Exxon Mobil, Nikola and Ford Motor Company - Yahoo Finance - July 11th, 2020
- The Nikola Tesla inventions that should have made ... - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- What Is Tesla's 'Million Mile' Battery and When Will It Be Revealed? - Newsweek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla's Return to Work Playbook: Guidance in the Face of Law Violation - Occupational Health and Safety - May 19th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Tesla's full self-driving price to increase July 1 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 19th, 2020
- Panasonic and Tesla talking battery spend again | Automotive Industry News - just-auto.com - May 19th, 2020
- Wall Street still loves Elon Musk and Tesla. Here's why - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Check out Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla Model 3 thief thwarted, locked inside the car by the owner's phone - NZME - May 19th, 2020
- Check Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Teslas readying a million mile battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs - The Verge - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is a Winner, but Its Valuation Is Getting Stretched - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla owner stops carjacking, thanks to connected Model 3 and dumb thief - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Model X with extreme mileage racked up $29,000 in repair/maintenance and thats good - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Adaptive Biotechnologies, Facebook, Tesla and more - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Kia to take on Tesla, Porsche and everybody with a sports crossover EV: report - Driving - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla shares are up more than 7% since Elon Musk said the stock was 'too high' - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla (band) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Price, Quote, History & News ... - May 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk lied about the EPAs Tesla Model S test, agency claims - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla secures $565 million loan for Shanghai factory - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla-Swapped 2004 Ford F-450 Super Duty Is an Electric Truck for the People - The Drive - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla releases new update with improved charging map, toybox, and more - Electrek - May 9th, 2020
- Other Automakers Paid Tesla a Record $354 Million Last Quarter - Car and Driver - May 9th, 2020
- This Tesla Is So Rare, Even Elon Musk Doesn't Have It. But You Could - Gear Patrol - May 9th, 2020
- Why The Tesla Cybertruck Should Be Built In Texas - CarBuzz - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla has a new product: Autobidder, a step toward becoming an electric utility - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tech Weekender: Musk's tweets cost Tesla $14bn, Xiaomi's privacy issues and TikTok's 2 billion downloads - Moneycontrol - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla to extend furlough for some employees by another week: internal email - Reuters - May 3rd, 2020
- VW admits Teslas lead in software and self-driving in internal leak - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla stock is riding high as investors wait to hear effects of coronavirus - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla GT Is the Muscle Car Frankenstein No One Asked For - autoevolution - May 3rd, 2020
- Teslas are hard to steal, but three were stolen from a dealership on Friday - BGR - May 3rd, 2020
- Drivers in 3 Stolen Teslas Lead Police on Chase Through Northern Virginia - NBC4 Washington - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Keeps Beating Expectations. Heres What Wall Street Is Saying About the Stock. - Barron's - May 1st, 2020
- Model Y Body-In-White May Shed Light On Tesla Glass Incidents - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Banked On Emission Credits For Q1 Beat, But Outlook Is Tough - Trefis - May 1st, 2020
- Former Tesla and Lyft exec Jon McNeill just launched a fund that plans to spin out its own companies - TechCrunch - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Posts a 1Q Profit for the First Time - Morningstar.com - May 1st, 2020
- Nio Is Looking to Catch Up With Tesla in China - Investorplace.com - May 1st, 2020
- Why Tesla Stock Bulls Are About to Get Absolutely Wrecked - CCN.com - May 1st, 2020
- Teslas Salvaged Vehicles: The Red-Headed Stepchild - Teslarati - May 1st, 2020
- VW CEO Worried About Teslas Industry Lead In Autonomous Tech And Software - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- What's in the Offing for Tesla (TSLA) This Earnings Season? - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla releases impressive videos of cars avoiding running over pedestrians - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020