Tesla Inc.s sizable earnings beat prompted some humility from skeptics and is drawing effusive praise from the bull camp.
Tesla TSLA, +10.30% shares rallied more than 12% late Wednesday after the company reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings and gave investors more confidence in the companys cash-flow position. The stock was headed for another record close on Thursday trading.
Tesla executives also sounded upbeat about the year ahead as the company sets out to sell upwards of 500,000 vehicles in 2020.
See more: Tesla surges after earnings beat, vows to sell more than half a million vehicles this year
Baird analyst Ben Kallo began his note to clients by acknowledging Chief Executive Elon Musks assertion that a lot of retail investors actually have a deeper and more accurate insights than many of the big institutional investors and certainly a better insight than many of the analysts, which came during Teslas earnings call.
Given our decision to downgrade when shares were ~$150 lower, we accept the criticism, wrote Kallo, who has a neutral rating on the stock and raised his price target to $650 from $525. He flagged some positive takeaways from the results and conference call, including the factor that China isnt hurting Teslas margins as much as he once thought, but noted that hes looking for a more constructive entry point following the stocks massive recent rally.
Tesla shares have added 54% over the past month and 109% in the last 12 months, as the S&P 500 SPX, +0.31% has increased 1.2% and 21%, respectively, over one- and 12-month spans. The stock was poised for another record close Thursday, which would be its 17th since mid-December, and set an intraday record of $650.88 earlier in the trading session.
Opinion: Tesla is finally delivering on Musks promises, which are only getting bigger
RBC Capital Markets analyst Joseph Spak wrote that some of his assumptions on Tesla were misguided, though he kept an underperform rating on the stock.
We fully admit things are better than we expected and there is a lot of positive news flow and data points going Teslas way, Spak wrote in a note to clients. Highlights from the report included Teslas commentary about increased production capacity and an earlier time frame for Model Y deliveries, but downsides included indications that Shanghai Model 3 production may not have a better margin profile than California production.
Though Spak tweaked his Tesla model to a probability-weighted target and increased his price target to $530 from $315, he still sees the stock as overvalued in his base case.
J.P. Morgans Ryan Brinkman acknowledged that Tesla made progress last year, notably with free-cash flow, but he maintained that the stocks valuation is increasingly disjointed from the fundamentals given its big run up and the reaction to Wednesdays results.
Thats right: for all the talk of a breakout quarter for a hyper-growth company rightfully trading at 96x forward consensus EPS, Tesla in 4Q grew revenue just +2% year over year (despite deliveries +23%) while growing non-GAAP net income just +12% and EPS just +7% (given dilution), wrote Brinkman, who kept his underweight rating on the stock while lifting his price target to $260 from $240. The new target is almost 60% below Teslas current stock price.
Opinion: Facebook stock is falling because it is a victim of its own success
For bulls, however, the report was an opportunity for a victory lap.
Its becoming clear, in our view, that Tesla is on a path toward becoming the worlds only relevant publicly listed auto maker, wrote Piper Sandlers Alexander Potter.
Potter is impressed by Teslas continued frugality, which prompted him to cut his capital-expenditure forecast. We are also giving Tesla more credit for operating leverage, because even after this quarters q/q increase in spending, Teslas thriftiness continues to impress. Demand, according to Potter is a non-issue as the company prepares for new products and apparently, an overwhelming number of Cybertruck orders.
He has an overweight rating on Tesla shares and took his price target up to $729 from $553.
Canaccord Genuitys Jed Dorsheimer said that the biggest near-term risk for Tesla is its expectation for a one- to one-and-a-half week delay in the ramp of Shanghai Model 3 production due to the coronavirus outbreak.
See also: Opinion: More fuel for Tesla? Stock could join the S&P 500 by the end of the year
Given the numerous positive data points that were discussed and the cornerstone of continued profitability and (free-cash flow) generation, we view the company as solidly positioned as the leader of the EV revolution, he wrote. Dorsheimer rates the stock a buy while lifting his target to $750 from $515.
Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives did not hold back in his praise for the company, even though he remains on the sidelines. Last night completes a comeback story for the ages from the dark days seen last April, with clear momentum around global electric-vehicle demand inflection heading into 2020 and beyond with Tesla leading the charge, he wrote.
Ives expects Teslas bull party to continue as Shanghai demand looks very strong. He was encouraged by the companys 22.5% automotive gross margin, which he said was extremely impressive on the heels of the lower-margin Model 3 shift.
He raised his target on Teslas stock to $710 from $550, while keeping a neutral rating. Still, Ives said a run up to $1,000 is within the realm of possibility.
In our opinion, the new long-term bull case scenario on the stock is $1,000 with Teslas ability to ramp production and demand in the key China region during the course of 2020/2021 a major swing factor on the stock and $20 of earnings power by 2024, Ives wrote.
Staff writer Claudia Assis contributed to this report.
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Secret Weapon In The EV Revolution - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- A Tiny Piece of Tape Tricked Teslas Into Speeding Up 50 MPH - WIRED - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Failure To Reach $1000 Will Give Investors Bubble Vertigo - Time To Sell - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020