Tesla Inc. stock already left the orbit, but, on Earth, here comes the hard part for the Silicon Valley car maker.
Tesla TSLA, +10.30% is scheduled to report fourth-quarter earnings after the bell on Wednesday, with a conference call with analysts set for 6:30 p.m. Eastern. The call will be webcast.
The company will have to convince investors that its fundamentals justify the string of record highs the stock has hit since mid-December.
Related: Elon Musk stands to get even richer if Teslas market cap tops $100 billion
That includes whether demand for its cars is intact, production is smooth, and margins improve, all the while making sure its new factories wont take an outsized bite of its balance sheet, which has to remain healthy.
Investors will zero in on Teslas 2020 sales outlook, said Garrett Nelson, an analyst with CFRA.
Generally, we think the recent stock price run-up has greatly raised the bar in terms of expectations and elevated the risk of disappointment, he said.
The shares most recently hit a record close of $572.20 on Thursday, pushing the companys market cap north of $100 billion. Analysts have called the rally meteoric,extremely unusual, and, in a recent note from analysts at UBS, that left the orbit bit.
Heres what to expect:
Earnings: Analysts polled by FactSet expect Tesla to report GAAP earnings of 43 cents a share, which would compare with GAAP earnings of 78 cents a share in the fourth quarter of 2018. Adjusted profit is seen at $1.77 a share, which would compare with $1.93 a share in the year-ago period.
Estimize, a crowdsourcing platform that gathers estimates from Wall Street analysts as well as buy-side analysts, fund managers, company executives, academics and others, is expecting earnings of $1.81 a share.
Revenue: The analysts surveyed by FactSet expect sales of $6.9 billion for Tesla. That would be down from $7.2 billion a year ago. Estimize sees revenue of $7.1 billion for the company.
Stock movement: Tesla shares have gained 93% in the past 12 months. That compares with an advance of 25% and 18% for the S&P 500 index SPX, +0.31% and Dow Jones Industrial Average. DJIA, +0.43%
What else to expect: The recent rally got a boost in early January from Teslas better-than-expected fourth-quarter deliveries. The 2019 sales met Teslas guidance range for the year, to the surprise of many on the Street, who thought it had been set too high.
Tesla is expected to set a 2020 delivery guidance range, amid concerns that expiring electric-vehicle credits in the U.S. and other big markets for Tesla could chip away at the demand.
Tesla is unlikely to disappoint in that regard thanks to the strength of demand for its vehicles in China and Europe, analysts at Wedbush said in a recent note.
Hitting a 500,000 delivery mark in 2020 is well within reach and theres potential for Tesla to reach the elusive and game changing 1 million overall delivery vehicle mark potentially two years ahead of our original 2024 projections, the analysts said.
Then theres margins. Tesla can become the most profitable U.S. car maker, seeing that it is not sagged with any legacy business, the analysts with UBS said in their note.
With a 2025 view, Tesla is well positioned to make higher margins than incumbent premium OEMs ever did, they said. However, margins and (free cash flow) will likely be under pressure around major product launches.
See also: Teslas market cap is now bigger than Fords was at its peak
Cannibalization of Model 3 by the upcoming Model Y and the phasing out of U.S. tax credits are other near-term issues, they said. And incumbents are likely to re-gain EV market share, leading to a decline in Teslas share, which is currently around 15%, the UBS analysts said.
Investors will also focus on the near-term financial impact of the China factory start-up, CFRAs Nelson said. Celebrating the delivery of made-in-China Model 3s, Chief Executive Elon Musk made splashes with his happy dance.
Much of the recent share rally has been due to short covering, which has created a coiled spring effect in the stock price, Nelson said.
As Tesla short interest has come down from nearly 25% last June to less than 15%, the data suggests that a lot of the shorts have capitulated, so the spring is a lot less coiled now and we think theres room for the shares to fall absent a blockbuster earnings release.
Other topics of interest include any details related to the Model Y debut, expected for midyear, and about the new Tesla factory in Germany.
See the article here:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Secret Weapon In The EV Revolution - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- A Tiny Piece of Tape Tricked Teslas Into Speeding Up 50 MPH - WIRED - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Failure To Reach $1000 Will Give Investors Bubble Vertigo - Time To Sell - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020