After we published Andrew McMahons concerns about the Tesla All-Weather Kit, we left a question to answer with more evidence. It was this one: Can a fix be worse than the defect it aims to correct? We can now say for sure it can, as the video above reveals. It was made by MacMahon after he and James Watson, from the Wildcard Automotive Studio, decided to check the mudflaps. The result can be seen above.
We will let McMahon tell you what he found with his own words.
As you can see, McMahon was really disappointed to see how much dirt the mudflaps had collected from January 6 to January 12. In less than a week, it made the car look like if it had been on an off-road trail. He even compares that to a mudflap on a Volvo V60, which you can see below.
I live in downtown Toronto. Thats normal city driving, no country driving.
Unlike what we believed, Tesla does not offer the installation of the All-Weather Kit for free. It just gives it away. In case you want the company to put them in place, you have to pay for that.
The left side mudguard has a bigger gap than the one on the right side. I got them for free from Tesla and had to pay 29 bucks to install. The reason why I chose for Tesla to install them was that if anything went wrong with them, it would be Teslas responsibility.
To be more precise, McMahon paid C$29,66.
It would not be strange if this price included the cost of the mudflaps. Most owners may prefer the company to install them for the same reasons McMahon gave us.
One of the reasons for Teslas mudguards not to be so effective is that they use the current bores of the car to fix them. More effective mudflaps require new drillings, which may also pose a risk for rust. McMahon has made a picture comparing the Tesla solution and one with the aftermarket mudguards. On the left, you see the aftermarket solution. On the right, Tesla's.
Besides McMahons findings, we have also spoken to Yannick Lachance. He owns Valkyrie PPF Solutions. Chaim Edge kindly got in touch with us and let us know who the author was. Lachance also told us everything he could about Teslas solution for paint chipping. He even provided us the original video, unfortunately only in French.
Thank you for having written the article. I can tell you it was not a joke. I had no bad intentions in doing it. It was only to inform people of what is going on.
That was not the first Tesla with the All-Weather Kit Lachance dealt with.
The car belongs to a client that came to my shop for PPF. To do my work, I have to take out the mudguards, and it is always the same thing every time: bolts almost stripped off and mud. None of my clients want me to put it back after seeing that. It is a poisoned present, in my opinion. For those that want mudflaps, we install a different one.
This issue does not affect only the Tesla-sourced mudflaps.
I see this in all molded mudguards. This is why we install the rally model. The underskirt also accumulates a lot of dirt.
We asked Lachance what he thinks is causing this.
It's just a bad design, it doesn't block the hole in the inside fenders, and this allows for debris to fall straight down in the mudguard. There's a drain hole at the bottom, but it's not big enough to let debris out. It also rubs on the side rocker panel, which damages the paint and will eventually cause rust.
That is not the only problem with the free All-Weather Kit. If you still want to install it, get the short one.
If you add the longer version, like in the video, it harms ground clearance because it is so long and this makes debris flow at the back end of the rocker. That leads to stone chips.
In other words...
It's sad to see these beautiful cars get damaged by an upgrade part that is meant to fix issues. It will maybe make them worse in the short term. It's a green car, but it doesn't need to have plants growing in it.
It is worth to remember Tesla decided to give these All-Weather Kits away because there are many cases of Model 3 paint chipping all over the world, especially in countries with cold weather. Not by coincidence, these are the countries in which Tesla is offering the said kits.
Some think this is a problem related to salt on the roads. The problem is that many of these chipping cases happened in cars bought in the summer, soon after being delivered. So there has to be something else causing the issues. Lachance names two reasons.
The design of the car makes it prone to chipping.
That is something Guillaume Andr has already mentioned. The other reason is the same one the Finnish Chamber of Commerce gave a consumer in Finland: the paint is too soft.
I have been putting paint protection film on cars for 12 years. The paint is so fresh out of the plant and right away in the customer's hands that it's curing time is very short. The paint isn't worse than any other manufacturers. The fact that's is still soft when delivered doesn't help.For the paint defects, there's less of them now.
Lachance talks with quite some experience.
We do about ten Model 3 units every month. We are a PPF and paint shop but also like to give our Tesla customers the opportunity to have a one-stop-shop with tire change and accessories. We love the EV community and are prone to do only EVs.
Will Tesla redesign the mudflaps? Will it improve paint curing? Will it offer PPF as a standard item on the lower parts of the Model 3? Those last two solutions would probably be the only effective ways to avoid the chipping some Model 3 owners complain about. Or a new generation of the car, but we suspect it will not happen anytime soon.
Read the original:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Secret Weapon In The EV Revolution - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- A Tiny Piece of Tape Tricked Teslas Into Speeding Up 50 MPH - WIRED - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Failure To Reach $1000 Will Give Investors Bubble Vertigo - Time To Sell - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020