When regulators halted trading on China-based firm Luckin Coffee (NASDAQ:LK), investors sent Nio (NYSE:NIO) stock lower. Yet the fraud by Luckin is a company-specific problem. Nio is in far better shape.
The company posted March delivery numbers that showed a rebound of demand for its vehicles in China. The improving fundamentals suggest that Nio stock may start building on its uptrend that started in early April.
Source: THINK A / Shutterstock.com
Nio posted a 117% month-over-month increase in vehicle deliveries in March. The companys production capacity rebounded, helping its deliveries top 1,533 vehicles in March. That consisted of 1,479 5-seater ES6 SUVs and 54 of the 7-seater ES8s SUVs.
In April, Nio will start delivering an all-new ES8 that has over 180 improvements. Nios CEO, chairman and founder William Bin Li said that in parallel with our continued online sales efforts, our in-store visits have also witnessed a gradual pickup. With the continuous support from our loyal user community, we have seen increasing order backlog since February.
China is still slowly re-opening businesses and returning to normal life after the shutdown caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. As consumers become more upbeat and they become comfortable with buying either online or in offline sales channels, expect Nios growth to accelerate.
China has the largest electric vehicle market in the world and is looking to support Nio. But the company has plenty of work ahead of it.
On April 7, Nio reported that it had delivered a combined 3,838 ES6 and ES8 vehicles in Q1, about 10% above the midpoint of its prior guidance.
But Nio has said it expected many challenges to confront China and the global economy, which will have an impact on the auto industry in the country. Nio, however, believes it will stand out from the competition.
Teslas (NASDAQ:TSLA) 11,280 vehicle sales easily outpaced Nios ES6 sales. So, to catch up, Nio will need to offer features that are on par with that of Tesla. Nio announced two driver assistance features for the ES6 and ES8 models. Navigation On Pilot will allow the vehicle to drive on and off ramp, overtake, merge lanes and cruise according to planned routes.
Self Automatic Parking Assist with Fusion uses surround-view cameras and ultrasonic radars. When active, it will detect parking spots by seeing parking space lines. It will then search for, detect, and choose parking spots.
Nio said it would increase the ES8s range. And in September, it will start delivering the EC6, a smart electric Coupe SUV.
Nio has focused on two growth drivers. First, it will continue seeking to expand its sales network. Having more dealerships will weigh on its costs. But the 200 dealerships it plans to add by the end of 2020 will support its sales growth. Second, Nio relies on users referrals to support its sales growth. As long as customers are satisfied and Nio keeps adding features they need, management expects users referrals to increase.
Nios minimal gross margin increase, despite higher sequential sales volume, is a concern. Sales of the base version of its ES6 vehicle lowered its average selling price. Since its ES8 sales did not increase, its gross margin did not rise by much. If the companys sales mix changes for the better, so will Nios margins.
Investors who forecast a perpetuity growth rate of only 1.5% and use a five-year discounted cash flow growth exit model will assign Nio stock a value of $3.40 (click on this link to test different assumptions on finbox.io). That is in-line with the average analyst price target of $3.50 per share.
ChrisLau is acontributing author for InvestorPlace.com and numerous other financial sites. Chris has over 20 years of investing experience in the stock market and runs the Do-It-Yourself Value Investing Marketplace on Seeking Alpha. He shares his stock picks so readers get original insight that helps improve investment returns.As of this writing, the author did not hold a position in any of the aforementioned securities.
- Elon Musk about to get another $1.8 billion payday from Tesla - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Nasdaq stocks led by Tesla continue their blistering run while chill envelops rest of the market - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla stock surges more than 200% in 2020 three experts on what comes next - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Ex-Ford CEO Called It On Tesla [TSLA]: I Think The Stock Is Heading Higher - CleanTechnica - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla adds $14 billion in a day to its valuation, leaves auto giants to eat dust - Hindustan Times - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla gets tax break for proposed $1 billion factory in Austin, Texas - FreightWaves - July 12th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Tesla, Red Rock Resorts, Fitbit and more - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Nikola CEO explains the competition with Tesla - CNN - July 12th, 2020
- Nasdaq Hits 3rd Straight Record as Tesla Tops $1,500 and Zoom Zooms to New Highs - Motley Fool - July 12th, 2020
- Top Wall Street analysts are betting on stocks like Tesla and Uber for the third quarter - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- DeSantis: More than 70 Tesla charging stations coming to the Turnpike in Orlando - FOX 35 Orlando - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla and Nikola Stock Have Been on Fire. A California Law Could Drive More Gains. - Barron's - July 12th, 2020
- Tesla cuts price of Model Y SUV by $3,000, Electrek says - Reuters - July 11th, 2020
- Powerwall installation Washington State | Tesla - July 11th, 2020
- Analyst: Tesla And Nikola Are The 'Silent Short Seller Killers' - Benzinga - July 11th, 2020
- Cars, a cocktail and a celebrity: South Koreans succumb to Tesla fever - Reuters - July 11th, 2020
- WIRE Buzz: Malorie movie in early stages; Roswell creator exits; and Tesla trailer - SYFY WIRE - July 11th, 2020
- Tesla electric hatchback: Elon Musk says new car might be designed in Germany - Electrek - July 11th, 2020
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Tesla, Toyota, Exxon Mobil, Nikola and Ford Motor Company - Yahoo Finance - July 11th, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos ... - May 19th, 2020
- The Nikola Tesla inventions that should have made ... - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Nikola Tesla - Inventions, Facts & Death - HISTORY - May 19th, 2020
- What Is Tesla's 'Million Mile' Battery and When Will It Be Revealed? - Newsweek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla's Return to Work Playbook: Guidance in the Face of Law Violation - Occupational Health and Safety - May 19th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Tesla's full self-driving price to increase July 1 - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 19th, 2020
- Panasonic and Tesla talking battery spend again | Automotive Industry News - just-auto.com - May 19th, 2020
- Wall Street still loves Elon Musk and Tesla. Here's why - CNN - May 19th, 2020
- Check out Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 19th, 2020
- Tesla Model 3 thief thwarted, locked inside the car by the owner's phone - NZME - May 19th, 2020
- Check Teslas impressive chart of pandemics impact on Supercharger use - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Teslas readying a million mile battery that could greatly lower the cost of EVs - The Verge - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is a Winner, but Its Valuation Is Getting Stretched - Yahoo Finance - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla owner stops carjacking, thanks to connected Model 3 and dumb thief - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla Model X with extreme mileage racked up $29,000 in repair/maintenance and thats good - Electrek - May 15th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Adaptive Biotechnologies, Facebook, Tesla and more - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Kia to take on Tesla, Porsche and everybody with a sports crossover EV: report - Driving - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla shares are up more than 7% since Elon Musk said the stock was 'too high' - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla (band) - Wikipedia - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Stock Price, Quote, History & News ... - May 9th, 2020
- Elon Musk lied about the EPAs Tesla Model S test, agency claims - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla secures $565 million loan for Shanghai factory - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla-Swapped 2004 Ford F-450 Super Duty Is an Electric Truck for the People - The Drive - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla releases new update with improved charging map, toybox, and more - Electrek - May 9th, 2020
- Other Automakers Paid Tesla a Record $354 Million Last Quarter - Car and Driver - May 9th, 2020
- This Tesla Is So Rare, Even Elon Musk Doesn't Have It. But You Could - Gear Patrol - May 9th, 2020
- Why The Tesla Cybertruck Should Be Built In Texas - CarBuzz - May 9th, 2020
- Tesla has a new product: Autobidder, a step toward becoming an electric utility - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla has been getting rid of computers without wiping them compromising customer accounts - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tech Weekender: Musk's tweets cost Tesla $14bn, Xiaomi's privacy issues and TikTok's 2 billion downloads - Moneycontrol - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla to extend furlough for some employees by another week: internal email - Reuters - May 3rd, 2020
- VW admits Teslas lead in software and self-driving in internal leak - Electrek - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla stock is riding high as investors wait to hear effects of coronavirus - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2020
- Tesla GT Is the Muscle Car Frankenstein No One Asked For - autoevolution - May 3rd, 2020
- Teslas are hard to steal, but three were stolen from a dealership on Friday - BGR - May 3rd, 2020
- Drivers in 3 Stolen Teslas Lead Police on Chase Through Northern Virginia - NBC4 Washington - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Keeps Beating Expectations. Heres What Wall Street Is Saying About the Stock. - Barron's - May 1st, 2020
- Model Y Body-In-White May Shed Light On Tesla Glass Incidents - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Banked On Emission Credits For Q1 Beat, But Outlook Is Tough - Trefis - May 1st, 2020
- Former Tesla and Lyft exec Jon McNeill just launched a fund that plans to spin out its own companies - TechCrunch - May 1st, 2020
- Tesla Posts a 1Q Profit for the First Time - Morningstar.com - May 1st, 2020
- Why Tesla Stock Bulls Are About to Get Absolutely Wrecked - CCN.com - May 1st, 2020
- Teslas Salvaged Vehicles: The Red-Headed Stepchild - Teslarati - May 1st, 2020
- VW CEO Worried About Teslas Industry Lead In Autonomous Tech And Software - InsideEVs - May 1st, 2020
- What's in the Offing for Tesla (TSLA) This Earnings Season? - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla releases impressive videos of cars avoiding running over pedestrians - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Y Test Drive & Impressions: The Good & The Bad - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas latest self-driving visualization comes to life in this impressive picture - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Teslas acquisition of DeepScale starts to pay off with new IP in machine learning - Electrek - April 22nd, 2020
- Fisker Reveals Its Answer To The Tesla Cybertruck - CleanTechnica - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Stock Rose for the 9th Straight Day. Heres Whats Behind Its Run. - Barron's - April 22nd, 2020
- Apple Car research focusing on use of Tesla-style induction motor - AppleInsider - April 22nd, 2020
- What To Expect In Tesla Q1 Earnings - City Index - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla's Bioweapon Filter Is Another Line Of Defense Against COVID-19 - InsideEVs - April 22nd, 2020
- Nio and Tesla turn to live stream events to boost sales - TechNode - April 22nd, 2020
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020