Asking help from our readers always pays off. We recently got an example of that with the Russian Cybertruck, and this case is no different. We had a video of an entirely avoidable crash and no idea of what, when, or where it happened. We did not even know if it really happened to a Tesla Model S, as the video title says, but we had to include that information since it was the original one.
That was not enough to avoid bashing or rude messages trying to defend Tesla of a supposed attack. Some said it was clear it was not a Model S. That it was evident that it did not have Autopilot engaged. Those were the polite remarks. The rest is in the original text. Unfortunately, we had to see all of them in search of relevant tips. Feel free to do it yourself.
It did not matter that we said we were not sure about which car caused the accident despite the video title. We made it clear we wanted to confirm it was a Model S. We wanted to know where and when the whole thing happened. If anyone got injured. If the driver that caused the damages paid for them. We still do, but managed to answer a lot of these questions.
On December 22, on the same day the article was published, the user Sendit told us in the comments where the accident took place. It was in San Diego, more precisely at Mira Mesa Boulevard, at its corner with Lusk Boulevard. In fact, it ended closer to Oberlin Drive, as the map below shows.
After Sendit, we also got the same precise indications from Michael Reid and Alfonso Cuchi. That was how we managed to ask the San Diego Police Department about what occurred there. So far, the SDPD has not replied to our questions.
That would have helped us discover if it was a Model S involved in the crash, but now we count on them for other info. Yaro Shcherbanyuk, the video owner, also got in touch and helped us with the most crucial details of the story.
Shcherbanyuk works at Calimotive.com. He is a dismantler that is specialized in Tesla vehicles. The 2018 Model S 75D of the accident was a salvage unit sold by Copart.com. It had only 12,089 mi on the clock.
I came across this car on the auction. To my surprise, it still had the USB drive plugged in. That was the first out of 50 cars. The accident was in early October.
The video owner has no idea if Autopilot was engaged or not, but he also believes its wrongful use is a plausible explanation for the accident.
My take is that Autopilot was enabled and the driver was not paying attention and only noticed he ran the red light just as he was about to hit the first car and attempted to swerve.
To the situation on the video above, Tesla offers a very clear disclaimer:
Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver. When using Autosteer, hold the steering wheel and be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic. Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present. Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. Always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause serious property damage, injury or death.
That said, raising the hypothesis of it being in use as a plausible explanation for the stupid triple accident is something that can be used against the driver, not against the beta software or Tesla. Especially not with this disclaimer: you have been warned, right?
In this case, the only criticism Tesla could receive is that it cant count on its customers common sense because it is not common. On the contrary: the company should ensure its beta software is being properly used as much as possible.
With the maps, Tesla could only allow it to be activated in areas where it can be. We know there are penalties for failing to use the software the way it should, but this accident shows it may be a good idea to make them even harsher. Tesla owners can decide to destroy their vehicles if they want but crashes normally affect people that have nothing to do with such decisions.
As you can see, it was indeed a Tesla Model S, despite the claims that it wasnt. An almost new one, by the way. Sendit probably witnessed what happened, and we are waiting to hear him about that, as well as the SDPD.
It would be nice to hear what the Tesla driver would have to say about the circumstances, but we doubt he or she will ever show up. It could be worse: Autopilot could be brought to the conversation as a scapegoat like it often is.
A candid report, such as the one Rich Benoit recently gave us on bad financial decisions, would be beneficial to everyone. Something not to repeat. A chance to learn from other peoples mistakes instead of committing them yourself. Such as judging a story without adequately reading it only because you fear what it tells. If you are after the truth and not confirmation bias, it should not matter.
Read the original post:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Secret Weapon In The EV Revolution - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- A Tiny Piece of Tape Tricked Teslas Into Speeding Up 50 MPH - WIRED - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Failure To Reach $1000 Will Give Investors Bubble Vertigo - Time To Sell - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration - CNBC - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020