Tesla Model 3
A division of the U.S. Department of Transportation is looking into driver complaints that Tesla electric vehicles may suddenly accelerate on their own.
CNBC has learned that an independent investor, Brian Sparks, submitted a petition to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and its Office of Defects Investigations asking them to look into the drivers' claims.
The petition includes a collection of 127 complaints that were either submitted to the government by Tesla owners, or others filing on their behalf. These complaints, when tallied, allege that unintended acceleration of Tesla electric vehicles may have contributed to or caused 110 crashes and 52 injuries.
Sparks said he conducted primary research and submitted the petition, which CNBC obtained, because he was moved by the personal story of Jennifer Terry. Sparks is currently shorting Tesla stock, but has hedged his bets and been long shares of Tesla in the past.
Terry was driving a new 2019 Tesla Model 3 in the summer of 2019, she says, when the vehicle's systems apparently failed and the car accelerated suddenly. She regained control of the Model 3, but was badly shaken by the incident.
She told CNBC she notified Tesla and requested an immediate service appointment, but the company offered her an appointment that was several weeks out. Just one week later, while she was waiting to have the car evaluated, the same thing happened to her again. This time, what Terry describes as sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) led to a four-car crash that injured two people. In her driver complaint to NHTSA in July 2019, Terry also said that some airbags in her vehicle failed to deploy.
Terry said on Friday that, although she has requested data and a resolution from the company, Tesla has yet to provide any diagnosis regarding what happened within her vehicle.
Sparks told CNBC, "I briefly looked on the NHTSA website to see if other Tesla drivers experienced the same. I didn't expect to see such a large number of [sudden unintended acceleration] complaints, most with similar fact patterns. That's when I decided to dig in."
NHTSA said, in a notice about the petition, that the scope of these allegations are broad and could apply to 500,000 Tesla vehicles including Model 3, Model S and Model X sedans and SUVs, made from 2013 through 2019.
Once it evaluates the contents of the petition, NHTSA -- which has the power to mandate vehicle recalls, or recalls of components and other technology in vehicles -- will decide if it should open a formal probe. If it decides not to offer a formal probe, it is expected to say why not, with an entry on a federal registry. The NHTSA investigator assigned to evaluate the petition is Ajit Alkondon.
Historically, the Department of Transportation (and NHTSA) receives myriad complaints about possible unintended acceleration incidents in a wide number of vehicles.
Both evaluated Toyota and Lexus vehicles in the 2000s to determine if defects in their electrical systems led to sudden acceleration and crashes. Many incidents that drivers ascribe to unintended acceleration, upon investigation, are found to be caused by driver errors, like pedal misapplication.
Tesla vehicles include newer technologies, such as the company's signature advanced driver assistance system, Autopilot, and "Ludicrous mode" acceleration, which allows drivers of some Model 3 variants to go from 0 to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds.
Tesla's press and investor relations teams did not respond to a request for comment.
See original here:
- Tesla Model Prices, Photos, News, Reviews and Videos | Autoblog - February 29th, 2020
- A look at all the different Tesla models, including its Cybertruck - Fox Business - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla (unit) - Wikipedia - February 29th, 2020
- Is The Model Y Truly The Best Tesla Yet? - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Power Line: Tesla's solar slide, and the top battery industries - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- Volvo Follows Tesla's Lead on EVs by Building Its Own Batteries - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Teslas Autopilot keeps causing its cars to crash - Vox.com - February 29th, 2020
- Kevin Rooke: The Genius of Tesla Superchargers - CleanTechnica - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla's Autopilot Fatality Demonstrates That the World Isn't Ready for Self-Driving Cars - Inc. - February 29th, 2020
- Gene Munster On Apple's Future, Tesla's Valuation And The 2020 Election - Benzinga - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla And PG&E To Build World's Largest Battery Farm - Yahoo Finance - February 29th, 2020
- Road-Raging Subaru Driver Attacks A Tesla With Mom And Kids Inside - InsideEVs - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla reports fully autonomous miles for first time in years, but its nothing to get excited about - Electrek - February 29th, 2020
- From Hummer to Tesla: Breaking down the electric truck battle - The Providence Journal - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Only 12.2 Miles of Autonomous Mode Testing in 2019 - Car and Driver - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Getting Hammered on Coronavirus Fears, but It Isnt Capitulation - Barron's - February 29th, 2020
- Tesla offers Model Y customers a cheat code to get delivery quicker - Fox Business - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Followers Are Trying to Piggyback Off Elon Musks Sales Wins - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- Turnpike Authority teams with Tesla to more than triple EV chargers - NJBIZ - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Biggest Advantage in the Auto Industry - Motley Fool - February 27th, 2020
- Virgin Galactic Stock Is Nothing Like Tesla Its Light-Years Worse - CCN.com - February 27th, 2020
- Bombs, bats, ants and now trees Teslas big green hurdle in Germany - MarketWatch - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Voltage Reduced at Jefferies on Valuation Concern - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla Helps Solve Hit-And-Run Mystery In Olive Garden Parking Lot - CBS Denver - February 27th, 2020
- Teslas Secret Weapon In The EV Revolution - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020
- A Tiny Piece of Tape Tricked Teslas Into Speeding Up 50 MPH - WIRED - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla's Failure To Reach $1000 Will Give Investors Bubble Vertigo - Time To Sell - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Tesla is 'bitcoin on wheels' - Fox Business - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 will be the most shocking year in Tesla's history but not for any of the usual reasons - Business Insider Nordic - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Racks Up Another Record Year (and Another Loss) - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Cyberphone is an iPhone 11 Pro designed to look like Tesla Cybertruck - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla unveils new Model Y wheels: berturbine and Induction wheels - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear and is now the world's No. 2 automaker by market capitalization - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Energy is back to growth, thanks to cheap solar subscriptions and Solarglass - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Here's what every major analyst had to say about Tesla's big earnings beat - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings win praise even from doubters: We fully admit things are better than we expected - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Jim Cramer on Tesla, Facebook, and Coca-Cola's Earnings - TheStreet - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla says you'll start seeing its futuristic Semi on the road this year - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: Facebook, Microsoft, Tesla, PayPal and more - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Stock Is Rising Ahead of Earnings and Amid Coronavirus Concerns in China - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- YouTuber's Tesla flies over Baxter and Alvarado to gasps and criticism - The Eastsider LA - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is about to release Q4 earnings; heres what to expect - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- The best bullish case ever made for Tesla, according to prominent Tesla bear - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Hacker finds Tesla's S and X getting new battery options, redesigned suspension - Autoblog - January 30th, 2020
- Sapiens (SPNS) and Tesla (TSLA) Are Aggressive Growth Stocks - Zacks.com - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Reports Earnings Today. Heres What to Expect. - Barron's - January 30th, 2020
- Theres only one stock millennials prefer over Amazon and Tesla - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Musk Counters Critics Who Say Tesla Gigafactory In Berlin Will Hurt The Environment - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- Heres How Teslas Stock Could Hit $0 - Forbes - January 30th, 2020
- How Tesla became the world's most overvalued car company - Wired.co.uk - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is Now Worth More than Ford and GM Combined - Visual Capitalist - January 30th, 2020
- Join The Coolest Tesla Conference Call Livestream In The Universe! - CleanTechnica - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla Powerwall helps family save over $8,000 on their power bill - Electrek - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla earnings: Will results help keep the rally alive? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Weekend reads: Are these red flags for Tesla, Apple and Netflix? - MarketWatch - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Jim Cramer said about the stock market on 'Mad Money,' including Apple's quarter, Tesla's high expectations, Masimo CEO - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- Tesla is on a tear, with no end in sight. That means the naysayers' case is in ruins. - Business Insider - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla Driver Loses Control, Hits and Critically Injures Teen Girl in Long Beach - NBC Southern California - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla is now worth more than Ford and GMcombined - Ars Technica - January 19th, 2020
- Why Tesla [TSLA] Is On A Tear No Other Auto Company In The World Thats Growing That Quickly. - CleanTechnica - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla & EV Fans: The Perfect Reason You Should Be 'Going To Miami' - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Bulls And Bears Of The Week: IBM, Microsoft, Tesla And More - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin fans just turned their Tesla car into a full node - The Next Web - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla stock could hit $6,000 per share in the next five years, analyst says - Yahoo Finance - January 19th, 2020
- Why BlackRock May Pump Teslas Stock to the Moon - CCN.com - January 19th, 2020
- Production Of Tesla Semi Set To Kick Off In Second Half Of 2020 - InsideEVs - January 19th, 2020
- Tesla - Paramus - 17 Photos & 17 Reviews - Car Dealers ... - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla's Elon Musk approaches $346M payout as market value soars - CNET - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla is now the most valuable US automaker ever - CNN - January 14th, 2020
- If the Telsa Rally Left You Behind, Heres What to Do - Barron's - January 14th, 2020
- Ride on Tesla's Hottest Run With These ETFs - Yahoo Finance - January 14th, 2020
- How Big Is The Tesla Model Y? - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Man caught on camera using knife to vandalize Tesla in Conifer - FOX 31 Denver - January 14th, 2020
- How the man who challenged Tesla went bankrupt - Business Insider - January 14th, 2020
- This simulator company reverse-engineered the Tesla Nrburgring lap - Ars Technica - January 14th, 2020
- Tuesday's calls of the day: Apple, Tesla, Netflix, Five Below & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla faces protest at Gigafactory 4 site over cutting down the forest - Electrek - January 14th, 2020
- Tesla All-Weather Kit: The Correction Is Worse Than The Defect - InsideEVs - January 14th, 2020
- Monday's analyst calls of the day: Tesla, Nvidia, Microsoft & more. - CNBC - January 14th, 2020
- Jim Cramer breaks down the rallies behind Tesla, Beyond Meat and Lululemon - CNBC - January 14th, 2020