Its been nearly a month since the state Senate voted through a revenue plan that would fund the state budgetif the House agrees to it.
But Harrisburg watchdogs are still poring over it to figure out where money is going.
The right-leaning Commonwealth Foundation has released a report detailing instances where senators slipped spending into a bill meant to fund the budget.
All told, the chambers fiscal code bill includes $65 million thats split up among several dozen groups deemed worthy of the money.
The process is colloquially called earmarking.
Commonwealth Foundation Director Nathan Benefield said recipientslike hospitals, schools, or townsare hard to determine, because they arent listed by name.
It says like, well this is open to any organization thats in a third-class county, in a second-class city, with a population of 35,000, Benefield said. And its only one organization that fits that definition.
The foundation is on a multi-year quest to make so-called earmarks more transparent. Benefield said this year, they spent several weeks studying the fiscal code and still werent totally able to figure out where all the earmarked money was going.
He added, putting spending into the fiscal code makes it easier to use taxpayer dollars as political collateral.
Lawmakers who vote the right way or vote the way leadership wants them to are going to get earmarks in their districtand those earmarks are traded, basically, for votes on legislation, he said.
Lawmakers have defended their freedom to have some discretionary spending. And Senate GOP spokeswoman Jenn Kocher noted, the process for allocating the money isnt without oversight measures.
People have to make applications for them, they have to go through and publicly apply and fulfill all the requirements from the specific departments from which theyre receiving the money, she said.
The Commonwealth Foundation wants the earmarks to be itemized in the actual budget spending plan instead of the fiscal codesaying that would better-ensure the allocations are fair.
The Senate plans earmarks include money for certain state parks, community colleges, and autism services, among other things.
- Trump to seek nearly 8 percent cut in education spending - Politico - February 10th, 2020
- STAAR Surgical to Report Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year Results on February 26, 2020 - BioSpace - February 10th, 2020
- Where the Democratic Candidates Stand on Medicare for All - The Fiscal Times - February 10th, 2020
- The IMF reports on the macroeconomic situation of the Gambia for the year 2019 - Freedom Newspaper - February 10th, 2020
- Year In Review: School Board Pushed to Gain Traction on School Equity - Loudoun Now - January 5th, 2020
- New rep's anti-Trump rant has GOP seeing red - The Union Leader - January 5th, 2020
- The Puerto Rican Flag's Evolving Colors Say a Lot About the Island's Relationship With Its Colonial Rulers - Mother Jones - January 5th, 2020
- Niinist calls for mutual respect, end to lies and half-truths in public debate - Helsinki Times - January 5th, 2020
- As the White House and the world reject refugees, here's how to help - Norfolk Daily News - January 5th, 2020
- 'Insulting' number of attacks on NHS staff end up in court - HeraldScotland - January 5th, 2020
- The gathering storm in disability services | Opinion - pennlive.com - January 5th, 2020
- Sense of belonging and trust key to progress: Economist - Telegraph India - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 look ahead: Politics and protectionism to dominate Indian economy - Nikkei Asian Review - January 5th, 2020
- Administration outlines public safety initiatives | Letters to the Editor - The Guam Daily Post - January 5th, 2020
- U.P. reps want to use state-owned aircraft to fly back-and-forth - Marquette Mining Journal - January 5th, 2020
- 'All about the money': How women travelling to Canada to give birth could strain the health-care system - CBC.ca - January 5th, 2020
- aLL: Making body positive, plus size fashion the new normal - India Retailing - January 5th, 2020
- The Review - Business Recorder - January 5th, 2020
- Tax Burden: How Tax Burden Affects Economic Freedom - November 25th, 2019
- Democrats Must Heed The Wisdom Of JFK - FITSNews - November 25th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of PSTG earnings conference call or presentation 21-Nov-19 10:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 25th, 2019
- Trump's latest gambit: Send asylum seekers to 'Safe Third Countries' that are less than safe | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2019
- Spartz to seek second term - Current in Carmel - November 25th, 2019
- Angelica Ross Has Had a Phenomenal YearAnd Shes Using It to Open Doors to Others - Observer - November 25th, 2019
- The Trump Administration Gutted the Staff Overseeing $1 Billion in Aid to Iraq. A Watchdog Is Raising Red Flags. - ProPublica - November 25th, 2019
- All but one Scottish university fails to record suicide rates, The Ferret reveals - The National - November 25th, 2019
- On the Proposed Budget for Fiscal Year 2020: Letter to the Finance Minister - Freedom Newspaper - November 25th, 2019
- Removing the burden of SOEs on our people - ft.lk - November 25th, 2019
- Anti-abortion group says 45 now-elected Conservative MPs would vote to restrict abortion access heres why pro-choice experts are concerned - Toronto... - November 25th, 2019
- Cooper: Teacher town hall should talk future, not rehash the past - Chattanooga Times Free Press - November 13th, 2019
- Factbox: Key Points of Spanish Pact for Leftist Government - The New York Times - November 13th, 2019
- Natural gas drilling credits eat up royalty revenue from extraction industry: report - Vancouver Sun - November 13th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor: An Appraisal of Macri - Americas Quarterly - November 13th, 2019
- The U.S. held over 69,000 migrant children in government custody in 2019 - Mashable - November 13th, 2019
- Greg Grandin and the End of the Myth (Review) - NACLA - November 13th, 2019
- Lawmakers huddle to plot next steps on the budget - Politico - November 13th, 2019
- UW pushes for bill to fund project that finds and identifies missing soldiers - The Badger Herald - November 13th, 2019
- Betsy DeVos Might Outlast Them All - HuffPost - November 13th, 2019
- Catholics arrested with other faith groups protesting low cap for refugees - National Catholic Reporter - October 16th, 2019
- Keeping Sudan's Transition on Track - Sudan - ReliefWeb - October 16th, 2019
- Tax policy expert: Closing the tax gap can drive political change - EURACTIV - October 16th, 2019
- Fishing for equity in a regressive tax system - Real Change News - October 16th, 2019
- Andy Puzder: Here are the 7 most ridiculous economic proposals from the Dem debate - Fox Business - October 16th, 2019
- Kansas foster care instability led to surge in runaways, left children vulnerable to sex traffickers - The Ottawa Herald - October 16th, 2019
- What Unites the Right? - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- Andrew Yangs America Should Be Built On The Blockchain - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Kramberger: West Islanders have voting options on the fringe - Montreal Gazette - October 16th, 2019
- History is in the past: candidate | News - The Daily Courier - October 16th, 2019
- More than 1,000 Palestinians in Gaza have bone infections after being shot by Israeli forces - Mondoweiss - October 16th, 2019
- EDITORIAL COMMENT: Economy will rebound, lets be patient - Chronicle - October 16th, 2019
- Singapore Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business ... - May 3rd, 2019
- What is meant by "fiscal freedom"? | eNotes - April 16th, 2019
- Fiscal year - Wikipedia - February 24th, 2019
- United Kingdom Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation ... - February 24th, 2019
- Freedom in the 50 States 2017-2018: California Fiscal ... - November 2nd, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2017-2018: Indiana Fiscal Freedom ... - October 12th, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Overall Freedom ... - August 20th, 2018
- Fiscal Freedom - The Heritage Foundation - August 9th, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Fiscal Freedom | Cato ... - March 10th, 2018
- Fiscal Freedom - heritage.org - March 3rd, 2018
- Index of Economic Freedom - heritage.org - February 28th, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Pennsylvania Fiscal ... - February 6th, 2018
- September Will Be a Mess in Congress; Budget, Spending and Debt Fights Ahead - Indian Country Today Media Network - August 25th, 2017
- Austin Petersen: Why I became a Republican - Washington Examiner - August 25th, 2017
- Hood: Focus on long-term growth - Henderson Daily Dispatch - August 25th, 2017
- Focus on long-term growth - The Mountaineer (subscription) - August 24th, 2017
- Report: Brockton lawmaker is 'big winner' from legislative pay raise vote - Enterprise News - August 24th, 2017
- City Hall staffers see $2.8M in raises through fiscal year 2017 - NY ... - New York Daily News - August 6th, 2017
- GOP leaders enlist Pence, Mulvaney to help with budget woes - Politico - July 14th, 2017
- Freedom Caucus Fires First Volley in New Debt Ceiling Battle | The ... - The Fiscal Times - July 14th, 2017
- The Health Care Security And Freedom Act Of 2017 - Investor's Business Daily - July 14th, 2017
- Trump's looming steel war, explained - The Week Magazine - July 14th, 2017
- US warship sails close to South China Sea island occupied by Beijing - Daily Sabah - July 3rd, 2017
- Commentary: Trump's cuts to education a threat to freedom ... - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2017
- GOP Senators join in call to nix August recess to work on looming issues - Fox News - July 3rd, 2017
- Independence Day and Fiscal Responsibility - Summit NJ News ... - TAPinto.net - July 2nd, 2017
- Moderate House Republicans warn of trouble for tax reform - CNBC - July 2nd, 2017
- Fiscal Freedom | Prometheism.net - Part 31 - June 30th, 2017
- Fiscal Freedom | Prometheism.net - Part 30 - June 30th, 2017
- GST will be India's 'economic freedom': Anil Ambani - Economic Times - June 30th, 2017