Its been nearly a month since the state Senate voted through a revenue plan that would fund the state budgetif the House agrees to it.
But Harrisburg watchdogs are still poring over it to figure out where money is going.
The right-leaning Commonwealth Foundation has released a report detailing instances where senators slipped spending into a bill meant to fund the budget.
All told, the chambers fiscal code bill includes $65 million thats split up among several dozen groups deemed worthy of the money.
The process is colloquially called earmarking.
Commonwealth Foundation Director Nathan Benefield said recipientslike hospitals, schools, or townsare hard to determine, because they arent listed by name.
It says like, well this is open to any organization thats in a third-class county, in a second-class city, with a population of 35,000, Benefield said. And its only one organization that fits that definition.
The foundation is on a multi-year quest to make so-called earmarks more transparent. Benefield said this year, they spent several weeks studying the fiscal code and still werent totally able to figure out where all the earmarked money was going.
He added, putting spending into the fiscal code makes it easier to use taxpayer dollars as political collateral.
Lawmakers who vote the right way or vote the way leadership wants them to are going to get earmarks in their districtand those earmarks are traded, basically, for votes on legislation, he said.
Lawmakers have defended their freedom to have some discretionary spending. And Senate GOP spokeswoman Jenn Kocher noted, the process for allocating the money isnt without oversight measures.
People have to make applications for them, they have to go through and publicly apply and fulfill all the requirements from the specific departments from which theyre receiving the money, she said.
The Commonwealth Foundation wants the earmarks to be itemized in the actual budget spending plan instead of the fiscal codesaying that would better-ensure the allocations are fair.
The Senate plans earmarks include money for certain state parks, community colleges, and autism services, among other things.
- The Social Cost Of COVID-19 - The ASEAN Post - September 8th, 2020
- Stalwarts who founded and built the UNP must be turning in their graves - NewsIn.Asia - September 8th, 2020
- 2020 could be the year of 'peak Democrat' in Colorado. This is why. - Colorado Springs Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Trump and the RNC should remind Cuban voters of Fidel Castro, not their political home - NBC News - August 31st, 2020
- Analysis: Will Uzbekistan's Champion of Reform Stay the Course? - Voice of America - August 31st, 2020
- It's Never Been More Clear: Fare Hikes Won't Save the MBTA - Boston magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Libertarians Took Control of This Small Town. It Didn't End Well. - Washington Monthly - August 31st, 2020
- Point-Counterpoint: Benefits will outweigh the consequences for college football this fall - University of Pittsburgh The Pitt News - August 31st, 2020
- Fact-checking the first night of the 2020 Republican National Convention - Poynter - August 31st, 2020
- Moody's: Coronavirus is accelerating shift to online education - Education Dive - August 31st, 2020
- Corbella: Facts and fairness show public sector workers should have their pay cut - Calgary Herald - August 31st, 2020
- Fred Perpall, CEO of The Beck Group, says Blacks and whites need to be more inclusive - The Dallas Morning News - August 31st, 2020
- Could On-Campus Housing At Local Universities Lead To COVID-19 Outbreaks? - NBC San Diego - August 31st, 2020
- Explained: What to look for in GDP data today - The Indian Express - August 31st, 2020
- 35th District Race Brings Three Options to Clinton, Killingworth, and Westbrook - Zip06.com - August 31st, 2020
- Beware the Chinese Economy Recovery Trap - JAPAN Forward - August 31st, 2020
- At RNC, here's what Trump, Republicans have to say our country and economy if they want to win - Fox Business - August 31st, 2020
- When we went to remote learning I could feel every teacher's eyes on me - Sydney Morning Herald - August 31st, 2020
- Bad bank not only necessary but unavoidable in present situation: Subbarao - THE WEEK - August 31st, 2020
- MORSE denies allegations of INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR State REOPENING is on PAUSE Senate race gets NEGATIVE - Politico - August 10th, 2020
- Austerity: Another officer retires, rehired by Odisha government - The New Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- Media Training Workshop on Using the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act for Investigative Reports on Campaign Fi - The Nigerian Voice - August 10th, 2020
- Detainees concerned for well-being as COVID-19 cases rise in crowded Hays County Jail - Community Impact Newspaper - August 10th, 2020
- The Endowment is Not the Issue - Harvard Political Review - August 10th, 2020
- DAILY VOICE: Four reasons why IT stocks are hitting 52-week highs - Moneycontrol.com - August 10th, 2020
- Kashmiris Lament the Loss of Their Youth - Foreign Policy - August 10th, 2020
- SLPP has creatively disrupted politics; now it has to do the same to the economy - ft.lk - August 10th, 2020
- More freedom to banks, further rate cut not ruled out: 10 key takeaways from policy meet - Economic Times - August 9th, 2020
- In HBO film, Ken Buck suggests he will leave Congress soon - The Denver Post - August 9th, 2020
- Biden's Climate Plan Would Put Us on the Road to Serfdom - The Heartland Institute - August 9th, 2020
- Krishi Kalyan & Cashew India App: Farmers Breathe Sigh of Relief As Government Aims To Revive Indian Agro Industry - The Indian Wire - August 9th, 2020
- How Attacks on Faith, Family, and Conscience Threaten All Our Freedoms - Daily Signal - August 8th, 2020
- Military Alliances, Partnerships Strengthened Through Defense Strategy Execution - Department of Defense - August 8th, 2020
- @theMarket: The Economy Versus the Stock Market - iBerkshires.com - August 8th, 2020
- UK housing is on the agenda. How do we really build back better? - Big Issue - August 8th, 2020
- Letter: You'd think police would have better things to do than silence street musicians - Seacoastonline.com - August 5th, 2020
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo Before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on the Fiscal Year 2021 State Department Budget Request - US Embassy in... - August 5th, 2020
- Brcko District to improve the Fiscal Discipline and Transparency of Expenditure of Public Funds - Sarajevo Times - August 5th, 2020
- How to find a pubmedia job in a pandemic - Current - August 5th, 2020
- Don't tell the separatists but Alberta is lapping up federal aid in record amounts - iPolitics.ca - August 5th, 2020
- Guest opinion: Address to C-SD Class of 2020 - Dorchester Banner - Dorchester Banner - August 5th, 2020
- Making sure the U.S. military remains the best in the world - Brookings Register - August 5th, 2020
- Mailbag: 'Choose life and success' over COVID-19 - Los Angeles Times - August 5th, 2020
- With Trump reelection uncertain, GOP battles over its future - Los Angeles Times - August 4th, 2020
- Leading the Way on Higher Education Reform through Smart Giving - Philanthropy Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- Let's be blunt about it: Russ Diamond is a jerk - The Times of Chester County - August 4th, 2020
- College Football Needs to Change. The Pac-12s Players Are Making That Happen. - The Ringer - August 4th, 2020
- Fiscal Freedom - The Heritage Foundation - August 2nd, 2020
- Gen Z GOP wants to build the Republican Party of the future - Boston Herald - August 2nd, 2020
- Rallying cry: 'There is no reason this statue needs to be moved' - messenger-inquirer - August 2nd, 2020
- No Europe Without the Rule of Law by Harold James - Project Syndicate - August 2nd, 2020
- Today's Headlines and Commentary - Lawfare - August 2nd, 2020
- Faculty push back on how colleges are planning for the fall - Education Dive - August 2nd, 2020
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles Converters Market 2020 Analysis by Geographical Regions, Type and Application Till 2026 with Top Key Players - Owned - August 2nd, 2020
- New release shows the value of the Union to the nations of the UK - GOV.UK - August 2nd, 2020
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: School administration in Middletown is dysfunctional - The Providence Journal - August 1st, 2020
- Making sure US military remains the best - The Highland County Press - August 1st, 2020
- LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: School administration in Middletown is dysfunctional - newportri.com - July 31st, 2020
- LETTER: Eckert 'attempted to deceive voters' - The Daily News of Newburyport - July 31st, 2020
- Iowa regents OK cuts to university budgets, presidential compensation - The Gazette - July 31st, 2020
- Mooney is a freedom fighter | Journal-news | journal-news.net - Martinsburg Journal - July 31st, 2020
- Canadians' right to information should not be compromised: commissioner - Powell River Peak - July 31st, 2020
- Visit Sun Valley: Winter a time to get back to basics - Idaho Mountain Express and Guide - July 31st, 2020
- Editorials from around the US July 25-29 | Promotions | dailytimes.com - dailytimes.com - July 31st, 2020
- Two years after Janus, more workers are exercising their freedom of association - Long Beach Press Telegram - July 31st, 2020
- Two years after Janus, more workers are exercising their freedom of association - LA Daily News - July 30th, 2020
- Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin Health Network and Network Health Help Patients Manage Diabetes Using Glooko and Xealth - Business Wire - July 30th, 2020
- The times demand leadership: A message on the Conservative Party's leadership race - The Suburban Newspaper - July 29th, 2020
- NationalReview.com Launches New Section to Cover Business, Finance, and Economics from a NATIONAL REVIEW sensibility - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- States need greater fiscal space to meet their expenditure obligations: NK Singh - Economic Times - July 27th, 2020
- Canadians' right to information should not be compromised: commissioner - The Tri-City News - July 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus update: Global case tally climbs to 15.6 million and U.S. hits 4.07 million as virus spreads fast in Florida, California and Texas -... - July 25th, 2020
- OPINION EXCHANGE | Wall Street seems oblivious to the political threat of 2020 - Minneapolis Star Tribune - July 24th, 2020
- DIMOND: The Hypocrisy of the Black Lives Matter Movement - Rockland County Times - July 24th, 2020
- The coronavirus crisis shows now is the time to demand more from our government - Wisconsin Examiner - July 24th, 2020
- Despite surge in COVID-19, Trump says: Ill be right eventually its going to disappear - MarketWatch - July 24th, 2020
- Hong Kong is Freer Than You Think - TIME - July 23rd, 2020
- This training may be the secret to achieving long-term financial freedom - The Daily Dot - July 23rd, 2020
- Letters to the editor - 07/23/2020 | Viewpoint | chagrinvalleytoday.com - chagrinvalleytoday.com - July 23rd, 2020
- Best upcoming Xbox Series X games: The top next-gen games for 2020 and beyond - Pocket-lint - July 23rd, 2020