One of four aircraft owned by the Michigan Department of Transportation that state representatives want to use to fly to their districts is pictured. (Photo courtesy of the Lansing State Journal)
LANSING State Rep. Beau LaFave, R-Iron Mountain, co-sponsored a bill earlier this month that would permit Upper Peninsula legislators to request a state aircraft to be used to fly to and from Lansing and a centrally located U.P. airport.
The bill would also let state departments allow legislators to travel on already-scheduled flights.
The bill, HB Number 5301, would establish requirements for the use of state-owned aircraft by a member of the state legislature and legislative staff.
According to the wording of the bill, a member of the state legislature, and legislative staff, may only use state-owned aircraft for transportation in one of the following situations, and only if the member receives prior approval of the use from the Senate majority leader or the speaker of the House of Representatives:
(a) At the time the member requests approval of the use of the state-owned aircraft for transportation, a state agency has already scheduled the use of the state-owned aircraft for official state business that is related to the members request.
(b) The member represents a district located wholly in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and the transportation requested is between Lansing and a centrally located airport in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
According to a Sept. 1, 2018, Michigan Capitol Confidential report, the Michigan Department of Transportation has spent over $5.6 million on five aircraft over the past three years, a Freedom of Information Act request found. The aircraft were used in 2015-16 to transport officials and staff from the state Department of Environmental Quality, Department of Health & Human Services, the Office of the Governor, the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, the Department of Natural Resources and the Michigan State Police, as well as at least one state university.
The Michigan Department of Transportation owns five aircraft, which state government agencies regularly use, particularly the Michigan State University Athletics Department, according to a Sept. 3, 2018, Michigan Capitol Confidential report.
Michigan State University athletics officials took 16 trips using Michigan Department of Transportation aircraft in the 2016-17 fiscal year. MSU has been using the aircraft since 2008, according to flight records made public, stated writer Derek Draplin in the report. While the practice is legal, its notable, since MSU appears to be the only state university to frequently use MDOT aircraft.
The spending includes direct operating costs, insurance, and salary and retirement expenses. The Mackinac Center for Public Policy, which publishes Michigan Capitol Confidential, filed the FOIA request in June, stated Michigan Capitol Confidential.
Total spending for the aircraft in 2015 was $1.64 million. That year, $571,315 was spent on salaries and wages; $60,351 on overtime; $97,564.00 on insurance; $362,443 on retirement benefits; $234,343 on contracted services, supplies, and materials; and $278,326 on fuel, among other expenditures.
The report goes on to state that in 2017, total spending on the aircraft rose to $2.4 million because of an engine replacement. That year, $471,376 was spent on salaries and wages; $48,480 on overtime; $72,667 on insurance; $282,650 on retirement; $1,336,547 on contracted services, supplies, and materials; and $175,488 on fuel.
Ballotpedia.org states on Beau LaFaves information page that the 108th District Representative is pledged to reducing government, taking a quote from his 2016 campaign website: LaFave believes that a good government is a small government. He is tired of excessive taxes, red tape, and regulations that hinder the growth of our area. These only discourage new companies and individuals from moving to the UP. Thats why he has pledged to cut taxes and eliminate regulations from his first day in office.
Michigan Capitol Confidential, however, stated that State Representative Shane Hernandez, R Port Huron, said that money used for the aircraft expenses could be better used for taxpayers.
Hernandez, who sits on the appropriations committee, is quoted as saying that the state-owned aircraft are examples of taxpayer waste.
This is a perfect example where these government entities could create efficiencies on the administrative side that go to programs that affect taxpayers, like airport improvement programs, pavement and fixing potholes, things like that. Hernandez is quoted as saying.
In addition to LaFave, HB 5301 sponsors included U.P. Representatives Greg Markkanen, and Sara Cambensy. The bill was not listed on LaFaves website among other legislation he has acted on.
The bill was referred to the House Transportation Committee on Dec. 11.
NEGAUNEE After 25 years of service to the city, Negaunee Police Chief Jay Frusti handed over the reins to a ...
MARQUETTE The fourth candidate vying for the Marquette Township manager position is a face familiar to many ...
MARQUETTE The Marquette Area Public Schools Board of Education will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday in the Marquette ...
NEGAUNEE It doesnt seem to matter where theyre from if you expose teenagers to snow, theres a good ...
Read the original here:
- Trump to seek nearly 8 percent cut in education spending - Politico - February 10th, 2020
- STAAR Surgical to Report Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year Results on February 26, 2020 - BioSpace - February 10th, 2020
- Where the Democratic Candidates Stand on Medicare for All - The Fiscal Times - February 10th, 2020
- The IMF reports on the macroeconomic situation of the Gambia for the year 2019 - Freedom Newspaper - February 10th, 2020
- Year In Review: School Board Pushed to Gain Traction on School Equity - Loudoun Now - January 5th, 2020
- New rep's anti-Trump rant has GOP seeing red - The Union Leader - January 5th, 2020
- The Puerto Rican Flag's Evolving Colors Say a Lot About the Island's Relationship With Its Colonial Rulers - Mother Jones - January 5th, 2020
- Niinist calls for mutual respect, end to lies and half-truths in public debate - Helsinki Times - January 5th, 2020
- As the White House and the world reject refugees, here's how to help - Norfolk Daily News - January 5th, 2020
- 'Insulting' number of attacks on NHS staff end up in court - HeraldScotland - January 5th, 2020
- The gathering storm in disability services | Opinion - pennlive.com - January 5th, 2020
- Sense of belonging and trust key to progress: Economist - Telegraph India - January 5th, 2020
- 2020 look ahead: Politics and protectionism to dominate Indian economy - Nikkei Asian Review - January 5th, 2020
- Administration outlines public safety initiatives | Letters to the Editor - The Guam Daily Post - January 5th, 2020
- 'All about the money': How women travelling to Canada to give birth could strain the health-care system - CBC.ca - January 5th, 2020
- aLL: Making body positive, plus size fashion the new normal - India Retailing - January 5th, 2020
- The Review - Business Recorder - January 5th, 2020
- Tax Burden: How Tax Burden Affects Economic Freedom - November 25th, 2019
- Democrats Must Heed The Wisdom Of JFK - FITSNews - November 25th, 2019
- Edited Transcript of PSTG earnings conference call or presentation 21-Nov-19 10:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - November 25th, 2019
- Trump's latest gambit: Send asylum seekers to 'Safe Third Countries' that are less than safe | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2019
- Spartz to seek second term - Current in Carmel - November 25th, 2019
- Angelica Ross Has Had a Phenomenal YearAnd Shes Using It to Open Doors to Others - Observer - November 25th, 2019
- The Trump Administration Gutted the Staff Overseeing $1 Billion in Aid to Iraq. A Watchdog Is Raising Red Flags. - ProPublica - November 25th, 2019
- All but one Scottish university fails to record suicide rates, The Ferret reveals - The National - November 25th, 2019
- On the Proposed Budget for Fiscal Year 2020: Letter to the Finance Minister - Freedom Newspaper - November 25th, 2019
- Removing the burden of SOEs on our people - ft.lk - November 25th, 2019
- Anti-abortion group says 45 now-elected Conservative MPs would vote to restrict abortion access heres why pro-choice experts are concerned - Toronto... - November 25th, 2019
- Cooper: Teacher town hall should talk future, not rehash the past - Chattanooga Times Free Press - November 13th, 2019
- Factbox: Key Points of Spanish Pact for Leftist Government - The New York Times - November 13th, 2019
- Natural gas drilling credits eat up royalty revenue from extraction industry: report - Vancouver Sun - November 13th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor: An Appraisal of Macri - Americas Quarterly - November 13th, 2019
- The U.S. held over 69,000 migrant children in government custody in 2019 - Mashable - November 13th, 2019
- Greg Grandin and the End of the Myth (Review) - NACLA - November 13th, 2019
- Lawmakers huddle to plot next steps on the budget - Politico - November 13th, 2019
- UW pushes for bill to fund project that finds and identifies missing soldiers - The Badger Herald - November 13th, 2019
- Betsy DeVos Might Outlast Them All - HuffPost - November 13th, 2019
- Catholics arrested with other faith groups protesting low cap for refugees - National Catholic Reporter - October 16th, 2019
- Keeping Sudan's Transition on Track - Sudan - ReliefWeb - October 16th, 2019
- Tax policy expert: Closing the tax gap can drive political change - EURACTIV - October 16th, 2019
- Fishing for equity in a regressive tax system - Real Change News - October 16th, 2019
- Andy Puzder: Here are the 7 most ridiculous economic proposals from the Dem debate - Fox Business - October 16th, 2019
- Kansas foster care instability led to surge in runaways, left children vulnerable to sex traffickers - The Ottawa Herald - October 16th, 2019
- What Unites the Right? - National Review - October 16th, 2019
- Andrew Yangs America Should Be Built On The Blockchain - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Kramberger: West Islanders have voting options on the fringe - Montreal Gazette - October 16th, 2019
- History is in the past: candidate | News - The Daily Courier - October 16th, 2019
- More than 1,000 Palestinians in Gaza have bone infections after being shot by Israeli forces - Mondoweiss - October 16th, 2019
- EDITORIAL COMMENT: Economy will rebound, lets be patient - Chronicle - October 16th, 2019
- Singapore Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business ... - May 3rd, 2019
- What is meant by "fiscal freedom"? | eNotes - April 16th, 2019
- Fiscal year - Wikipedia - February 24th, 2019
- United Kingdom Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation ... - February 24th, 2019
- Freedom in the 50 States 2017-2018: California Fiscal ... - November 2nd, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2017-2018: Indiana Fiscal Freedom ... - October 12th, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Overall Freedom ... - August 20th, 2018
- Fiscal Freedom - The Heritage Foundation - August 9th, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Fiscal Freedom | Cato ... - March 10th, 2018
- Fiscal Freedom - heritage.org - March 3rd, 2018
- Index of Economic Freedom - heritage.org - February 28th, 2018
- Freedom in the 50 States 2015-2016 | Pennsylvania Fiscal ... - February 6th, 2018
- September Will Be a Mess in Congress; Budget, Spending and Debt Fights Ahead - Indian Country Today Media Network - August 25th, 2017
- Austin Petersen: Why I became a Republican - Washington Examiner - August 25th, 2017
- Hood: Focus on long-term growth - Henderson Daily Dispatch - August 25th, 2017
- Focus on long-term growth - The Mountaineer (subscription) - August 24th, 2017
- Report: Brockton lawmaker is 'big winner' from legislative pay raise vote - Enterprise News - August 24th, 2017
- Watchdogs Raise Concerns Over Budget 'Earmarks' | 90.5 WESA - 90.5 WESA - August 24th, 2017
- City Hall staffers see $2.8M in raises through fiscal year 2017 - NY ... - New York Daily News - August 6th, 2017
- GOP leaders enlist Pence, Mulvaney to help with budget woes - Politico - July 14th, 2017
- Freedom Caucus Fires First Volley in New Debt Ceiling Battle | The ... - The Fiscal Times - July 14th, 2017
- The Health Care Security And Freedom Act Of 2017 - Investor's Business Daily - July 14th, 2017
- Trump's looming steel war, explained - The Week Magazine - July 14th, 2017
- US warship sails close to South China Sea island occupied by Beijing - Daily Sabah - July 3rd, 2017
- Commentary: Trump's cuts to education a threat to freedom ... - The Daily Herald - July 3rd, 2017
- GOP Senators join in call to nix August recess to work on looming issues - Fox News - July 3rd, 2017
- Independence Day and Fiscal Responsibility - Summit NJ News ... - TAPinto.net - July 2nd, 2017
- Moderate House Republicans warn of trouble for tax reform - CNBC - July 2nd, 2017
- Fiscal Freedom | Prometheism.net - Part 31 - June 30th, 2017
- Fiscal Freedom | Prometheism.net - Part 30 - June 30th, 2017
- GST will be India's 'economic freedom': Anil Ambani - Economic Times - June 30th, 2017