Following the unprecedented cryptocurrency boom in 2017, investors and governments alike could no longer ignore the growth of decentralized finance.
The world has become increasingly fascinated with cryptocurrencies and the ways they are enabling greater access, such as being able to send funds to remote places or securing capital for small businesses.
To aid this, cryptocurrency regulations are being slowly introduced into global financial markets. Regulations help to monitor these emerging digital currencies, and to allow for clearer guidelines and a measure of security.
Todays graphic from ComplyAdvantage maps out major regulatory cryptocurrency and exchange landscapes around the world, showing how sentiments towards digital currencies are evolving.
To do this, ComplyAdvantage measured cryptocurrency regulatory environments using their own Light-to-Tight scale, based on the following criteria:
Which jurisdictions have the strictest and most relaxed regulations for cryptocurrencies?
Global attitudes towards the rise of cryptocurrencies have shifted greatly over the past few years. While the term cryptocurrency is a bit of a misnomer, some countries do consider digital currencies legal tender, with many viewing cryptocurrencies as commodities.
Below is a table of the major countries that are pursuing cryptocurrency regulations:
Sources: ComplyAdvantage, HedgeTrade, CoinDesk
Japan has one of the most progressive regulatory climates for cryptocurrencies, widely considering bitcoin as legal tender and passing a law in mid-2017 recognizing cryptocurrencies as legal property. In late 2018, Japan also approved self-regulation for the crypto industry.
By contrast, China currently has one of the most restrictive environments in the world for cryptocurrency. China banned bitcoin transactions in 2013, as well as ICOs and crypto exchanges in 2017though many have found workarounds through sites not yet firewalled.
Cryptocurrency and exchange regulations in the EU are determined by individual member states, and are considered legal across the bloc.
Digital currency offers great promise, through its ability to reach people and businesses in remote and marginalized regions.
Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of IMF
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Switzerland has one of the most open climates for cryptocurrencies and exchanges in Europe. In 2016, the city of Zug, known as Crypto Valley, started accepting bitcoin as payment for city fees. Swiss Economics Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann announced his goal in 2018 to make Switzerland the worlds first crypto-nation.
Both Canada and the U.S. take a similar approach to cryptocurrency legislation at the federal level, as both countries view cryptocurrencies as securities. However, provincial and state regulations differ widely in their taxation requirements of profits from crypto investments.
Regulations throughout Latin and South America run the full legislative spectrum.
Cryptocurrencys journey is the story of a technology rapidly outpacing the laws that govern it.
Governments around the world are keenly aware of this problem. Members of the G20 published a request in June 2019 for a global regulatory framework for cryptocurrencies to be implemented to better manage the benefits and challenges that cryptocurrencies bring.
Regulation for both cryptocurrencies and crypto exchanges is essential for the future of digital financebringing legitimacy to the digital financial market, and making it more attractive for new businesses, established banks, and investors worldwide to more easily conduct business within this emerging ecosystem.
Given email address is already subscribed, thank you!
Please provide a valid email address.
Please complete the CAPTCHA.
Oops. Something went wrong. Please try again later.
Read the original:
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - June 1st, 2020
- Will Shopifys New Cryptocurrency Partnership Widen Its Moat? - Motley Fool - June 1st, 2020
- Meet Theta Fuel, the cryptocurrency that catches world's attention - Nairametrics - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin founder may have just moved nearly $400,000 in untouched cryptocurrency - The Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 1st, 2020
- Everything to Know about the Emergence of Prepaid Cryptocurrency Debit Cards: - PaymentsJournal - June 1st, 2020
- bitFlyer Europe and Quazard Partner to Bring First Ever Trading Competition to Botwars Ultimate Trading - Business Wire - June 1st, 2020
- Africa's young population and the drive for cryptocurrency - Techpoint.ng - June 1st, 2020
- Kraken CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Would Be Worth $1,000,000,000,000 If the Masses Knew the Power of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - June 1st, 2020
- Calibras Rebrand to Novi: An Effort to Create Distance from Facebook? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bleeding as the market gets ready for CME futures expiration - FXStreet - June 1st, 2020
- SA investors fear cryptocurrency CEO accused of stealing millions could be on the run - The Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Definition - May 24th, 2020
- What is Cryptocurrency: [Everything You Need To Know!] - May 24th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared A Massive 230% - Forbes - May 24th, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 24th, 2020
- Learn how to invest in the stock market and cryptocurrency - New York Post - May 24th, 2020
- Fears missing ISIS millions are hidden in cryptocurrency ready for use as war chest - The National - May 24th, 2020
- Iran to Apply Currency Smuggling Laws to Cryptocurrency Transactions - Coin Idol - May 24th, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- Reddit CEO: Bitcoin Is Here to Stay Because of Wall Street Involvement - Bitcoinist - May 24th, 2020
- This Minor Cryptocurrency Is On Track To Smash Bitcoin In 2020 - Forbes - May 17th, 2020
- The Global Digital Asset & Cryptocurrency Association in Chicago wants to be the one to regulate digital currencies - Crain's Chicago Business - May 17th, 2020
- Telegram shuts down its cryptocurrency operation - The Verge - May 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 17th, 2020
- Explainer: Understanding cryptocurrency trading in the region - Gulf Business News - May 17th, 2020
- How Investors Are Presented With Bitcoin: 'A New Decentralized Monetary Asset, Akin to Gold' - Bitcoin News - May 17th, 2020
- FATF: How Will the Guidelines Affect Canadas Crypto Industry? - Finance Magnates - May 17th, 2020
- Thailand Sticks by its Cryptocurrency Commitment - The Phuket News - May 17th, 2020
- Man charged over cryptocurrency investment fraud - The Star Online - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology Software Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2027: Intel Corporation, Microsoft... - May 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency markets: Where next? - FXStreet - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin fails to hit 10K but could make another push - FXStreet - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Tops $10,000 First Time Since February, Before Halving - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market jumps by over $13 billion driven by bitcoin as major technical event approaches - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- All Facts and Figure of Cryptocurrency is Clear as Real - AMBCrypto - May 9th, 2020
- PiixPay Allows Customers to Conveniently Use Cryptocurrency to Handle Bills and Recurring Payments - CardRates.com - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Remains a Widely-Used Cryptocurrency for Dark Web Transactions, a New Report Claims - Crowdfund Insider - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 9th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Can heightened cryptocurrency regulations be a major threat to smaller exchanges? - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- CRYPTOCURRENCY MARKET TRENDS ANALYSIS, TOP MANUFACTURERS, SHARES, GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES AND FORECAST TO 2027 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market value jumps $35 billion in 24 hours led by a surge in bitcoin - CNBC - May 1st, 2020
- XRP Adoption: Two Banks Reveal Plans to Support Third-Largest Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2020
- Andreessen Horowitz Creates Second Cryptocurrency Fund With $515M Investment - Benzinga - May 1st, 2020
- US Congress Considering More Than Two Dozen Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Proposals - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2020
- Did This Norwegian Multimillionaire Invent a Cryptocurrency Ransom to Cover Up the Murder of His Wife? - Vanity Fair - May 1st, 2020
- Drawbacks of Cryptocurrency Exchanges - How Non-Custodial Services Are the Solution | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk Casually Drops the Bitcoin Bomb On Twitter, Once More - newsBTC - May 1st, 2020
- North Koreas Alleged $670M Cryptocurrency Stash in Question Amid Rumors of Kim Jong-Uns Death - BeInCrypto - May 1st, 2020
- $8.8 Trillion Traded in Cryptocurrency Spot and Futures Markets in Q1: Reports | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 1st, 2020
- Wyoming: World's first to welcome cryptocurrency banks | Current Edition - Wyoming Business Report - May 1st, 2020
- The Impact of Cryptocurrency on Gaming in 2020 - Coindoo - May 1st, 2020
- Crypto Leaders on COVID-19: Join us for a Free Live Webinar Monday, May 4th - Finance Magnates - May 1st, 2020
- Brave integrates Binances crypto widget - Decrypt - May 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Definition - Investopedia - April 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales claims rally to $9,500 is a pump and dump movie - FXStreet - April 30th, 2020
- Circuit Breakers Could Be Coming to CryptoBut Will they Be Effective? - Finance Magnates - April 30th, 2020
- Kraken Expands Trading Pairs to 155 with New Conversions - Finance Magnates - April 30th, 2020
- Ethereum Near Levels That Sent Price 25% Down in 2019 - newsBTC - April 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Accounting Firm Launches Library of Legal and Tax Advice - Cointelegraph - March 28th, 2020
- Lukka debuts resource library on all things cryptocurrency - Accounting Today - March 28th, 2020
- Binance Reveals the Secret Behind Its Cryptocurrency Futures Success - Cointelegraph - March 28th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Earn Cryptocurrency In 2020 - MENAFN.COM - March 28th, 2020
- Why this cryptocurrency just surged 16% on news of a key Binance partnership - CryptoSlate - March 28th, 2020
- What Will $6 Trillion in Monetary Expansion Do To Cryptocurrency? (Opinion) - CryptoPotato - March 28th, 2020
- How to identify when a cryptocurrency is about to skyrocket? | The Home of Altcoins: All About Crypto, Bitcoin & Altcoins - Coinlist - March 28th, 2020
- XRP Is Up 12% and It Seems to Be Aiming for Higher Highs - Crypto Briefing - March 28th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Dash and Monero edge above Bitcoin to lead a remarkable recovery - FXStreet - March 28th, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Is Closer Than Expected, Already Working On Legislation - CryptoPotato - March 28th, 2020