During a massive antitrust hearing, Congress tried to force Mark Zuckerberg to answer some of the toughest questions yet around Facebook's acquisitions.
The companys 2012 deal to buy Instagram for $1 billion came under particular scrutiny when lawmakers quoted from several emails among Facebooks top executives, who talked about the need to neutralize a potential competitor. In another note, Facebook CFO Dave Wehner described the companys strategy as a land grab.
Zuckerberg expanded on the idea in another email. We can likely always just buy any competitive startups. But itll be a while before we can buy Google, he wrote. Later, when asked about the quote, Zuckerberg said he didnt remember writing the note, but said it sounds like a joke.
It wasnt the only incident Zuckerberg claimed not to remember.
Some of the most intense questioning on the subject came from Washington Democrat Rep. Pramila Jayapal, who repeatedly asked Zuckerberg about Facebook's strategy of trying to copy competing apps. It led to a rather incredible exchange, in which Jayapal asked about Zuckerbergs interactions with former Instagram CEO Kevin Systrom and Snapchat founder Evan Spiegel, both of which Zuckerberg said he didnt recall.
Has Facebook ever threatened to clone the products of another company while also attempting to acquire that company, Jayapal asked. Not that I recall, Zuckerberg said, prompting Jayapal to remind the CEO that he was under oath.
She then asked Zuckerberg if he had used Facebook Camera to threaten Systrom into agreeing to an acquisition.
Im not sure what you would mean by threaten, Zuckeberg said.
Were there any other companies you used this same tactic with, she asked, pointing to Snapchat and Zuckerbergs well-documented pursuit of the company.
I dont remember those specific conversations, he said.
Jayapal ended the questioning by calling Facebook a case study in monopoly power.
Your company harvests and monetizes our data, and then your company uses that data to spy on competitors and copy, acquire and kill rivals, she said. Youve used Facebooks power to threaten smaller competitors and to ensure that you always get your way. These tactics reinforce Facebooks dominance, which you then use in increasingly destructive ways. So Facebooks very model makes it impossible for new companies to flourish separately and that harms our democracy.
Zuckerberg wasn't the only CEO in attendance to face questions about his companys acquisitions. Google CEO Sundar Pichai was also hit with tough questions around Googles acquisition, and subsequent merger with DoubleClick.
And Amazons Jeff Bezos was asked about Amazons pursuit of diapers.com, and its plan to win against the competing online retailer, which eventually resulted in Amazon buying the company. Bezos, like Zuckerberg, cited a faulty memory.
Youre asking a lot of my memory, he said.
- New watchdog to crack down on modern slavery and low pay - Construction News - June 10th, 2021
- Every New Financial Bubble Is a Cry of Desperation - In These Times - June 10th, 2021
- Racial wealth gap may be a key to other inequities - Harvard Gazette - June 10th, 2021
- Factories that abuse and underpay staff could be banned from sales under new watchdog - The Mirror - June 10th, 2021
- Dr. Heavenly's Job Advice Has Fans In A Fury. Here's Why. - Nicki Swift - June 10th, 2021
- Germany, France and the UK apologize for the colonial past - Mediarun Search - June 10th, 2021
- Hunter Biden uses n-word multiple times in casual conversations and text messages show - Texasnewstoday.com - June 10th, 2021
- Clack: Remember these other massacres of Blacks, too - San Antonio Express-News - June 10th, 2021
- Economic Sanctions of Pericles 2,500 Years Ago Backfired, Prolonging War - Greek Reporter - June 10th, 2021
- Ouachita announces students named to Fall 2020 Dean's List - Ouachita Baptist University News - February 1st, 2021
- For the Record | Real estate | Business World | wenatcheeworld.com - wenatcheeworld.com - August 6th, 2020
- The cheapest Cam Link clone you can buy actually works pretty well - The Verge - July 30th, 2020
- Lucasfilm Reportedly Has Plans To Bring Yoda Back Via Cloning - We Got This Covered - July 30th, 2020
- Former 'Thone Clone' Elroy Hefner remembered as caring, conservative legislator - Omaha World-Herald - July 30th, 2020
- How Star Wars Bounty Hunter Influenced The Clone Wars Canon - Screen Rant - July 30th, 2020
- Clone troopers feeling remorse amid execution of Jedi - Dork Side of the Force - July 30th, 2020
- Thousands of these self-cloning ticks now in Kentucky - Frederick News Post - July 30th, 2020
- TV and Film Review: The Clone Wars Season 1: The Gungan General - Fantha Tracks - July 30th, 2020
- Tick that can clone itself is found on cattle in Southern Ky. and wildlife in Eastern Ky.; it's also a threat to pets, and hard to identify - The... - July 30th, 2020
- THE BAD BATCH TV Show On Disney+ Could Include THE CLONE WARS And REBELS Hero Captain Rex - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - July 30th, 2020
- Breath of the Wild "clone" Genshin Impact gets release date - KitGuru - July 30th, 2020
- Pet Clones Market Review with 2025 Forecast Global Analysis by Types, Applications, Regions, Size & Trends, Top Players - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- 10 Video Game Clones That Kicked Your (Own) Ass - WhatCulture - July 30th, 2020
- 2020 Comic-Con at Home: How to watch panels and events, what to expect - Tom's Guide - July 26th, 2020
- How to Watch Comic-Con@Home on IGN Live and the Full Panel Schedule - IGN Southeast Asia - July 20th, 2020