When it comes to trading, there are several steps you can take in order to reduce your exposure to the market extremes of price volatility.
A combination of both technical and fundamental analysis can be used to determine thetrue worth of a company or asset, securing a greater chance of success with a particular investment while reducing your risk along the way.
But for that, you need a plan.
Developing a successful risk management plan is paramount in minimizing unexpected outcomes, translating into an overall reduction in your losses.
A successful risk management plan should also run parallel to your crypto trading journal records, working in conjunction to curb poor trading behavior while simultaneously justifying your fundamental expectations.
Sometimes temptation leads to poor choices and it is no more on display than a market driven by fear and greed.
By reducing harmful or negative trading habits, one can hope to increase profit without putting too much on the table.
A key component of a successful risk management plan is determining what kind of trader you are and where your skills currently lie:
From these personas you can draw a rough idea on where you currently sit in terms of your trading mentality. The idea is to identify what habits are forcing you to lose out and which habits are guiding you to profit.
Try to remain stoic and reasoned, removing emotion from the psychological aspect of trading while relying solely on the information in front of you such as the price, volume, news and trend.
No matter how tempting or promising a particular trade opportunity may appear it is never a good idea to place all of your worth on the line.
Generally, a spread of one particular type of asset class (as well as a generous mix of different asset classes within your portfolio) is an ample measure in reducing your exposure to larger price moves within a particular industry/market.
The volatility of the cryptocurrency market means that any trade, even a seemingly perfect trade, can collapse and result in a significant loss. Therefore, it is recommended that you start investing in 5 or more different coins.
Also remember to take advantage of an exchanges stop-loss feature and use it to your benefit when you are away from trading manually such as times of rest or at work.
Time and again new traders fail to incorporate an adequate exit strategy, often arriving back at their computer to find their beloved basket of crypto have dropped 20 percent and a new trend has developed to the downside. This act not only reduces your risk but allows for greater control over your losses.
Finally, it can be tempting to use a buy and hold strategy where you invest in a coin and refuse to sell for an extended period of time. This passive approach is often tempting to new traders due to its simplicity and is often falsely associated with reducing ones risk.
However, youll unlikely amount to any significant wins by playing it too safe, so dive in, take on the adequate risk and ensure you have a plan mapped out because trading crypto can be a fun and profitable endeavour when executed correctly.
Disclosure: The author holds no cryptocurrency assets at the time of writing.
See-saw image via Shutterstock
Originally posted here:
- Cryptocurrency Definition - May 24th, 2020
- What is Cryptocurrency: [Everything You Need To Know!] - May 24th, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 24th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared A Massive 230% - Forbes - May 24th, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 24th, 2020
- Learn how to invest in the stock market and cryptocurrency - New York Post - May 24th, 2020
- Fears missing ISIS millions are hidden in cryptocurrency ready for use as war chest - The National - May 24th, 2020
- Iran to Apply Currency Smuggling Laws to Cryptocurrency Transactions - Coin Idol - May 24th, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- Reddit CEO: Bitcoin Is Here to Stay Because of Wall Street Involvement - Bitcoinist - May 24th, 2020
- This Minor Cryptocurrency Is On Track To Smash Bitcoin In 2020 - Forbes - May 17th, 2020
- The Global Digital Asset & Cryptocurrency Association in Chicago wants to be the one to regulate digital currencies - Crain's Chicago Business - May 17th, 2020
- Telegram shuts down its cryptocurrency operation - The Verge - May 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 17th, 2020
- Explainer: Understanding cryptocurrency trading in the region - Gulf Business News - May 17th, 2020
- How Investors Are Presented With Bitcoin: 'A New Decentralized Monetary Asset, Akin to Gold' - Bitcoin News - May 17th, 2020
- FATF: How Will the Guidelines Affect Canadas Crypto Industry? - Finance Magnates - May 17th, 2020
- Thailand Sticks by its Cryptocurrency Commitment - The Phuket News - May 17th, 2020
- Man charged over cryptocurrency investment fraud - The Star Online - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology Software Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2027: Intel Corporation, Microsoft... - May 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency markets: Where next? - FXStreet - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin fails to hit 10K but could make another push - FXStreet - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Tops $10,000 First Time Since February, Before Halving - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market jumps by over $13 billion driven by bitcoin as major technical event approaches - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- All Facts and Figure of Cryptocurrency is Clear as Real - AMBCrypto - May 9th, 2020
- PiixPay Allows Customers to Conveniently Use Cryptocurrency to Handle Bills and Recurring Payments - CardRates.com - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Remains a Widely-Used Cryptocurrency for Dark Web Transactions, a New Report Claims - Crowdfund Insider - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 9th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Can heightened cryptocurrency regulations be a major threat to smaller exchanges? - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- CRYPTOCURRENCY MARKET TRENDS ANALYSIS, TOP MANUFACTURERS, SHARES, GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES AND FORECAST TO 2027 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market value jumps $35 billion in 24 hours led by a surge in bitcoin - CNBC - May 1st, 2020
- XRP Adoption: Two Banks Reveal Plans to Support Third-Largest Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2020
- Andreessen Horowitz Creates Second Cryptocurrency Fund With $515M Investment - Benzinga - May 1st, 2020
- US Congress Considering More Than Two Dozen Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Proposals - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2020
- Did This Norwegian Multimillionaire Invent a Cryptocurrency Ransom to Cover Up the Murder of His Wife? - Vanity Fair - May 1st, 2020
- Drawbacks of Cryptocurrency Exchanges - How Non-Custodial Services Are the Solution | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk Casually Drops the Bitcoin Bomb On Twitter, Once More - newsBTC - May 1st, 2020
- North Koreas Alleged $670M Cryptocurrency Stash in Question Amid Rumors of Kim Jong-Uns Death - BeInCrypto - May 1st, 2020
- $8.8 Trillion Traded in Cryptocurrency Spot and Futures Markets in Q1: Reports | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 1st, 2020
- Wyoming: World's first to welcome cryptocurrency banks | Current Edition - Wyoming Business Report - May 1st, 2020
- The Impact of Cryptocurrency on Gaming in 2020 - Coindoo - May 1st, 2020
- Crypto Leaders on COVID-19: Join us for a Free Live Webinar Monday, May 4th - Finance Magnates - May 1st, 2020
- Brave integrates Binances crypto widget - Decrypt - May 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Definition - Investopedia - April 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales claims rally to $9,500 is a pump and dump movie - FXStreet - April 30th, 2020
- Circuit Breakers Could Be Coming to CryptoBut Will they Be Effective? - Finance Magnates - April 30th, 2020
- Kraken Expands Trading Pairs to 155 with New Conversions - Finance Magnates - April 30th, 2020
- Ethereum Near Levels That Sent Price 25% Down in 2019 - newsBTC - April 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Accounting Firm Launches Library of Legal and Tax Advice - Cointelegraph - March 28th, 2020
- Lukka debuts resource library on all things cryptocurrency - Accounting Today - March 28th, 2020
- Binance Reveals the Secret Behind Its Cryptocurrency Futures Success - Cointelegraph - March 28th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Earn Cryptocurrency In 2020 - MENAFN.COM - March 28th, 2020
- Why this cryptocurrency just surged 16% on news of a key Binance partnership - CryptoSlate - March 28th, 2020
- What Will $6 Trillion in Monetary Expansion Do To Cryptocurrency? (Opinion) - CryptoPotato - March 28th, 2020
- How to identify when a cryptocurrency is about to skyrocket? | The Home of Altcoins: All About Crypto, Bitcoin & Altcoins - Coinlist - March 28th, 2020
- XRP Is Up 12% and It Seems to Be Aiming for Higher Highs - Crypto Briefing - March 28th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Dash and Monero edge above Bitcoin to lead a remarkable recovery - FXStreet - March 28th, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Is Closer Than Expected, Already Working On Legislation - CryptoPotato - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus Crisis Shows Benefits of Virtual Reality to Cryptocurrency Enthusiasts - The Merkle Hash - March 28th, 2020
- Report: Asian Nations are Increasing Cryptocurrency Usage - Asia Crypto Today - March 28th, 2020
- President of Brazilian banking On cryptocurrency: They do not fulfill any of the classic functions of currency - Crypto Daily - March 28th, 2020
- CryptoCompare.com - Live cryptocurrency prices, trades ... - March 26th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability | #1 Cryptocurrency ... - March 26th, 2020
- How to invest in cryptocurrencies | Abra - March 26th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Rankings | CryptoSlate - March 26th, 2020
- What the Heck Happened to the Cryptocurrency This Week?! - March 26th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Price List - Top 20 Cryptocurrency Prices Today - March 26th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency ETFs: What They Are and How to Invest in 2020 ... - March 26th, 2020
- What is Cryptocurrency? A Simple Explanation - March 26th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency | Category | Fox Business - March 26th, 2020
- The Role of Cryptocurrencies in the Rise of Ransomware - Cointelegraph - March 26th, 2020