If youve traded cryptocurrency, chances are that youve lost a fair amount of hairnot to mention sleeptrying to calculate your obligations. Some hodlers only need to report a few trades per year, but if youre moving large amounts of cryptocurrency, it might take some professional-level software to keep track of all those gainz.
The cryptocurrency tax software solutions on the market today come in different flavors, depending on your needs. Some are pure tax reporting tools, whereas others offer accounting services or portfolio tracking. Some also provide additional features such as support for small businesses or individuals who earn a living from trading.
When choosing a provider, some things to consider are:
If youre making less than around 1,000 transactions annually, you can opt for one of the lower cost plans. The same applies for portfolio value the higher the value of your portfolio, the more youll pay.
Lower-cost plans tend to offer integration with fewer exchanges and wallets. If youve been transacting over multiple exchanges and wallets, youll need to go for a higher cost plan. Furthermore, not all exchanges and wallets are integrated by all providers.
Some providers will allow you to connect to the exchange or wallet API, whereas others will require you to extract a CSV file for upload to the cryptocurrency tax software.
The most basic plans will simply produce the necessary IRS-compatible reports. Some of the more comprehensive offerings will track your asset portfolio, or offer enterprise-grade support for businesses accepting or making payments in cryptocurrencies.
With all this in mind, which providers offer the best package to suit your needs? This list covers a number of the major providers but isnt intended to be exhaustive:
BearTax is a simple and inexpensive cryptocurrency tax software, ideal for newcomers or the most casual investors. It offers a basic plan for only $0.99 which provides a tax report covering up to 20 transactions across any number of exchanges. Even the next plan, for up to 200 transactions, is only $29.99.
The software connects via API to a broad range of exchanges. It doesnt calculate taxes for margin or derivative trading, and it doesnt offer any portfolio tracking, so it may not be suitable for more frequent or advanced traders.
TokenTax is a decent all-rounder but the most basic plan at $65 per year only integrates with Coinbase and Binance. For power traders taking the highest package, it also offers services including assistance with IRS audits.
Unlike many other cryptocurrency tax software providers, TokenTax offers a premium service that can produce a full tax filing, including your crypto taxes. It also offers a planning service to help tax-optimize your portfolio, and can handle calculations on derivatives trades. Furthermore, TokenTax offers support if youre an employee earning in crypto, or for special situation such as if youve been the victim of a hack.
ZenLedger also offers additional features beyond pure tax reporting, such as support for ICOs and airdrops. However, it comes at an even higher price point the starter package is $149 per year for up to 500 transactions with up to $50k asset value. Unlike many others on this list, features on ZenLedger are standard across all packages, so youll only pay more for a bigger portfolio value and/or transaction volume.
Cointracker isnt just a tax reporting solution. It actively tracks your entire digital asset portfolio. This is likely to be very helpful if youve diversified across many wallets and exchanges, as it means you dont need to collect all of your holdings into one place come tax season.
Prices start from $49 for up to 100 transactions annually and go up to $999 for 15,000 transactions. In contrast with many other cryptocurrency tax software providers, Cointracker is international, offering reporting for UK, Canada, and Australia.
Bittax is the only cryptocurrency tax software weve seen thats based on blockchain technology. According to the website, it can trace an entire history of user cryptocurrency transactions from the moment the trader entered the markets, and even flag where transaction history appears to be incomplete.
Forward tax planning enables you to optimize your positions for maximum potential savings. Theres no pricing currently available on the website, but you can submit a request via their contact form for a free estimate of your tax obligations. This may be useful if youve received an IRS letter but believe youve paid your taxes correctly.
CryptoTrader.Tax provides many similar features as others mentioned on this list. The company emphasizes a user-experience first approach and uses an intuitive 5-step process for completing a tax report.
CryptoTrader.Tax supports more than 25 of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges and has partnered up with TurboTax to allow their users to import their cryptocurrency tax data into the TurboTax platform. Prices start at $49 and increase depending on the volume of trades you made during any given year.
Users can sign up and import all their data for free. Payment is only required once you want to download your tax report. David Kemmerer, the co-founder of the company, has also contributed some interesting articles on crypto taxes to Crypto Briefing.
Node40 started life as a service offering master node hosting but once they started accepting payment in cryptos, the founders realized they had no software to easily calculate their crypto tax obligations, so they designed their own.
Now, Node40 offers perhaps one of the best plans for new or novice traders using a single exchange or wallet, as you can import up to 1500 transactions completely free of charge. The next level up starts from $75. The company also offers a package for tax professionals. Given that many tax accountants still arent familiar with the tax rules on crypto assets, this service is useful for helping to bridge the gap between the existing tax world and crypto-assets.
HappyTax is providing a similar service. The company also operates Cryptotaxacademy to educate tax professionals in the game. It isnt a software provider but a full-service crypto tax preparation company. This may be a preferable option for those with more complex portfolios, as it allows you to be completely hands-off. The company can support crypto taxes as a standalone offering or as part of a full tax return service, which covers your other obligations as well.
If youve been unlucky enough to receive one of the recent IRS letters, then any of these services will also help you in retroactively calculating your tax obligations for previous years. Although its true that the IRS has created a cloud of uncertainty through a lack of clear guidance around the taxation of digital assets, using a cryptocurrency tax software solution can at least take some of the reporting burden off your shoulders.
See more here:
- Senator Romney Considers Action As A Nation On Cryptocurrency Threat To Homeland Security - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin passes $1 billion milestone on cryptocurrency anniversary - The Independent - November 6th, 2019
- Stellar's Foundation Just Destroyed Half the Supply of Its Lumens Cryptocurrency - Coindesk - November 6th, 2019
- CRYPTOCURRENCY: China calls on Huawei to help with crypto ambitions - Express - November 6th, 2019
- Governments race to beat Facebook's cryptocurrency, libra, at its own game: Don Pittis - CBC.ca - November 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency mining industry still has a future in China - FXStreet - November 6th, 2019
- Ron Paul: No, cryptocurrency is not something the Fed should be getting its 'hands around' - Fox Business - November 6th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple get ready the weekend action - FXStreet - November 6th, 2019
- The Bitcoin time-traveler Reddit post has been edited, but nobody knows who did it - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency saves a 110-year old power plant from demolition - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- US fines founders of worthless cryptocurrency over $4.25M binary options scam - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- Inside the Icelandic Facility Where Bitcoin Is Mined - WIRED - November 6th, 2019
- Fiat Currency 2.0: Counter argument to the Cryptocurrency narrative - Finextra - November 6th, 2019
- The never-ending Mt. Gox saga: Cryptocurrency recovery deadline pushed back (again!) - The Next Web - November 6th, 2019
- Startup Targets Cryptocurrency Crime - But Will The Big Banks Come On Board? - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Major Bitcoin Miner Warns The Cryptocurrency Needs Better Privacy - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- Why Cryptocurrency is in The Spotlight For More Central Banks - newsBTC - October 24th, 2019
- Bank of Canada Warms To National Cryptocurrency, Will it Compete Against Bitcoin? - newsBTC - October 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2019-2023 | Evolving Opportunities with Advanced Micro Devices, Inc and Baikal Miner | Technavio - Business Wire - October 24th, 2019
- Sitharaman Says Other Nations Agree With Indias Stance On Cryptocurrency - Inc42 Media - October 24th, 2019
- Mark Zuckerberg to testify on cryptocurrency, election security, and antitrust - KCRW - October 24th, 2019
- Facebook's Owner Hints It May Be Willing To Pull Out Of Cryptocurrency. - Kfm Radio - October 24th, 2019
- Are Smart Cities The Pathway To Blockchain And Cryptocurrency Adoption? - Forbes - October 24th, 2019
- This New Bitcoin And Cryptocurrency Exchange Cant Be Hacked - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- As Facebook's libra faces headwinds, China is racing to launch its own global cryptocurrency - CNBC - October 16th, 2019
- Telegram might be forced to put its global cryptocurrency plans on ice - MIT Technology Review - October 16th, 2019
- Mastering Emotions and Managing Risk in Cryptocurrency Trading - Coindesk - October 16th, 2019
- Europol: Bitcoin is the still the dark webs favorite cryptocurrency - The Next Web - October 16th, 2019
- Theres A New Question On Your 1040 As IRS Gets Serious About Cryptocurrency - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Mapped: Cryptocurrency Regulations Around the World - Visual Capitalist - October 16th, 2019
- North Korean Hackers Tried to Infect macOS Systems with Fake Cryptocurrency App - Security Boulevard - October 16th, 2019
- Bitcoin Will Break Out Again in November, Suggests Cryptocurrency Trader - BeInCrypto - October 16th, 2019
- Another partner abandons Facebooks cryptocurrency - Marketplace.org - October 16th, 2019
- SEC puts a stop to Telegram's cryptocurrency plans in the US - Engadget - October 16th, 2019
- Alert: IRS Releases Long-Awaited Guidance on Taxation of Cryptocurrency Transactions - JD Supra - October 16th, 2019
- The New Guidance on Cryptocurrency - Accountingweb.com - October 16th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101: What is Bitcoin, where did it come from, and where does is it lead? - WGN Radio - Chicago - October 16th, 2019
- The issuer of a star cryptocurrency is being sued for $1.4trn - The Economist - October 16th, 2019
- Bitcoins Competitors Are Missing The Point Of Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology - Forbes - September 29th, 2019
- North Korea's cryptocurrency shows the limits of Trump's 'maximum pressure' - Business Insider - September 29th, 2019
- Congress Questions The SEC On Libra, Cryptocurrency And The Whole Blockchain Phenomenon - Forbes - September 29th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin consolidates losses, altcoins explore the red territory - FXStreet - September 29th, 2019
- Dollar-pegged stablecoin Tether is now the worlds 4th biggest cryptocurrency - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Post-Crash Bitcoin Warning As Wallets Targeted In Active And Ongoing Hack Attack - Forbes - September 29th, 2019
- Venezuela may have Bitcoin and Ethereum, but its unsure how it can use them - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Facebook reveals which currencies will back Libra cryptocurrency - The Independent - September 29th, 2019
- Are Cryptocurrency Transactions about to Hit the Mainstream? - BOSS Magazine - September 29th, 2019
- Best ROI in Home Cryptocurrency Mining with BitHarp - AiThority - September 29th, 2019
- Justin Sun seeks Andrew Yangs attention with another cryptocurrency UBI pitch - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Algorand cryptocurrency lost 94% of its value in its first three months - Decrypt - September 29th, 2019
- The sad and peculiar case of Satowallets alleged $1M cryptocurrency exit scam - The Next Web - September 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Bitcoin Plunges $2K, SC Rejects Amit Bhardwajs Latest Plea And More - Inc42 Media - September 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Club created to educate students on new form of commerce - Daily Nebraskan - September 29th, 2019
- Fast ROI in Home Cryptocurrency Mining With BitHarp - Business Wire - September 29th, 2019
- Ethereum leads cryptocurrency market over past week - Decrypt - September 19th, 2019
- Bitcoin Ban Means Massive Brain Drain for India, Crypto Industry Warns - Cointelegraph - September 19th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoim settles at new lows, altcoins deep in red - FXStreet - September 19th, 2019
- Stanford grads develop cryptocurrency for smartphone users to increase its accessibility - The Stanford Daily - September 19th, 2019
- FINMA Application From Facebooks Cryptocurrency Libra Might Not Be Good Enough To Satisfy Regulators - Forbes - September 19th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: Ripple, NEO and Monero dump as altcoins' short-lived boom takes a breather - FXStreet - September 19th, 2019
- Bitcoin Price Dips to $9.6K as Bear Cross Looms - CoinDesk - September 19th, 2019
- IRS small business unit pivots to cryptocurrency enforcement - Accounting Today - September 19th, 2019
- SEC sues cryptocurrency startup ICOBox for selling $14.6M worth of unregistered tokens - The Next Web - September 19th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: EOS Has Deep Pockets, but Faces Challenges Ahead - TheStreet.com - September 19th, 2019
- Report: Philippine Police Raid Alleged Cryptocurrency Scam, Arrest 277 - Cointelegraph - September 19th, 2019
- France, Germany blast Facebook's Libra, back public cryptocurrency - Reuters - September 19th, 2019
- Retail Giant Overstock Seeks to Restructure Cryptocurrency Dividend - Cointelegraph - September 19th, 2019
- Divi Helps Reduce Barriers to Entering the Cryptocurrency Ecosystem and Promote Earnings with One-Click Masternodes and a User-Friendly Interface -... - September 19th, 2019
- How To Secure Your Cryptocurrency In Case Of Emergencies, 5 tips - Irish Tech News - September 19th, 2019
- Meet Panda, an illicit cryptocurrency mining crew terrorizing organizations worldwide - The Next Web - September 19th, 2019
- Phunware to hold Initial Exchange Offering for its cryptocurrency Phun tokens - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - September 19th, 2019
- HTC partners with Bitcoin.com to support cryptocurrency smartphone Exodus 1 - VentureBeat - September 19th, 2019
- CookieMiner malware targets Macs, steals passwords and SMS messages, mines for cryptocurrency - Security Boulevard - September 19th, 2019
- High Performance Cryptocurrency Mining Rigs Released by BitHarp - AiThority - September 19th, 2019
- InnfiRAT malware lurks in your machine to steal cryptocurrency wallet data - ZDNet - September 19th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin drifts lower within the current range - FXStreet - September 19th, 2019
- Custody startup GK8 raises $4M to offer cryptocurrency transactions without an internet connection - Yahoo Finance - September 19th, 2019
- Skidmap malware buries into the kernel to hide illicit cryptocurrency mining - ZDNet - September 19th, 2019
- Wells Fargo makes it official: Big banks are getting in on cryptocurrency - The Hustle - September 19th, 2019
- New Zealand's progressive approach is a boost for cryptocurrency - American Banker - September 19th, 2019