Sophomore finance majors Evan Thorell, William Turner and Peter Rasmussen connected with each other throughout high school and their freshman year of college because of their mutual interest in cryptocurrency.
Evan Thorell is the president of the Cryptocurrency Club. He said the club has 25 members and meets biweekly on Tuesdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Other officers include treasurer and graduate student William Turner, primary programmer Peter Rasmussen and advisor Steve Hegemann, an assistant professor of accountancy. The three students said they founded the club because of their mutual interest in cryptocurrency. More specifically, they all want to educate UNL students about this new and exciting form of commerce.
According to Thorell, a typical meeting of the Cryptocurrency Club starts out with the explanation and discussion of a large topic within cryptocurrency like mining, blockchain or trading techniques. The group also covers current events such as a recent development in France.
Thorell also said there is a Coin of the Week segment during the meetings where students interested in investing in cryptocurrency can learn the differences between scams and legitimate cryptocurrency.
The Cryptocurrency Club is one of a kind, Rasmussen said. The club hopes to inform and teach members the basics of different coins and the technology behind them.
Thorell said he originally became interested in cryptocurrency after joining a club at the University of Arizona, and he decided to carry this interest over to UNL when he transferred.
I realized its potential with tech and innovation, he said. In a way, it is really mimicking the Internet, where it is only being used by criminals and nerds.
Thorell said that the club tries to avoid using difficult vocabulary for new members, but they often have in-depth discussion when questions arise.
Cryptocurrency is very interesting to me because it is an unknown, Thorell said. Its new, different and challenges ideas. If you know the potential in it, you could be the next Amazon.
Turner said he joined the club because he had some previous experience with cryptocurrency and margin trading.
I havent really been involved with clubs in the past, so I was really excited, he said. [Evan] told me the overview of the club, and I agreed with what he wanted to make of it.
Turner also said he sees a lot of potential in the future of cryptocurrency.
It will be very important in the future, he said. In five to ten years, the world will revolve around crypto, or it will be a lot bigger in the eyes of users.
Thorell said he is passionate about cryptocurrency as a future market. Even so, he said he has hopes for the long-term existence of the Cryptocurrency Club and its continuation after he graduates.
If youre joining the club, youre a believer in change ... you want to change something about society, he said. Its a place for motivated people to do something and find other motivated people.
Read the rest here:
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - June 1st, 2020
- Will Shopifys New Cryptocurrency Partnership Widen Its Moat? - Motley Fool - June 1st, 2020
- Meet Theta Fuel, the cryptocurrency that catches world's attention - Nairametrics - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin founder may have just moved nearly $400,000 in untouched cryptocurrency - The Independent - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoins $100K Probability Speculation or Economic Theory Backed? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 1st, 2020
- Everything to Know about the Emergence of Prepaid Cryptocurrency Debit Cards: - PaymentsJournal - June 1st, 2020
- bitFlyer Europe and Quazard Partner to Bring First Ever Trading Competition to Botwars Ultimate Trading - Business Wire - June 1st, 2020
- Africa's young population and the drive for cryptocurrency - Techpoint.ng - June 1st, 2020
- Kraken CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Would Be Worth $1,000,000,000,000 If the Masses Knew the Power of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - June 1st, 2020
- Calibras Rebrand to Novi: An Effort to Create Distance from Facebook? - Finance Magnates - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bleeding as the market gets ready for CME futures expiration - FXStreet - June 1st, 2020
- SA investors fear cryptocurrency CEO accused of stealing millions could be on the run - The Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Definition - May 24th, 2020
- What is Cryptocurrency: [Everything You Need To Know!] - May 24th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared A Massive 230% - Forbes - May 24th, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 24th, 2020
- RenBTC Quietly Goes Live in Latest Bid to Bring Bitcoin Into Ethereum - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 24th, 2020
- Learn how to invest in the stock market and cryptocurrency - New York Post - May 24th, 2020
- Fears missing ISIS millions are hidden in cryptocurrency ready for use as war chest - The National - May 24th, 2020
- Iran to Apply Currency Smuggling Laws to Cryptocurrency Transactions - Coin Idol - May 24th, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2020
- Reddit CEO: Bitcoin Is Here to Stay Because of Wall Street Involvement - Bitcoinist - May 24th, 2020
- This Minor Cryptocurrency Is On Track To Smash Bitcoin In 2020 - Forbes - May 17th, 2020
- The Global Digital Asset & Cryptocurrency Association in Chicago wants to be the one to regulate digital currencies - Crain's Chicago Business - May 17th, 2020
- Telegram shuts down its cryptocurrency operation - The Verge - May 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin investors are bracing for a key technical event here's what you need to know - CNBC - May 17th, 2020
- Explainer: Understanding cryptocurrency trading in the region - Gulf Business News - May 17th, 2020
- How Investors Are Presented With Bitcoin: 'A New Decentralized Monetary Asset, Akin to Gold' - Bitcoin News - May 17th, 2020
- FATF: How Will the Guidelines Affect Canadas Crypto Industry? - Finance Magnates - May 17th, 2020
- Thailand Sticks by its Cryptocurrency Commitment - The Phuket News - May 17th, 2020
- Man charged over cryptocurrency investment fraud - The Star Online - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology Software Market Projected to Witness Vigorous Expansion by 2020-2027: Intel Corporation, Microsoft... - May 17th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency markets: Where next? - FXStreet - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin fails to hit 10K but could make another push - FXStreet - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Tops $10,000 First Time Since February, Before Halving - Bloomberg - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market jumps by over $13 billion driven by bitcoin as major technical event approaches - CNBC - May 9th, 2020
- All Facts and Figure of Cryptocurrency is Clear as Real - AMBCrypto - May 9th, 2020
- PiixPay Allows Customers to Conveniently Use Cryptocurrency to Handle Bills and Recurring Payments - CardRates.com - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) Remains a Widely-Used Cryptocurrency for Dark Web Transactions, a New Report Claims - Crowdfund Insider - May 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 9th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 9th, 2020
- Can heightened cryptocurrency regulations be a major threat to smaller exchanges? - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- CRYPTOCURRENCY MARKET TRENDS ANALYSIS, TOP MANUFACTURERS, SHARES, GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES AND FORECAST TO 2027 3w Market News Reports - 3rd Watch News - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market value jumps $35 billion in 24 hours led by a surge in bitcoin - CNBC - May 1st, 2020
- XRP Adoption: Two Banks Reveal Plans to Support Third-Largest Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2020
- Andreessen Horowitz Creates Second Cryptocurrency Fund With $515M Investment - Benzinga - May 1st, 2020
- US Congress Considering More Than Two Dozen Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Proposals - The Daily Hodl - May 1st, 2020
- Did This Norwegian Multimillionaire Invent a Cryptocurrency Ransom to Cover Up the Murder of His Wife? - Vanity Fair - May 1st, 2020
- Drawbacks of Cryptocurrency Exchanges - How Non-Custodial Services Are the Solution | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - May 1st, 2020
- Elon Musk Casually Drops the Bitcoin Bomb On Twitter, Once More - newsBTC - May 1st, 2020
- North Koreas Alleged $670M Cryptocurrency Stash in Question Amid Rumors of Kim Jong-Uns Death - BeInCrypto - May 1st, 2020
- $8.8 Trillion Traded in Cryptocurrency Spot and Futures Markets in Q1: Reports | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 1st, 2020
- Wyoming: World's first to welcome cryptocurrency banks | Current Edition - Wyoming Business Report - May 1st, 2020
- The Impact of Cryptocurrency on Gaming in 2020 - Coindoo - May 1st, 2020
- Crypto Leaders on COVID-19: Join us for a Free Live Webinar Monday, May 4th - Finance Magnates - May 1st, 2020
- Brave integrates Binances crypto widget - Decrypt - May 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Definition - Investopedia - April 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin whales claims rally to $9,500 is a pump and dump movie - FXStreet - April 30th, 2020
- Circuit Breakers Could Be Coming to CryptoBut Will they Be Effective? - Finance Magnates - April 30th, 2020
- Kraken Expands Trading Pairs to 155 with New Conversions - Finance Magnates - April 30th, 2020
- Ethereum Near Levels That Sent Price 25% Down in 2019 - newsBTC - April 30th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Accounting Firm Launches Library of Legal and Tax Advice - Cointelegraph - March 28th, 2020
- Lukka debuts resource library on all things cryptocurrency - Accounting Today - March 28th, 2020
- Binance Reveals the Secret Behind Its Cryptocurrency Futures Success - Cointelegraph - March 28th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Earn Cryptocurrency In 2020 - MENAFN.COM - March 28th, 2020
- Why this cryptocurrency just surged 16% on news of a key Binance partnership - CryptoSlate - March 28th, 2020
- What Will $6 Trillion in Monetary Expansion Do To Cryptocurrency? (Opinion) - CryptoPotato - March 28th, 2020
- How to identify when a cryptocurrency is about to skyrocket? | The Home of Altcoins: All About Crypto, Bitcoin & Altcoins - Coinlist - March 28th, 2020
- XRP Is Up 12% and It Seems to Be Aiming for Higher Highs - Crypto Briefing - March 28th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Dash and Monero edge above Bitcoin to lead a remarkable recovery - FXStreet - March 28th, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Is Closer Than Expected, Already Working On Legislation - CryptoPotato - March 28th, 2020