The main lesson: dead men tell no tales but Disney surely does. And Disney needs to bring back the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise with a new story one thats actually being told right now in the Disneyland ride.
On a recent visit to Disneyland, I rode the Pirates of the Caribbean ride for the first time. The ride is a thrilling one, to say the least, and its no surprise it launched a film series that raked in billions of dollars.
The ride has something of a story. We see dead pirates laid out on beaches, covered with coins. We see pirates fighting and then invading a village. The back-and-forth battle between the royals and the pirates exists in plentiful numbers in the ride. And weve seen that plenty of times throughout the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
But theres a hidden story going on inside the ride that we should take note of. It might be the storyline for Pirates of the Caribbean 6 a long-rumored film that has yet to be released.
During the ride, theres a brief moment where the pirates hunt for Captain Jack Sparrow. He hides in a barrel right next to them, fooling the pirates as Jack Sparrow normally does. The hunt for Jack Sparrow is something weve heard about the Pirates films often include Jack on the run from someone who wants to capture or kill him.
But maybe the secret to finding a storyline to Pirates 6 would be to focus on someone who is on the hunt for Jack Sparrow. Not to defeat him, not to capture him, not to send him to the depths of the ocean. Maybe Pirates 6 can be about people searching for Jack Sparrow because he holds the truth to something important.
Early rumors for Pirates 6 suggest it will include a female lead. Karen Gillan and Emma Watson are rumored to star. There are some rumors that the franchise wants to move on from Jack Sparrow and focus more on a new star, rebooting the franchise to build a new audience. Theres also another rumor of a Disney Plus version of Pirates with a younger Jack Sparrow.
These rumors suggest that theres some hemming and hawing about the future of the franchise. Does Disney bring back Jack Sparrow? And if so, in what form? Do they bring back Johnny Depp who has been making headlines for assault charges with his ex-wife Amber Heard and risk people not finding his character entertaining? Do they start with a younger Sparrow on the streaming platform? Do they totally reboot the franchise?
Look, Disney has invested a lot in Jack Sparrow. He became the face of the franchise. He became the lead character of the entire film saga. You think of POTC and you think of Sparrow. Theres no question. Hes a big part of the ride. Hes a huge part of merchandise. There will never be a day when he is not associated with the franchise.
The Hunt for Jack Sparrow idea can work on two fronts.
It would allow the franchise to keep Sparrow in the story without actually having him in the story. Think of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. He doesnt appear until the final few minutes. But hes a central character because the entire story is centered on characters trying to find him so he can save the Resistance and stop the First Order.
Allowing a character like Watson or Gillan to search for Jack Sparrow would certainly be that opening. It would allow Disney to keep Jack Sparrow in the story without actually having him in it, solving the issue about the film becoming too formulaic.
And then theres the ultimate twist: The film is a prequel.
Lets say Watson finds Sparrow toward the end of the film. But its a younger sparrow, one from way before Depps age, who is just getting started. Disney could recast the character, avoiding any of the potential controversy with Depp (and allowing Depp to step away from the franchise, too).
Somehow, Watsons character would give something to Sparrow that would influence his life. She would put him on the right course. Then, Disney could launch a Disney Plus show centered around young Sparrow. And the film franchise could continue with Watson at the helm, leading a new band of pirates.
Watson (or Gillan) could lead a new set of films that happen before Sparrow becomes a big name. But knowing these characters helped inspire young Sparrow adds value and importance while allowing Disney to move on from a Sparrow-filled franchise.
Its just a theory. But the thought popped into my head while riding the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. The ride is too fun and popular to not keep the franchise going. But its important for Disney to find a plausible next step to keep the film centered in the POTC universe while also providing something fresh and new.
Well see where it goes. But if Disney is looking for the opportune moment, this is it.
- Protecting the Caribbean's most vulnerable people in the face of COVID-19: A UN Resident Coordinator blog - UN News - April 2nd, 2020
- How A Little Island In The Caribbean Sea Is Standing Up To The Goliath Of Coronavirus - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Empty Hotels. Idled Tour Buses. The Pandemic Is Devastating Tourism. - The New York Times - April 2nd, 2020
- How COVID-19 Has Affected the Caribbean and Latin America - NBC 6 South Florida - April 2nd, 2020
- CBP Reminds Boaters of Reporting Requirements in the Caribbean to Slow COVID-19 Spread - HSToday - April 2nd, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: A Perfect Sandbar in The Bahamas - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2020
- Corona Around the Caribbean - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - April 2nd, 2020
- Caribbean Moment: In Saint Lucia, a Journey to the Pitons - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2020
- Around the Caribbean...Around the Caribbean...Around the Caribbean - Jamaica Observer - April 2nd, 2020
- Customs and Border Protection Reminds Boaters of Reporting Requirements in Caribbean - St, Thomas Source - April 2nd, 2020
- 24 Movies That Will Take You to the Caribbean Right Now - Caribbean Journal - April 2nd, 2020
- Take a mini-break in the Caribbean without leaving your house - Lonely Planet Travel News - April 2nd, 2020
- Are You Ready to Buy Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and NCL? - Motley Fool - April 2nd, 2020
- Caribbean nationals among thousands of COVID-19 deaths - Caribbean Life - April 2nd, 2020
- Caribbean Map / Map of the Caribbean - Maps and ... - March 31st, 2020
- Around the Caribbean... Around the Caribbean...Around the Caribbean... - Jamaica Observer - March 31st, 2020
- Helping the Caribbean in a Pandemic | Therese Turner-Jones - Caribbean360.com - March 31st, 2020
- CHTA: The Caribbean will resurface stronger in tourism - Dominican Today - March 31st, 2020
- Captain Lee From 'Below Deck' Expresses Concern the Caribbean Will Be 'Hit Hard' by Coronavirus - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 31st, 2020
- Trinidad Records Third Death from COVID-19 - caribbeannationalweekly.com - March 31st, 2020
- On the Trail of James Bond in the Caribbean, From Jamaica to Nassau - Caribbean Journal - March 31st, 2020
- Caribbean Map / Map of the Caribbean - Maps and Information ... - March 26th, 2020
- Caribbean Must Prepare Against Food Shortages because of COVID-19 - caribbeannationalweekly.com - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus Threatens Tourism Industry In The Caribbean - International Business Times - March 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic and Latin America and the Caribbean: Time for Strong Policy Actions - International Monetary Fund - March 26th, 2020
- COVID-19 Watch: Caribbean islands surge past 750 confirmed cases of coronavirus - Antigua Observer - March 26th, 2020
- 10 Movies To Watch If You Love Pirates Of The Caribbean - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Reinvigorating Economic Growth in Latin America and the Caribbean: Can deep trade agreements help? - International Banker - March 26th, 2020
- Caribbean update on COVID-19 situation in the region - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - March 26th, 2020
- Around the Caribbean... Around the Caribbean... Around the Caribbean - Jamaica Observer - March 26th, 2020
- Government urged to halt implementation of public charge rule against Caribbean immigrants - NYCaribNews - March 26th, 2020
- Five Caribbean words that were spawned by coronavirus - Loop News Cayman - March 26th, 2020
- Virus: Sandals Closing All 19 Caribbean Resorts - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - March 26th, 2020
- The Cruise Industry Pressured Caribbean Islands Amid Coronavirus Concerns - The Intercept - March 16th, 2020
- Coronavirus-hit cruise ship in diplomatic scramble to find somewhere to dock - CNN - March 16th, 2020
- 5 Trending Food Destinations in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - March 16th, 2020
- Punta Cana has 9 of the 20 best family resorts in the Caribbean - Dominican Today - March 16th, 2020
- A Destination for All Ages in the Caribbean - TravelPulse - March 16th, 2020
- The 10 Best Pink Sand Beaches in the Caribbean - Caribbean Journal - March 16th, 2020
- The Best All-Inclusive Private-Island Destinations - Caribbean Journal - March 16th, 2020
- How the deadly coronavirus brought an industry to its knees: The 'cruise lines 9/11' - CNBC - March 16th, 2020
- Joanna Lumley's Hidden Caribbean locations and how to recreate her glamorous trip - Mirror Online - March 16th, 2020
- 14 Parish, a Caribbean restaurant with more than 100 rums, is coming to 53rd Street - Hyde Park Herald - March 16th, 2020
- Canceled: Caribbean Night on the horizon at the Opera House - PenBayPilot.com - March 16th, 2020
- Why Royal Caribbean's digital overhaul is safe from the coronavirus - Business Insider Nordic - March 16th, 2020
- How Will COVID-19 Affect Economies of Latin America & the Caribbean? - Havana Times - March 16th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean 3: Why Chow Yun-Fat's Role Was Reduced in China - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- 5 Caribbean Islands Where You Can Go Beyond the Beach - The New York Times - March 6th, 2020
- The 10 Best Adults-Only Hotels in the Caribbean for 2020 - Caribbean Journal - March 6th, 2020
- Caribbean tourism threatened by the region's first cases of COVID-19 - Global Voices - March 6th, 2020
- Is This The Next Big Vacation Spot In The Caribbean? - Forbes - March 6th, 2020
- Spotlight On The Caribbean: Changing Weather - Global Finance - March 6th, 2020
- Curried Cabbage, the Perfect Caribbean Vegan Recipe - Caribbean Journal - March 6th, 2020
- This One Pirates of the Caribbean Line Plays on a Loop in My Head - Vulture - March 6th, 2020
- Strengthening Caribbean regional integration - Caribbean Life - March 6th, 2020
- The Invention of the "Healthy" Caribbean - JSTOR Daily - March 6th, 2020
- Caribbean Health Agency Raises Virus Threat Level to High - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - March 6th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Is Starting To Look Attractive - Seeking Alpha - March 6th, 2020
- Top 7 Jamaican & Caribbean News Stories You Missed The Week Ending March 6th, 2020 - Jamaicans.com - March 6th, 2020
- Caribbean-style roti shop, On the Double, coming this spring to Union Market. - PoPville - March 6th, 2020
- 5 Female Chefs In The Caribbean Who Are Changing The Way We Look At Food - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Finding Bequia secret is out on vacation paradise in the Caribbean - Worcester Telegram - February 24th, 2020
- Caribbean islands: Things to know before you go - Newsday - February 24th, 2020
- Yo Ho, Yo Ho! This "Waters of the Caribbean" Candle Will Bring Back Disneyland Memories - POPSUGAR - February 24th, 2020
- Murder and White Privilege on a Family Holiday in the Caribbean - The New York Times - February 24th, 2020
- Marriott Adds 10,000 Rooms to its Pipeline in the Caribbean and Latin America - FTNnews.com - February 24th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones rank among best Disneyland rides - Deseret News - February 24th, 2020
- African Americans, Afro-Caribbean Americans, And Addiction - Addiction Center - February 24th, 2020
- These Are The Highest-Rated Snorkeling Spots In The Caribbean (On Trip Advisor) - TheTravel - February 24th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean to Close for Annual Refurbishment on May 11th in Disneyland Paris - wdwnt.com - February 24th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean to Close for Refurbishment at Disneyland Paris - Inside the Magic - February 24th, 2020
- A Must-Visit Caribbean Regatta in the BVI - Caribbean Journal - February 24th, 2020
- These Caribbean Islands Are Often Crowded... Because They're Cruise Ports - TheTravel - February 24th, 2020
- US to implement rule denying green cards to Caribbean immigrants who may need gov't aid - Jamaica Observer - February 24th, 2020
- Four men guilty of killing Briton in the Caribbean on round the world dream yachting holiday - Telegraph.co.uk - February 24th, 2020
- SBU Scientist Appeals for Greater Protection of Caribbean Sharks | | SBU - Stony Brook News - February 19th, 2020
- The Future Of Aruba: How The Tiny Caribbean Island Is Bracing For Major New Hotel Development - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- The story behind alumni's Caribbean restaurant: Fazmoz - The Wichitan - February 19th, 2020
- These are the best places in the Caribbean - USA Today 10Best - February 19th, 2020
- Caribbean-like lagoons give homebuyers the benefits of the beach without the risk - CNBC - February 19th, 2020