ImpactAlpha, Nov. 12 Agents of Impact from around Central America and the world arrive in Antigua, Guatemala this week for the fifth Foro Latinoamericano de Inversin de Impacto Centroamrica y El Caribe.
Thespinoff of the annual FLII in Mrida, Mexico, aimsto advance solutions on issues from gender equality and economic inequality to migration and climate change
Pomona Impact, for example, is raising a $35 million second fund to deploy into high-growth enterprises in Central America, in agriculture, as well as basic services including health, education, water and renewable energy.
Weaving systems, the conference theme, puts an emphasis on collaborating across sectors. Its also a nod to the regions competitive agriculture and creative economies.
With debt as well as equity, Pomona is demonstrating impact investing in Central America (video)
As urgency around such issues has risen, so too has interest in businesses and projects that seek to address them, says Daniel Buchbinder, founder of Alterna, the conference host. Global trends and current events, he says, are driving a greater interest in impact investing.
In the four years since the first FLII Central America and the Caribbean, Buchbinder told ImpactAlpha, the logic and the investment impact and value proposal have grown. The range of impact investing instruments, he says, is growing to meet the social environmental challenges of the region.
Representatives of more than 60 fund managers, angel investors, corporate investors, NGOs and regional and international banks are expected among the 600 participants.
Bamboo Capital picked to manage $17 million renewable energy fund in Haiti
The more than 250 early-stage companies include recycling monetization firm Ecoins in Costa Rica, El Salvadors MASSHI, which trains and employs deaf women to produce handicrafts, and Guatemalan firms Ethikos Global and Mai. The turnout is an indication of how the Caribbean and Central American market has evolved in these years, said Buchbinder.
>>Follow ImpactAlphas Latin America coverage.
On the agenda: the future of agriculture and cooperatives, reproductive rights, impact tech, the creative economy and climate change. In a mainstage fireside chat, Ral Pomares of Sonen Capital and Richard Aitkenhead of IDC Group Advisor will discuss Central Americas unique inflection point (see Pomaress SOCAP interview with Rodrigo Villar of Mexico City-based New Ventures).
Agent of Impact (and author of the book Leapfrog) Nathalie Molina Nio of BRAVA Investments,Leticia Gasca of Skill Agility Lab, and Toniics Emilie Cortes will deliver keynotes.
Jeff Furman, one of Ben & Jerrys first employees and an emeritus board member, will dish on the success of one of the worlds most iconic social enterprises, and its acquisition by Unilever.
Buchinder had attended the Latin American Impact Investment Forum in Mexico since it was created and has a good relationship with New Ventures, the Mexico-based organizer. He was convinced of the need for such a fresh, diverse and inclusive connection place in the center of the American continent.
Central America and the Caribbean needed to connect with the rest of the world, and with each other, he says. Now, investors from around the world attend the FLII Central America and the Caribbean.
Incofin helps launch climate resilience insurance for Nicaraguas farmers
All social issues, human rights, migration, extreme climate events all these challenges are also incredible opportunities to invest and reverse thanks to impact investment, says Buchinder.
The Central America region is an ideal place to pilot schemes and understand if a financial instrument works or not, in the fastest way possible.
More news and deals from Central America and the Caribbean:
See the original post:
- Caribbean islands: Things to know before you go - Newsday - February 19th, 2020
- Murder and White Privilege on a Family Holiday in the Caribbean - The New York Times - February 19th, 2020
- SBU Scientist Appeals for Greater Protection of Caribbean Sharks | | SBU - Stony Brook News - February 19th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean 6 theory: How Disney can fix the POTC franchise - Deseret News - February 19th, 2020
- The Future Of Aruba: How The Tiny Caribbean Island Is Bracing For Major New Hotel Development - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- The story behind alumni's Caribbean restaurant: Fazmoz - The Wichitan - February 19th, 2020
- These are the best places in the Caribbean - USA Today 10Best - February 19th, 2020
- Caribbean-like lagoons give homebuyers the benefits of the beach without the risk - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Universal Aviation Expands Presence in the Caribbean with New Cayman Islands Location - AviationPros.com - February 19th, 2020
- A Must-Visit Caribbean Regatta in the BVI - Caribbean Journal - February 19th, 2020
- Nominations Open for the 2020 Rising Star Award Caribbean to be presented at CHRIS - Hospitality Net - February 19th, 2020
- Why The Dominican Republic Is The Cheapest Holiday Destination In The Caribbean - TheTravel - February 19th, 2020
- PHOTOS: New "Minnie Mouse: The Main Attraction" Pirates of the Caribbean Collection Sails Into Walt Disney World - wdwnt.com - February 19th, 2020
- Dress to impress at the 2020 Afro Caribbean Gala in Duluth - Atlanta Journal Constitution - February 19th, 2020
- The Safest Caribbean Islands (That Are Family Vacation Worthy) - TheTravel - February 19th, 2020
- CDB Official: Caribbean Brain Drain Cripples Region - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - February 19th, 2020
- Caribbean - Wikipedia - February 14th, 2020
- Caribbean Map / Map of the Caribbean - Maps and ... - February 14th, 2020
- Caribbean & Mexico Vacation Packages - All Inclusive ... - February 14th, 2020
- Who Needs a Caribbean Yacht When You Can Take the Ferry? - The New York Times - February 14th, 2020
- Shifting the conversation on Caribbean history - Brandeis University - February 14th, 2020
- This restaurant brings the Caribbean to St. Louis - KSDK.com - February 14th, 2020
- A region-wide debate on Caribbean oil and gas is overdue - Dominican Today - February 14th, 2020
- Underrated Curacao should be the next place you go in the Caribbean - USA Today 10Best - February 14th, 2020
- The best wellness resorts in the Caribbean - Business Insider - Business Insider - February 14th, 2020
- Brexit the Caribbean Must Seize the Moment | David Jessop - Caribbean360.com - February 14th, 2020
- Card acquiring trends in the Caribbean - Finextra - February 14th, 2020
- Aptim slapped with another suit for failure to pay for hurricane recovery work in Caribbean - Greater Baton Rouge Business Report - February 14th, 2020
- Top 7 Jamaican & Caribbean News Stories You Missed The Week Ending February 14th, 2020 - Jamaicans.com - February 14th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Tells Investors to Expect Another Record Year - Motley Fool - February 14th, 2020
- 'Global citizen' Connie Carter creates U of T scholarship to boost Caribbean presence on world stage - News@UofT - February 14th, 2020
- Caribbean Map / Map of the Caribbean - Maps and Information ... - February 12th, 2020
- Caribbean & Mexico Vacation Packages - All Inclusive Resorts ... - February 12th, 2020
- Canadian HEIs to support the green economy in the Caribbean - The PIE News - February 12th, 2020
- Utah Royals' new coach draws inspiration from his time in the Caribbean - Salt Lake Tribune - February 12th, 2020
- Con Alma spices up its South America, Mexico, Caribbean flavors with nightly live jazz - PGH City Paper - February 12th, 2020
- CNN's Rick Santorum is going on a Caribbean cruise to help a group that attacks CNN as fake news - Media Matters for America - February 12th, 2020
- 20 Caribbean Destinations Where It's Better (And Cheaper) Not To Stay At An All-Inclusive Resort - TheTravel - February 12th, 2020
- In the Afro-Caribbean heart of Puerto Rico, locals fight erosion, government indifference - USA TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Microplastics Are New Homes for Microbes in the Caribbean - Lab Manager Magazine - February 12th, 2020
- Costa Rica's Caribbean Region, Exotic and Full of Fun Waiting for You to Visit - The Costa Rica News - February 12th, 2020
- How the USVI Is Rebranding St Croix - Caribbean Journal - February 12th, 2020
- Greening Finance: Averting the climate crisis existential threat to the Caribbean - South Florida Caribbean News - February 12th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos Is Getting Its First Dream Hotel - Caribbean Journal - February 12th, 2020
- UN Official: Virus Will Cause Supply Shortages in Caribbean - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - February 12th, 2020
- Digital Nomad: Poker players of the Caribbean - Daily Maverick - February 12th, 2020
- The 10 Best Jamaica Resorts to Visit in 2020 Caribbean Journal - Caribbean Journal - December 27th, 2019
- Caribbean Home: A Mansion in the Heart of Old San Juan - Caribbean Journal - December 27th, 2019
- Celebrating the Festive Season in the Caribbean - Travel Weekly - December 27th, 2019
- Jamaica Jeffs in Belmont Center offers flavors of the Caribbean - The Boston Globe - December 27th, 2019
- Sugary Beverages Are Feeding A Childhood Obesity Epidemic In the Caribbean - Forbes - December 27th, 2019
- Pet of the Week: Caribbean native Luna is looking to settle in R.I. - The Providence Journal - December 27th, 2019
- Fascinating Recreations of 19th Century Caribbean Dance Music - World Music Central - December 27th, 2019
- Inside the 20,000-a-week Caribbean villa where Boris Johnson and Carrie Symonds will celebrate New Year - The Sun - December 27th, 2019
- These Cruises Go To The Most Stunning Caribbean Destinations - TheTravel - December 27th, 2019
- Sunwing Is Launching Its First-Ever Flights to Grand Cayman - Caribbean Journal - December 27th, 2019
- Artistic Treasures of Caribbean Civilizations - Art & Object - December 27th, 2019
- The Most Stunning Caribbean Beaches To Visit This Winter - TheTravel - December 27th, 2019
- American Airlines Kicks Off Two New Nonstop Routes to St Thomas - Caribbean Journal - December 27th, 2019
- Boris Johnson criticised for not visiting flood-hit areas before jetting off to Caribbean - The Independent - December 27th, 2019
- One of the worlds biggest cruise ships is heading to Texas - The Points Guy - December 27th, 2019
- Stafanie Taylor named in the ICC ODI Team of the Year - Caribbean Life - December 27th, 2019
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: 5 Reasons There Should Be A 6th Movie (5 There Should Be A Reboot) - Screen Rant - December 27th, 2019
- The 20 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean to Visit in 2020 - Caribbean Journal - December 21st, 2019
- Caribbean Treasures Long Hidden in Caves Go on View in Arte del Mar at the Met - Observer - December 21st, 2019
- USAID Commits $10M for Disaster Preparedness in the Caribbean - The Maritime Executive - December 21st, 2019
- The 10 Hottest Luxury Caribbean Resorts for 2020 - Caribbean Journal - December 21st, 2019
- Expanding Cannabis Operations in Latin America & The Caribbean: Peru - JD Supra - December 21st, 2019
- Frontier adding 18 nonstop routes, including new flights to Caribbean, El Salvador and Guatemala - USA TODAY - December 21st, 2019
- This Is the Most Romantic Destination in the Caribbean - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 21st, 2019
- How to Get to Anguilla This Winter - Caribbean Journal - December 21st, 2019
- Latin America and the Caribbean: a laboratory for climate action - World - ReliefWeb - December 21st, 2019
- Why You Should Go On A Caribbean Vacation This Winter | TheTravel - TheTravel - December 21st, 2019
- Meet the man who's bringing Caribbean flavor to Dawson County in 2020 - Dawson Community News - December 21st, 2019
- 3 Caribbean Charities Capture the True Meaning of the Holidays - Island Origins - December 21st, 2019
- AMResorts' New Properties in Mexico and the Caribbean - TravelPulse Canada - December 21st, 2019
- EU providing funds to combat mosquito borne diseases in the Caribbean - WIC News - December 21st, 2019
- Escape the winter blues with a Caribbean cruise - KSDK.com - December 21st, 2019
- Caribbean - Wikitravel - December 13th, 2019
- Best Caribbean Islands and Vacations | Islands - December 13th, 2019