Those who value tradition and traditional values and morality often talk about western civilisation. I talk about it all the time. But what does western civilisation actually mean?
It is often assumed that western civilisation began with classical Greece and Rome. This is simply not so. There have in fact been at least three completely different western civilisations, with very little in common.
It is often not appreciated just how profoundly alien the classical civilisation was. This was a world in which religion was largely a matter of ritual. If you failed to perform the rituals correctly the gods would be angry and really bad stuff would happen. If you performed the rituals correctly there was a chance that the gods would be content and would leave you alone. That was about as much as you could expect from the gods.
The idea that religion and morality were intimately connected did not exist. The gods were amoral, selfish, violent and lustful. Its not that there was no concept of morality. Its more that morality was a civic virtue. Morality was necessary because without it society would collapse. The gods simply didnt care, as long as you offered them the correct sacrifices. Morality was not a religious duty, it was merely useful.
The idea that foreign policy had some connection with morality would have been dismissed as an absurdity. Foreign policy was about power. The Athenians, so worshipped by admirers of classical civilisation, were particularly cynical. Wars were fought for purely materialistic reasons. Alexander the Great did not invade the Persian Empire because the Persians were wicked or immoral or uncivilised. He invaded because the Persian Empire was weak and would offer easy pickings. The Roman Empire conquered anybody it was capable of conquering because it was in Romes interest. The business of Rome was imperialism.
By the time that the classical civilisation was reaching its peak philosophers were abandoning the traditional pagan religion but mostly what they offered in its place was a vague pantheism, or even outright atheism. The classical civilisation was conquered by Christianity because it had nothing satisfying to offer people.
When the classical civilisation collapsed in the West it collapsed totally. It was replaced by an entirely new civilisation. Medieval civilisation had nothing in common with classical civilisation. It offered a whole new approach to religion. Religion and morality were now intertwined. Morality became a religious duty. Ritual became relatively unimportant. It survived, but mostly as symbolism.
Kings were now expected to be concerned by things other than power. Being human they were of course still very interested in power. The medievals would have been the first to admit that they often fell short of their ideals. But ideals were still important and they were religious ideals. The king was king by the Grace of God.
Nationalism did not exist. The loyalties that mattered were loyalty to the king, and to the Church.
The Reformation utterly destroyed medieval civilisation. A new civilisation arose in its place, a civilisation that has almost nothing in common with medieval civilisation.
Religion appeared to remain important for a century and a half but it was mostly an illusion. The new civilisation was right from the start well on the way towards being a post-Christian civilisation. The idea that religion was a matter of individual conscience rapidly took hold. What a man believed was his own business. Freedom of religion became a popular idea. In practice of course freedom of religion means freedom from religion. By the 18th century Christianity had ceased to be a factor in national policy, except insofar as national policy was directed toward explicitly anti-Christian objectives (such as state control of education). Once that happened the decline of Christianity was irreversible.
Liberalism became the new religion. Liberalism and capitalism made short work of what remained of Christian morality.
Nationalism appeared. Nationalism is a liberal concept. Nationalism is essentially worship of the state. The two competing religious values were now money and freedom. Freedom of course meant the freedom to pursue money and pleasure. Society as an organic entity gave way to the state and the corporation.
It needs to be clearly understood that this is a civilisation that differs profoundly from earlier western civilisations. It is inherently materialistic and atheistic. Morality is now defined as social conformity.
Whether you think this liberal conception of western civilisation is worth saving is up to you.
See original here:
- What Pandemic? Texas NASCAR Race To Allow Fans At This Weekend's Event - AutoSpies.com - July 14th, 2020
- The Shot Heard Roundand Round and Roundthe World - The Dispatch - July 12th, 2020
- The Rising Blood Tide of The Alt-Left & the Real Threat of Antifa - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - July 12th, 2020
- As shul reopens, can we make it more welcoming to Orthodox women? - Forward - June 22nd, 2020
- End the Civil War Before It Starts: Vote Engel and Schleifer - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: East Hampton Testing Site To Open May 15 - 27east.com - May 9th, 2020
- What Is the 'Alt-Left'? For Starters, Not a Thing | WIRED - May 3rd, 2020
- AltLeft Shuts Down Toronto Comedy Show Over Words 'Free ... - May 3rd, 2020
- Is There an 'Alt-Left'? - Snopes.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Essential Mac keyboard shortcuts and key combinations - Macworld UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Living in an Italy consumed by fear - The Spectator USA - March 27th, 2020
- Hungarian Press Roundup: Weeklies on the State of Emergency - Hungary Today - March 27th, 2020
- Netflix is testing cheap new mobile-only plan that costs just 2.40 a month - The Sun - March 16th, 2020
- Howie Carr: Its time to wake up sleepy Joe Biden - Boston Herald - March 16th, 2020
- Life under lockdown: Italy is being consumed by panic - Spectator.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- The Death Throes of the Failed Sandernista Revolution - Real Context News - March 16th, 2020
- Netflix trialling 2.99 cheapest ever plan but it only works on smartphones or tablets - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix offers first-ever FREE movie that you dont need account to watch - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix FINALLY lets you turn those annoying autoplaying trailers off heres how - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix FORCED to remove nine movies after government objections including boozy Jesus party film - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Why the Alt-Left Is a Problem, Too | Vanity Fair - January 30th, 2020
- One of the Vail Valley's fur-baby favorites, Dr. Julie Alt, is calling it a career - Vail Daily News - January 30th, 2020
- The psychology and physiology of propaganda: A study of the radicalization of women - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Paradox Interactive Announced At PDXCON 2019 - Kotaku Australia - October 24th, 2019
- Netflix vows crackdown on users who share logins with pals or family and could make you pay EXTRA - The Sun - October 24th, 2019
- Dont like the facts? Just Schiff the narrative - Boston Herald - October 1st, 2019
- UI Events KeyboardEvent code Values - World Wide Web ... - June 3rd, 2019
- Automate the Boring Stuff with Python - June 3rd, 2019
- AltLeft.com "The Left of the AltRight" - May 2nd, 2019
- Andrew Yang Rejects Support From White Nationalists ... - May 1st, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - April 29th, 2019
- Lionel Nation - YouTube - April 22nd, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 12th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 12th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 12th, 2019
- Here’s How Big the M87 Black Hole Is Compared to the Earth - April 12th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 12th, 2019
- NASA Is Funding the Development of 18 Bizarre New Projects - April 12th, 2019
- Report: Tesla Doc Is Playing Down Injuries to Block Workers’ Comp - April 12th, 2019
- Infertile Couple Gives Birth to “Three-Parent Baby” - April 12th, 2019
- NASA: Genetic Changes Caused by Space Travel Are Temporary - April 12th, 2019
- Israel’s Lunar Lander Just Crashed Into the Moon - April 12th, 2019
- We Wouldn’t Have the First Black Hole Image Without Katie Bouman - April 12th, 2019
- Family Caught Selling Diseased Body Parts to Medical Centers - April 12th, 2019
- SpaceX Milestone: Company Lands Three Falcon Heavy Boosters - April 12th, 2019
- Space Station Mice Learned to Propel Themselves in Zero Gravity - April 12th, 2019
- People Are Horrified When They Have to Torture a Virtual Person - April 12th, 2019
- Fecal Transplants Reduce Symptoms of Autism Long Term - April 12th, 2019
- The First Black Hole Photo Is Even More Amazing When You Zoom Out - April 12th, 2019
- Seven Ways Cannabis Legalization Will Make the Future Better - April 11th, 2019
- Chinese Scientists Gene-Hacked Super Smart Human-Monkey Hybrids - April 11th, 2019
- Scientists: Next Black Hole Image Will Be Way Clearer - April 11th, 2019
- Walmart Is Rolling Out Floor-Cleaning Robots in 1,500 Stores - April 11th, 2019
- Zapping Elderly People’s Brains Supercharges Their Working Memory - April 11th, 2019
- Tesla Says Autopilot Is Statistically Safer Than a Human Driver - April 11th, 2019
- Amazon Is Fighting South American Govs to Control “.Amazon” Domains - April 11th, 2019
- China Is Trying to Scrub Bikinis and Smoking From the Internet - April 11th, 2019
- Undersea Robots Are Helping Save the Great Barrier Reef - April 11th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 11th, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 11th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 11th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 11th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 11th, 2019
- Infertile Couple Gives Birth to “Three-Parent Baby” - April 11th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 11th, 2019
- Here’s How Big the M87 Black Hole Is Compared to the Earth - April 11th, 2019
- NASA Is Funding the Development of 18 Bizarre New Projects - April 11th, 2019
- Report: Tesla Doc Is Playing Down Injuries to Block Workers’ Comp - April 11th, 2019