NETFLIX has promised to crack down on users who share their passwords with friends or family members.
It means that if you borrow someone's login, you may have to start paying for your own account in full instead.
Netflix already offers some account-sharing features, designed to let people in a single household use one login.
Profiles let users switch between their own browsing history.
But Netflix worries that some users are sharing their logins among different households, with distant pals or even stranges.
Speaking at Netflix's Q3 2019 earnings last week, Netflix product chief Greg Peters said the firm wants to address password-sharing without "alienating a certain portion of [the] user base".
"We continue to monitor it so we're looking at the situation," he said.
"We'll see those consumer-friendly ways to push on the edges of that."
Netflix hasn't detailed exactly what that means for users.
But experts told The Sun that we're already seeing some early signs of a crackdown.
"They are policing this [already] by blocking the third concurrent screen if two screens are in use at the same time," said Michael Pachter, a top analyst at Wedbush Securities, speaking to The Sun.
"That doesn't help if the users are in different time zones, as many households with kids in college are.
"However, it definitely cracks down on widespread password sharing."
He added: "They also have a way to track device usage and can require two-factor authentication, although they've haven't rolled that out yet."
Use Netflix on a computer or laptop? Try these useful shortcuts
Here are some handy keyboard shortcuts...
The news follows a major announcement by tech firm Synamedia about a new AI system that cracks down on account sharing.
It uses machine learning technology to track shared passwords on streaming services.
And this technology could then be used to force users to upgrade to a premium service, or even shut down their account.
"Casual credentials sharing is becoming too expensive to ignore," said product chief Jean Marc Racine, speaking at the CES event in Las Vegas this year.
"Our new solution gives operators the ability to take action.
"Many casual users will be happy to pay an additional fee for a premium, shared service.
"It's a great way to keep honest people honest, while benefiting from an incremental revenue stream."
In other news, the BBC may give ever licence fee payer a free TV streaming stick "to combat Netflix".
The BBC and ITV have teamed up fora new 5.99-a-month streaming service called BritBox.
Apple is preparing to launchits own streaming service called Apple TV+ on November 1.
GAME DAY Call of Duty Modern Warfare release date is TODAY read our ultimate launch guide
SWORD IN THE STONE 'Real Excalibur' pulled from rock at bottom of lake
HIDDEN FIGURES Skeletons of woman and child dating back 500 years found in Tower of London
LUNAR MYSTERY Crashed Indian Moon lander mysteriously 'missing' as Nasa fails to find it
QUANTUM LEAP Google claims to have developed breakthrough computer which is fastest EVER
And Netflix recentlyhiked prices for some users by up to 2 a month.
Do you think Netflix is right to crack down on account sharing? Let us know in the comments!
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Originally posted here:
- McCarthyite witch-hunt over alleged anti-Semitism explodes in British Labour Party - WSWS - August 3rd, 2020
- Howie Carr: Alt-left media still cling to their Big (Russia) Lie - Boston Herald - July 28th, 2020
- What Is Alt-Left? Here's What You Really Need to Know - July 23rd, 2020
- What Is the 'Alt-Left'? For Starters, Not a Thing | WIRED - July 23rd, 2020
- Antifa Berkeley: Why the 'Alt-Left' Is a Problem | Time - July 23rd, 2020
- Is There an 'Alt-Left'? - Snopes.com - July 23rd, 2020
- What is the "alt-left" Trump was talking about? - CBS News - July 23rd, 2020
- Why the Alt-Left Is a Problem, Too | Vanity Fair - July 23rd, 2020
- Alt-Right, Alt-Left, Antifa: A Glossary of Extremist ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Netflix launches shuffle button that plays a random show for viewers who dont know what to watch - The Sun - July 23rd, 2020
- The Shot Heard Roundand Round and Roundthe World - The Dispatch - July 12th, 2020
- The Rising Blood Tide of The Alt-Left & the Real Threat of Antifa - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - July 12th, 2020
- As shul reopens, can we make it more welcoming to Orthodox women? - Forward - June 22nd, 2020
- End the Civil War Before It Starts: Vote Engel and Schleifer - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: East Hampton Testing Site To Open May 15 - 27east.com - May 9th, 2020
- AltLeft Shuts Down Toronto Comedy Show Over Words 'Free ... - May 3rd, 2020
- Essential Mac keyboard shortcuts and key combinations - Macworld UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Living in an Italy consumed by fear - The Spectator USA - March 27th, 2020
- Hungarian Press Roundup: Weeklies on the State of Emergency - Hungary Today - March 27th, 2020
- Netflix is testing cheap new mobile-only plan that costs just 2.40 a month - The Sun - March 16th, 2020
- Howie Carr: Its time to wake up sleepy Joe Biden - Boston Herald - March 16th, 2020
- Life under lockdown: Italy is being consumed by panic - Spectator.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- The Death Throes of the Failed Sandernista Revolution - Real Context News - March 16th, 2020
- Netflix trialling 2.99 cheapest ever plan but it only works on smartphones or tablets - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix offers first-ever FREE movie that you dont need account to watch - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix FINALLY lets you turn those annoying autoplaying trailers off heres how - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix FORCED to remove nine movies after government objections including boozy Jesus party film - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- One of the Vail Valley's fur-baby favorites, Dr. Julie Alt, is calling it a career - Vail Daily News - January 30th, 2020
- The psychology and physiology of propaganda: A study of the radicalization of women - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Paradox Interactive Announced At PDXCON 2019 - Kotaku Australia - October 24th, 2019
- Dont like the facts? Just Schiff the narrative - Boston Herald - October 1st, 2019
- UI Events KeyboardEvent code Values - World Wide Web ... - June 3rd, 2019
- Automate the Boring Stuff with Python - June 3rd, 2019
- AltLeft.com "The Left of the AltRight" - May 2nd, 2019
- Andrew Yang Rejects Support From White Nationalists ... - May 1st, 2019
- Ripple Price Forecast: XRP vs SWIFT, SEC Updates, and More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Looking Past the Bithumb Crypto Hack - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: This Week on Bitfinex, Tether, Coinbase, & More - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: What You Need to Know This Week - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: XRP Validators, Malta, and Practical Tokens - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETFs, Andreessen Horowitz, and Contradictions in Crypto - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: New Exchanges Could Boost Crypto Liquidity - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Bitcoin ETF Rejection, AMD Microchip Sales, and Hedge Funds - April 29th, 2019
- Bitcoin Rise: Is the Recent Bitcoin Price Surge a Sign of Things to Come or Another Misdirection? - April 29th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News: Vitalik Buterin Doesn’t Care About Bitcoin ETFs - April 29th, 2019
- Lionel Nation - YouTube - April 22nd, 2019
- The Politically Incorrect Australian - April 22nd, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Say New Quantum Material Could “‘Download’ Your Brain” - April 12th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 12th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 12th, 2019
- MIT Prof: If We Live in a Simulation, Are We Players or NPCs? - April 12th, 2019
- Here’s How Big the M87 Black Hole Is Compared to the Earth - April 12th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 12th, 2019
- NASA Is Funding the Development of 18 Bizarre New Projects - April 12th, 2019
- Report: Tesla Doc Is Playing Down Injuries to Block Workers’ Comp - April 12th, 2019
- Infertile Couple Gives Birth to “Three-Parent Baby” - April 12th, 2019
- NASA: Genetic Changes Caused by Space Travel Are Temporary - April 12th, 2019
- Israel’s Lunar Lander Just Crashed Into the Moon - April 12th, 2019
- We Wouldn’t Have the First Black Hole Image Without Katie Bouman - April 12th, 2019
- Family Caught Selling Diseased Body Parts to Medical Centers - April 12th, 2019
- SpaceX Milestone: Company Lands Three Falcon Heavy Boosters - April 12th, 2019
- Space Station Mice Learned to Propel Themselves in Zero Gravity - April 12th, 2019
- People Are Horrified When They Have to Torture a Virtual Person - April 12th, 2019
- Fecal Transplants Reduce Symptoms of Autism Long Term - April 12th, 2019
- The First Black Hole Photo Is Even More Amazing When You Zoom Out - April 12th, 2019
- Seven Ways Cannabis Legalization Will Make the Future Better - April 11th, 2019
- Chinese Scientists Gene-Hacked Super Smart Human-Monkey Hybrids - April 11th, 2019
- Scientists: Next Black Hole Image Will Be Way Clearer - April 11th, 2019
- Walmart Is Rolling Out Floor-Cleaning Robots in 1,500 Stores - April 11th, 2019
- Zapping Elderly People’s Brains Supercharges Their Working Memory - April 11th, 2019
- Tesla Says Autopilot Is Statistically Safer Than a Human Driver - April 11th, 2019
- Amazon Is Fighting South American Govs to Control “.Amazon” Domains - April 11th, 2019
- China Is Trying to Scrub Bikinis and Smoking From the Internet - April 11th, 2019
- Undersea Robots Are Helping Save the Great Barrier Reef - April 11th, 2019
- The Israeli Moon Lander Is About to Touch Down - April 11th, 2019
- Some People Are Exceptionally Good at Predicting the Future - April 11th, 2019
- Scientists Find a New Way to Kickstart Stable Fusion Reactions - April 11th, 2019
- Amazon Workers Listen to Your Alexa Conversations, Then Mock Them - April 11th, 2019