NETFLIX has revealed which films it was told to remove from its library due to complaints from governments across the world.
Nine controversial movies and episodes came under fire and have since been axed in certain regions due to outcry.
The countries which demanded Netflix remove certain content include Germany, New Zealand, Singapore, Vietnam and Saudi Arabia.
Netflix's admission was part of its first ever Environmental Social Governance report.
The company stated: "We will publish a report each year covering our environmental, social, and governance (ESG) performance.
"It will look back at the previous year and give investors as well as other third parties information about our broader impact in society."
Netflix has said it only takes down a film or TV show in this manner if a government specifically writes and requests them to.
It also aims to work with authorities to keep content online if possible.
Below are the nine films and episodes that Netflix was forced to ban, including three programmes about cannabis and some controversial films about Jesus Christ.
Netflix removed this film from its New Zealand service in 2015 after receiving a written demand from the New Zealand Film and Video Labeling Body.
The removal request was made because the film is classified as "objectionable" in the country.
This film was removed in Vietnam only after Netflix received a written demand from the Vietnamese Authority of Broadcasting and Electronic Information (ABEI) back in 2017.
Also in 2017, the German Commission for Youth Protection (KJM) requested that Night of the Living Dead be removed from German Netflix.
A version of the film was already banned in the country.
In 2018, Netflix removed the cannabis focused programmes Cooking on High, The Legend of 420 and Disjointed from its service in Singapore.
This was due to a written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA).
In Singapore, importing, exporting or trafficking over 500 grams of weed can result in the death penalty.
In 2019, one episode of the series Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj was removed from the Saudi Arabian Netflix service.
It was the episode called "Saudi Arabia" and it looked into human rights in the country and the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
The Saudi Communication and Information Technology Commission requested that it was removed.
Despite being released two decades earlier, Netflix had to remove The Last Temptation of Christ from its Singapore service.
The film was already banned in the country so Netflix had to oblige with the written demand from the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA).
This comedy about Jesus getting very drunk at the Last Supper was another film that the Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) demanded the removal of.
Netflix complied with this request earlier this year.
We have reached out to the IMDA for comment.
Use Netflix on a computer or laptop? Try these useful shortcuts
Here are some handy keyboard shortcuts...
SPACED OUT Mysterious object 500million light years away sends signals that hit Earth
FRESH APPLE Cheapest iPhone in years at just 399 'coming next month', insiders claim
DREAM STREAM Netflix trialling 2.99 plan but it only works on smartphones or tablets
GHOST HUNTERS Scientists find evidence of mysterious 'ghost population' of ancient humans
NOT ANOTHER ONE! Mystery new virus named after 'mermaid who lured soldiers to their deaths'
HELL'S SHELLS 'Mega turtles' TWICE as big as humans dating back 5million years found
In other news, Netflix is finally giving you the option to stop TV show or movie trailers from automatically playing.
Netflix has vowed to crack down onusers who share logins with pals.
And, the BBC may give ever licence fee payer a free TV streaming stick "to combat Netflix".
Do you think Netflix was right to remove the nine controversial films? Let us know in the comments...
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
View original post here:
- Netflix launches its first TV channel that streams shows just like regular telly - The Sun - November 13th, 2020
- Hungarian Press Roundup: No Compromise in Sight over Theatre and Film University - Hungary Today - September 8th, 2020
- Slow Joe Biden is a few fries short of a Happy Meal: Howie Carr - Boston Herald - September 8th, 2020
- [OPINION] Law and order president? The chaos and violence Trump wants you to be fearful and hateful of is happening now under his watch - Asian... - September 8th, 2020
- Here's Why You Should Never Use the Term "Alt-Left" - POPSUGAR - September 8th, 2020
- With Republicans like these, who needs Ds? - The Highland County Press - September 2nd, 2020
- Resident Evil survival horror TV series is coming to Netflix and fans think its the next Stranger Things - The Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- Checking In With the Newsletter Economy - New York Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- Say Goodbye to IITs, IIMs Et Al? NEP 2020 Will Convert Indias Top Institutions Into JNU Copies - Swarajya - August 10th, 2020
- What is the "alt-left" Trump was talking about? - CBS News - August 7th, 2020
- Is There an 'Alt-Left'? - Snopes.com - August 7th, 2020
- Antifa Berkeley: Why the 'Alt-Left' Is a Problem | Time - August 7th, 2020
- Alt-Right, Alt-Left, Antifa: A Glossary of Extremist ... - August 7th, 2020
- McCarthyite witch-hunt over alleged anti-Semitism explodes in British Labour Party - WSWS - August 3rd, 2020
- Howie Carr: Alt-left media still cling to their Big (Russia) Lie - Boston Herald - July 28th, 2020
- What Is Alt-Left? Here's What You Really Need to Know - July 23rd, 2020
- What Is the 'Alt-Left'? For Starters, Not a Thing | WIRED - July 23rd, 2020
- Why the Alt-Left Is a Problem, Too | Vanity Fair - July 23rd, 2020
- Netflix launches shuffle button that plays a random show for viewers who dont know what to watch - The Sun - July 23rd, 2020
- The Shot Heard Roundand Round and Roundthe World - The Dispatch - July 12th, 2020
- The Rising Blood Tide of The Alt-Left & the Real Threat of Antifa - AmmoLand Shooting Sports News - July 12th, 2020
- As shul reopens, can we make it more welcoming to Orthodox women? - Forward - June 22nd, 2020
- End the Civil War Before It Starts: Vote Engel and Schleifer - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Conservative Jews: Do you care about Israel? Then vote Trump out - Forward - June 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: East Hampton Testing Site To Open May 15 - 27east.com - May 9th, 2020
- AltLeft Shuts Down Toronto Comedy Show Over Words 'Free ... - May 3rd, 2020
- Essential Mac keyboard shortcuts and key combinations - Macworld UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Living in an Italy consumed by fear - The Spectator USA - March 27th, 2020
- Hungarian Press Roundup: Weeklies on the State of Emergency - Hungary Today - March 27th, 2020
- Netflix is testing cheap new mobile-only plan that costs just 2.40 a month - The Sun - March 16th, 2020
- Howie Carr: Its time to wake up sleepy Joe Biden - Boston Herald - March 16th, 2020
- Life under lockdown: Italy is being consumed by panic - Spectator.co.uk - March 16th, 2020
- The Death Throes of the Failed Sandernista Revolution - Real Context News - March 16th, 2020
- Netflix trialling 2.99 cheapest ever plan but it only works on smartphones or tablets - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix offers first-ever FREE movie that you dont need account to watch - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Netflix FINALLY lets you turn those annoying autoplaying trailers off heres how - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- One of the Vail Valley's fur-baby favorites, Dr. Julie Alt, is calling it a career - Vail Daily News - January 30th, 2020
- The psychology and physiology of propaganda: A study of the radicalization of women - University of Virginia The Cavalier Daily - January 30th, 2020
- Everything Paradox Interactive Announced At PDXCON 2019 - Kotaku Australia - October 24th, 2019
- Netflix vows crackdown on users who share logins with pals or family and could make you pay EXTRA - The Sun - October 24th, 2019
- Dont like the facts? Just Schiff the narrative - Boston Herald - October 1st, 2019
- UI Events KeyboardEvent code Values - World Wide Web ... - June 3rd, 2019
- Automate the Boring Stuff with Python - June 3rd, 2019
- AltLeft.com "The Left of the AltRight" - May 2nd, 2019
- Andrew Yang Rejects Support From White Nationalists ... - May 1st, 2019
- Lionel Nation - YouTube - April 22nd, 2019
- The Politically Incorrect Australian - April 22nd, 2019
- KNOPPIX 8.1.0 - Linux Live System - knopper.net - March 5th, 2019
- KNOPPIX 7.7.1 - Linux Live System - January 4th, 2019
- Jacobs Email - IT - Teamwork at Jacobs University - January 4th, 2019
- KNOPPIX 7.4.2 / ADRIANE 1.7 - Live CD / DVD - December 19th, 2018
- Alt-Left Melts Down Over "Unmasking Antifa" Act | Zero Hedge - December 19th, 2018
- Virginia Election Predictions: Will Weather Rain on ... - August 24th, 2018
- What is the Alt Left? - American Greatness - June 29th, 2018
- John McCain: Dying Without Dignity - committedconservative.com - June 10th, 2018
- KNOPPIX 8.0.0 - Linux Live System - May 25th, 2018
- Protesters Try to Shut Down Jordan Peterson at Queen's ... - April 27th, 2018
- KNOPPIX 8.1.0 - Linux Live System - March 19th, 2018
- Robert Stark Talks to Ashley Messinger About ... - altleft.com - March 18th, 2018
- Jordan Towers 70news - March 7th, 2018
- A Clockwork Greenshirt Introducing the Alt Left ... - February 6th, 2018