TheNational Science Foundation Advanced Technological Educationprogram has named PCC the lead agency on a $7 million grant that will develop new approaches to educating students in micro nano technology.
PCC Natural Sciences professor Jared Ashcroft will direct the project, which will bring together a network of nearly 30 higher education institutions, industry partners and as many researchers, scientists, and educators.
Over the past half century, micro nano technologies have progressed from experimental applications in electrical and mechanical engineering to biotechnology, optical sciences, and other fields. As the field has expanded quickly, community colleges have a growing duty to educate lab technicians and other personnel to operate machinery, manage cleanrooms and conduct research in increasingly unpredictable ways.
Community colleges have to evolve in what they teach, Ashcroft explained. We need to converge these different technologies so we can prepare students for future jobs, not the jobs in the field of five years ago. Industry and research are driving nanotechnology forward and its time for us to have our teaching be a part of that.
The grant will create theMicro Nano Technology Education Centerat PCC, a consortium bringing together community college and baccalaureate granting educational institutions, research laboratories, and private corporations working in micro nano technology fields. The Center will serve as a hub of curriculum development, professional learning, and information exchange for college educators and researchers looking for new ideas in building the nations micro nano technology workforce.
As advanced academic research uncovers new uses for nano-scale technologies, the implementation and commercialization of these discoveries requires a constantly evolving and highly skilled workforce. Unfortunately, many community colleges have resisted making large investments in teaching at the scale of individual atoms, which requires expensive microscopes, fabrication devices, and data processing technologies, not to mention skilled educators at the front of the classroom.
In building a network of institutions around the country, the Center will pool resources and make them available to member institutions and others for their students. At PCC, for example, Ashcroft has used online videoconferencing to give his students experience with a scanning electron microscope located in the undergraduate research laboratory housed in the E Building. Access to more of these machines will boost his students exposure to recent developments in the field, as well as providing vital work-based learning opportunities as they advance in their studies.
Ashcrofts partners bring a range of approaches to the work. Kate Alcott is the associate director of the Northeast Advanced Technological Education Center at the State University of New York Polytechnic Institute in Utica. We know that the technician shortage is real, so were working really hard to help these industries pull in these technologies, she said. She trains with U.S. Army veterans from nearby Fort Drum in nano skills so they can find jobs when they leave the service.
At the University of New Mexico Support Center for Microsytsems Education, Matt Pleil has been building nano education since 2004. The university brings faculty and students to workshops in their sophisticated cleanroom on the Albuquerque campus, giving them the opportunity to not only advance research but to chart the future of advanced technology education. A group of ten PCC students attended a week-long cleanroom workshop at the facility last summer.
One of the most promising outlets for future micro nano tech investment is in the development of vaccines that target the genetic code of individual diseases. Todd Christenson, the chief technology officer at HT Micro, a 15,000 square-foot engineering and fabrication facility also in Albuquerque, said that his company and, in some cases, the society at large depends on sophisticated technicians who are ready to work. Its incumbent on us to realize this field is growing into areas, other markets, than it has in a long time, he said.
Over the next six months, the PCC Center will lay the groundwork for the five-year effort to have maximum impact. Contracts and subawards are being made to solidify the network. Infrastructure is being laid and partnerships are being made so that information can begin to flow.
The first priority is to recruit more faculty to the network, with a particular focus on younger instructors and faculty from diverse backgrounds. Mentor relationships with established educators will help maintain a vibrant field. If we dont get younger and more diverse, Ashcroft explained, were going to lose the knowledge weve already accumulated. Much of the educational workforce will be approaching retirement in the next decade, so its crucial to prepare the next generation of micro nano tech professors.
As the work gets underway, Ashcroft is already noticing the network effects of the work. It used to be that we would get together once a year, he said of the practitioners and educators working in nano. We dont have it all together, but together we have it all.
In nano as in all things, a series of small steps can lead to very big things.
- What Is Nanotechnology and How Does It Create Water Solubl... - marketscreener.com - November 13th, 2021
- Nanotechnology and medicine: Gold could be the unexpected secret weapon against antibiotic resistance - Times Now - November 13th, 2021
- Nano Nickel Market Growth with Trends, Analysis by Regions, Type, Application, Restraints, and Top 10 Key Players Profile and forecast to 2027| CVMR... - November 13th, 2021
- Maximum Human Lifespan Could Reach Age 150 Thanks to Nanotechnology and Drugs but Society May Not Be Ready - The Daily Beast - November 2nd, 2021
- Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market 2021-2026 Size and Share, Recent Enhancements and Regional Analysis | Key Companies: 3M, Dentsply... - November 2nd, 2021
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology Market 2021 Revenue, Share, Driving Innovations, Future Growth and Growth Forecast To 2027 Chip Design Magazine -... - November 2nd, 2021
- Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Beetroot Extract - AZoM - November 2nd, 2021
- Seven spooky things that people say are in the COVID-19 vaccines but definitely arent - Austin American-Statesman - November 2nd, 2021
- Food Nanotechnology Sales Market 2021 Detailed Analysis of top Ventures with Regional Outlook | Key Companies: Aquanova, Blue California, Frutarom... - November 2nd, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Copper Carbonate Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Eastmen Chemicals, Jost Chemical Co., William Blythe, Pan-Continental... - November 2nd, 2021
- POC Diagnostics Market Size [2021-2028] | is Projected to Reach USD 36.21 Billion by 2028 - Yahoo Finance - November 2nd, 2021
- Nanosensor & Digital Twin Tech Come Together At COP26 To Help Deliver A Circular Economy As Part Of The Race To Zero - Scoop.co.nz - November 2nd, 2021
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market To Witness Promising Growth Opportunities and Competitive Analysis IMIESA - IMIESA - November 2nd, 2021
- On-water creation of conducting MOF nanosheets - Nanowerk - November 2nd, 2021
- Machine Learning Can Reduce Worry About Nanoparticles In Food - Texas A&M Today - Texas A&M University Today - June 15th, 2021
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2021 2027, Details in Relation to the Value, Supply Chain Analysis and Recent Technological Developments | Glonatech,... - June 15th, 2021
- Global Nanotechnology in Cancer Treatment Market 2021 Landscape Assessment by Type, Opportunities and Growth Rate by 2026 The Manomet Current - The... - June 15th, 2021
- Insights on the Nanomedicines Global Market to 2026 - - GlobeNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Nanotechnology Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Reviews, Segments, Revenue, and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 15th, 2021
- Covid-19 Impact Analysis of Nanotechnology In Medical Devices Market with Profiling Leading Companies like Stryker Corporation (US), 3M Company (US),... - June 15th, 2021
- Global Nanotechnology Market Competitive Landscape, SWOT Analysis, Opportunities And Challenges, Growth By 2021-2028||PEN, Inc., Bruker Nano GmbH,... - June 15th, 2021
- India's first anti-microbial roll-on 'CoviRaksha' launched for treatment of COVID-19: All you need to know - Free Press Journal - June 15th, 2021
- Nanotechnology Medical Devices Market 2021 Will Reflect Significant Growth in Future with Size, Share, Industry Growth, and Key Companies Analysis,... - June 15th, 2021
- Super Resolution Microscopes Market to Reach USD 5.06 Billion, Globally by 2027 - PharmiWeb.com - June 15th, 2021
- Nanotechnology to Aid in the Development of High-Performance Steel Pipe Coatings Market 2028 The Courier - The Courier - June 15th, 2021
- Innovative Report on Graphite Coatings Market: Newly Invented Strategies, Statistical Investigation, Regulative Landscape and Forecast 2027 KSU | The... - June 15th, 2021
- Global Nanotechnology for Healthcare Market Forecast 2021 to 2028 Global Analysis and Forecasts By Application And Segment with Growth Rate,... - June 15th, 2021
- Cameras and telescopes as thin as a sheet of paper? - Nanowerk - June 15th, 2021
- Single Blood Drop Analysis Market: Rising use of advanced microfluidic chips in PoC is a notable factor bolstering the market - BioSpace - June 15th, 2021
- What Impact Will Nanotechnology Have on IoT? - IoT For All - December 22nd, 2020
- C-Bond Systems Provides 2020 Year in Review Other OTC:CBNT - GlobeNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market to Witness Stunning Growth to Generate Massive Revenue During Forecast 2020 2027 | 3M Company, Dentsply... - December 22nd, 2020
- NBD Nanotechnologies announces InvisiPrint MBED, an anti-fingerprint coating with embedded antimicrobial protection - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Food Nanotechnology Market TO GENERATE LUCRATIVE REVENUE PROSPECTS FOR MANUFACTURERS AFTER THE END OF COVID-19 CRISIS - The Courier - December 22nd, 2020
- Cybersecurity expert: After Russian hack, common security tools, including cloud-based multi-factor systems, shown to be less effective in preventing... - December 22nd, 2020
- Nanotechnology in Energy Market Analysis by Market Size, Market Status, Market Share, Growth with Top key players, and Forecasts to 2028 - BIZNEWS - December 22nd, 2020
- Nanotechnology Market 2020 Research Report Global Opportunities and Challenges with Forecast 2027 - BAVIATION Business Aviation News - December 17th, 2020
- COVID-19 and cancer: From basic mechanisms to vaccine development using nanotechnology - DocWire News - December 17th, 2020
- Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market by Product Type (Biochip, Implantable Material, Medical Textile & Wounding Dressing, Active Implant... - October 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market: Analysis and In-depth Study on Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Size Trends, Emerging... - October 19th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology Market 2020 Size, Growth And Status, Analysis and Forecast 2026 By Segmentation And Geography Overview|Globalmarketers - PRnews... - October 19th, 2020
- Ready To Use Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Global Industry Analysis, Trends and Forecast, 2020-2020 - Aerospace Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2026| Stryker, 3M, Smith & Nephew -... - October 19th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Industry analysis and forecast (2019-2026) by product and region. - Galus Australis - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials Market Expeted To Reach xx.xx mn USD With growth Rate of xx by 2025| Pandamic Impact Analysis: BASF SE,... - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Equipment Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2025 - Scientect - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology Market 2020 to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Top Key Players; Nanosys, Inc., Nanophase Technologies Corporation, Altair... - September 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on: Nanotechnology Textile Market Key Driver, Key Developments, Trends, Product, Region, Challenges and Forecast to 2025 | Nano... - September 2nd, 2020
- Aerospace Nanotechnology Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Key Players Analysis, Business Growth, Future Demand and Forecast by 2027 - Bulletin Line - September 2nd, 2020
- Coronavirus scams sweeping the nation - Las Vegas Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Five new restaurants to try in Las Vegas - Eater Vegas - August 10th, 2020
- 'Heavy lifting:' West is big, tough, deep and wide open - Las Vegas Sun - August 10th, 2020
- The Latest: Women's Rugby Europe tourney to end in October - Las Vegas Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Health officials are quitting or getting fired amid outbreak - Las Vegas Sun - August 10th, 2020
- More people needing financial help because of pandemic, Las Vegas credit union opens new location - KTNV Las Vegas - August 10th, 2020
- German man severs another's hand off with machete - Las Vegas Sun - August 10th, 2020
- FDA Publishes Report on Nanotechnology Over a Decade of Progress and Innovation, Will Hold Webinar on August 13 - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- Nanotechnology and the Fight Against COVID-19 - AZoNano - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impacts: Scanning Electron Microscope Market Will Accelerate at a CAGR of almost 8% through 2020-2024 | Increasing Focus on Nanotechnology to... - August 10th, 2020
- Plus Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial and Business Results - BioSpace - August 10th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market Is Set for a Rapid Growth and is Expected to Reach USD Billion by 2027: Stryker Corporation , 3M... - August 10th, 2020
- IIT Guwahati becomes the first institute to produce Covid-19 diagnostic kits - Deccan Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Global Tactical and Outdoor Clothing Market 2020-2024: Smart Technologies and Flame-Resistant Tactical Clothing Key Growth Factors - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Electronic components join forces to take up 10 times less space on computer chips - University of Illinois News - August 10th, 2020
- IIT Delhi, OUAT Bhubaneswar Sign MoU for Strengthening Research & Education in Cutting Edge Areas of Agriculture and Allied Subjects - India... - August 10th, 2020
- The Best In - The Bahamas - Chessbase News - August 10th, 2020
- What travel looks like in the Bahamas in 2020 - Lonely Planet Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Could The Bahamas Petroleum Company plc (LON:BPC) Ownership Structure Tell Us Something Useful? - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- More than 200 healthcare workers at PMH being monitored, 30 infected - EyeWitness News - August 10th, 2020
- The Bahamas will promote competitiveness and environmental resiliency with the IDB support - MENAFN.COM - August 10th, 2020
- UK quarantine imposed for travellers from Belgium, Andorra and the Bahamas - Telegraph.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- UK Quarantine List: Belgium, Andorra and the Bahamas have been added - Full details - Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard - August 10th, 2020
- Spain denies it is facing second wave; Africa cases hit 1 million as it happened - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Weather forecast: UK to 'be hotter than the Bahamas' this week as heatwave arrives - Evening Standard - August 10th, 2020
- Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials Market Trends & Size is expected to grow Upcoming Years 2020-2026 - Bulletin Line - August 10th, 2020
- GLOBAL NANOTECHNOLOGY IN AGRICULTURE MARKET 2020 TO PERCEIVE BIGGEST TREND AND OPPORTUNITY BY 2027 WITH TOP KEY PLAYERS LIKE Nanosys Inc, ASML... - August 10th, 2020
- PhD admission programs at NIAB: Apply by August 16 - Mathrubhumi English - August 10th, 2020
- Nanotechnology-based antiviral therapeutics - DocWire News - August 10th, 2020
- The Iron Man Defeat Too EMBARRASSING For The Movies | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Devices Market 2020: Global Industry Analysis By Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2029 - Owned - August 8th, 2020