THIS WEEKSCHOOL PLAY
Shelter Island Schools elementary students will perform The Big Chill on stage on Thursday, Feb. 13, at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.
The Shelter Island Library presents Friday Night Dialogues on Friday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m. featuring Short and Sweet: Stories of Love. Whose heart does not warm at a love story? In celebration of Valentines Day, Islanders John and Katherine Moore will present a reading of short pieces on the subject of love in many forms. Featuring refreshments. Register at 631-749-0042.
Visit Mashomack Preserve on Saturday, Feb. 15, from 10 a.m. to noon for Signs of Life in Winter. Come see what is out and about in the dead of winter. We will hike, look for tracks, search for birds and learn how animals survive the cold season.
The Shelter Island Library hosts a new podcast club on Saturday, Feb. 15, at 2 p.m. The club will gather monthly to discuss podcast episodes over coffee or tea and explore a variety of topics. Listen to the podcasts at home, then join neighbors at the library. This month, the group will listen to Mobituaries, presented by journalist and humorist Mo Rocca and talk about the black Congressmen of Reconstruction in honor of Black History Month.
Shelter Island Friends of Music presents violin virtuoso Eric Silberger and pianist Bradley Moore at the Shelter Island Presbyterian Church on Sunday, Feb. 16, at 3 p.m., featuring music by Mozart, R. Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Gershwin and Hubay. A meet-the-artists wine and cheese reception follows. Free. shelterislandfriendsofmusic.org.
The Shelter Island Library presents Friday Night Dialogues: Getting Organized: A Talk and Discussion with Patty Morrissey on Friday, Feb. 21, at 7 p.m. Organizing and lifestyle consultant Patty Morrissey will speak about a whole host of topics related to organizing, goal setting and prioritizing. Ms. Morrissey will build upon concepts discussed at an earlier workshop but this interactive session will also be useful for those who are new to the topic. Please join us for this program to help you start the New Year off well. Please register at 631-749-0042 for this program which is free to the public.
Visit Mashomack Preserve on Saturday, Feb. 22, from 1 to 4 p.m. for Mashomack Point: A Tour of the Katharine Ordway Wildlife Refuge. Dedicated to a visionary and generous nature lover, Mashomack Point is opened for a guided walk just once a year. Well explore this areas unique woodlands, kettles, and fields, culminating with a breathtaking view of Northwest Harbor. Dress warmly.
Sylvester Manor presents Narratives in the Making: Unearthing the Stories Within Us, its sixth annual black history month celebration on Sunday, Feb. 23, from 2 to 4 p.m. at Bay Street Theater, 1 Bay St., Sag Harbor. Historical archaeologist Dr. Christopher Matthews and Cordell Reaves, historic preservation program analyst from NYS Office of Parks, will speak at the event which features panelists, a visual presentation and reception. Admission: $15 in advance; $20 at the door. Tickets available at sylvestermanor.org, 631-749-0626.
Shelter Island Library presents a screening of Downton Abbey (PG) on Thursday, Feb. 27, at 12:30 p.m.
The Shelter Island Library hosts a discussion group with philosophy professor Wendy Turgeon called Great Works of Philosophy on Friday, Feb. 28, at 12:30 p.m. Register: 631-749-0042.
Learn Spanish and English during Intercambio with Teri Piccozzi at the Shelter Island Library on Friday, Feb. 28, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Engage in conversations in both languages. Informal, not a class. Featuring light refreshments. Free.
Visit Mashomack Preserve on Saturday, Feb. 29, from 1 to 2:30 p.m. for a truck tour and short hike to discover the traces of over 200 years of Nicoll family history in the meadows. Visit the Nicoll family cemetery, find the foundations of buildings in Miss Annie Nicolls Big House and learn about the familys lingering impacts on Mashomacks land today.
The Mashomack Preserve birding club will gather at the Mashomack Manor House on Saturday, March 7, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Never gone birding? No problem. This is a casual meet-up open to anyone interested in learning more about local species. Coffee will be provided.
Sylvester Manor presents The Fretless playing two house concerts on Saturday, March 14, at 6 and 8 p.m. Hailing from Canada, The Fretless will jam in the historic Manor House music room. Winners of the 2017 Juno Award for Instrumental Album of the Year, The Fretless is a fiddle foursome playing an essential part in the emerging movement mainstreaming traditional Celtic folk music, just in time for St. Patricks Day. Admission: advance, $30; day of the show, $35.
The Shelter Island History Center is hosting a weaving workshop with textile artist Helena Hernmarck for children ages 7 to 12 on Saturday, April 4, at 11 a.m.
In her weaving practice, Ms. Hernmarck constantly works to see beyond the colors she thinks she sees in a design to get to the colors she actually sees. She then interprets these colors using skeins of wool in her wool wall, combining the strands into colorful bundles, and then weaving them into her tapestries.
In this workshop, participants will do the real thing in reverse. They will interpret the colors in a wool skein onto paper using a variety of artists tools including crayons and watercolors. In the process, they will get to know, though touch and sight, the special qualities of the wool Helena uses in her tapestries, and learn to see the intricacies of color. Fee: $25. Space is limited and online registration will be available until Wednesday, March 25 at shelterislandhistorical.org/hernmarckkidsworkshop.
After March 25 call the office at 631-749-0025 to check availability.
The Manhattan Film Institute returns with free films at the Greenport Theatre.
6:30 p.m.: The Goonies (PG)
7 p.m.: Philadelphia (PG-13)
6:30 p.m.: Spirited Away (PG)
7 p.m.: Breaking Away (PG-13)
6:30 p.m.: The Lion King (PG)
7 p.m.: Juno (PG-13)
6:30 p.m.: March of the Penguins (G)
7 p.m.: Do the Right Thing (R)
6:30 p.m.: Fantastic Mr. Fox (PG)
7 p.m.: Some Like it Hot (PG)
6:30 p.m.: Moana (PG)
7 p.m.: Jerry Maguire (R)
6:30 p.m.: Toy Story (G)
7 p.m.: Double Indemnity (NR)
See the original post here:
- Fears of Coronavirus Catastrophe at Rikers Jail - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Ahead of the Curve? - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19: What's closed on Marco Island? - Marco News - March 31st, 2020
- During the coronavirus outbreak, a tale of two Rhode Islands - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- A Group of Islands in Northern Scotland Have Too Much Clean Energy, so They Are Producing Hydrogen Power - Interesting Engineering - March 31st, 2020
- Civil Defense Announces 11th COVID-19 Case on Big Island - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- In the time of coronavirus, Vancouver Islands gardeners grow resilient - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020
- All schools ordered to close in Solomon Islands - RNZ - March 31st, 2020
- Where To Get Hundreds Of Island Tunes For Animal Crossing: New Horizons, From Pop Songs To Theme Songs - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- For isolation, poetry is welcome relief: Island curators offer sites to browse - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - March 31st, 2020
- Report: Staten Island man charged in N.J. crash that killed 3 - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- 42 test positive for COVID-19 at Whidbey Island nursing home - The Daily Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Love Islands Paige Turley teaches Finn Tapp more Scottish lingo as they snuggle up in bed - The Sun - March 31st, 2020
- On Maine island, several people with guns allegedly cut down tree to block driveway and force quarantine - Boston.com - March 31st, 2020
- Painting a picture of an Island in crisis - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 31st, 2020
- What Will Coronavirus Crisis Mean for Mackinac Island Businesses, Tourism? - 9&10 News - March 31st, 2020
- The state of supermarkets on Staten Island: Grocers race to replenish supplies - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- Love Island's Dr Alex George lifts the lid on having sex during the coronavirus - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- Staten Island Councilman With Multiple Speeding Tickets Explains Why Speed Cameras Are Bad - Gothamist - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island community board meetings this week - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Century 21 Department Store to open on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island St. Patricks Parade 2020: What you need to know about street closures - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- How do you run cattle and sheep in a swamp? This farm has done it for five generations - ABC News - February 29th, 2020
- The UnXplained season 2 premiere: Searching for buried treasure on Oak Island - AL.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island's Best Dressed: Hearts of Hope Gala and more - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Harvey Weinstein Is in for a Rude Awakening on Rikers Island - The Daily Beast - February 29th, 2020
- Rea blasts Sykes over Phillip Island contact - Motorsport.com, Edition: Global - February 29th, 2020
- Overturned truck spills fuel on Staten Island Expressway to N.J. - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Rikers Island, Harvey Weinstein's new home, is a byword for prison brutality - The Guardian - February 29th, 2020
- Three honored Thursday for outstanding contributions to the Staten Island community - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- CHSAA boys basketball: 7 players named to Staten Islands all-division team - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- 5000 Year-Old Anatolian Sword Discovered On Venetian Island - Ancient Origins - February 29th, 2020
- Letter of Recommendation: 'Treasure Island' - The New York Times - February 29th, 2020
- Fever of Cownose rays spotted along coast of Sanibel Island - Wink News - February 29th, 2020
- NYPD: 14-year-old hit in the head during altercation at the Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Fantasy Island Clips Tell You the Rules of That Wild Island - /FILM - February 13th, 2020
- Is Love Island scripted - are contestants told what to say? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Drive-by shooting on Hilton Head Island has neighbor concerned, angry - WSAV-TV - February 13th, 2020
- Two Staten Island post offices open for passport processing on Presidents Day - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Synod says yes to Channel Islands transfer THE transfer of parishes in the Channel Islands from - Church Times - February 13th, 2020
- Deal Island Families Weigh In On the County's Next Renovation Project - WBOC TV 16 - February 13th, 2020
- Need a winter hike? Try White Rock Bay to Elephant Head Overlook at Antelope Island - KSL.com - February 13th, 2020
- Meet Pancakes, the newborn sloth at the Staten Island Zoo - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Tribal claim adds new twist to Long Island bridge flap - Boston Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Local educators last full day on Parris Island - WNKY EXCLUSIVE - wnky.com - February 13th, 2020
- Rock Island police looking for suspect vehicle in hit-and-run crash - KWQC-TV6 - February 13th, 2020
- Brothers Arrested on Drug, Firearm Charges - Big Island Now - February 13th, 2020
- New Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce events planned for 2020 - Port City Daily - February 13th, 2020
- White Island volcano survivor out of coma and told of deaths of husband and daughter - The Guardian - February 13th, 2020
- Dave Pasternack Brings Italian Restaurant and Steakhouse to Troubled Staten Island Waterfront Development - Eater NY - February 13th, 2020
- Montauk Fishing Crew Overboard Off Fire Island - East Hampton Star - February 12th, 2020
- Grand Island moves forward with six-year road construction project plan - KSNB Local 4 - February 12th, 2020
- The Conventional Wisdom Still Stands: America Can Deal with China's Artificial Island Bases - War on the Rocks - February 12th, 2020
- ABC Act breaks down barriers to mental health care on-Island - Martha's Vineyard Times - February 12th, 2020
- Staten Island mornings: Todt Hill - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- Former Little Bay Islands Resident says Water Not Shut off in Community - VOCM - February 12th, 2020
- Poll: Who is Staten Islands best HS girls hoopster this season? - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- What Its Like to Be Quarantined on an Island Over Coronavirus Fears - SBS News - February 12th, 2020
- Hicks column: Would another layer of government on Johns Island stop growth? - Charleston Post Courier - February 12th, 2020
- Laughlintown family explores island life on 'Beachfront Bargain Hunt' - TribLIVE - February 12th, 2020
- Local News Padre Island residents satisfied after meeting with CCPD Ashley Portillo 8:51 PM, Feb - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 5th, 2020
- Episode 969: The Island No One Owns : Planet Money - NPR - February 5th, 2020
- Yes, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is limited to one island per console - GamesRadar - February 5th, 2020
- Minotaurs Island - The New York Times - February 5th, 2020
- Individuals sought for questioning in connection with theft of purse at Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Public input will drive Grand Island transportation infrastructure plans - Grand Island Independent - February 5th, 2020
- Have you seen foxes on Staten Island? Youre not alone! - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- As SC island homes fall into ocean, owners behind them wonder if they're next - Charleston Post Courier - February 5th, 2020
- City finds no evidence of coyote population on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Babies and children tear gassed during refugee protest on Greek island of Lesbos - Telegraph.co.uk - February 5th, 2020
- Man sails across the Pacific and crashes into Big Island rocky shoreline - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - February 5th, 2020
- Piers Morgan brands Love Island stars brain-dead after hilarious impression of Ched chatting up Jess - The Sun - February 5th, 2020
- Unassuming Canouan Island Is the Caribbean's Next Billionaire Playground - Cond Nast Traveler - February 5th, 2020
- Balboa Island's costly wooden benches are on their way out - Los Angeles Times - February 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island Oyster Roast in Pictures: A Chilly but Festive Shell-ebration - Island Free Press - February 5th, 2020
- Advocates concerned about rise of private assisted living beds on Vancouver Island - Nanaimo News NOW - February 5th, 2020
- Paradise Island apartment complex where fire destroyed building failed fire safety inspection in 2016 - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 4th, 2020
- 5 Indonesian Islands Black Women Should Visit That Are Not Bali - Essence - February 4th, 2020
- Kings Island's Orion giga coaster track is complete. Here's what it took to build it. - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2020
- San Jose Island barges heading back into the water - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 4th, 2020