Its easy to see why longtime Johns Island residents are frustrated.
Just drive out there and take a look ... but allot a couple of hours for the commute.
There are new subdivisions sprouting up every year and maddening rush-hour traffic every day. Now, they even have a gathering place an uber-urban collection of apartments, restaurants and retail businesses right there on Maybank Highway.
For some folks, its all just a little too James Island. This was predictably unavoidable given geography, population influx and property rights. People attempting to flee the citys rising home prices were bound to look for the nearest undeveloped spot, and some landowners saw dollar signs.
Old-timers fear the once-rural haven is vanishing and will disappear completely if Interstate 526 is extended onto the island. But forming another town to fight growth, as some residents are contemplating, may not be the answer.
In fact, it could have the exact opposite effect.
Right now, most of the growth on Johns Island crops up on land within the municipal borders of Charleston. A new town could do nothing about that. But that growth also is, not coincidentally, within the Urban Growth Boundary, beyond which the city and Charleston County have agreed they will not allow intense development.
Or, in most cases, even sewer lines the great enabler of development.
Nearly 79 percent of Johns Island or 60 of its 76 square miles is outside that boundary, which means it is already protected about as much as it legally can be. Most of that land is zoned for rural development that rarely allows more than one house per acre.
That is where a new town would form.
Thomas Legare, the islands unofficial mayor and one of the proponents of a local town, is certainly not looking for more density or development out that way. In fact, hed fight it pretty fiercely.
But hes only one person, and unless the new town government agreed to sign onto the Urban Growth Boundary, it wouldnt be forced to abide by those parameters.
Which means future elected officials could allow for any manner of sins against the remaining rural parts of the island. And make no mistake, some landowners would lobby for those rights there is too much money to be made.
It would be nearly impossible for a new town to make development more prohibitive than it is now. That would require down-zoning peoples property, and thats an expensive proposition that would involve years of court battles. The forest and agricultural land of currently unincorporated Johns Island wouldnt generate enough in taxes to fund such a crusade.
Of course, that assumes any municipality formed on Johns Island would be a real government and not a paper town like James Island, which exists only to block the city of Charleston from annexing more land there.
Johns Island would have to do things differently if it wants expanded police protection and flood mitigation. And more than half of residents would have to approve of a new town. Thats not a given, as Johns Island residents like everyone else are pretty divided. Believe it or not, some of them actually want 526. So this isnt something that happens overnight. James Island fought Charleston for 30 years to create its, ahem, minimalist town and finally won only because local legislators changed state law to help it do it.
The city might not fight a Johns Island incorporation, but those lawmakers probably would. They suspect this is a ploy to block the aforementioned 526, and they arent about to let that happen.
And the county, home to 18 municipalities already, is not keen to subsidize a 19th. Most of them already privately grumble about supporting the town of James Island.
Johns Islanders wisely retained local attorney Trent Kernodle, the man who helped James Island incorporate, to develop their plan. He told reporter Mikaela Porter there are a lot of questions to answer before this could happen.
Hes absolutely right. But the first question Johns Islanders have to ask themselves is this: Will another layer of government actually slow growth, or just give them a larger platform to vent their growing frustration?
Continue reading here:
- Fears of Coronavirus Catastrophe at Rikers Jail - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Ahead of the Curve? - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19: What's closed on Marco Island? - Marco News - March 31st, 2020
- During the coronavirus outbreak, a tale of two Rhode Islands - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- A Group of Islands in Northern Scotland Have Too Much Clean Energy, so They Are Producing Hydrogen Power - Interesting Engineering - March 31st, 2020
- Civil Defense Announces 11th COVID-19 Case on Big Island - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- In the time of coronavirus, Vancouver Islands gardeners grow resilient - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020
- All schools ordered to close in Solomon Islands - RNZ - March 31st, 2020
- Where To Get Hundreds Of Island Tunes For Animal Crossing: New Horizons, From Pop Songs To Theme Songs - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- For isolation, poetry is welcome relief: Island curators offer sites to browse - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - March 31st, 2020
- Report: Staten Island man charged in N.J. crash that killed 3 - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- 42 test positive for COVID-19 at Whidbey Island nursing home - The Daily Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Love Islands Paige Turley teaches Finn Tapp more Scottish lingo as they snuggle up in bed - The Sun - March 31st, 2020
- On Maine island, several people with guns allegedly cut down tree to block driveway and force quarantine - Boston.com - March 31st, 2020
- Painting a picture of an Island in crisis - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 31st, 2020
- What Will Coronavirus Crisis Mean for Mackinac Island Businesses, Tourism? - 9&10 News - March 31st, 2020
- The state of supermarkets on Staten Island: Grocers race to replenish supplies - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- Love Island's Dr Alex George lifts the lid on having sex during the coronavirus - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- Staten Island Councilman With Multiple Speeding Tickets Explains Why Speed Cameras Are Bad - Gothamist - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island community board meetings this week - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Century 21 Department Store to open on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island St. Patricks Parade 2020: What you need to know about street closures - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- How do you run cattle and sheep in a swamp? This farm has done it for five generations - ABC News - February 29th, 2020
- The UnXplained season 2 premiere: Searching for buried treasure on Oak Island - AL.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island's Best Dressed: Hearts of Hope Gala and more - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Harvey Weinstein Is in for a Rude Awakening on Rikers Island - The Daily Beast - February 29th, 2020
- Rea blasts Sykes over Phillip Island contact - Motorsport.com, Edition: Global - February 29th, 2020
- Overturned truck spills fuel on Staten Island Expressway to N.J. - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Rikers Island, Harvey Weinstein's new home, is a byword for prison brutality - The Guardian - February 29th, 2020
- Three honored Thursday for outstanding contributions to the Staten Island community - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- CHSAA boys basketball: 7 players named to Staten Islands all-division team - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- 5000 Year-Old Anatolian Sword Discovered On Venetian Island - Ancient Origins - February 29th, 2020
- Letter of Recommendation: 'Treasure Island' - The New York Times - February 29th, 2020
- Fever of Cownose rays spotted along coast of Sanibel Island - Wink News - February 29th, 2020
- NYPD: 14-year-old hit in the head during altercation at the Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Fantasy Island Clips Tell You the Rules of That Wild Island - /FILM - February 13th, 2020
- Is Love Island scripted - are contestants told what to say? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Drive-by shooting on Hilton Head Island has neighbor concerned, angry - WSAV-TV - February 13th, 2020
- Two Staten Island post offices open for passport processing on Presidents Day - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Synod says yes to Channel Islands transfer THE transfer of parishes in the Channel Islands from - Church Times - February 13th, 2020
- Deal Island Families Weigh In On the County's Next Renovation Project - WBOC TV 16 - February 13th, 2020
- Need a winter hike? Try White Rock Bay to Elephant Head Overlook at Antelope Island - KSL.com - February 13th, 2020
- Meet Pancakes, the newborn sloth at the Staten Island Zoo - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Tribal claim adds new twist to Long Island bridge flap - Boston Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Local educators last full day on Parris Island - WNKY EXCLUSIVE - wnky.com - February 13th, 2020
- Rock Island police looking for suspect vehicle in hit-and-run crash - KWQC-TV6 - February 13th, 2020
- Brothers Arrested on Drug, Firearm Charges - Big Island Now - February 13th, 2020
- New Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce events planned for 2020 - Port City Daily - February 13th, 2020
- White Island volcano survivor out of coma and told of deaths of husband and daughter - The Guardian - February 13th, 2020
- Dave Pasternack Brings Italian Restaurant and Steakhouse to Troubled Staten Island Waterfront Development - Eater NY - February 13th, 2020
- Montauk Fishing Crew Overboard Off Fire Island - East Hampton Star - February 12th, 2020
- Grand Island moves forward with six-year road construction project plan - KSNB Local 4 - February 12th, 2020
- The Conventional Wisdom Still Stands: America Can Deal with China's Artificial Island Bases - War on the Rocks - February 12th, 2020
- ABC Act breaks down barriers to mental health care on-Island - Martha's Vineyard Times - February 12th, 2020
- Staten Island mornings: Todt Hill - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- Former Little Bay Islands Resident says Water Not Shut off in Community - VOCM - February 12th, 2020
- Poll: Who is Staten Islands best HS girls hoopster this season? - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- What Its Like to Be Quarantined on an Island Over Coronavirus Fears - SBS News - February 12th, 2020
- What's happening on Shelter Island the week of Feb. 13 - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - February 12th, 2020
- Laughlintown family explores island life on 'Beachfront Bargain Hunt' - TribLIVE - February 12th, 2020
- Local News Padre Island residents satisfied after meeting with CCPD Ashley Portillo 8:51 PM, Feb - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 5th, 2020
- Episode 969: The Island No One Owns : Planet Money - NPR - February 5th, 2020
- Yes, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is limited to one island per console - GamesRadar - February 5th, 2020
- Minotaurs Island - The New York Times - February 5th, 2020
- Individuals sought for questioning in connection with theft of purse at Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Public input will drive Grand Island transportation infrastructure plans - Grand Island Independent - February 5th, 2020
- Have you seen foxes on Staten Island? Youre not alone! - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- As SC island homes fall into ocean, owners behind them wonder if they're next - Charleston Post Courier - February 5th, 2020
- City finds no evidence of coyote population on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Babies and children tear gassed during refugee protest on Greek island of Lesbos - Telegraph.co.uk - February 5th, 2020
- Man sails across the Pacific and crashes into Big Island rocky shoreline - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - February 5th, 2020
- Piers Morgan brands Love Island stars brain-dead after hilarious impression of Ched chatting up Jess - The Sun - February 5th, 2020
- Unassuming Canouan Island Is the Caribbean's Next Billionaire Playground - Cond Nast Traveler - February 5th, 2020
- Balboa Island's costly wooden benches are on their way out - Los Angeles Times - February 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island Oyster Roast in Pictures: A Chilly but Festive Shell-ebration - Island Free Press - February 5th, 2020
- Advocates concerned about rise of private assisted living beds on Vancouver Island - Nanaimo News NOW - February 5th, 2020
- Paradise Island apartment complex where fire destroyed building failed fire safety inspection in 2016 - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 4th, 2020
- 5 Indonesian Islands Black Women Should Visit That Are Not Bali - Essence - February 4th, 2020
- Kings Island's Orion giga coaster track is complete. Here's what it took to build it. - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2020
- San Jose Island barges heading back into the water - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 4th, 2020