Poetry, these days especially, can offersolace, peace, and a meditation that takes us away from the concerns andchallenges of life.
Bliss Morehead, founder and curator of theShelter Island Poetry Project, now in its 12th year, shared some suggestions onpoems and sources to browse. Working closely with Jocelyn Ozolins, thereference librarian (the Shelter Island Library is currently closed), Ms.Morehead had been developing plans for a poetry reading at the library in April which is National Poetry Month. Since the reading is now cancelled, they haveshared some of their favorite sites for poems, in hopes they will be helpful toour readers. There are also many selections available at the National Poetry Monthsite.
I am currently re-reading The Wild Braid,by Stanley Kunitz, Ms. Morehead said. If you dont love Kunitz now, you willafter your wanderings.
She described other Kunitz poems, includingThe Testing Tree, Touch Me and Halleys Comet as poetic bouquetsinspired by the poets work in his Provincetown garden.
Ms. Ozolins suggested that readers visit a poetrywebsite, brainpickings.org, created by Maria Popova, a Bulgarian-born writernow living in Brooklyn. The site is currently featuring masterpieces ofperspective, from poets including Jane Hirshfield, Marie Howe, Mary Oliver,Barbara Ras and others.
One of them, Mary Oliver, evokes a place likeShelter Island:
When I am Among the Trees
By Mary Oliver
When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
I would almost say that they save me, anddaily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, Stay awhile.
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, Its simple, they say,
and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to befilled
with light, and to shine.
Ms. Morehead said there is a full selectionof shelter poems to be found at the poets.org website.
Found there, this next poem speaks to the place we are all struggling to find within ourselves in trying times:
Hope is the Thing With Feathers
By Emily Dickinson
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
Ive heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
This famous poem celebrates a beloved island, where the writer finds peace:
The Lake Isle of Innisfree
By William Butler Yeats
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay andwattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive forthe honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
And I shall have some peace there, for peacecomes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning towhere the cricket sings;
There midnights all a glimmer, and noon apurple glow,
And evening full of the linnets wings.
I will arise and go now, for always night andday
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds bythe shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on thepavements grey,
I hear it in the deep hearts core.
And finally, a couple of lines from W.H. Auden, for those who are working from home or in self-quarantine:
In the prison of his days
Teach the free man how to praise.
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Reveling in the Enigmatic Beauty of Easter Island - The New York Times - May 11th, 2020
- Help for parents and teachers; author gives tips - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - May 11th, 2020
- NYC's Coney Island Beach in Cyclone of Confusion for Summer - THE CITY - May 11th, 2020
- Danny Dyer says Love Island is a "pile of s**t" and leaves The Ranganation viewers - digitalspy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Island Luck CEO: No logic or rational in govt. decision making - EyeWitness News - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island Zoo to host virtual meet and greet with exotic animals: How to attend - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Artists campaign against Bristol Spike Island eviction of Howard Silverman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Woman took son to Greek island to 'protect him from COVID-19' - Sky News - May 1st, 2020
- TSB investigation into Island Queen III incident issues three concerns - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 1st, 2020
- This Tech Conference Is Being Held on an Animal Crossing Island - VICE - May 1st, 2020
- Island COVID-19 confirmed cases rise to 19 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- VIRTUAL TOUR Island Farm: Going back in time to coastal farm life in the 1800s | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - May 1st, 2020
- Car thieves flocking to Staten Island during pandemic, many of them repeat offenders - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Coney Island Hospital Treated To Record-Breaking Meal Donation For Staff - BKLYNER - May 1st, 2020
- Analysis: Staten Island has the highest rate of people tested in NYC for COVID-19 - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- John Grisham Returns to Camino Island, This Time in Hurricane Season - The New York Times - May 1st, 2020
- Naples, Marco Island beaches to reopen Thursday - Wink News - May 1st, 2020
- New confirmed case brings Island total to 18 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- Grand Island's mayor wants to know how the feds will help, says city 'has paid a price' - Omaha World-Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pete Davidson & Judd Apatow Movie King of Staten Island Skips Theatrical, Hits VOD This Summer - Deadline - May 1st, 2020
- ITV considers filming Love Island in Cornwall or cancelling series - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Elderly fisherman rescued from Niagara River near Grand Island - Niagara Gazette - May 1st, 2020
- Bali is worlds most Instagrammed island - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island coronavirus hospitalizations hold steady; death toll increases by 23 - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Small Island crews return to work - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island Sports Hall of Fame will once again honor 4 at annual golf outing - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- South Padre Island reopens but some locals think its too soon - KXAN.com - April 28th, 2020
- Grand Island-area residents urged to avoid church services; Health Department worker tests positive - Omaha World-Herald - April 28th, 2020
- New York City's Hart Island: An overlooked final resting place - CBS News - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 testing rolls out on island - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - April 28th, 2020
- Increased halal, kosher options offered at Staten Island meal sites - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Greg Hardy ready to live on Fight Island, knockout all 15 heavyweights en route to UFC title - MMA Mania - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Multiple large balconies and terraces, $2.9M - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Lone Residents of Little Bay Islands Share Tips for Living in Times of Isolation - VOCM - April 28th, 2020
- On Fishers Island, protocols in place to limit spread of virus - Suffolk Times - April 28th, 2020
- Running for her hometown; Alex Graham completes marathon on the Island - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - April 28th, 2020
- How Staten Island nursing homes stepped up to face hospital coronavirus overflow - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Grizzly bear just relocated from Vancouver Island shot dead - Nanaimo News Bulletin - April 28th, 2020
- Fears of Coronavirus Catastrophe at Rikers Jail - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Ahead of the Curve? - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19: What's closed on Marco Island? - Marco News - March 31st, 2020
- During the coronavirus outbreak, a tale of two Rhode Islands - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- A Group of Islands in Northern Scotland Have Too Much Clean Energy, so They Are Producing Hydrogen Power - Interesting Engineering - March 31st, 2020
- Civil Defense Announces 11th COVID-19 Case on Big Island - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- In the time of coronavirus, Vancouver Islands gardeners grow resilient - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020
- All schools ordered to close in Solomon Islands - RNZ - March 31st, 2020
- Where To Get Hundreds Of Island Tunes For Animal Crossing: New Horizons, From Pop Songs To Theme Songs - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- Report: Staten Island man charged in N.J. crash that killed 3 - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- 42 test positive for COVID-19 at Whidbey Island nursing home - The Daily Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Love Islands Paige Turley teaches Finn Tapp more Scottish lingo as they snuggle up in bed - The Sun - March 31st, 2020
- On Maine island, several people with guns allegedly cut down tree to block driveway and force quarantine - Boston.com - March 31st, 2020
- Painting a picture of an Island in crisis - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 31st, 2020
- What Will Coronavirus Crisis Mean for Mackinac Island Businesses, Tourism? - 9&10 News - March 31st, 2020
- The state of supermarkets on Staten Island: Grocers race to replenish supplies - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- Love Island's Dr Alex George lifts the lid on having sex during the coronavirus - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- Staten Island Councilman With Multiple Speeding Tickets Explains Why Speed Cameras Are Bad - Gothamist - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island community board meetings this week - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Century 21 Department Store to open on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020