Europes media greeted the bright new post-Brexit dawn of Britains first day as an ex-member of the European Union with some sadness, a healthy dose of scepticism, and a plea to the the bloc to get its act together.
The end, wrote Frances Libration. Britain has left the EU and theres not much else to say. After 47 years at the heart of a unique club of nations, after three years and seven months of drama, plot twists and chaos, it is out, retrenched on its island, alone.
The end was a bit of a damp squib, the paper said. Most people did nothing, seeking a normal Friday evening without too many questions about what comes next. Brexit and its consequences have only just begun. Tomorrow is another day, Brexited.
Le Monde said 31 January was the day nothing changed, and everything changed. The Parliament Square crowd vanished minutes after singing God Save the Queen, with no hanging around in keeping with a strange day when Britain celebrated a truly historic event, but only barely. Can one really celebrate a divorce?
It was as if everyone somehow sensed that the farewell formalities that moment when you find yourself on the pavement, at once relieved and saddened, before everyone heads their separate ways had to be kept as brief as possible.
In Germanys Sddeutsche Zeitung, Stefan Kornelius warned that no country was an island, not even Britain. Sovereignty is a popular term in an era crying out for order and security, he wrote. But it assumes you are the master of your destiny that you can ward off unreasonable demands from the outside world.
This was a nice idea in a world that has created huge dependencies, Kornelius said. The song is of an end to vassalage and humiliation, but Britain has no great ideas for the future so far, all we have seen been a narrow-minded denial of reality and a trivialisation of the problems.
Die Welt warned of the consequences of Brexit-fuelled delusions of grandeur, saying much would depend on whether British politics, after Brexit, can finally be honest about the countrys true size. It quoted the prophetic words of a government scientific adviser, Henry Tizard, in 1949.
We persist in regarding ourselves as a great power, capable of everything and only temporarily handicapped by economic difficulties, Tizard wrote, in a memo instantly filed away. We are not a great power and never will be again. We are a great nation, but if we continue to behave like a great power we shall soon cease to be a great nation.
Spains El Pas said Boris Johnson now faced a challenge of colossal dimensions: to recover the unity of a country divided between those who see Brexit as a liberation, and those who consider it a tragedy and a historical error.
He will also need to finally define Brexit, and in doing so risks, despite his large majority, reigniting another old war: that between free trade fans, who aspire to break completely with the EUs rules, and those who in the coming months will start to see the consequences of Brexit for farmers, fishermen and businesses.
In the Netherlands, Caroline de Gruyter warned that the EU needed to get moving. Until now, Brexit has been good for the EU, she wrote in NRC Handelsblad. Polls, she said, show public appreciation of the EU and the euro at their highest levels ever.
The 27 are united. That earns admiration from citizens. Europeans were shocked to see the UK sink into political chaos, and to hear talk of food and medicine shortages under a no-deal Brexit; they concluded it is better to stay together. You no longer hear populists like Marine Le Pen and Geert Wilders talk about Frexit or Nexit.
But it would be naive to assume things will stay that way, De Gruyter said. Just as the EU benefits from a disastrous Brexit, a successful Brexit can undermine the EU as the former Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi said the EU project must be given a new impetus. Brussels must start moving: ideas, dreams, soul. Its time.
Read this article:
- Fears of Coronavirus Catastrophe at Rikers Jail - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Ahead of the Curve? - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19: What's closed on Marco Island? - Marco News - March 31st, 2020
- During the coronavirus outbreak, a tale of two Rhode Islands - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- A Group of Islands in Northern Scotland Have Too Much Clean Energy, so They Are Producing Hydrogen Power - Interesting Engineering - March 31st, 2020
- Civil Defense Announces 11th COVID-19 Case on Big Island - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- In the time of coronavirus, Vancouver Islands gardeners grow resilient - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020
- All schools ordered to close in Solomon Islands - RNZ - March 31st, 2020
- Where To Get Hundreds Of Island Tunes For Animal Crossing: New Horizons, From Pop Songs To Theme Songs - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- For isolation, poetry is welcome relief: Island curators offer sites to browse - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - March 31st, 2020
- Report: Staten Island man charged in N.J. crash that killed 3 - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- 42 test positive for COVID-19 at Whidbey Island nursing home - The Daily Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Love Islands Paige Turley teaches Finn Tapp more Scottish lingo as they snuggle up in bed - The Sun - March 31st, 2020
- On Maine island, several people with guns allegedly cut down tree to block driveway and force quarantine - Boston.com - March 31st, 2020
- Painting a picture of an Island in crisis - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 31st, 2020
- What Will Coronavirus Crisis Mean for Mackinac Island Businesses, Tourism? - 9&10 News - March 31st, 2020
- The state of supermarkets on Staten Island: Grocers race to replenish supplies - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- Love Island's Dr Alex George lifts the lid on having sex during the coronavirus - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- Staten Island Councilman With Multiple Speeding Tickets Explains Why Speed Cameras Are Bad - Gothamist - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island community board meetings this week - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Century 21 Department Store to open on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island St. Patricks Parade 2020: What you need to know about street closures - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- How do you run cattle and sheep in a swamp? This farm has done it for five generations - ABC News - February 29th, 2020
- The UnXplained season 2 premiere: Searching for buried treasure on Oak Island - AL.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island's Best Dressed: Hearts of Hope Gala and more - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Harvey Weinstein Is in for a Rude Awakening on Rikers Island - The Daily Beast - February 29th, 2020
- Rea blasts Sykes over Phillip Island contact - Motorsport.com, Edition: Global - February 29th, 2020
- Overturned truck spills fuel on Staten Island Expressway to N.J. - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Rikers Island, Harvey Weinstein's new home, is a byword for prison brutality - The Guardian - February 29th, 2020
- Three honored Thursday for outstanding contributions to the Staten Island community - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- CHSAA boys basketball: 7 players named to Staten Islands all-division team - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- 5000 Year-Old Anatolian Sword Discovered On Venetian Island - Ancient Origins - February 29th, 2020
- Letter of Recommendation: 'Treasure Island' - The New York Times - February 29th, 2020
- Fever of Cownose rays spotted along coast of Sanibel Island - Wink News - February 29th, 2020
- NYPD: 14-year-old hit in the head during altercation at the Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Fantasy Island Clips Tell You the Rules of That Wild Island - /FILM - February 13th, 2020
- Is Love Island scripted - are contestants told what to say? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Drive-by shooting on Hilton Head Island has neighbor concerned, angry - WSAV-TV - February 13th, 2020
- Two Staten Island post offices open for passport processing on Presidents Day - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Synod says yes to Channel Islands transfer THE transfer of parishes in the Channel Islands from - Church Times - February 13th, 2020
- Deal Island Families Weigh In On the County's Next Renovation Project - WBOC TV 16 - February 13th, 2020
- Need a winter hike? Try White Rock Bay to Elephant Head Overlook at Antelope Island - KSL.com - February 13th, 2020
- Meet Pancakes, the newborn sloth at the Staten Island Zoo - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Tribal claim adds new twist to Long Island bridge flap - Boston Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Local educators last full day on Parris Island - WNKY EXCLUSIVE - wnky.com - February 13th, 2020
- Rock Island police looking for suspect vehicle in hit-and-run crash - KWQC-TV6 - February 13th, 2020
- Brothers Arrested on Drug, Firearm Charges - Big Island Now - February 13th, 2020
- New Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce events planned for 2020 - Port City Daily - February 13th, 2020
- White Island volcano survivor out of coma and told of deaths of husband and daughter - The Guardian - February 13th, 2020
- Dave Pasternack Brings Italian Restaurant and Steakhouse to Troubled Staten Island Waterfront Development - Eater NY - February 13th, 2020
- Montauk Fishing Crew Overboard Off Fire Island - East Hampton Star - February 12th, 2020
- Grand Island moves forward with six-year road construction project plan - KSNB Local 4 - February 12th, 2020
- The Conventional Wisdom Still Stands: America Can Deal with China's Artificial Island Bases - War on the Rocks - February 12th, 2020
- ABC Act breaks down barriers to mental health care on-Island - Martha's Vineyard Times - February 12th, 2020
- Staten Island mornings: Todt Hill - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- Former Little Bay Islands Resident says Water Not Shut off in Community - VOCM - February 12th, 2020
- Poll: Who is Staten Islands best HS girls hoopster this season? - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- What Its Like to Be Quarantined on an Island Over Coronavirus Fears - SBS News - February 12th, 2020
- What's happening on Shelter Island the week of Feb. 13 - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - February 12th, 2020
- Hicks column: Would another layer of government on Johns Island stop growth? - Charleston Post Courier - February 12th, 2020
- Laughlintown family explores island life on 'Beachfront Bargain Hunt' - TribLIVE - February 12th, 2020
- Local News Padre Island residents satisfied after meeting with CCPD Ashley Portillo 8:51 PM, Feb - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 5th, 2020
- Episode 969: The Island No One Owns : Planet Money - NPR - February 5th, 2020
- Yes, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is limited to one island per console - GamesRadar - February 5th, 2020
- Minotaurs Island - The New York Times - February 5th, 2020
- Individuals sought for questioning in connection with theft of purse at Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Public input will drive Grand Island transportation infrastructure plans - Grand Island Independent - February 5th, 2020
- Have you seen foxes on Staten Island? Youre not alone! - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- As SC island homes fall into ocean, owners behind them wonder if they're next - Charleston Post Courier - February 5th, 2020
- City finds no evidence of coyote population on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Babies and children tear gassed during refugee protest on Greek island of Lesbos - Telegraph.co.uk - February 5th, 2020
- Man sails across the Pacific and crashes into Big Island rocky shoreline - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - February 5th, 2020
- Piers Morgan brands Love Island stars brain-dead after hilarious impression of Ched chatting up Jess - The Sun - February 5th, 2020
- Unassuming Canouan Island Is the Caribbean's Next Billionaire Playground - Cond Nast Traveler - February 5th, 2020
- Balboa Island's costly wooden benches are on their way out - Los Angeles Times - February 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island Oyster Roast in Pictures: A Chilly but Festive Shell-ebration - Island Free Press - February 5th, 2020
- Advocates concerned about rise of private assisted living beds on Vancouver Island - Nanaimo News NOW - February 5th, 2020
- Paradise Island apartment complex where fire destroyed building failed fire safety inspection in 2016 - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 4th, 2020
- 5 Indonesian Islands Black Women Should Visit That Are Not Bali - Essence - February 4th, 2020
- Kings Island's Orion giga coaster track is complete. Here's what it took to build it. - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2020