A total of 42 residents and staff members at the Careage of Whidbey in Coupeville have tested positive for COVID-19, according to Island County Public Health.
The highly contagious virus spread quickly through the rehabilitation and skilled nursing facility despite prompt testing and isolation of residents who tested positive, Island County Public Health Director Keith Higman said.
I think they did the right thing early on, he said of the Careage staff, explaining that people living in such facilities are susceptible to contracting the coronavirus because they tend to have weakened immune systems.
Life Care Center in Kirkland and several other Seattle-area nursing homes have been hit hard by the virus and have been the focus of national media. At least 37 deaths were linked to the coronavirus outbreak at Life Care Center alone.
One death in Island County was caused by COVID-19 and a total of 80 positive tests have been reported to the county.
Sean ONeill, executive director of Careage, said the facilitys 49 residents and 100 staff members have all been tested and results are back on all but a few.
Immediate testing identified people who had the virus and didnt yet have symptoms, allowing the facility to quarantine them before they passed it on.
Because we tested so quickly, we know the scope of the situation, he said, and have been able to isolate people early on.
ONeill said Careage officials have maintained close contact with residents families, WhidbeyHealth Medical Center, Island County Public Health and other agencies.
ONeill said Careage offers rehabilitation services for people who are recovering from surgery, an infection or a similar issue. In addition, the facility offers long-term nursing care for residents with special medical needs.
Careage also runs a childcare facility. ONeill said the childcare was closed March 13, and no children displayed symptoms.
He said parents were informed immediately after the positive tests from the nursing home were received.
Higman said Careage contacted Public Health after learning of the positive tests, which were just two to begin with.
The source of the virus has not been identified.
Higman said it may have come from a visitor, a staff member or a resident who underwent a medical procedure at another facility.
Higman explained that Public Healths role during an outbreak is to identify what it might mean for the rest of the population.
It often involves detective work.
Higmans staff is busy identifying and notifying people who may have come in contact with those who had contact with Careage, he said.
One of the first steps was to obtain visitor and travel logs. Public Health and Careage recently agreed to a memorandum of understanding that authorizes access to records.
ONeill said residents who tested positive are in quarantine and are being cared for by staff.
Were just taking it one day at a time, he said.
This story originally appeared in the Whidbey News-Times, a sister publication to The Herald.
Follow this link:
- Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat - Irish Examiner - June 1st, 2020
- Mackinac Island eases into summer season with soft, soft opening - MLive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Watch Rivers Cuomo cover Jesus Christ Superstar song for Islands In The Zoom sessions - NME - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds gather at Brown's Island: 'We are going to protest peacefully' - wtvr.com - June 1st, 2020
- New COVID-19 case with ties to San Juan Island under investigation - SanJuanIslander.com - June 1st, 2020
- Meet kumu the whitesaddle goatfish - Thegardenisland.com - June 1st, 2020
- Cruise the Greek Islands with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - The New Yorker - June 1st, 2020
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on Big Island - West Hawaii Today - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 31, 2020 - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island ShopRite melee ignites feuding factions on masks in pandemic - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Allow Staten Island students to have outdoor graduation ceremonies, city official says - SILive.com - June 1st, 2020
- The island that can save America | TheHill - The Hill - June 1st, 2020
- Long wait to reopen is over for Vancouver Island gyms Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Reveling in the Enigmatic Beauty of Easter Island - The New York Times - May 11th, 2020
- Help for parents and teachers; author gives tips - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - May 11th, 2020
- NYC's Coney Island Beach in Cyclone of Confusion for Summer - THE CITY - May 11th, 2020
- Danny Dyer says Love Island is a "pile of s**t" and leaves The Ranganation viewers - digitalspy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Island Luck CEO: No logic or rational in govt. decision making - EyeWitness News - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island Zoo to host virtual meet and greet with exotic animals: How to attend - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Artists campaign against Bristol Spike Island eviction of Howard Silverman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Woman took son to Greek island to 'protect him from COVID-19' - Sky News - May 1st, 2020
- TSB investigation into Island Queen III incident issues three concerns - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 1st, 2020
- This Tech Conference Is Being Held on an Animal Crossing Island - VICE - May 1st, 2020
- Island COVID-19 confirmed cases rise to 19 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- VIRTUAL TOUR Island Farm: Going back in time to coastal farm life in the 1800s | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - May 1st, 2020
- Car thieves flocking to Staten Island during pandemic, many of them repeat offenders - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Coney Island Hospital Treated To Record-Breaking Meal Donation For Staff - BKLYNER - May 1st, 2020
- Analysis: Staten Island has the highest rate of people tested in NYC for COVID-19 - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- John Grisham Returns to Camino Island, This Time in Hurricane Season - The New York Times - May 1st, 2020
- Naples, Marco Island beaches to reopen Thursday - Wink News - May 1st, 2020
- New confirmed case brings Island total to 18 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- Grand Island's mayor wants to know how the feds will help, says city 'has paid a price' - Omaha World-Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pete Davidson & Judd Apatow Movie King of Staten Island Skips Theatrical, Hits VOD This Summer - Deadline - May 1st, 2020
- ITV considers filming Love Island in Cornwall or cancelling series - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Elderly fisherman rescued from Niagara River near Grand Island - Niagara Gazette - May 1st, 2020
- Bali is worlds most Instagrammed island - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island coronavirus hospitalizations hold steady; death toll increases by 23 - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Small Island crews return to work - Martha's Vineyard Times - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island Sports Hall of Fame will once again honor 4 at annual golf outing - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- South Padre Island reopens but some locals think its too soon - KXAN.com - April 28th, 2020
- Grand Island-area residents urged to avoid church services; Health Department worker tests positive - Omaha World-Herald - April 28th, 2020
- New York City's Hart Island: An overlooked final resting place - CBS News - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 testing rolls out on island - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - April 28th, 2020
- Increased halal, kosher options offered at Staten Island meal sites - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Greg Hardy ready to live on Fight Island, knockout all 15 heavyweights en route to UFC title - MMA Mania - April 28th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Multiple large balconies and terraces, $2.9M - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Lone Residents of Little Bay Islands Share Tips for Living in Times of Isolation - VOCM - April 28th, 2020
- On Fishers Island, protocols in place to limit spread of virus - Suffolk Times - April 28th, 2020
- Running for her hometown; Alex Graham completes marathon on the Island - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - April 28th, 2020
- How Staten Island nursing homes stepped up to face hospital coronavirus overflow - SILive.com - April 28th, 2020
- Grizzly bear just relocated from Vancouver Island shot dead - Nanaimo News Bulletin - April 28th, 2020
- Fears of Coronavirus Catastrophe at Rikers Jail - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Ahead of the Curve? - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19: What's closed on Marco Island? - Marco News - March 31st, 2020
- During the coronavirus outbreak, a tale of two Rhode Islands - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- A Group of Islands in Northern Scotland Have Too Much Clean Energy, so They Are Producing Hydrogen Power - Interesting Engineering - March 31st, 2020
- Civil Defense Announces 11th COVID-19 Case on Big Island - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- In the time of coronavirus, Vancouver Islands gardeners grow resilient - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020