Erik and Melissa Jones were optimistic and grateful. After thinking theyd have to go through the long and expensive process of in vitro fertilization, their infertility problem was attributed to a seminal blockage in Eriks testicles, which could be cleared with a simple procedure that would be covered by insurance.
And if the issue was fixed, it could give them a chance to conceive naturally.
It was kind of a weight off because [the urologist] seemed really optimistic, Melissa said. We were really excited.
But after his outpatient procedure, Erik started experiencing severe abdominal pain. He later became constipated, and after two weeks, the pain was so intense that he wondered if he was about to die.
Egg retrievals, testicular surgeries and other infertility-related procedures are extremely safe, and deaths and near-deaths are exceedingly rare.
Thats why Melissa was in shock as Eriks health kept deteriorating. First, he was diagnosed with a perforated bowel caused by the surgery, which had allowed fecal matter to leak into his abdomen for weeks. The toxins caused an infection to set in. That triggered sepsis, which is when the body over-responds to a threat, putting organs at risk of failure.
Once Erik was stabilized, doctors performed surgery to reroute his intestine to a colostomy bag attached to the outside of his abdomen. The colostomy bag would collect his waste for a year to allow his large intestine to heal from the perforation.
All of Eriks complications weighed heavily on Melissa and filled her with immense guilt.
I just start bawling because Im thinking, okay my husband just did this procedure, mostly because I want to have children, Melissa recalled. And with everything hes already been through, now hes going to be in surgery that he may not come out of.
Erik did come out of his surgery, and after a year, his colostomy reversal surgery was a success.
Immediately after his surgery, it was difficult for the couple to imagine trying any other medical interventions to try to conceive. Still, after time passed, Erik consented to more treatment. This time it was IVF, and it was Melissa who had to deal with all the appointments and procedures.
After several unsuccessful cycles, they finally made the decision to stop trying.
The Isolating Pain Of Involuntary Childlessness
While experiencing infertility itself doesnt have long-term psychological consequences, involuntary childlessness does, said infertility sociologist Larry Greil of Alfred University.
The people who are distressed tend to be the people who wanted children but never had them, said Greil, explaining his 2003 study on the issue.
Whether it be through adoption, giving birth or some other means, many infertile people do end up having children. But while there is research on infertile women who end up giving birth (Greil estimates itswell below 50 percent), and research on infertile families who adopt children, there is no comprehensive estimate of how many infertile people become parents in the end.
Strange as it may seem, no one has actually come up with a conclusive answer to the question: What percentage of infertile couples actually end up with a child? Greil said. Media reports give the impression that everyone comes out with a baby, and that impression is false.
Erik and Melissa suspected that their story, which ended with the failure of infertility treatment, was more common than success stories. Yet they couldnt find any support from others who had gone through something similar. Instead, they encountered hostility from infertile people for deciding to stop treatment, and disbelief and a lack of support from some friends or family who wanted them to just keep trying, despite Eriks near death experience.
Even with what weve been through, theres still people who have said, Dont quit why are you quitting? Melissa said.
To create a support community for themselves and people like them, Erik and Melissa created a podcast called Living Childfree With Erik And Melissa, and are hoping that other people in similar situations will reach out about their own experiences.
Theres still sadness. We still feel like outcasts. We havent really figured out that great path, Erik said.
But for me, not to get too philosophical, but I like the idea of trying to figure it out, he continued. Maybe Melissa and I wont figure it out, but maybe somebody coming behind us will.
IVFML Becoming Family is produced and edited by Anna Almendrala, Simon Ganz, Nick Offenberg and Sara Patterson. Send us an email at IVFML@huffpost.com.
Here is the original post:
- Childfree and Childless The Difference - The Good Men Project - May 19th, 2020
- 10 Women Look Back On Living Childfree By Choice | SELF - April 26th, 2020
- The Very Sad Childfree Life : Strange Notions - April 26th, 2020
- This Is What No One Tells You About Being Child-Free In ... - April 26th, 2020
- How this working mum is coping without her village during the coronavirus pandemic - ABC News - April 26th, 2020
- I used to judge childfree women | Life and style | The ... - April 26th, 2020
- Childfree: Im not having children because I want to save the planet - Stylist Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Childfree - reddit - March 16th, 2020
- 5 Things 'Childfree' People Want You To Know | HuffPost Life - March 16th, 2020
- Good sleep hygiene is the new wellness goal. Try telling that to an eight-month-old baby - The Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- I'm Childfree, and I Think It's Time to Stop Asking Women If They're Having Kids - GoodHousekeeping.com - March 7th, 2020
- Are single childfree women the last of the hopeless romantics? - TheArticle - February 12th, 2020
- If I have no hope for the planet, why am I so determined to have this baby? - The Guardian - December 27th, 2019
- My Label and Me: I have 10 children, but motherhood doesn't define me - Metro.co.uk - December 13th, 2019
- Im childfree, not childless heres why that difference matters - Stylist Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- How babies change the dynamics of friendships - ABC News - October 16th, 2019
- Why you should be worried about teacher salaries in Michigan - Detroit Free Press - September 19th, 2019
- Why breast cancer was called 'Nun's disease" - Florida Today - September 19th, 2019
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association - May 27th, 2019
- Voluntary childlessness - Wikipedia - April 24th, 2019
- Welcome to The Childfree Life | The Childfree Life - April 24th, 2019
- The Childfree Life - Index page - April 24th, 2019
- Childfree Places from Restaurants to Events The Site ... - January 27th, 2019
- How Minimalism Relates to Being Childfree | By: Legally ... - January 27th, 2019
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook ... - January 27th, 2019
- Choosing to be Childfree to Live a More Sustainable Lifestyle - January 3rd, 2019
- The Childfree Life - Official Site - November 9th, 2018
- Childfree - Travel Companion - September 24th, 2018
- Home | Childfree Women UK & Ireland - July 12th, 2018
- Childless and Childfree Marriages and Divorce | Divorce Source - July 12th, 2018
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility ... - May 31st, 2018
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Being Childfree ... - May 26th, 2018
- Childfree or Childless: Does Terminology Really Matter? - May 4th, 2018
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook | Complete Without Kids - April 13th, 2018
- Parents secretly hate Snow Days : childfree - reddit.com - March 19th, 2018
- Efilism | Cool Childfree Guy | Page 2 - March 10th, 2018
- Childfree And Loving It! - February 23rd, 2018
- 9 Childfree Women Explain What Life Is Like Without Kids ... - August 25th, 2017
- The Childfree Life - August 22nd, 2017
- How Not To Be A Dick To Your Childfree Friends - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary bucking national trend of couples with fewer kids, census ... - Calgary Herald - August 3rd, 2017
- While some airlines and restaurants cater to kids, what's a parent to do when others don't? - National Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice | KWIT - KWIT - August 1st, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice - KWIT - July 26th, 2017
- Celebrating ChildFreedom on the Fourth of July - HuffPost - July 3rd, 2017
- Myths and Facts About Living Childfree - RESOLVE - July 1st, 2017
- As A Childfree Woman, Every Day Is Independence Day - HuffPost - July 1st, 2017
- Can Everyone On RHONY Stop Shaming Carole Radziwill For Not Having Children? - Refinery29 - June 30th, 2017
- Why am I expected to have children just because I'm a woman? - Irish Times - June 27th, 2017
- Vacation without Children - Childfree Getaways - TripSavvy - June 24th, 2017
- Why I Don't Want to Have Kids | POPSUGAR Love & Sex - POPSUGAR - June 22nd, 2017
- Why you should go on a child-free vacation - Femina - June 21st, 2017
- The 1 Simple Reason I Decided Not to Have Kids - POPSUGAR UK - June 21st, 2017
- What We Get Wrong About Women Who Don't Have Kids - Refinery29 - June 20th, 2017
- 'Strangers should mind their own business about my child-free status' - Independent.ie - June 8th, 2017
- Overlooking the childfree is a mistake - Spectator.co.uk (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- The Childfree, Outrage, and Where It Belongs - Huffington Post - April 8th, 2017
- Child-free and OK with it but still dealing with moral scolding and ... - Salon - March 7th, 2017
- Meet The Twenty-Something Childfree Women Fighting To Be Sterilised - Huffington Post UK - March 7th, 2017
- This May Explain Why So Many People Feel Outraged About Childfree Adults - Huffington Post - March 2nd, 2017
- I had a vasectomy and I have no regrets - Why a lot of people are opting for a child free lifestyle - SDE Entertainment News (satire) (press release)... - February 27th, 2017
- What time is Parenting for Idiots on Channel 4 tonight, who's on the show with Frankie Boyle and Sally Phillips and ... - The Sun - February 16th, 2017
- Only One in the World: Pioneering NotMom Summit to Connect Childless & Childfree Women - PR Newswire (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- Why No Kids - We're childfree and happy. You could be too! - February 4th, 2017
- Happily Childfree - Children's Health Health Care Blog - February 4th, 2017
- Mommyjacking The Childfree Life - STFU Parents - February 1st, 2017
- Jillian Michaels - Scary Mommy - December 31st, 2016
- The Childfree-by-Choice Pages - December 8th, 2016
- The Childfree Life Index page - December 8th, 2016