guest post by: Emily of Conservation Folks
Buying a house, having a successful career, and raising children are all part of the classic American dream. While it may sound idyllic, its not always an option in todays world. We currently have a growing population of more than 7.4 billion people and counting on a planet that can only sustain a maximum of 10 to 11 billion souls. How can living a childfree life contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle?
According to science, you dont have to live entirely childfree to have a sustainable lifestyle just have one fewer child.Its been calculated that having one fewer child could help to reduce overall carbon dioxide emissions by more than 58 tons per year. For comparison, getting rid of your car only reduces emissions by about 2.4 tons per year, and upgrading your light bulbs from incandescent to CFL or LED reduces your emissions by less than 1/10 of a ton.
The key here, in addition to reducing carbon emissions, is to help stabilize the population. While the planet could potentially support a population of around 11 billion, it will not be able to do so well. What is the ideal stable population? Expert opinions vary but many do agree that having fewer children is key. Ideally, the number of children per couple should be 2.1 or fewer. The best way to ensure our planet and resources are able to support the human race is to take steps toward stabilizing our population, but how?
Many modern families have already chosen to limit their family size to one or two children, but for every family that only has one or two kids, there is one that has chosen to shun contraceptive and have as many children as they can carry, i.e. the Duggar family of 19 Kids and Counting. Implementing childbearing laws legally limiting couples to 2 children has been tried before in China, specifically, though there are other areas that have implemented similar laws/policies. Unfortunately, in some areas, it has lead to a stagnating birth rate that hasnt produced enough children to take the place of adults and elderly workers who are reaching the age of retirement.
Having one less child or choosing to have only two children, is one way to be more sustainable. However, to have a large impact on the world, it will have to be implemented on a global scale.
Having a childfree life isnt just good for the environment it can be good for you as well. First, you will have more freedom. Ive always wanted to travel the world without children, I can pick up and go anytime my career and finances will allow. I dont have to worry about finding someone to watch the kids or go through the hassle of bringing them with me to a foreign country. While kids can definitely benefit from this kind of experience, there are tons of things that are simply out of reach if youre traveling with children in tow. Second, youll have more money. The average cost of raising a child from birth to age 18 is roughly $300,000. Break that down per year and it comes out to somewhere around $17,000. Think of all you could do each year with $17,000 extra.The possibilities are endless. Now, Im not saying that all these things arent possible after youve had children, but having extra money certainly makes them easier.
Finally, you also have the option to add children to your life in the future either biologically or by fostering or adopting. According to the Childrens Bureau, a division of the Department of Health and Human Services, there is an average of 500,000 children in the foster care system at any given time. Having fewer children or choosing to live childfree is a totally personal choice but it is one that can have many benefits.
More about Emily:Emily is a sustainability blogger who is passionate about living an eco-friendly lifestyle. You can check out more of her work on her blog, Conservation Folks.
How do you think being childfree helps the environment? Comment below!
Read this article:
- If I have no hope for the planet, why am I so determined to have this baby? - The Guardian - December 27th, 2019
- My Label and Me: I have 10 children, but motherhood doesn't define me - Metro.co.uk - December 13th, 2019
- Im childfree, not childless heres why that difference matters - Stylist Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- How babies change the dynamics of friendships - ABC News - October 16th, 2019
- Why you should be worried about teacher salaries in Michigan - Detroit Free Press - September 19th, 2019
- Why breast cancer was called 'Nun's disease" - Florida Today - September 19th, 2019
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association - May 27th, 2019
- Voluntary childlessness - Wikipedia - April 24th, 2019
- Welcome to The Childfree Life | The Childfree Life - April 24th, 2019
- The Childfree Life - Index page - April 24th, 2019
- Childfree - reddit - April 20th, 2019
- IVFML Season 2, Episode 9: Going From Childless To ... - April 1st, 2019
- Childfree Places from Restaurants to Events The Site ... - January 27th, 2019
- How Minimalism Relates to Being Childfree | By: Legally ... - January 27th, 2019
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook ... - January 27th, 2019
- The Childfree Life - Official Site - November 9th, 2018
- Childfree - Travel Companion - September 24th, 2018
- Home | Childfree Women UK & Ireland - July 12th, 2018
- Childless and Childfree Marriages and Divorce | Divorce Source - July 12th, 2018
- Living Childfree - RESOLVE: The National Infertility ... - May 31st, 2018
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Being Childfree ... - May 26th, 2018
- Childfree or Childless: Does Terminology Really Matter? - May 4th, 2018
- Complete Without Kids: a Childfree by Choice Handbook | Complete Without Kids - April 13th, 2018
- Parents secretly hate Snow Days : childfree - reddit.com - March 19th, 2018
- Efilism | Cool Childfree Guy | Page 2 - March 10th, 2018
- Childfree And Loving It! - February 23rd, 2018
- 9 Childfree Women Explain What Life Is Like Without Kids ... - August 25th, 2017
- The Childfree Life - August 22nd, 2017
- How Not To Be A Dick To Your Childfree Friends - August 11th, 2017
- Calgary bucking national trend of couples with fewer kids, census ... - Calgary Herald - August 3rd, 2017
- While some airlines and restaurants cater to kids, what's a parent to do when others don't? - National Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice | KWIT - KWIT - August 1st, 2017
- Ode: Divorced and dating again, childfree by choice - KWIT - July 26th, 2017
- Celebrating ChildFreedom on the Fourth of July - HuffPost - July 3rd, 2017
- Myths and Facts About Living Childfree - RESOLVE - July 1st, 2017
- As A Childfree Woman, Every Day Is Independence Day - HuffPost - July 1st, 2017
- Can Everyone On RHONY Stop Shaming Carole Radziwill For Not Having Children? - Refinery29 - June 30th, 2017
- Why am I expected to have children just because I'm a woman? - Irish Times - June 27th, 2017
- Vacation without Children - Childfree Getaways - TripSavvy - June 24th, 2017
- Why I Don't Want to Have Kids | POPSUGAR Love & Sex - POPSUGAR - June 22nd, 2017
- Why you should go on a child-free vacation - Femina - June 21st, 2017
- The 1 Simple Reason I Decided Not to Have Kids - POPSUGAR UK - June 21st, 2017
- What We Get Wrong About Women Who Don't Have Kids - Refinery29 - June 20th, 2017
- 'Strangers should mind their own business about my child-free status' - Independent.ie - June 8th, 2017
- Overlooking the childfree is a mistake - Spectator.co.uk (blog) - June 7th, 2017
- The Childfree, Outrage, and Where It Belongs - Huffington Post - April 8th, 2017
- Child-free and OK with it but still dealing with moral scolding and ... - Salon - March 7th, 2017
- Meet The Twenty-Something Childfree Women Fighting To Be Sterilised - Huffington Post UK - March 7th, 2017
- This May Explain Why So Many People Feel Outraged About Childfree Adults - Huffington Post - March 2nd, 2017
- I had a vasectomy and I have no regrets - Why a lot of people are opting for a child free lifestyle - SDE Entertainment News (satire) (press release)... - February 27th, 2017
- What time is Parenting for Idiots on Channel 4 tonight, who's on the show with Frankie Boyle and Sally Phillips and ... - The Sun - February 16th, 2017
- Only One in the World: Pioneering NotMom Summit to Connect Childless & Childfree Women - PR Newswire (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- Why No Kids - We're childfree and happy. You could be too! - February 4th, 2017
- Happily Childfree - Children's Health Health Care Blog - February 4th, 2017
- Mommyjacking The Childfree Life - STFU Parents - February 1st, 2017
- Jillian Michaels - Scary Mommy - December 31st, 2016
- The Childfree-by-Choice Pages - December 8th, 2016
- The Childfree Life Index page - December 8th, 2016