Protesters gather outside the Balmoral Hotel on East Hastings Street in Vancouver on May 30 to vent against the living conditions of the tenants. Jason Payne / PNG
Re: BIG idea: How basic income could improve health, Opinion, June 2.
The Basic Income Guarantee is a great way to foster dropping out of school and quitting your job. Or better yet, working under the table and supplementing your cash income with a BIG allowance.
Nowhere does Rosana Salvaterra suggest that this free cash would have a time limit, so why would anyone want to work for anything near minimum wage, even at $15 per hour when they can stay home and get paid, no questions asked?
What these so-called experts who promote the benefits like improved health care under this plan never provide is the answer to who will pay for this when we have several million Canadians sitting at home waiting for their cheque?
I know my health will improve when I can sleep in and then stroll down to the pub and buy a pint with all of that free money rather than putting in a hard-days work. After all, it has been proven that lots of sleep benefits your health.
Action, not crocodile tears, needed to deal with slumlords
Re: Frustrated tenants storm city hall. Disgusting: Residents claim Balmoral Hotel has been declared unsafe, but owners have done nothing to fix it, June 2.
Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson needs to know people want action, not his crocodile tears pretending he cares. The Sahotas have been allowed to continue running their Downtown Eastside hotels into the ground and treating the people who live there like garbage.
Last time there were stories regarding this family and its pathetic treatment of people, I can remember Robertson saying he would have repairs done and bill them to the Sahota family. So much for that idea.
Robertson is allowing them to run buildings into the ground, so they can be declared unfit, then everyone will he evicted and theyll tear them down and put in more pricey shoeboxes, making that family extremely rich.
Shawn Storey, Surrey
Losers want to change the rules
Here we go again. It seems it doesnt matter if its ping-pong, football or politics, once the competition is over the losers want to change the rules.
Our forefathers left us living in the best province in the best country under our present electoral system. Now, these perennial losers want to change the rules. We cant allow this to happen.
Alvin Towriss, Hope
Prince Rupert a better place for pipeline terminus
The big news of the day now seems to be stopping the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion to Burnaby. Everyone Ive talked to agrees that the pipeline is important for Canada, but not to a final destination in Burnaby.
Prince Rupert is the logical place that we all agree on. Cant these government people realize that we already have cargo ships from around the world, cruise ships, local ferries, seaplanes, company and private yachts, tugs with log booms, etc., plying Vancouver Harbour, to say nothing about even more traffic in the Juan de Fuca Strait heading to Seattle as well as Vancouver and up the Inside Passage.
Prince Rupert has a straight outward passage to the open Pacific Ocean.
John Hyndman, Langley
Re: Orphaned Abbotsford siblings given eviction notice, June 1.
The landlords eviction of this family after the year they have endured is despicable and heartless. The rent is being paid, so its hard not to think that their ruthless decision is based on renting it out for more money than concern for their coming family.
Hopefully, with The Provinces coverage of this familys plight, a landlord with heart and soul will come forward with a new place for them to live.
Tom Gray, North Delta
CLICK HERE to report a typo.
Is there more to this story? Wed like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. Email email@example.com.
See more here:
- What is the Liveable Income Guarantee, and how could it affect you? - Yahoo Finance Australia - October 8th, 2020
- Two Years of Duques Colombia: Deepening Neoliberalism, Increased Violence and a Public Health Crisis - NewsClick - August 13th, 2020
- Why Kamala Harris VP pick could cost Biden the election - Fox Business - August 13th, 2020
- Magic Reports Second Quarter and First Half 2020 Financial Results with Record-Breaking Operating Income of $9.8 million, reflecting a 22% Year Over... - August 13th, 2020
- Why We Should Turn to Earned Income Tax Credit to Aid Those Struggling Through Pandemic - The National Interest - August 8th, 2020
- Millions of America's working poor may lose out on key anti-poverty tax credit because of the pandemic - The Conversation US - August 7th, 2020
- Could $50 a Week Empower High School Students to Set and Meet Education Goals? This New Orleans School Aims to Find Out - redlakenationnews.com - August 7th, 2020
- Heres How We Remake the Economy - Common Dreams - August 5th, 2020
- VOICE OF THE PEOPLE July 31, 2020 - TheChronicleHerald.ca - July 31st, 2020
- Health unit calls for universal basic income - The North Bay Nugget - July 30th, 2020
- Job guarantee program could bolster economy more than ... - July 27th, 2020
- The Gray Market: Why the Entire Art World Should Back Canadian Arts Workers Push for Universal Basic Income (and Other Insights) - artnet News - July 26th, 2020
- Extra $600 unemployment benefits set to expire this weekend - WKOW - July 25th, 2020
- Why Now is the Time to ACT on KUB - SACE - Clean Energy News - July 25th, 2020
- What is Basic Income? | Guaranteed Universal Basic Income - July 25th, 2020
- ECLAC calls for urgent regional cooperation beyond the pandemic to foster more integration and avert a food crisis - Dominican Today - July 25th, 2020
- 'A recovery that puts people first': A group of young Australians is demanding a government job guarantee to fight both soaring unemployment and... - July 24th, 2020
- Analysis: Behind the legal maneuvering in the Reclaim Idaho initiative - Idaho EdNews - July 24th, 2020
- In the wake of Covid-19, time to consider basic income: Senate report - Investment Executive - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 on P.E.I.: What's happening Tuesday, July 14 - CBC.ca - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 on P.E.I.: What's happening Monday, July 13 - CBC.ca - July 20th, 2020
- Lift Every Voice: The Urgency of Universal Civic Duty Voting - Brookings Institution - July 20th, 2020
- Largest cities in Colombia reverse reopening as coronavirus threatens to collapse healthcare - Colombia Reports - July 17th, 2020
- GST: The increase Australia doesn't have to have Monash Lens - Monash Lens - July 15th, 2020
- Bogot returns to strict quarantine based on rotating localities as of July 13 - The City Paper Bogot - July 11th, 2020
- Why a Universal Basic Income is the solution to inequity - Women's Agenda - June 22nd, 2020
- Crypto Experts Reveal Thoughts: How Will Bitcoin Perform After the COVID-19 Crisis Has Passed? - PRNewswire - June 22nd, 2020
- Interviews: Punks on Politics: Checking in with Mel Gagarin - Punknews.org - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19: UN agencies warn against rising hunger in Latin America and the Caribbean - UN News - June 22nd, 2020
- Universal Basic Income: Andrew Yang Was Pushing for It Long Before Coronavirus Pandemic - PopCulture.com - May 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus is a crisis for the developing world, but here's why it needn't be a catastrophe - The Guardian - May 9th, 2020
- Starvation in the time of Corona: momentum for the Universal Basic Dividend - DiEM25 - May 9th, 2020
- Adam Schiff Says Trump's Cult of the President Has Infected the Republican Party - Mother Jones - May 9th, 2020
- Common Arguments Against Basic Income Don't apply to the Emergency BI - Basic Income News - March 31st, 2020
- How a Basic Income And Jobs Guarantee Can Save The Economy From Coronavirus - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020
- I've lived through plenty of social shocks this time we must learn the lessons - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Iain Duncan Smith says dont bring in universal basic income during pandemic as it would be disincentive to work - The Independent - March 26th, 2020
- Solidarity Economicsfor the Coronavirus Crisis and Beyond - The American Prospect - March 26th, 2020
- We face a war against coronavirus and must mobilise accordingly | Free to read - Financial Times - March 26th, 2020
- Lockdown to fight coronavirus is going to hit most Indian workers very hard - Livemint - March 26th, 2020
- Beware of a lopsided lockdown - The Hindu - March 26th, 2020
- Life, Liberty, and Basic Income | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - February 29th, 2020
- Find ways to improve the revenue of farmers: Congress - The Hindu - January 30th, 2020
- Eliminating Child Poverty With a Government Check - The New York Times - January 30th, 2020
- Andrew Yang Expects 'Many' of His Supporters to Back Sanders in Iowa: We 'Have a Lot of Overlap' - Newsweek - January 30th, 2020
- Trump to let states overhaul Medicaid for the poor, seeking to change Obamacare without legislation - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- P.E.I. groups say basic Income should not replace addictions, other supports - The Journal Pioneer - January 27th, 2020
- 5 Psychological Forces That Turn People into Political Hacks | Aaron Pomerantz - Foundation for Economic Education - January 13th, 2020
- WAYNE YOUNG: Island voices must be heard - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019
- The Guardian view on Finlands new PM: a different type of leadership - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019
- Basic Income as 40 Acres and a Mule - Basic Income News - October 16th, 2019
- 'Most Americans Don't Want To Work for the Federal Government' Says Andrew Yang, Trashing Federal Jobs Guarantee - Reason - October 16th, 2019
- Democratic debate highlights: best and most substantive answers of the night - Vox.com - October 16th, 2019
- Sanders: 'Damn right we will' have a job for every American | TheHill - The Hill - October 16th, 2019
- Assembly Elections 2019: Why is the Congress evasive about NYAY scheme this poll season? - Moneycontrol.com - October 16th, 2019
- Letter to the Editor: Universal basic income is inevitable as we head toward a fully automated society - The Post - October 16th, 2019
- Democrats focus on some Midwestern issues at Westerville debate, a departure from past three forums - cleveland.com - October 16th, 2019
- New book reviews the Namibian Basic Income pilot - Basic Income News - October 1st, 2019
- Quick notes from Basic Income Guarantee Panel - falicon.com - January 28th, 2019
- 'Hartz reforms': how a benefits shakeup changed Germany ... - January 28th, 2019
- Basic income could end food insecurity - Upstream - January 3rd, 2019
- Basic Income Guarantee - Your Right to Economic Security ... - November 8th, 2018
- The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee ... - September 18th, 2018
- Is a Basic Income Guarantee the Right Choice for Ontario? - June 27th, 2018
- Basic Income Now | It's time for dignity for all - March 17th, 2018
- 'Me too' and the basic income guarantee | Basic Income News - February 6th, 2018
- Food shopping at dollar stores | Brantford Expositor - Brantford Expositor - August 24th, 2017
- How Cities Can Rebuild the Social Safety Net - CityLab - August 24th, 2017
- After lifting minimum wage, NDP government prepares to consult public about reducing poverty - Straight.com - August 16th, 2017
- Universal Basic Infrastructure to help decrease India's poverty - Economic Times - August 14th, 2017
- New Zealand Fabians host Basic Income panel - Basic Income News - August 13th, 2017
- Hashtag Trending Battery-free phone, Apple's China backlash - IT World Canada - August 10th, 2017
- Universal basic income proponent to speak in Boise - Idaho Press-Tribune - August 7th, 2017
- Let's talk about a supplemental income - The Hindu - August 7th, 2017
- Is a Well-Paying Job the next Entitlement Program? - Big Think (blog) - August 5th, 2017
- DON PRIDMORE: Be careful what you wish for... - The Guardian - August 1st, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Island needs dollars, not data, to cope with poverty - The Guardian - July 29th, 2017
- Renfrew County dietitian recognized by board of health for provincial award - www.insideottawavalley.com/ - July 27th, 2017
- More Calgarians struggle to feed their families over the summer months - CBC.ca - July 26th, 2017
- NEW ORLEANS, LA, US: Local basic income group begins to hold monthly meetings - Basic Income News - July 25th, 2017