The B.C. NDP government hopes to have a poverty-reduction strategy in place by next year.
Thats according to Social Development and Poverty Reduction Minister Shane Simpson.
At this month's Vancouver Pride parade, Simpson told the Straightthat the province has had "flat wage growth" for well over a decade.
He also said that about 500,000 British Columbians are living in povertyand theyre not all on income assistance or disability benefits.
Half of those people are the working poor, Simpson stated. Theyve got a full-time paycheque coming into the house.
The government plans to address this by increasing the minimum wage in the hope that it will encourage employers to raise their workers pay.
Others have taken the trickle-down approach to economic benefits being distributed, Simpson noted, referring to the Gordon Campbell governments decision to cut everyones income tax by 25 percent when it took power in 2001. Were going to push it from the bottom up.
On August 15, Premier John Horgan announced that the minimum wage would increase by 50 cents an hour next month to $11.35 per hour.
He's also promised to boost it to $15 per hour by the end of the NDP government's first term in office.
One of the Horgan governments earliest moves was increasing income-assistance rates by $100 per month.
Meanwhile, Simpson said there will soon be a public-consultation process in advance of introducing legislation on a poverty-reduction strategy.
The objective, according to Simpson, is to involve all ministries that can play a role, including those that oversee housing, childcare, income assistance, and education.
Well bring them all together and, hopefully, be able to develop some strategies working with people in the community to start to break the cycle of poverty that captures people and captures families, he said. Its incredibly hard for them to break that. It tends to go on for generations.
Simpson stressed the importance of providing meaningful opportunities for poor people to participate in government consultations.
Were going to craft a way to do that, Simpson promised.
He also said that the NDP government is committed to creating and measuring the results of a basic-income pilot project in B.C.
The minister suggested it might take three years to generate sufficient data for the government to draw conclusions.
Theres a similar pilot under way in Ontario. But one of the challenges is how to deal with public pensions, which fall under federal jurisdiction.
Advocates of a basic-income guarantee say it will provide everyone with sufficient money to meet basic needs and live in dignity, regardless of their employment status.
Some people are quite supportive of it, others are a little more skeptical about whether it can work, Simpson said. Im not certain one way or the other, but I think its worth a look.
When he was an opposition MLA, Simpson often made the case for a provincial poverty-reduction plan.
His private member's bill on this issue in 2011 called for a minister responsible for poverty reduction to publish an annual report detailing the state of poverty in B.C.
In addition, the bill called for independent comment from an advisory committee, and reporting on the progress toward implementing a strategy, the attainment of goals and specific objectives and performance measures, and recommendations to improve the effectiveness of the strategy.
It also included a section requiring consultation with B.C. residents living in poverty, as well as with other levels of government, First Nations, nonprofit groups, the business community, academics, and the trade-union community.
The rest is here:
- Income inequality in the United States - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2017 [January 5th, 2017]
- Basic Income as All-inclusive Democratic Subsidy - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- Basic income is superior to the job guarantee - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- CANADA: Over 10000 people have signed to support Basic Income - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- A response to 'The dangers of a basic income' - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- Ebay founder backs universal basic income test with $500000 pledge - Mashable - February 9th, 2017 [February 9th, 2017]
- OPINION: Human rights, basic needs - The Guardian - February 10th, 2017 [February 10th, 2017]
- Left-Wing America Steps Up Calls For Free Money, Jobs Guarantee - Daily Caller - February 10th, 2017 [February 10th, 2017]
- Guaranteed basic income proposed. - Bayshore Broadcasting News Centre - February 15th, 2017 [February 15th, 2017]
- World Economic Forum blog: Canada's basic income experiment will it work? - Basic Income News - February 16th, 2017 [February 16th, 2017]
- Expert: We Can Have Universal Basic Income and Jobs - Futurism - Futurism - February 18th, 2017 [February 18th, 2017]
- Ben Wray: Why both the right to work and the right not to work can set us free - CommonSpace - February 20th, 2017 [February 20th, 2017]
- VIDEO: Basic Income presentation at Meeting of the Minds Summit - Basic Income News - February 22nd, 2017 [February 22nd, 2017]
- Australia Needs A Universal Basic Income, And We Should Start ... - Huffington Post Australia - February 24th, 2017 [February 24th, 2017]
- A guaranteed income isn't the solution to widespread unemployment - Acton Institute (blog) - March 1st, 2017 [March 1st, 2017]
- Industry body bats for universal basic income for women - Times of India - March 8th, 2017 [March 8th, 2017]
- Basic Income in Argentine News - Basic Income News - March 10th, 2017 [March 10th, 2017]
- Basic-income guarantee is way to end poverty - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017 [March 11th, 2017]
- Letters: Guaranteed income guarantees sloth - The Province - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Universal basic income: guarantee pay as way to improve quality of life - WatertownDailyTimes.com - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- About That Universal Basic Income Idea - FITSNews - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Basic income plan doable: Northern study - The Sudbury Star - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Study of Iran's basic income shows it did not harm employment - Basic Income News - June 7th, 2017 [June 7th, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - First Coast News - June 20th, 2017 [June 20th, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - KPNX 12 News TV - June 21st, 2017 [June 21st, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - 9NEWS.com - June 21st, 2017 [June 21st, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - KHOU - June 24th, 2017 [June 24th, 2017]
- Net incomes under a Basic Income system - Basic Income News - July 1st, 2017 [July 1st, 2017]
- Basic Income Guarantee program moving forward for 2000 Lindsay residents - Kawartha Media Group - July 8th, 2017 [July 8th, 2017]
- UBI is just a bedtime story Elon Musk tells himself to help the super-wealthy sleep - Quartz - July 14th, 2017 [July 14th, 2017]
- NDP leadership candidate visits Guelph (8 photos) - GuelphToday - July 18th, 2017 [July 18th, 2017]
- Does Basic Income Solve Anything? Grasp the Arguments for and ... - Futurism - July 21st, 2017 [July 21st, 2017]
- Value in using tax system for basic income: Report - The Sudbury Star - July 21st, 2017 [July 21st, 2017]
- NEW ORLEANS, LA, US: Local basic income group begins to hold monthly meetings - Basic Income News - July 25th, 2017 [July 25th, 2017]
- More Calgarians struggle to feed their families over the summer months - CBC.ca - July 26th, 2017 [July 26th, 2017]
- Renfrew County dietitian recognized by board of health for provincial award - www.insideottawavalley.com/ - July 27th, 2017 [July 27th, 2017]
- EDITORIAL: Island needs dollars, not data, to cope with poverty - The Guardian - July 29th, 2017 [July 29th, 2017]
- DON PRIDMORE: Be careful what you wish for... - The Guardian - August 1st, 2017 [August 1st, 2017]
- Is a Well-Paying Job the next Entitlement Program? - Big Think (blog) - August 5th, 2017 [August 5th, 2017]
- Let's talk about a supplemental income - The Hindu - August 7th, 2017 [August 7th, 2017]
- Universal basic income proponent to speak in Boise - Idaho Press-Tribune - August 7th, 2017 [August 7th, 2017]
- Hashtag Trending Battery-free phone, Apple's China backlash - IT World Canada - August 10th, 2017 [August 10th, 2017]
- New Zealand Fabians host Basic Income panel - Basic Income News - August 13th, 2017 [August 13th, 2017]
- Universal Basic Infrastructure to help decrease India's poverty - Economic Times - August 14th, 2017 [August 14th, 2017]
- How Cities Can Rebuild the Social Safety Net - CityLab - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- Food shopping at dollar stores | Brantford Expositor - Brantford Expositor - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- 'Me too' and the basic income guarantee | Basic Income News - February 6th, 2018 [February 6th, 2018]
- Basic Income Now | It's time for dignity for all - March 17th, 2018 [March 17th, 2018]
- Is a Basic Income Guarantee the Right Choice for Ontario? - June 27th, 2018 [June 27th, 2018]
- The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee ... - September 18th, 2018 [September 18th, 2018]
- Basic Income Guarantee - Your Right to Economic Security ... - November 8th, 2018 [November 8th, 2018]
- Basic income could end food insecurity - Upstream - January 3rd, 2019 [January 3rd, 2019]
- 'Hartz reforms': how a benefits shakeup changed Germany ... - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- Quick notes from Basic Income Guarantee Panel - falicon.com - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- New book reviews the Namibian Basic Income pilot - Basic Income News - October 1st, 2019 [October 1st, 2019]
- Democrats focus on some Midwestern issues at Westerville debate, a departure from past three forums - cleveland.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Assembly Elections 2019: Why is the Congress evasive about NYAY scheme this poll season? - Moneycontrol.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Letter to the Editor: Universal basic income is inevitable as we head toward a fully automated society - The Post - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Democratic debate highlights: best and most substantive answers of the night - Vox.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Sanders: 'Damn right we will' have a job for every American | TheHill - The Hill - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- 'Most Americans Don't Want To Work for the Federal Government' Says Andrew Yang, Trashing Federal Jobs Guarantee - Reason - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Basic Income as 40 Acres and a Mule - Basic Income News - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- WAYNE YOUNG: Island voices must be heard - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- The Guardian view on Finlands new PM: a different type of leadership - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- 5 Psychological Forces That Turn People into Political Hacks | Aaron Pomerantz - Foundation for Economic Education - January 13th, 2020 [January 13th, 2020]
- P.E.I. groups say basic Income should not replace addictions, other supports - The Journal Pioneer - January 27th, 2020 [January 27th, 2020]
- Trump to let states overhaul Medicaid for the poor, seeking to change Obamacare without legislation - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Find ways to improve the revenue of farmers: Congress - The Hindu - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Eliminating Child Poverty With a Government Check - The New York Times - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Andrew Yang Expects 'Many' of His Supporters to Back Sanders in Iowa: We 'Have a Lot of Overlap' - Newsweek - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Life, Liberty, and Basic Income | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - February 29th, 2020 [February 29th, 2020]
- Lockdown to fight coronavirus is going to hit most Indian workers very hard - Livemint - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Beware of a lopsided lockdown - The Hindu - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- We face a war against coronavirus and must mobilise accordingly | Free to read - Financial Times - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Coronavirus: Iain Duncan Smith says dont bring in universal basic income during pandemic as it would be disincentive to work - The Independent - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Solidarity Economicsfor the Coronavirus Crisis and Beyond - The American Prospect - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- I've lived through plenty of social shocks this time we must learn the lessons - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Common Arguments Against Basic Income Don't apply to the Emergency BI - Basic Income News - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- How a Basic Income And Jobs Guarantee Can Save The Economy From Coronavirus - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Starvation in the time of Corona: momentum for the Universal Basic Dividend - DiEM25 - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]