WESTERVILLE, Ohio Democrats have said to win in 2020 they need to go into their traditional strongholds and talk to voters about the issues that matter to them.
At Tuesday nights debate at Otterbein University, they finally started following their own advice.
After three debates that largely failed to address Midwestern issues in depth, the 12 Democrats on the stage had a fairly robust discussion, taking advantage of their location in the Buckeye State. And they found a way to tie the topics to regional problems.
The economy and jobs were a prime focus of the first hour of discussion, including the monthlong strike by autoworkers against General Motors and the closure of the Lordstown GM plant. The August massacre in Dayton, Ohio, got some play. And the debate even featured a question from a teacher about the opioid crisis.
It was a stark difference from the previous three, which have mostly focused on health care with passing attention given to Midwestern issues.
The economy and jobs
Businessman Andrew Yang, whose chief plank is universal basic income, brought up the economy first, after pivoting from a question in the opening minutes about whether he supported impeaching Republican President Donald Trump.
Why did Donald Trump win your state by eight points? Yang asked the crowd. Because we got rid of 300,000 manufacturing jobs in your towns. And we are not stopping there. Amazon alone is closing 30 percent of America's stores and malls, soaking up $20 billion in business while paying zero in taxes. These are the problems that got Donald Trump elected, the fourth industrial revolution. And that is going to accelerate and grow more serious regardless of who is in the Oval Office.
After focusing on impeachment and health care for 30 minutes, the moderators switched to the economy when Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont was asked if his proposed federal jobs guarantee would, in fact, provide a job for every single American.
Damn right we will. And I'll tell you why, Sanders said. If you look at what goes on in America today, we have an infrastructure which is collapsing. We could put 15 million people to work rebuilding our roads, our bridges, our water systems, our wastewater plants, airports, et cetera.
CNN moderator Erin Burnett eventually shifted the discussion to automation, asking Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts if she stood by her statement that automation was not the main reason for job loss.
So the data show that we have had a lot of problems with losing jobs, but the principal reason has been bad trade policy, Warren said. The principal reason has been a bunch of corporations, giant multinational corporations who've been calling the shots on trade, giant multinational corporations that have no loyalty to America. They have no loyalty to American workers. They have no loyalty to American consumers. They have no loyalty to American communities. They are loyal only to their own bottom line.
Her proposed solution was to make it easier to join a labor union and require any multinational corporation that wants to do business in America to have 40% of its board elected by employees.
That will make a difference when a corporation decides, Gee, we could save a nickel by moving a job to Mexico, when there are people on the board in the boardroom saying, No, do you know what that does to our company? Do you know what that does to our community, what it does to our workers? Warren said.
Former Rep. Beto ORourke of Texas and Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey said they would rewrite trade deals to require that Mexican workers be allowed to join a labor union.
The candidates were all asked what they would do to curb gun violence, such as the shooting in Dayton, Ohio, where nine people were slaughtered in less than a minute.
Most of the discussion on the topic was over whether the candidates supported a mandatory or voluntary gun buyback program.
ORourke said he supported a mandatory program. The other candidates supported a form of voluntary buyback, mostly reasoning because they wanted to accomplish goals like universal background checks and red-flag laws while public support is on their side.
I just dont want to screw this up, said Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota. When I am president, I want to bring in an assault weapon ban. And I do want to bring in a limitation on magazines so what happened to Dayton, Ohio, doesnt happen again.
Sen. Kamala Harris of California said she would give Congress 100 days to send her a gun reform bill, after which she would use an executive order to institute universal background checks.
Former Vice President Joe Biden said holding gun manufacturers liable for shooting deaths was also a viable option to curbing gun violence.
If you really want to get it done, go after the gun manufacturers and take back the exemption they have to not being sued, Biden said.
The opioid addiction crisis also received some play from the moderators, who said they asked Ohioans for their top questions before the debate.
The issue wasnt given as much time as other topics, though, with the candidates uniformly arguing for decriminalizing personal use and shifting funds from jailing addicts to treatment. Yang also argued for safe injection sites.
The candidates mostly agreed with holding the drug companies civilly liable for overdose deaths.
See original here:
- Income inequality in the United States - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2017 [January 5th, 2017]
- Basic Income as All-inclusive Democratic Subsidy - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- Basic income is superior to the job guarantee - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- CANADA: Over 10000 people have signed to support Basic Income - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- A response to 'The dangers of a basic income' - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- Ebay founder backs universal basic income test with $500000 pledge - Mashable - February 9th, 2017 [February 9th, 2017]
- OPINION: Human rights, basic needs - The Guardian - February 10th, 2017 [February 10th, 2017]
- Left-Wing America Steps Up Calls For Free Money, Jobs Guarantee - Daily Caller - February 10th, 2017 [February 10th, 2017]
- Guaranteed basic income proposed. - Bayshore Broadcasting News Centre - February 15th, 2017 [February 15th, 2017]
- World Economic Forum blog: Canada's basic income experiment will it work? - Basic Income News - February 16th, 2017 [February 16th, 2017]
- Expert: We Can Have Universal Basic Income and Jobs - Futurism - Futurism - February 18th, 2017 [February 18th, 2017]
- Ben Wray: Why both the right to work and the right not to work can set us free - CommonSpace - February 20th, 2017 [February 20th, 2017]
- VIDEO: Basic Income presentation at Meeting of the Minds Summit - Basic Income News - February 22nd, 2017 [February 22nd, 2017]
- Australia Needs A Universal Basic Income, And We Should Start ... - Huffington Post Australia - February 24th, 2017 [February 24th, 2017]
- A guaranteed income isn't the solution to widespread unemployment - Acton Institute (blog) - March 1st, 2017 [March 1st, 2017]
- Industry body bats for universal basic income for women - Times of India - March 8th, 2017 [March 8th, 2017]
- Basic Income in Argentine News - Basic Income News - March 10th, 2017 [March 10th, 2017]
- Basic-income guarantee is way to end poverty - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017 [March 11th, 2017]
- Letters: Guaranteed income guarantees sloth - The Province - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Universal basic income: guarantee pay as way to improve quality of life - WatertownDailyTimes.com - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- About That Universal Basic Income Idea - FITSNews - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Basic income plan doable: Northern study - The Sudbury Star - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Study of Iran's basic income shows it did not harm employment - Basic Income News - June 7th, 2017 [June 7th, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - First Coast News - June 20th, 2017 [June 20th, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - KPNX 12 News TV - June 21st, 2017 [June 21st, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - 9NEWS.com - June 21st, 2017 [June 21st, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - KHOU - June 24th, 2017 [June 24th, 2017]
- Net incomes under a Basic Income system - Basic Income News - July 1st, 2017 [July 1st, 2017]
- Basic Income Guarantee program moving forward for 2000 Lindsay residents - Kawartha Media Group - July 8th, 2017 [July 8th, 2017]
- UBI is just a bedtime story Elon Musk tells himself to help the super-wealthy sleep - Quartz - July 14th, 2017 [July 14th, 2017]
- NDP leadership candidate visits Guelph (8 photos) - GuelphToday - July 18th, 2017 [July 18th, 2017]
- Does Basic Income Solve Anything? Grasp the Arguments for and ... - Futurism - July 21st, 2017 [July 21st, 2017]
- Value in using tax system for basic income: Report - The Sudbury Star - July 21st, 2017 [July 21st, 2017]
- NEW ORLEANS, LA, US: Local basic income group begins to hold monthly meetings - Basic Income News - July 25th, 2017 [July 25th, 2017]
- More Calgarians struggle to feed their families over the summer months - CBC.ca - July 26th, 2017 [July 26th, 2017]
- Renfrew County dietitian recognized by board of health for provincial award - www.insideottawavalley.com/ - July 27th, 2017 [July 27th, 2017]
- EDITORIAL: Island needs dollars, not data, to cope with poverty - The Guardian - July 29th, 2017 [July 29th, 2017]
- DON PRIDMORE: Be careful what you wish for... - The Guardian - August 1st, 2017 [August 1st, 2017]
- Is a Well-Paying Job the next Entitlement Program? - Big Think (blog) - August 5th, 2017 [August 5th, 2017]
- Let's talk about a supplemental income - The Hindu - August 7th, 2017 [August 7th, 2017]
- Universal basic income proponent to speak in Boise - Idaho Press-Tribune - August 7th, 2017 [August 7th, 2017]
- Hashtag Trending Battery-free phone, Apple's China backlash - IT World Canada - August 10th, 2017 [August 10th, 2017]
- New Zealand Fabians host Basic Income panel - Basic Income News - August 13th, 2017 [August 13th, 2017]
- Universal Basic Infrastructure to help decrease India's poverty - Economic Times - August 14th, 2017 [August 14th, 2017]
- After lifting minimum wage, NDP government prepares to consult public about reducing poverty - Straight.com - August 16th, 2017 [August 16th, 2017]
- How Cities Can Rebuild the Social Safety Net - CityLab - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- Food shopping at dollar stores | Brantford Expositor - Brantford Expositor - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- 'Me too' and the basic income guarantee | Basic Income News - February 6th, 2018 [February 6th, 2018]
- Basic Income Now | It's time for dignity for all - March 17th, 2018 [March 17th, 2018]
- Is a Basic Income Guarantee the Right Choice for Ontario? - June 27th, 2018 [June 27th, 2018]
- The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee ... - September 18th, 2018 [September 18th, 2018]
- Basic Income Guarantee - Your Right to Economic Security ... - November 8th, 2018 [November 8th, 2018]
- Basic income could end food insecurity - Upstream - January 3rd, 2019 [January 3rd, 2019]
- 'Hartz reforms': how a benefits shakeup changed Germany ... - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- Quick notes from Basic Income Guarantee Panel - falicon.com - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- New book reviews the Namibian Basic Income pilot - Basic Income News - October 1st, 2019 [October 1st, 2019]
- Assembly Elections 2019: Why is the Congress evasive about NYAY scheme this poll season? - Moneycontrol.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Letter to the Editor: Universal basic income is inevitable as we head toward a fully automated society - The Post - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Democratic debate highlights: best and most substantive answers of the night - Vox.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Sanders: 'Damn right we will' have a job for every American | TheHill - The Hill - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- 'Most Americans Don't Want To Work for the Federal Government' Says Andrew Yang, Trashing Federal Jobs Guarantee - Reason - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Basic Income as 40 Acres and a Mule - Basic Income News - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- WAYNE YOUNG: Island voices must be heard - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- The Guardian view on Finlands new PM: a different type of leadership - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- 5 Psychological Forces That Turn People into Political Hacks | Aaron Pomerantz - Foundation for Economic Education - January 13th, 2020 [January 13th, 2020]
- P.E.I. groups say basic Income should not replace addictions, other supports - The Journal Pioneer - January 27th, 2020 [January 27th, 2020]
- Trump to let states overhaul Medicaid for the poor, seeking to change Obamacare without legislation - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Find ways to improve the revenue of farmers: Congress - The Hindu - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Eliminating Child Poverty With a Government Check - The New York Times - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Andrew Yang Expects 'Many' of His Supporters to Back Sanders in Iowa: We 'Have a Lot of Overlap' - Newsweek - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Life, Liberty, and Basic Income | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - February 29th, 2020 [February 29th, 2020]
- Lockdown to fight coronavirus is going to hit most Indian workers very hard - Livemint - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Beware of a lopsided lockdown - The Hindu - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- We face a war against coronavirus and must mobilise accordingly | Free to read - Financial Times - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Coronavirus: Iain Duncan Smith says dont bring in universal basic income during pandemic as it would be disincentive to work - The Independent - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Solidarity Economicsfor the Coronavirus Crisis and Beyond - The American Prospect - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- I've lived through plenty of social shocks this time we must learn the lessons - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Common Arguments Against Basic Income Don't apply to the Emergency BI - Basic Income News - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- How a Basic Income And Jobs Guarantee Can Save The Economy From Coronavirus - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Starvation in the time of Corona: momentum for the Universal Basic Dividend - DiEM25 - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]