With at least 250 million Indians going into lockdown from Monday morning, one question looms large - what will precariously placed workers do?
The share of those in India with precarious jobs is far higher than is commonly believed to be the case. According to the most recent labour statistics, 25 percent of rural households and 12 percent of urban households rely on casual labour as their main source of income. Casual labour was defined as a person who was engaged not in a fixed, but in a casual manner in another person's enterprise and, in return, was paid daily or periodically.
But this doesnt mean that other jobs are stable. Over 40% of those in urban areas are now in regular" or salaried jobs but these do not necessarily come with job security. Over 70 per cent of salaried employees in the non-agricultural sector had no written contracts, and over half were not eligible for paid leave. The share of workers not eligible for paid leave has grown steadily over the last 15 years, from a minority at 46% in 2004-05 to being the norm now. Nearly half of salaried workers in non-agricultural jobs are not entitled to any social security benefits including health care.
Self-employed work too is not the sort of entrepreneurial businesses that the term tends to conjure. Most of the self-employed in urban areas are solo workers who work 55-56 hours a week and make around 14,000 per month
Would the impact of the janata curfew" on March 22 have been blunted by the fact that it was a Sunday? For the average Indian worker, Sunday is just another day. Most workers across different forms of employment work nearly seven days a week on average.
Nor is there much in the bank to rely on as a buffer. The median rural family had under 4 lakh in total assets, while the median urban family had under 6 lakh in total assets, including all their household possessions.
Shocks can easily push vulnerable people into poverty, and in the absence of education, physical and social capital, people from marginalised communities including Dalits and Adivasis, are particularly in danger of falling into poverty.
What then can the government do to mitigate the impact of lost wages for a workforce that largely counts on its day-to-day earnings? The International Labour Organisation (ILO) recommends extending social protection and supporting employment retention to protect against job losses and worker hardship during the pandemic.
But for those who do lose wages, the most widely suggested solution currently is an income transfer, something that is being discussed even in developed countries hard hit by COVID-19-imposed lockdowns. The most recent National Sample Survey on consumption expenditure (not released by the government) found that the average monthly per capita expenditure in urban areas was a little under 4,000. In the 2016-2017 Economic Survey, then Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) Arvind Subramanian authored a chapter outlining what a Universal Basic Income could look like. At 12,000 per month, it would wipe out poverty (based on older 2011-12) estimates, he suggested.
Yet, access to banking remains well short of universal, despite the Modi-era expansion. According to the World Banks Global Findex Database 2017 , while 80% of adults had a bank account in 2017, just 43% of them had made a withdrawal in the past year.
In-kind transfers would be another way to go, but reaching the poorest remains challenging. The Economic Survey noted that [a]n estimate of the exclusion error from 2011-12 suggests that
40 percent of the bottom 40 percent of the population are excluded from the [Public Distribution System]. The corresponding figure for 2011-12 for [the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme] was 65 percent". States that targeted less and universalised more had lower leakages and better success at reaching the poor.
India does not have to look far for a combination of targeted and universal, cash and kind assistance. Kerala and Uttar Pradesh have announced one months free rations, permission for advance drawing of welfare pensions and 1,000 in cash for those who are poor but do not receive pensions.
As a fifth of the country wakes up to life under lockdown, all states will need to draw up similar plans.
Rukmini S. is a Chennai-based journalist.
Lockdown to fight coronavirus is going to hit most Indian workers very hard - Livemint
- Basic Income for the Arts (BIA) - Citizens Information - December 6th, 2022 [December 6th, 2022]
- Universal basic income - Pros and cons - Economics Help - November 28th, 2022 [November 28th, 2022]
- Basic Income Grant: What is the debate about? | GroundUp - October 19th, 2022 [October 19th, 2022]
- Child poverty across eastern Europe and Central Asia soars by 19 per cent, as Ukraine war and rising inflation drive four million children into... - October 19th, 2022 [October 19th, 2022]
- Artist Basic Income Take Me Somewhere - September 8th, 2022 [September 8th, 2022]
- Universal Basic Income fails to get to the root of urban poverty - 2UrbanGirls - September 8th, 2022 [September 8th, 2022]
- GROUNDUP OP-ED: Basic income grant separating the facts from the populism - Daily Maverick - September 8th, 2022 [September 8th, 2022]
- What labour and trade union agenda should the new Colombian government and Congress pursue? Here are some proposals - Equal Times - May 12th, 2022 [May 12th, 2022]
- Finland's hugely exciting experiment in basic income ... - December 27th, 2021 [December 27th, 2021]
- Get creative to help artists through pandemic - The Guardian - February 11th, 2021 [February 11th, 2021]
- BC has better tools than universal basic income to create a more just society, report finds - UBC News - February 1st, 2021 [February 1st, 2021]
- Universal basic income has time come for it? Debate intensifies in pandemic - WRAL Tech Wire - December 3rd, 2020 [December 3rd, 2020]
- Basic income for all: Has the Covid crisis given us a new economic model? - The Irish Times - December 3rd, 2020 [December 3rd, 2020]
- What is the Liveable Income Guarantee, and how could it affect you? - Yahoo Finance Australia - October 8th, 2020 [October 8th, 2020]
- Two Years of Duques Colombia: Deepening Neoliberalism, Increased Violence and a Public Health Crisis - NewsClick - August 13th, 2020 [August 13th, 2020]
- Why Kamala Harris VP pick could cost Biden the election - Fox Business - August 13th, 2020 [August 13th, 2020]
- Magic Reports Second Quarter and First Half 2020 Financial Results with Record-Breaking Operating Income of $9.8 million, reflecting a 22% Year Over... - August 13th, 2020 [August 13th, 2020]
- Why We Should Turn to Earned Income Tax Credit to Aid Those Struggling Through Pandemic - The National Interest - August 8th, 2020 [August 8th, 2020]
- Millions of America's working poor may lose out on key anti-poverty tax credit because of the pandemic - The Conversation US - August 7th, 2020 [August 7th, 2020]
- Could $50 a Week Empower High School Students to Set and Meet Education Goals? This New Orleans School Aims to Find Out - redlakenationnews.com - August 7th, 2020 [August 7th, 2020]
- Heres How We Remake the Economy - Common Dreams - August 5th, 2020 [August 5th, 2020]
- VOICE OF THE PEOPLE July 31, 2020 - TheChronicleHerald.ca - July 31st, 2020 [July 31st, 2020]
- Health unit calls for universal basic income - The North Bay Nugget - July 30th, 2020 [July 30th, 2020]
- Job guarantee program could bolster economy more than ... - July 27th, 2020 [July 27th, 2020]
- The Gray Market: Why the Entire Art World Should Back Canadian Arts Workers Push for Universal Basic Income (and Other Insights) - artnet News - July 26th, 2020 [July 26th, 2020]
- Extra $600 unemployment benefits set to expire this weekend - WKOW - July 25th, 2020 [July 25th, 2020]
- Why Now is the Time to ACT on KUB - SACE - Clean Energy News - July 25th, 2020 [July 25th, 2020]
- What is Basic Income? | Guaranteed Universal Basic Income - July 25th, 2020 [July 25th, 2020]
- ECLAC calls for urgent regional cooperation beyond the pandemic to foster more integration and avert a food crisis - Dominican Today - July 25th, 2020 [July 25th, 2020]
- 'A recovery that puts people first': A group of young Australians is demanding a government job guarantee to fight both soaring unemployment and... - July 24th, 2020 [July 24th, 2020]
- Analysis: Behind the legal maneuvering in the Reclaim Idaho initiative - Idaho EdNews - July 24th, 2020 [July 24th, 2020]
- In the wake of Covid-19, time to consider basic income: Senate report - Investment Executive - July 21st, 2020 [July 21st, 2020]
- COVID-19 on P.E.I.: What's happening Tuesday, July 14 - CBC.ca - July 21st, 2020 [July 21st, 2020]
- COVID-19 on P.E.I.: What's happening Monday, July 13 - CBC.ca - July 20th, 2020 [July 20th, 2020]
- Lift Every Voice: The Urgency of Universal Civic Duty Voting - Brookings Institution - July 20th, 2020 [July 20th, 2020]
- Largest cities in Colombia reverse reopening as coronavirus threatens to collapse healthcare - Colombia Reports - July 17th, 2020 [July 17th, 2020]
- GST: The increase Australia doesn't have to have Monash Lens - Monash Lens - July 15th, 2020 [July 15th, 2020]
- Bogot returns to strict quarantine based on rotating localities as of July 13 - The City Paper Bogot - July 11th, 2020 [July 11th, 2020]
- Why a Universal Basic Income is the solution to inequity - Women's Agenda - June 22nd, 2020 [June 22nd, 2020]
- Crypto Experts Reveal Thoughts: How Will Bitcoin Perform After the COVID-19 Crisis Has Passed? - PRNewswire - June 22nd, 2020 [June 22nd, 2020]
- Interviews: Punks on Politics: Checking in with Mel Gagarin - Punknews.org - June 22nd, 2020 [June 22nd, 2020]
- COVID-19: UN agencies warn against rising hunger in Latin America and the Caribbean - UN News - June 22nd, 2020 [June 22nd, 2020]
- Universal Basic Income: Andrew Yang Was Pushing for It Long Before Coronavirus Pandemic - PopCulture.com - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]
- Coronavirus is a crisis for the developing world, but here's why it needn't be a catastrophe - The Guardian - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]
- Starvation in the time of Corona: momentum for the Universal Basic Dividend - DiEM25 - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]
- Adam Schiff Says Trump's Cult of the President Has Infected the Republican Party - Mother Jones - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]
- Common Arguments Against Basic Income Don't apply to the Emergency BI - Basic Income News - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- How a Basic Income And Jobs Guarantee Can Save The Economy From Coronavirus - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- I've lived through plenty of social shocks this time we must learn the lessons - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Coronavirus: Iain Duncan Smith says dont bring in universal basic income during pandemic as it would be disincentive to work - The Independent - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Solidarity Economicsfor the Coronavirus Crisis and Beyond - The American Prospect - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- We face a war against coronavirus and must mobilise accordingly | Free to read - Financial Times - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Beware of a lopsided lockdown - The Hindu - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Life, Liberty, and Basic Income | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - February 29th, 2020 [February 29th, 2020]
- Find ways to improve the revenue of farmers: Congress - The Hindu - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Eliminating Child Poverty With a Government Check - The New York Times - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Andrew Yang Expects 'Many' of His Supporters to Back Sanders in Iowa: We 'Have a Lot of Overlap' - Newsweek - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Trump to let states overhaul Medicaid for the poor, seeking to change Obamacare without legislation - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- P.E.I. groups say basic Income should not replace addictions, other supports - The Journal Pioneer - January 27th, 2020 [January 27th, 2020]
- 5 Psychological Forces That Turn People into Political Hacks | Aaron Pomerantz - Foundation for Economic Education - January 13th, 2020 [January 13th, 2020]
- WAYNE YOUNG: Island voices must be heard - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- The Guardian view on Finlands new PM: a different type of leadership - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- Basic Income as 40 Acres and a Mule - Basic Income News - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- 'Most Americans Don't Want To Work for the Federal Government' Says Andrew Yang, Trashing Federal Jobs Guarantee - Reason - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Democratic debate highlights: best and most substantive answers of the night - Vox.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Sanders: 'Damn right we will' have a job for every American | TheHill - The Hill - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Assembly Elections 2019: Why is the Congress evasive about NYAY scheme this poll season? - Moneycontrol.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Letter to the Editor: Universal basic income is inevitable as we head toward a fully automated society - The Post - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Democrats focus on some Midwestern issues at Westerville debate, a departure from past three forums - cleveland.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- New book reviews the Namibian Basic Income pilot - Basic Income News - October 1st, 2019 [October 1st, 2019]
- Quick notes from Basic Income Guarantee Panel - falicon.com - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- 'Hartz reforms': how a benefits shakeup changed Germany ... - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- Basic income could end food insecurity - Upstream - January 3rd, 2019 [January 3rd, 2019]
- Basic Income Guarantee - Your Right to Economic Security ... - November 8th, 2018 [November 8th, 2018]
- The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee ... - September 18th, 2018 [September 18th, 2018]
- Is a Basic Income Guarantee the Right Choice for Ontario? - June 27th, 2018 [June 27th, 2018]
- Basic Income Now | It's time for dignity for all - March 17th, 2018 [March 17th, 2018]
- 'Me too' and the basic income guarantee | Basic Income News - February 6th, 2018 [February 6th, 2018]
- Food shopping at dollar stores | Brantford Expositor - Brantford Expositor - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- How Cities Can Rebuild the Social Safety Net - CityLab - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]