Their voices ring like a call to action throughout the 24-page Vital Signs report, a thoughtprovoking reflection of how Islanders view their quality of life in 2019.
Overall, we measure up pretty well but through expert commentary, relevant data and most of all voices of Islanders, the report makes it clear theres still plenty of room for improvement. Voices like an anonymous participant in one of an Island-wide series of focus groups last summer who said diversity should be embraced and promoted.
While there is richness in the differing opinions, ideas and experiences that come with immigration and diversity, however, the participant said more still has to be done.
we need to fight fear, racism and bigotry with facts.
On the issue of poverty, an East Prince participant observed quality of life is based on more than income.
I tell my kids we are rich in love. Not everything is monetary value.
To fight poverty, the report offered possible solutions, among them, a basic income guarantee or livable wage, a fairer tax structure for lowincome Islanders and tying housing costs to income. Whats not needed is more study, said a Central Queens participant.
Weve been studying it to death and nothings happened.
The focus groups had plenty to say about housing. Clearly, some seniors are struggling.
Seniors cant leave their homes because theres nowhere to go, one participant said. They also cant leave hospitals because theres nowhere to go.
Again, there was no shortage of possible solutions, from intergenerational housing for seniors and students to more cooperative housing and publicprivate partnerships with more rental units geared to peoples income.
Under the theme Belonging and Leadership, some see a lack of meaningful input and participation into the planning process.
There are too many smart people with little sense who have never lived in rural P.E.I. making decisions, a participant from Eastern Kings suggested.
The perception of a widening rift between city and country, especially among rural Islanders, was addressed in a commentary by UPEI history professor Ed MacDonald. Although farm population continues to decline (3.1 per cent in 2016 compared to 63 per cent in 1931), he said it is agriculture that maintains the patchwork quilt that is intrinsic to Islanders quality of life.
And, he said, if the perception of two islands where there was once one cannot be bridged perception will become reality.
Health and well-being, of course, was a major issue addressed in all focus groups. Many participants called for a more collaborative approach to health care among government, practitioners and community, and to address the root causes of many health issues, like poverty and food insecurity, low educational levels, loneliness and lack of public transportation.
Money is nothing if you dont have health, an East Prince participant observed.
The Vital Signs report, a collaboration between the Community Foundation of P.E.I. and UPEIs Institute of Island Studies, offers a timely measure of Islanders wellness and quality of life.
Legislators would be well advised to carefully review the voices of those quoted in the report and to factor their observations into future decisions.
Voices like theirs should be at the forefront of the policy making process.
Wayne Young is a freelance writer living in Summerside.
Go here to read the rest:
- Income inequality in the United States - Wikipedia - January 5th, 2017 [January 5th, 2017]
- Basic Income as All-inclusive Democratic Subsidy - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- Basic income is superior to the job guarantee - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- CANADA: Over 10000 people have signed to support Basic Income - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- A response to 'The dangers of a basic income' - Basic Income News - February 7th, 2017 [February 7th, 2017]
- Ebay founder backs universal basic income test with $500000 pledge - Mashable - February 9th, 2017 [February 9th, 2017]
- OPINION: Human rights, basic needs - The Guardian - February 10th, 2017 [February 10th, 2017]
- Left-Wing America Steps Up Calls For Free Money, Jobs Guarantee - Daily Caller - February 10th, 2017 [February 10th, 2017]
- Guaranteed basic income proposed. - Bayshore Broadcasting News Centre - February 15th, 2017 [February 15th, 2017]
- World Economic Forum blog: Canada's basic income experiment will it work? - Basic Income News - February 16th, 2017 [February 16th, 2017]
- Expert: We Can Have Universal Basic Income and Jobs - Futurism - Futurism - February 18th, 2017 [February 18th, 2017]
- Ben Wray: Why both the right to work and the right not to work can set us free - CommonSpace - February 20th, 2017 [February 20th, 2017]
- VIDEO: Basic Income presentation at Meeting of the Minds Summit - Basic Income News - February 22nd, 2017 [February 22nd, 2017]
- Australia Needs A Universal Basic Income, And We Should Start ... - Huffington Post Australia - February 24th, 2017 [February 24th, 2017]
- A guaranteed income isn't the solution to widespread unemployment - Acton Institute (blog) - March 1st, 2017 [March 1st, 2017]
- Industry body bats for universal basic income for women - Times of India - March 8th, 2017 [March 8th, 2017]
- Basic Income in Argentine News - Basic Income News - March 10th, 2017 [March 10th, 2017]
- Basic-income guarantee is way to end poverty - Times Colonist - March 11th, 2017 [March 11th, 2017]
- Letters: Guaranteed income guarantees sloth - The Province - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Universal basic income: guarantee pay as way to improve quality of life - WatertownDailyTimes.com - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- About That Universal Basic Income Idea - FITSNews - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Basic income plan doable: Northern study - The Sudbury Star - June 6th, 2017 [June 6th, 2017]
- Study of Iran's basic income shows it did not harm employment - Basic Income News - June 7th, 2017 [June 7th, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - First Coast News - June 20th, 2017 [June 20th, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - KPNX 12 News TV - June 21st, 2017 [June 21st, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - 9NEWS.com - June 21st, 2017 [June 21st, 2017]
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income? - KHOU - June 24th, 2017 [June 24th, 2017]
- Net incomes under a Basic Income system - Basic Income News - July 1st, 2017 [July 1st, 2017]
- Basic Income Guarantee program moving forward for 2000 Lindsay residents - Kawartha Media Group - July 8th, 2017 [July 8th, 2017]
- UBI is just a bedtime story Elon Musk tells himself to help the super-wealthy sleep - Quartz - July 14th, 2017 [July 14th, 2017]
- NDP leadership candidate visits Guelph (8 photos) - GuelphToday - July 18th, 2017 [July 18th, 2017]
- Does Basic Income Solve Anything? Grasp the Arguments for and ... - Futurism - July 21st, 2017 [July 21st, 2017]
- Value in using tax system for basic income: Report - The Sudbury Star - July 21st, 2017 [July 21st, 2017]
- NEW ORLEANS, LA, US: Local basic income group begins to hold monthly meetings - Basic Income News - July 25th, 2017 [July 25th, 2017]
- More Calgarians struggle to feed their families over the summer months - CBC.ca - July 26th, 2017 [July 26th, 2017]
- Renfrew County dietitian recognized by board of health for provincial award - www.insideottawavalley.com/ - July 27th, 2017 [July 27th, 2017]
- EDITORIAL: Island needs dollars, not data, to cope with poverty - The Guardian - July 29th, 2017 [July 29th, 2017]
- DON PRIDMORE: Be careful what you wish for... - The Guardian - August 1st, 2017 [August 1st, 2017]
- Is a Well-Paying Job the next Entitlement Program? - Big Think (blog) - August 5th, 2017 [August 5th, 2017]
- Let's talk about a supplemental income - The Hindu - August 7th, 2017 [August 7th, 2017]
- Universal basic income proponent to speak in Boise - Idaho Press-Tribune - August 7th, 2017 [August 7th, 2017]
- Hashtag Trending Battery-free phone, Apple's China backlash - IT World Canada - August 10th, 2017 [August 10th, 2017]
- New Zealand Fabians host Basic Income panel - Basic Income News - August 13th, 2017 [August 13th, 2017]
- Universal Basic Infrastructure to help decrease India's poverty - Economic Times - August 14th, 2017 [August 14th, 2017]
- After lifting minimum wage, NDP government prepares to consult public about reducing poverty - Straight.com - August 16th, 2017 [August 16th, 2017]
- How Cities Can Rebuild the Social Safety Net - CityLab - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- Food shopping at dollar stores | Brantford Expositor - Brantford Expositor - August 24th, 2017 [August 24th, 2017]
- 'Me too' and the basic income guarantee | Basic Income News - February 6th, 2018 [February 6th, 2018]
- Basic Income Now | It's time for dignity for all - March 17th, 2018 [March 17th, 2018]
- Is a Basic Income Guarantee the Right Choice for Ontario? - June 27th, 2018 [June 27th, 2018]
- The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee ... - September 18th, 2018 [September 18th, 2018]
- Basic Income Guarantee - Your Right to Economic Security ... - November 8th, 2018 [November 8th, 2018]
- Basic income could end food insecurity - Upstream - January 3rd, 2019 [January 3rd, 2019]
- 'Hartz reforms': how a benefits shakeup changed Germany ... - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- Quick notes from Basic Income Guarantee Panel - falicon.com - January 28th, 2019 [January 28th, 2019]
- New book reviews the Namibian Basic Income pilot - Basic Income News - October 1st, 2019 [October 1st, 2019]
- Democrats focus on some Midwestern issues at Westerville debate, a departure from past three forums - cleveland.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Assembly Elections 2019: Why is the Congress evasive about NYAY scheme this poll season? - Moneycontrol.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Letter to the Editor: Universal basic income is inevitable as we head toward a fully automated society - The Post - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Democratic debate highlights: best and most substantive answers of the night - Vox.com - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Sanders: 'Damn right we will' have a job for every American | TheHill - The Hill - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- 'Most Americans Don't Want To Work for the Federal Government' Says Andrew Yang, Trashing Federal Jobs Guarantee - Reason - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- Basic Income as 40 Acres and a Mule - Basic Income News - October 16th, 2019 [October 16th, 2019]
- The Guardian view on Finlands new PM: a different type of leadership - The Guardian - December 15th, 2019 [December 15th, 2019]
- 5 Psychological Forces That Turn People into Political Hacks | Aaron Pomerantz - Foundation for Economic Education - January 13th, 2020 [January 13th, 2020]
- P.E.I. groups say basic Income should not replace addictions, other supports - The Journal Pioneer - January 27th, 2020 [January 27th, 2020]
- Trump to let states overhaul Medicaid for the poor, seeking to change Obamacare without legislation - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Find ways to improve the revenue of farmers: Congress - The Hindu - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Eliminating Child Poverty With a Government Check - The New York Times - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Andrew Yang Expects 'Many' of His Supporters to Back Sanders in Iowa: We 'Have a Lot of Overlap' - Newsweek - January 30th, 2020 [January 30th, 2020]
- Life, Liberty, and Basic Income | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - February 29th, 2020 [February 29th, 2020]
- Lockdown to fight coronavirus is going to hit most Indian workers very hard - Livemint - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Beware of a lopsided lockdown - The Hindu - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- We face a war against coronavirus and must mobilise accordingly | Free to read - Financial Times - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Coronavirus: Iain Duncan Smith says dont bring in universal basic income during pandemic as it would be disincentive to work - The Independent - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- Solidarity Economicsfor the Coronavirus Crisis and Beyond - The American Prospect - March 26th, 2020 [March 26th, 2020]
- I've lived through plenty of social shocks this time we must learn the lessons - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Common Arguments Against Basic Income Don't apply to the Emergency BI - Basic Income News - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- How a Basic Income And Jobs Guarantee Can Save The Economy From Coronavirus - The National Interest - March 31st, 2020 [March 31st, 2020]
- Starvation in the time of Corona: momentum for the Universal Basic Dividend - DiEM25 - May 9th, 2020 [May 9th, 2020]