The Digital Twin concept is steadily gaining groundin the product development worlda means of creating a virtual representation of physical assets, including modeling behaviorfor validation and test purposes. This process, which promises to reduce reliance on costly prototypes while accelerating time to market, is now starting to take root in the plant floor environment as a way to garner efficiencies for production and, in some cases, set the stage for predictive maintenance.
Unlike the product development space, where the definition is more universal, the concept of a digital twin varies among automation providers, depending on where their offerings fit in the automation stack. Some companies with deep roots in 3D CAD modeling like Dassault Systmes and Siemens see the digital twin as a way to define and optimize factory floor layout and production processes in a virtual world prior to putting physical assets in place and flipping the switch on production.
Other companies like Emerson Automation and Beckhoff consider the digital twin as a tool for validating and optimizing control systems and automation processes in the virtual worlda tactic that lends itself to a variety of use cases, including operator training and virtual commissioning. Other companies, like GE Digital, have a broad and ambitious game plan for the digital twin, leveraging it for everything from asset performance management to predictive and prescriptive maintenance, the latter combining a digital model with Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) connectivity, real-time operational and historical data, as well as machine learning and analytics.
In an entirely different interpretation, some players conflate the concept of a digital twin with virtualization, the now mainstream IT technology that abstracts operating systems, applications, networks and storage from the underlying hardware or software so the process is no longer dependent on a specific physical platform, allowing for greater flexibility and scale. For example, Wind River Titanium Control is an open standards-based, on-premise cloud infrastructure that creates a digital twin of a plants legacy equipment, allowing it to become a full participant in IIoT by creating a real-time data channel between the traditional physical controllers and automation systems and its virtual representation.
Despite the murkiness of the digital twin concept, one thing is clear: It doesnt constitute any one idea, any single set of simulations or analytics or even a specific product category. A digital twin is a whole set of analytics that look at different aspects of how an asset performs, says Matt Wells, general manager of automation software at GE Digital. What we found is not one analytics model has all the answers.
Twinning thesmart factory Currently, one of the more prominent use cases for the digital twin is validating plant floor layouts and simulating logistic processes as part of a digital manufacturing portfolio. At Dassault, the concept of a connected production digital twin is a virtual 3D replica of an actual physical structurerobots, conveyors, CNC machines and other plant floor assetsalong with a simulation of the actual production processes of a smart factory, according to Prashanth Mysore, portfolio technical director of digital manufacturing at Dassault.
Under pressure to improve quality and responsiveness, reduce costs and strive for continuous improvements, manufacturers have an opportunity with the production digital twin to react more responsively to various internal and external disruptive events driven by mass customization needs. Specifically, Mysore says, manufacturers embracing a digital twin strategy can increase productivity and manufacturing efficiency by reducing variability and synchronizing material. They can also improve quality and compliance by validating processes virtually to ensure they are right the first time in addition to running multiple what-if scenarios to analyze production options and ensure worker safety and productivity.
A 3D replica of the actual physical plant is not the end of the road for the digital twin, Mysore says. The digital twin is also used to connect production with materials management, quality processes, and labor and maintenance processes.
As part of its 3DExperience platform for global industrial operations, Dassault makes its version of the digital twin come to life through its Delmia digital manufacturing portfolio, which includes numerous simulation tools as well as manufacturing operations management (MOM) capabilities resulting from its Apriso acquisition and operations planning and optimization functionality from its buyout of Quintiq.
A digital twin or dynamic software representation of an entire plant or an offshore oil rig, for example, can serve a variety of use cases across an entire automation and process control project lifecycle, according to Ronnie Bains, business manager for dynamic simulation and process optimization at Emerson Automation Solutions. Emerson customers are leveraging digital twins to support the initial design of a facility, to build actual processes and control systems, and to understand whether what is being built can function at the proper throughput.
If youre doing something incorrectly and you dont have such simulation, you dont find out about the potential impact until much later in a projects process, Bains explains. With a digital twin, you can identify areas of concern and design flaws early on and fix them as opposed to when things are built out and its more expensive.
As part of its Multi-Purpose Dynamic Simulator systems, Emersons DeltaV Simulate capabilities allow companies to test control logic and operator graphics in a virtual commissioning scenario, minimizing potential errors and streamlining the startup process. The same technology can also be leveraged to assist in training operators in unique processes. The level to which the digital twin is applied varies from customer to customer, Bains says. For some, its just for training; for others, its the full lifecycle.
For its part, Beckhoff has assembled a set of tools for its TwinCAT automation suite that extends into the realm of digital twin, specifically for upfront virtual testing and commissioning. Via support for the vendor-neutral Functional Mock-up Interface (FMI), Beckhoff has created interfaces between its platform and popular model-based design and simulation tools like MathWorks Matlab and Simulink and Maplesofts MapleSim to allow for acquisition and visualization of real-time parameters while creating a closer connection between physical and digital models. The ability to import simulated code and run it directly on a physical system enables machine builders to test before setup, aiding in reliability and shortening time to market, according to Daymon Thompson, an automation specialist at Beckhoff.
At Rockwell Automation, the whole premise of the digital twin is to remove the need for the physical asset, whether its to test the actual hardware or control systems, notes Andy Stump, business manager for the companys software portfolio. Rockwells Studio 5000 Logix Emulate software enables users to validate, test and optimize application code independent of physical hardware while also allowing connectivity to third-party simulation and operator training systems to help teams simulate processes and train operators in a virtual environment.
In this context, a digital twin can be employed to provide a safer, more contextualized training environment that focuses on situational experience. It helps with emergency situations, starting up and shutting downthings you dont encounter ever day, Stump explains.
A digital twin of a control system created in the Logix Emulate tool could also be tapped for throughput analysis, Stump adds, ensuring, for example, that a packaging machine could handle a new form factor without having to actually bring down the machine to test the new design. Any time you take a machine out of production, its expensive, he says. If you can estimate that a machine is going to be down 60 percent of the time running what-if scenarios in a digital twin, theres a lot of money to be saved.
Moving forward, Rockwell will leverage new technologies such as virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) to enhance its vision for a digital twin. At the Hannover Fair in April, the company demonstrated a next-generation, mixed-reality virtual design experience using its Studio 5000 development environment with the Microsoft HoloLens VR headset.
For Siemens, the concept of a digital twin straddles both product design and production. In a production capacity, the digital twin exists as a common database of everything in a physical plantinstrument data, logic diagrams, piping, among other sourcesalong with simulation capabilities that can support use cases like virtual commissioning and operator training. Comos, Siemens platform for mapping out a plant lifecycle on a single data platform, and Simit, simulation software used for system validation and operator training, now have tighter integration to support more efficient plant engineering and shorter commissioning phases, says Doug Ortiz, process automation simulation expert for Siemens. In addition, Comos Walkinside 3D Virtual Reality Viewer, now with connectivity to the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality 3D glasses, enables a more immersive experience, allowing plant personnel to engage in realistic training and virtual commissioning exercises, he says.
Customers want to get plants from the design stage to up and running in the shortest period of time and these tools are paramount for that, Ortiz says. The digital twin is great to use for any plant for the lifecycle of that unique plant.
Improvedmaintenanceopportunities While most companies in the automation space are settling in with the digital twin for roles in operator training, virtual commissioning and optimization, there is still not a lot of activity leveraging the concept for predictive and preventive maintenance opportunities. The exception might be GE Digital, which is clearly pushing this use case as its long-term vision.
GE Digital sees four stages of analytics that will be impacted by digital twin and IoT:
GE Digital showed off a digital twin representation of a steam turbine to showcase what is possible in the areas of predictive and prescriptive maintenance at its Minds + Machines conference last November.
A digital twin is a living model that drives a business outcome, and this model gets real-time operational and environmental data and constantly updates itself, said Colin J. Parris, vice president of software research at GE Globals research center, during the presentation. It can predict failuresreduce maintenance costs and unplanned outages, andoptimize and provide mitigation of events when we have these types of failures.
Though the digital twin is certainly making headway in production, its still in its early days. Digital twin is definitely hot right now, but it really depends on what the customer is trying to achieve and what they are trying to model, says Bryan Siafakas, marketing manager in Rockwell Automations controller and visualization business, adding that its just a matter of time. There is a huge upside in terms of productivity savings and shortened development cycles.
- CMU team evaluates range and battery tradeoffs between vehicle automation and electrification - Green Car Congress - July 6th, 2020
- One third of Indigenous workers in Canada in jobs facing automation, says report - Turtle Island News - July 6th, 2020
- More sectors are turning to automation in a big way - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- Why automation will play a key role in the future of retail - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- The COVID-19 Impact On Intelligent Process Automation Market | Recent Study Including Growth Factors, Applications And Regional Analysis - 3rd Watch... - July 6th, 2020
- Analytics, automation startups gain as firms look to cut costs due to covid hit - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- Pharmaceutical Industry Automation Market Analysis & Technological Innovation by Leading Key Players - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Elementary Robotics raises $12.7 million to automate industrial inspections - VentureBeat - July 6th, 2020
- Automated shipping coming to Europe's waters - Horizon magazine - July 6th, 2020
- Article 22 of the GDPR Should Not Preclude Contemplated Automation - CircleID - June 21st, 2020
- How COVID-19 is set to speed up the adoption of automation technologies - YourStory.com - June 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Outbreak Briefly Derails Industrial Automation Motion Control System Hardware Market; Sales to Pick up Pace Once the Pandemic Begins to... - June 21st, 2020
- Escalating Demand for Top Industrial Automation Amid COVID-19 to Record Sharp Growth through Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- Extra Shot: Cloud Native and Automation - TelecomTV - June 21st, 2020
- Industrial Automation Software Market 2020 Emerging Trends and Technology Dassault Systmes, Wipro, Honeywell International, HCL Technologies,... - June 21st, 2020
- Business Process Automation Software Market (impact of COVID-19) Growth, Overview with Detailed Analysis 2020-2026| Microsoft, Oracle, IBM,... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Tunnel Automation Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Global Assembly Automation Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players FANUC, ABB, Yaskawa, Kuka,... - June 21st, 2020
- Cisco Live Keynote: Focus on Health, Security, Automation, and Doing the Right Thing - IT Business Edge - June 21st, 2020
- Factory Automation Mechanical Component Market Segments, Opportunity, Growth and Forecast by End-use Industry - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- The 4 Types Of Future Companies As A Result Of Automation & AI - Forbes - June 9th, 2020
- Where the Pandemic Is Impacting Automation - Automation World - June 9th, 2020
- Automation reconciliation services are coming on leaps and bounds - Bobsguide - June 9th, 2020
- Looking to Automate Your Workplace? Here Are Some Things to Consider First - CMSWire - June 9th, 2020
- Prepare for the rise of the IT automation architect - TechTarget - June 9th, 2020
- What Apple Learned From Automation: Humans Are Better - The Information - June 9th, 2020
- Cannabis growers use technology and automation to cut costs and promote safety amid downturn, pandemic - Marijuana Business Daily - June 9th, 2020
- Valmet to supply automation to a gas clean-up system at Viridor's site in Scotland, UK - GlobeNewswire - June 9th, 2020
- Healthcare CFOs look to technology and automation for COVID-19 recovery - Healthcare Finance News - June 9th, 2020
- Increasing agility and efficiency with IT Process Automation - CIO Dive - June 9th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market: Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report by Product Types, And Applications Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Automation is advancing in federal acquisition - FCW.com - June 9th, 2020
- Hyper Intelligent Automation Spend by Global Enterprises Will Reach USD 4.7 Billion in 2020, Says Zinnov - PR Newswire India - June 9th, 2020
- Paving the Way to Automated Driving Technologies - MassTransitMag.com - June 9th, 2020
- Use these first principles to succeed with robotic process automation In 2020 - ZDNet - June 9th, 2020
- Escaping 'Pilot Purgatory,' Scaling Automation Across the Enterprise the Focus of ISG Talk - GlobeNewswire - June 9th, 2020
- PTC Extends Alliances with Rockwell Automation and Microsoft to Accelerate Value of Digital Transformation for Manufacturers - Business Wire - June 9th, 2020
- RelyComply Adds ID R&D's Passive Facial Liveness to its Automated Compliance Solution - GlobeNewswire - June 9th, 2020
- Robotic Process Automation in Healthcare Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026... - June 9th, 2020
- Tunnel Automation Market Analysis, Demand and Growth Forecast to 2030 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Don't be afraid of paint automation - Canadian Metalworking - May 25th, 2020
- Why Is Automation Of Utmost Importance Now? - Express Computer - May 25th, 2020
- A Case for Cooperation Between Machines and Humans - The New York Times - May 25th, 2020
- How Do AI and Smart Automation Impact Modern Testing and QA? - IoT For All - May 25th, 2020
- How is automation and predictive analysis changing banking? - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - May 25th, 2020
- IoT and automation help to save the world's honeybees - IT Brief Australia - May 25th, 2020
- Microsoft updates Teams with new automation and scheduling tools, NDI support for broadcasting and more - TechCrunch - May 25th, 2020
- Global Industrial Automation Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Emerson Electric, ABB, Accenture, Dassault Systmes, HCL... - May 25th, 2020
- Research Report with COVID-19 Forecasts - Healthcare IT Market 2020-2024 | Need for Automation Across Departments to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 25th, 2020
- Global Industrial Automation Control Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- ABB, Emerson Electric, Honeywell, Rockwell Automation,... - May 25th, 2020
- Global Automation Testing Tools Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Selenium, TestComplete, QMetry Automation Studio, Testim.io,... - May 25th, 2020
- Process Plant Automation Market, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2025 -... - Azizsalon News - May 25th, 2020
- Global Airport Logistic Process Automation Market Growth Rises By 20202026: Industry, Size, Demand, and Revenue - Cole of Duty - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global Water Automation and Instrumentation Market Research Report Released with growth, latest trends & forecasts till 2030... - May 25th, 2020
- Automated Industrial Quality Control Market Overview By Growing Demands, Trends And Business Opportunities 2020 To 2027 - 3rd Watch News - May 25th, 2020
- Lab Automation Market (Impact of COVID-19) 2020 by its Scientific Reviews and Key Side-Effects - Cole of Duty - May 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus threat to global AR (Accounts Receivable) Automation Software Market: Recent Industry Trends and Projected Industry Growth, 2019-2033 -... - May 25th, 2020
- Global Main Automation Contractor (MAC) Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- ABB, Yokogawa Electric, Rockwell Automation, Emerson... - May 25th, 2020
- Top areas affected by Coronavirus (COVID-19) on Distribution Feeder Automation System Market Share, Size, Trends and Opportunities 2020-2029 - 3rd... - May 25th, 2020
- Ready or not, the automation age is suddenly upon us - VentureBeat - April 26th, 2020
- ROI of Automated User Provisioning - Security Boulevard - April 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus Shows That Fears About Automation Are Overblown - The National Interest Online - April 26th, 2020
- Global Irrigation Automation Industry (2020 to 2025) - Featuring Netafim, Lindsay and Valmont Industries Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo... - April 26th, 2020
- Defense is Embracing Robotic Process Automation But It's Not Yet Scaling It - Nextgov - April 26th, 2020
- The first mistake: Confusing cool automation with useful automation - Biometric Update - April 26th, 2020
- How AI and automation could impact supply chain roles - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - April 26th, 2020
- Pre & Post COVID-19 Market Estimates-System Integration Services Market for Industrial Automation in India 2020-2024 | Evolving Opportunities with... - April 26th, 2020
- Steady Operations with Automation - HomeCare - April 26th, 2020
- Will COVID-19 Speed Up Tech Automation and Job Loss? - Dice Insights - April 26th, 2020
- AI and Automation Accelerating Synthetic Chemistry and Streamlining Drug Development - Technology Networks - April 26th, 2020
- Intelligent Automation Brings Light in the Dark World of COVID-19 - EnterpriseTalk - April 26th, 2020
- 5 Automation Hurdles All Marketers Need To Overcome - Forbes - April 26th, 2020
- Huge Growth Seen for Robotic Process Automation in Healthcare Market by 2020-2027 Profiling key players Blue Prism, Automation Anywhere, UiPath,... - April 26th, 2020
- Technology, with a human touch: Why humanistic automation is the future of marketing - Express Computer - April 26th, 2020
- Medical Automation Technologies Market: Indoor Applications Projected to be the Most Attractive Segment during 2020-2027 - Bandera County Courier - April 26th, 2020
- Form Automation Software Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- Creating an intelligent automation toolkit - KMWorld Magazine - April 26th, 2020
- Covid-19 is accelerating the use of automation - Inside Retail Asia - April 26th, 2020
- Using C# to automate web application testing in Edge with WebDriver - InfoWorld - April 26th, 2020
- Automation | Britannica - April 9th, 2020