For humans to survive the automation revolution, we need to double down on our humanity.
The argument goes like this: Artificial intelligence is getting better and better at automating things that humans do. Not just repetitive tasks like assembling parts in a factory, but complex tasks that have traditionally been the domain of humans. Pretty soon, these machine agents will take all the jobs. Humans need not apply.
Weve seen this movie play out beforeand after a gritty fight, we won. The advent of agriculture put hunters and gathers out of business. Then industrial farming put farmers out of business. But each time technology ate one type of jobs, new ones appeared to take their place. Human ingenuity did its thing, we adapted, and we survived to live (and work) another century.
But, say the naysayers, this time is different. Were not talking about dumb machines programmed to do very specific taskswere talking about AIs that learn and get better by watching us and parsing our data for patterns. Globally networked AIs that learn and cooperate with each other will be very powerful, according to author and futurist Yuval Harari. In order to replace most humans, he says, the AI wont have to do very spectacular things.
I do not buy into that version of the future, and here are some reasons why.
AI is smart, but it really isnt as smart as we think. Its true that AI is getting better at tackling complex problems, but its equally true that AI is still not very good at doing many of the things associated with human jobs.
Automation will take away the parts of our jobs we dont like and leave room for more meaningful work.AIs have gotten pretty good at a believable facsimile of humanity in tightly controlled situationslike scheduling meetings. But a general-purpose AI that truly understands you and can respond with creativity and empathy, like the android Ava from Ex Machina? Not so much. AI isnt very good at jobs that require creativity, empathy, critical thinking, leadership, artistic expression, and a whole host of other qualities we traditionally think of as human. Which is why, according to Michael Chui of the McKinsey Global Institute, entire jobs or industries wont often be automated away.
Rather, automation will release humans from the need to perform specific tasks. Those will mostly be non-creative and non-personal tasks that can be broken down into relatively predictable parts. These are chores you didnt want to do to begin with. A lot of people arent hired to schedule meetings, submit receipts for reimbursements, or book flights, anywayfor a lot of folks, theyre just a dreadful set of tasks that came along with your otherwise pretty exciting job.
As venture capitalist Marc Andreessen points out, theres a subtext to the-robots-are-taking-our-jobs argument that is rarely discussed: It presupposes that humans are not smart enough to think up new industries and jobs.
But when industrialization killed the agriculture jobs that employed almost three quarters of the population, people dreamed up new ways to keep fellow humans working. We crisscrossed the country with highways. We took to the skies in flying machines. We built computers. We birthed entire industries around entertainment, healthcare, and education.
I have more faith in humans, and I have yet to see any real evidence to support the pessimism. As Andreessen says, people 100 years ago would marvel at the jobs we do today. The optimist in me finds it difficult to imagine why it will be any different 100 years from now.
AI can seem dystopian because its easier to describe existing jobs disappearing than to imagine industries that never existed appearing, tweeted Box CEO Aaron Levie. Hes right. Theres just no compelling reason to bet against humans when the past 200 years of history shows that were pretty damn good at adapting to technological change.
Not only havent we reached our full potential, but AI can help us reach higher. The debate between artificial intelligence (machines replace us) vs intelligence augmentation (machines help us) has been raging for decades. One side wants to engineer humans out of the equation, while the other thinks the role of machines is to help people perform better.
AI will make us better at our jobs, and better at being human.But that debate misses the point. The two ideas arent mutually exclusive. Its true that AI can do certain things far better than humansIve staked my entrepreneurial future on that. But its also true that when AI starts doing those things, it will make us better at our jobs, and better at being human.
Take a job in sales, for example. Right now, a sales assistant likely spends a lot of time doing things that could be automated: prospecting for and qualifying leads, sending follow-up emails, updating Salesforce, building reports, etc. Once all thats taken over by intelligent machine agents, whats left for you as a salesperson? Its the emotional and creative stuff. Youll spend your day building relationships and serving your clients with creative solutions to their problems. By freeing you from the mundane tasks you used to have to do, often grudgingly, AI will let you focus on things that form the core of your job: the stuff that only you, a human, can do.
This is already happening. Lets stick with the sales example. My companys AI assistant, Amy, removes the tedious task of scheduling meetings from your plate. A sales-specific assistant like Tact automatically captures sales data, reducing administrative load, and then Troops.ai automates the process of organizing it in Salesforce. When it comes time to communicate with leads, Crystal builds personality profiles based on social-media use and suggests ways to personalize your messages. These AI assistants are helping salespeople today by augmenting their existing skills and allowing them to focus on the human side of the job.
One implication of all this is that for humans to succeed in the AI-powered future, we need to double down on our humanity. Technical skills will no doubt remain important in the future of work, but as AI allows us to automate repetitive tasks across many industries, these will in many cases take a back seat to soft skills. Communication, emotional intelligence, creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and cognitive flexibility will become the most sought-after abilities. To prepare for that future, we need to emphasize developing higher-order thinking and emotional skills.
While our formal education system catches up to the shifting definition of human intelligence, here are three basic ideas for improving your prospects in the future of work.
I see a bright future for humans. In fact, I believe there will be plenty of challenging work for humans because of AI, not in spite of it. I build AI agents for a living, but when it comes to creativity and innovation, Ill continue to bet on humans. Well come through with new ideas, new industries, and new ways to keep ourselves busy and productive, this time buttressed by AI helpers. Our imagination will carry us forward. It always does.
Learn how to write for Quartz Ideas. We welcome your comments at email@example.com.
- Toyota moves Lexus LS to a higher level of automation - Automotive News - July 13th, 2020
- We are using automation to help distressed clients - Livemint - July 13th, 2020
- Why automation will underpin the future of channel management - ARNnet - July 13th, 2020
- Global Robotic Process Automation in BFSI Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a... - July 13th, 2020
- Explosion Proof Equipment in Automation and Control Systems Market 2020 Projections, Growth Opportunities, Trends, Companies Strategies and Forecast... - July 13th, 2020
- Perceived Weakness In ABB Robotics And Discrete Automation - Seeking Alpha - July 13th, 2020
- VA Wants to Automate Digitization of its 5-Mile-High Electronic Health Record Backlog - Nextgov - July 13th, 2020
- Global Refining Industry Automation and Software Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025... - July 13th, 2020
- We are on a journey from automation to autonomy - Livemint - July 13th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Automation Software Market New Innovations, Technology Growth and Research 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Automation After Services and Outsourcing Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And... - July 13th, 2020
- Global AR Automation Software Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of xx%... - July 13th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Motion Control System Hardware Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies... - July 13th, 2020
- Value of Marketing Automation Software Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2017 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Azmin: M'sia flooded with foreign workers, must shift to automation - The Star Online - July 13th, 2020
- Banking Automation and Roboadvisors Market 2019: Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects and Forecast 2024 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Accounts Payable Automation Software Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up... - July 13th, 2020
- Lab Automation Market to Make Great Impact in near Future by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 13th, 2020
- Automation Solutions in Oil and Gas Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2024 - Cole of Duty - July 13th, 2020
- Three Misconceptions, And One Popular Lie, About Industrial Automation - Forbes - July 12th, 2020
- Medical Automation Market Analyzed in a New Research Study - Cole of Duty - July 12th, 2020
- Postal Automation Market Future Challenges and Industry Growth Outlook 2024 - Cole of Duty - July 12th, 2020
- Industrial Automation Market Research Report: Know Market Dynamics, Opportunities and Risks 2027 - CueReport - July 12th, 2020
- Healthcare Automation Market: Global Industry Analysis and Forecast 2020-2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 12th, 2020
- Workload Scheduling and Automation Software Market to Witness Robust Expansion by 2026 with Top Key Players like IBM, CA Technologies, ASG... - July 12th, 2020
- What Is RPA in Government and How You Can Implement It Today? - FedTech Magazine - July 12th, 2020
- TOP 10 Home Automation Systems In 2020 - Forbes India - July 12th, 2020
- Multifunction Home Automation System Touch Screen to Witness Increase in Revenues by 2019-2037 - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- This automated time-tracking app is on sale for almost 40% off - Mashable - July 12th, 2020
- More sectors are turning to automation in a big way - Livemint - July 12th, 2020
- Logistics Automation Software Developing Market Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players Honeywell Intelligrated, Swisslog, Knapp AG,... - July 12th, 2020
- Automation Testing Market 2020 Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, And Forecast To 2028 - Market Research Publicist - July 12th, 2020
- Global Invoice Automation Software Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a CAGR of... - July 12th, 2020
- Global Automation Solutions in Shale Gas Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019-2024 - Cole of Duty - July 12th, 2020
- Electrical & Automation System Market: The report gives immense knowledge on the competitive nature of key players - 3rd Watch News - July 12th, 2020
- Automated Truck Market 2019 By Demand Services, Developments, Advancements, Application, Platforms Types, Industry Growth Drivers and Geographical... - July 12th, 2020
- Global Business Process Automation (BPA) Market is accounted for xx USD million in 2019 and is expected to reach xx USD million by 2025 growing at a... - July 12th, 2020
- Aidrivers founding member discusses AI, automation, and its challenges - Port Technology International - July 11th, 2020
- Todos Medical Expands Extraction Reagent and ANDiS 350 Extraction Automation Capacity to Support COVID-19 Testing in the USA - BioSpace - July 11th, 2020
- Factory Automation Market Estimated to Expand at a Robust CAGR over 2020-2027 | ABB, Emerson Electric Company, Fanuc Corporation, GE Company - Cole of... - July 11th, 2020
- Metrics and Automation Can Improve Federal Cybersecurity Measures - BroadbandBreakfast.com - July 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Automation Position Sensor Market Projection By Key Players, Status, Growth, Revenue, SWOT Analysis Forecast Outlook 2026 -... - July 11th, 2020
- Intel's automated inventory planning: How it swapped 'rule-of-thumb' for algorithms - Supply Chain Dive - July 11th, 2020
- AR Automation Software Market (COVID-19 UPDATED) Growing Trend and Regional Analysis by: Sage Intacct, SAP, Invoiced, Accounting Seed - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Global CLINICAL DIAGNOSTICS AUTOMATION Market 2020 : Worldwide Overview by Industry Size and Share, Future Trends, Growth Factors and Leading Players... - July 11th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 Outbreak On Oil and Gas Process Automation and Instrumentation Market 2020 Trends, Growth Opportunities, Demand, Application, Top... - July 11th, 2020
- COS Systems Ready to Automate Open Access Networks as a Nokia Connected Partner - Broadband Communities - July 11th, 2020
- Global Sales of Oil and Gas Terminal Automation Market to Follow a Downward Trend Post 2026, with Co - PharmiWeb.com - July 11th, 2020
- Opinion: Does automation have a role to play in the next normal? - The PIE News - July 11th, 2020
- Todos Medical Expands Extraction Reagent and ANDiS 350 Extraction Automation Capacity to Support COVID-19 Testing in the USA - GlobeNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- Managing Digital Transformation from Automated to Autonomous Operations - ARC Viewpoints - July 11th, 2020
- Global Machine Automation Controllers Market Analysis and Forecast 2027- including drivers, constraints, intimidation, challenges, opportunities, and... - July 11th, 2020
- Futureproof Tugs: Efficient, Sustainable and Automated - MarineLink - July 11th, 2020
- The Economic Impact of Coronavirus on Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Market: Expansion Strategies Set to Generate Substantial Revenue in the near... - July 11th, 2020
- Webinar on Automated Trucking, Collision Repair Industry Survey - Heavy Duty Trucking - July 11th, 2020
- Industrial Gearbox Market 2020-2024 | Adoption of Industrial Automation to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - July 10th, 2020
- Automation is the key for firms in building resilience - Livemint - July 10th, 2020
- Big Boom in Irrigation Automation Market Projected Industry Growths to 2027 | Galcon, Hunter Industries, Irritec SpA - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Automation arrives at manufacturing business | TheBusinessDesk.com - The Business Desk - July 10th, 2020
- Applications, Technological and Growth Factors Analysis related with Library Automation System Market - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- Banking Automation & Roboadvisors Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis and Forecast Report Up To 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 10th, 2020
- CMU team evaluates range and battery tradeoffs between vehicle automation and electrification - Green Car Congress - July 6th, 2020
- One third of Indigenous workers in Canada in jobs facing automation, says report - Turtle Island News - July 6th, 2020
- Why automation will play a key role in the future of retail - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- The COVID-19 Impact On Intelligent Process Automation Market | Recent Study Including Growth Factors, Applications And Regional Analysis - 3rd Watch... - July 6th, 2020
- Analytics, automation startups gain as firms look to cut costs due to covid hit - Livemint - July 6th, 2020
- Pharmaceutical Industry Automation Market Analysis & Technological Innovation by Leading Key Players - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Elementary Robotics raises $12.7 million to automate industrial inspections - VentureBeat - July 6th, 2020
- Automated shipping coming to Europe's waters - Horizon magazine - July 6th, 2020
- Article 22 of the GDPR Should Not Preclude Contemplated Automation - CircleID - June 21st, 2020
- How COVID-19 is set to speed up the adoption of automation technologies - YourStory.com - June 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Outbreak Briefly Derails Industrial Automation Motion Control System Hardware Market; Sales to Pick up Pace Once the Pandemic Begins to... - June 21st, 2020
- Escalating Demand for Top Industrial Automation Amid COVID-19 to Record Sharp Growth through Pandemic - Medic Insider - June 21st, 2020
- Extra Shot: Cloud Native and Automation - TelecomTV - June 21st, 2020
- Industrial Automation Software Market 2020 Emerging Trends and Technology Dassault Systmes, Wipro, Honeywell International, HCL Technologies,... - June 21st, 2020
- Business Process Automation Software Market (impact of COVID-19) Growth, Overview with Detailed Analysis 2020-2026| Microsoft, Oracle, IBM,... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Tunnel Automation Industry Market Insights, Opportunity, Analysis, Market Shares & Forecast 2020 2027 - 3rd Watch News - June 21st, 2020
- Global Assembly Automation Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players FANUC, ABB, Yaskawa, Kuka,... - June 21st, 2020
- Cisco Live Keynote: Focus on Health, Security, Automation, and Doing the Right Thing - IT Business Edge - June 21st, 2020
- Factory Automation Mechanical Component Market Segments, Opportunity, Growth and Forecast by End-use Industry - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020