By Msgr. Brian Bransfield Catholic News Service Posted September 17, 2019
Why Celibacy? Reclaiming the Fatherhood of the Priest by Father Carter Griffin. Emmaus Road Publishing (Steubenville, Ohio, 2019). 215 pp., $24.95.
When reading Father Carter Griffins book Why Celibacy? this summer, I repeatedly had to close it and think of my father.
It may seem odd that my first (and repeated) personal reference while reading a book about celibacy was of a married man with five children.
I think of my dad every day, of course, these 26 years after his death. But when reading Father Griffins book, I had to put it down a lot to think of my dad.
Father Griffin, the rector of St. John Paul II Seminary in Washington, has written a book that takes us deeply into the subject of clerical celibacy, but it also is a reflection on spiritual fatherhood.
Why Celibacy traces a path through the depths of sacred Scripture, the fathers of the church, the scholastics and modern scholars to tell the story of how genuine, freely chosen celibate love generates a celibate spiritual fatherhood that is always new and never grows tired. Celibacy is a generous response to a supernatural fatherhood in the order of grace. Grace builds on nature and so, while reading these pages on the supernatural capacity of celibate love, I naturally thought of my dad.
My dad lifted burdens from the backyard, to work, to family life. He lifted burdens I can only now begin to understand, a quarter of a century after he died. He gave things up, and he loved his wife and children to the point that sacrifice and endurance were cruciform ways of life for him. He didnt cut corners. He refused himself a lot. He made no excuses, and he had a fathers wisdom.
When reading Father Griffins book, I thought of how my dad taught me about the light to get up early in the morning and begin the day as the sun came up, because an hour in the morning is worth two at night. Watch for the light, hed say. Dont cut corners.
Father Griffins work doesnt cut corners either. Why Celibacy? takes the reader in an accessible way along academic theological foundations and illumines with precision the vital link between celibacy and fatherhood.
From there, Father Griffins book guides us to the light, away from the traps of clericalism, narcissism (and its undernoted calling card, delusional grandiosity) and similar detours, to show us how important formation for celibacy is in seminaries. And it is here that Why Celibacy? can make its contribution.
The book is helpful as a launching pad providing a new beginning to reconsider fatherhood from deeper places. The four areas of priestly formation come to mind: the intellectual, the spiritual, the pastoral and the human. An indispensable next step to Father Griffins book, across the field of formation in seminaries and ongoing formation, is to further develop human formation for celibacy from an emotional perspective. That is, to do human formation for healthy and holy celibacy emotionally, as well as intellectually, spiritually and pastorally. Grace builds and transforms on nature; it doesnt supplant it or override it.
This work leads to reflection on many aspects of the celibate life, including when things go wrong. It seems that, along with significant spiritual causes, a repeated major contributor to terrible scandals and betrayals lies deep along the fault line of men who promised celibacy but made a choice not to live chastity on a mature human, emotional level. They found themselves living a double life. And it is not likely that this double life arose simply due to a deficient intellectual understanding of celibacy or chastity.
The double life arose because of a pronounced deficit of human formation for celibacy on an emotional level. This absence gave systematic license to a life of impulsivity around emotional triggers even while the perpetrators may have portrayed an academic understanding of celibacy. These men simply could refuse themselves nothing.
A double life doesnt begin overnight as a double life. It begins early as a series of incremental failures. And the fuel of a double life is the repeated inability to navigate emotional triggers and to talk oneself (and others) into compromises and excuses that somehow the compromises are OK. Theyre not.
Father Griffin reminds us why. He reminds of healthy men who lived their vocation well those married men, celibate men and mentors. He reminds us of the light. For that we owe him a debt of gratitude. He reminded me of my father. For that I am very grateful.
Also of interest: You Shall Be a Blessing: Twelve Letters on the Priesthood by Cardinal Gerhard Muller. Ave Maria Press (Notre Dame, Indiana, 2019). 224 pp., $17.95.
Msgr. Bransfield is the author of The Human Person: According to John Paul II and is general secretary of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Read more from the original source:
- Summer solstice spiritual meaning: What does the summer solstice mean in astrology? - Express.co.uk - June 20th, 2020
- Testing faith: Spirituality in the face of tragedy and COVID-19 in Nova Scotia - TheChronicleHerald.ca - June 20th, 2020
- Finding spiritual light in a lonely place - The Daily Universe - Universe.byu.edu - June 20th, 2020
- Stories and Spirituality Are Driving Passions for Confrontation Theatre's Artistic Director - Willamette Week - June 20th, 2020
- What is the spiritual meaning of the heart? - Aleteia IT - June 20th, 2020
- A Chance to Recharge Mentally, Spiritually and Emotionally - The New York Times - June 20th, 2020
- Young Adventist Wins Second Place in 'Voice of Bulgaria' With Spiritual Song - Adventist Review - June 20th, 2020
- International Yoga Day: The relevance of yoga and the benefits of incorporating it for spiritual growth - Times Now - June 20th, 2020
- Is Being Religious and LGBTQ+ Mutually Exclusive? - Advocate.com - June 20th, 2020
- Catholic composer David Haas accused of 'sexual battery' and 'spiritual manipulation' - Catholic News Agency - June 20th, 2020
- Kunal Kapoor: I think technology changes the world outside and spirituality changes the world inside - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Happy Monday 06/15 by The Power of Love Radio | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - June 20th, 2020
- Transported across the centuries at the feast day festival at the Baptistery of St John in Florence, Italy - Catholic Leader - June 20th, 2020
- International Day of Yoga 2020: A Brief History of This Spiritual Discipline And The Art of Living Healthy - India.com - June 20th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Physical, Spiritual and Emotional Health - GoLocal Worcester - June 20th, 2020
- Spirits over spirituality? |India Today Insight - India Today - June 1st, 2020
- Spirituality - June 1st, 2020
- Vatican official: Racism is 'spiritual' virus that must be wiped out - Catholic News Service - June 1st, 2020
- Are you a good spiritual mother to your children and your loved ones? - Aleteia EN - June 1st, 2020
- Joan of Arcs spiritual life propelled her to martyrdom - Aleteia IT - June 1st, 2020
- Why, More Than Ever, We Need Nurses as Spiritual Comforters - CBN News - June 1st, 2020
- SOMETHING TO CONSIDER: We cultivate our spiritual life - Herald-Banner - June 1st, 2020
- LETTERS: Connecting spiritual communities important, but only in safe ways - Sentinel Colorado - June 1st, 2020
- ELDER: Dealing with the reality of an unseen spiritual realm - Rockdale Newton Citizen - June 1st, 2020
- Informative New Book Answers Important Questions Around Politics and Climate Change as Related to the Spiritual World - GlobeNewswire - June 1st, 2020
- Religious, spiritual services allowed to continue in person as Washington state counties reopen - KUOW News and Information - June 1st, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: June 2020 - Publishers Weekly - June 1st, 2020
- Tending to Your Spiritual Well-Being - KSRO - June 1st, 2020
- This is what were for: LAPD officers call in spiritual backup during pandemic - Angelus News - June 1st, 2020
- National Philoptochos Responds With A Multi-Pronged Approach to Provide Financial, Emotional, Spiritual and Loving Support to Individuals and Families... - June 1st, 2020
- While some try to politicize wearing face masks, for me it's a spiritual practice - Baptist News Global - June 1st, 2020
- Our view: BSA spiritual care team among local heroes on front lines of virus battle - Amarillo.com - June 1st, 2020
- On the spirituality of quarantine - The Christian Century - May 15th, 2020
- Motherhood and spirituality - The Catholic Sun - May 15th, 2020
- Eustace Was a Dragon All Along: Aslan and Spiritual Growth in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- The spiritual modernist and iconoclast - Times of Malta - May 15th, 2020
- Fight and win the spiritual battle | Faith | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - May 15th, 2020
- Launch of Center for Spiritual Imagination hailed as 'exactly what is needed in these times' - Episcopal News Service - May 15th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: We all must do our part - Wicked Local - May 15th, 2020
- AMERICAN THEATRE | Tom Key: A Spiritual Connection - American Theatre - May 15th, 2020
- In It Together! 05/14 by Angel Talk Cafe | Spirituality - BlogTalkRadio - May 15th, 2020
- Army Chaplains Getting Creative in Helping Soldiers with Personal, Emotional and Spiritual Challenges - CBN News - May 15th, 2020
- Doctor's Orders: The value of purpose and spiritual health - Daily Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Wong Kar-Wais In the Mood for Love Spiritual Sequel Back on Track with New Filming Plans - IndieWire - May 15th, 2020
- Which qualities of Lord Hanuman should be in a Spiritual Master? - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- What Is The Spiritual Meaning Of Angel Numbers 1010 - YourTango - May 15th, 2020
- Front-line workers receive 'spiritual' boost with blessing of the hands - Long Island Catholic - May 15th, 2020
- I provide spiritual care at a Seattle hospital. Here's what that means during the coronavirus pandemic - KUOW News and Information - May 15th, 2020
- The beauty of spiritual motherhood, according to John Paul II - Aleteia IT - May 15th, 2020
- Free Webinar: Spiritual Discovery: How you can better the world" - Patch.com - May 15th, 2020
- Just Call Me Pastor: Strengths of head, heart and hand - La Grande Observer - May 15th, 2020
- The spirituality of science - Economic Times - May 9th, 2020
- Pope warns against spiritual mafias that blind the soul to God - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual Care at the Front Lines of the Pandemic - Sojourners - May 9th, 2020
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Spiritual Wellness - Lasentinel - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Jesus meets us wherever we are - NorthcentralPa.com - May 9th, 2020
- Spiritually speaking: The inherent power of humility | Religion - The Philadelphia Tribune - May 9th, 2020
- Our emotional, spiritual, financial and physical health depends on safely reopening Washington now - The Reflector - May 9th, 2020
- Abandoned but never forgotten Millmoor the spiritual home of the Millers - Yorkshire Post - May 9th, 2020
- Word of the Week: Yogi, a word for the spiritually wise - Hindustan Times - May 9th, 2020
- Spirituality at the core of sax greats sound - Mail and Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Coronavirus Is Good News for the Wellness Industry - VICE UK - May 3rd, 2020
- What does it mean to be spiritually blind? - Journal Review - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello, this is... podcast | Gaur Gopal Das on spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Hello! This is... | Spirituality in times of a global pandemic - Moneycontrol.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Health and compassion for the mind and spirit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - May 3rd, 2020
- In this episode, The Filter taps into the spiritual - Flatland - May 3rd, 2020
- Spirituality and Reading.. On The Hangout Hour - hcam.tv - May 3rd, 2020
- The Spiritual Treadmill - The Sunday Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Pentecostals and the spiritual war against coronavirus in Africa - The Conversation Africa - May 3rd, 2020
- With knowledge from past outbreaks, many Indigenous people return to traditional medicines - Winnipeg Free Press - May 3rd, 2020
- Plan ahead for how you will continue working on your spiritual life once the lockdown is lifted - Aleteia EN - May 3rd, 2020
- What spiritual retreats can teach us about the challenges of lockdown - The Conversation UK - May 3rd, 2020
- Building Spiritual Readiness in the Time of COVID-19 - United States Army - April 15th, 2020
- NCR readers share how they keep spiritually grounded, part three - National Catholic Reporter - April 15th, 2020
- Stay Safe by Practicing Religion and Spirituality from Home - Merrillfotonews - April 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Spiritual Life | Dale M. Coulter - First Things - April 15th, 2020
- Spiritual Health Matters in the COVID-19 Crisis - MedicineNet - April 15th, 2020
- Chaplains and Spiritual Care in Hospitals During the Coronavirus Pandemic - The New Yorker - April 15th, 2020
- Special Report: Welcome to the New Age of Spiritual Luxury - Highsnobiety - April 15th, 2020