18th Sep 19 | Lifestyle
Gwyneth Paltrows go-to healer is bringing out a new book to help readers tap into their spiritual side. Just dont call him a guru, says Liz Connor.
Grandma, download more medicine into her body, says Shaman Durek, as he asks the spirit world to rid my body of all the bad juju its been harbouring from years of London living. When you hear a command like this being bellowed into the ether, you know whats coming next isnt going to be your average encounter.
Im lying on a massage bed at a trendy wellbeing spa in the heart of Londons swanky Knightsbridge, as Shaman Durek works with the spirit world to clear my energy.
It youre thinking this has Goop written all over it, youd be right Durek is a sixth-generation shaman who counts Hollywood megastars, like Gwyneth Paltrow and Selma Blair, as clients.
Since discovering his gift at the age of six, Durek has travelled the world using his tools and knowledge to help create a bridge between the physical and spiritual world for burned-out celebs, royals and CEOs. Now, hes brought out a new book on the subject Spirit Hacking:Shamanic Keys To Reclaim Your Personal Power, Transform Yourself, And Light Up the World.
In the age of Instagram, the word shaman gets thrown about quite a lot. But at its essence, a shaman is thought to be able to communicate with spirit guides and ancestors to bring back valuable information to heal the body.
Historically, its often associated withindigenousandtribal societies, who believe that shamans have a connection to the otherworld, alongside the power to heal the sick, communicate with spirits and send your soul to the afterlife using different kinds of natural energy.
Durek is a kind of shaman for the modern go-getter, if you will. Ive created my own shamanic lexicon, he tells me. He uses all kinds of commands to get my vibrational frequencies fired up, that sound half like Im undergoing an exorcism and half like Im on the operating table. Spirits, direct fire into the belly, Spirits, bring more saliva into the throat to rid the black tar, Spirits, lets shock her body at 500, to quote a few.
I always knew that London living could be a little soul-destroying all that anger at transport delays, crowds and rent hikes cant be good for me but on the fifth round of expelling the black tar through my mouth, I start to worry that Ive irreparably destroyed not just my physical health, but my metaphysical one too.
Reassuringly, Durek grabs my arm, tells me Im doing great and says the spirits have done their business in clearing out my body.
His method, spiritual hacking, is all about fostering happiness, or has he calls it feeling lit.
Im the ambassador of all things LIT! he says with a laugh.
Lit to me is feeling excited about life. Dont you want to feel that? Why do you wanna go [to] therapy for 40 years, instead of going for a picnic on the beach with friends and have great conversation? Do something that inspires you to be even greater than you are. This is what spirit hacking is about.
Durek is a truly fascinating person. I dont know what I was expecting, but it probably veered towards the long white robes and incense stick-burning stereotype of a mystical elder. Instead, he wears checked Vans slip-ons, with blue jeans and a T-shirt.
People think Im going to be coming in chanting and shaking maracas, he jokes, but most shamans dont dress like that. He was bullied at school for his gift and fell into drugs and alcohol abuse at a young age but now at 44, hes built a career on spiritual healing with an Instagram following of 134K devotees.
Incidentally, he hates the word guru. I am not your Gucci bag, I am not your crutch, I am not your saviour, I am not your guru, he says.
Im just a human being like everyone else, I have my own issues that Im supporting and bringing love to. You cannot be dependent on me, because it makes you weak.
His mission, he says, is to give people the tools so they can manage and control their own positive energy. Looking at the spiritual community and all these self-help books that people are doing, [theyre] coming from this energy of you dont have the power, I have the power buy my next book.
Mine is more like, Im giving you a book to remind you of your powers. To let you know you have the power and give you tools to step back in that power.
I believe in people being self-independent and self-preserving. I think society has fallen out of that because everyone is looking for someone to fix it for them. Theyre still looking for their mommy and daddy to look after them. I think we need to become more spiritually mature.
Durek says that when you have that power in your hands, you can start communicating, talking and learning about your own intuition when you trust yourself, you make great decisions in life.
His final diagnosis of me is that I get overwhelmed when I have too many pots on the boil (true), I get stressed easily (also true), and I often put barriers up in my relationships when Im trying to spin a bunch of plates (nail on the head).
Some of the methodology gets a little too Goop for me, like programming the energy to burn fat in the body, or that good energy can help you to avoid cancer. Theres certain imprints that women get inside of their vaginas when they have too many sexual partners that they need to clean out I give exercises for that, Durek tells me matter-of-factly.
But the essence of his method is knowing yourself better, without needing validation from other people or material objects, and I think theres something incredibly valid in that. Even the biggest sceptic could agree.
Did Dureks Grandma rid me of my spiritual demons? Who knows, but I do feel deeply relaxed after an hours session on the table.
As Shaman Durek puts on his shades and exits into his Uber, we share a long hug. I think about everything hes said to me the fact I take on too much, get overwhelmed and push away those closest to me out of frustration.
Whether youre a spiritual believer or not, Im left with a lot to think about on the way back the office, and in a way, having someone voice the issues youve been holding on to for so long is the most healing thing of all.
Spirit Hacking:Shamanic Keys To Reclaim Your Personal Power, Transform Yourself, And Light Up The World is published by Hodder & Stoughton on October 17, priced 14.99.
Press Association 2019
See more here:
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local Westwood - January 5th, 2020
- Expanding the physical and spiritual in Swansea space - Fall River Herald News - January 5th, 2020
- Fruit Of The Spirit, According To Galatians 5 - YourTango - January 5th, 2020
- Practices and spiritual world of Jhakri in Nepal - Khabarhub - January 5th, 2020
- Messiahs Mehdi Dehbi on Authenticity of Character Coming From Within - Variety - January 5th, 2020
- Spirituality | Definition of Spirituality by Merriam-Webster - December 30th, 2019
- Spirituality - December 30th, 2019
- What is spirituality? | Spirituality | ReachOut Australia - December 30th, 2019
- Homage to Vishvesha Teertha: Monk who did not confine spirituality to his room, but embraced one and all - MyNation - December 30th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Where is your storm home? | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - December 30th, 2019
- Metro Exodus is the spiritual successor to Stalker we might never get - PC Gamer - December 30th, 2019
- 'Spiritual realization must to face modern days issues' - Deccan Herald - December 30th, 2019
- Your Spiritual Year in Review: Looking Back to Look Forward to Growth - Patheos - December 30th, 2019
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: To give like the magi - News - Wicked Local - December 30th, 2019
- Demi Lovato Celebrates Her Spiritual 'Rebirth' With New Tattoo: See The Ink - iHeartRadio - December 30th, 2019
- Comedian Geoffrey Asmus plans to get spiritual, swear, and record an album at Sisyphus - City Pages - December 30th, 2019
- The Spiritual Disunity of the West - The Atlantic - December 7th, 2019
- Reading the Signs, Spreading the Word: New England Spirituality Publishers - Publishers Weekly - December 7th, 2019
- The NFL tried to fine the Saints' Demario Davis for his 'Man of God' headband. Here's what happened next - Yahoo Sports - December 7th, 2019
- How the super-rich harness their spiritual side (with a little help from LA spiritualists with lengthy waiting lists) - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2019
- Finding Your Way Without a Spiritual GPS - Patheos - December 7th, 2019
- Get Your Mind, Body And Soul Ready For 2020 With These 7 Spiritual Gifts - Essence - December 7th, 2019
- Renovating your spiritual home - The Irish Catholic - December 7th, 2019
- On the Spiritual and Physical Boobytraps of a Creative Life - Talkhouse - December 7th, 2019
- Tanya, your road to spiritual health - Arutz Sheva - December 7th, 2019
- A Survey on the Integration of Spiritual Care in Medical Schools from | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2019
- [LETTER] The truth about spiritual warfare - Newcastle Advertiser - December 7th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Surrender to peace in this war on Christmas - Wicked Local Walpole - December 7th, 2019
- Mystery novel blends spiritual with the procedural - Daily Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Spirituality: If you stick with Jesus, he'll keep you on course - Norwich Bulletin - November 22nd, 2019
- Spirituality is resolution to every problem: Veena - Daily Pioneer - November 22nd, 2019
- Overcoming Spiritual Programming: The Journey From Fear To Freedom | Spiritual Freedom - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual transformations in the middling years - Global Sisters Report - November 22nd, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: December 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 22nd, 2019
- A Spiritual Tour of Cuba - Post News Group - November 22nd, 2019
- This is spiritually more beneficial than fasting, according to St. John of the Cross - Aleteia EN - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual warfare and pornography - Arlington Catholic Herald - November 22nd, 2019
- IMPACThought: Is your spiritual home built on firm foundation? - The Hartsville Vidette - November 22nd, 2019
- Letter: Editorial: Building spiritual muscle with education and immigration - Baptist Standard - November 22nd, 2019
- Never alone: How Spiritual Ideas Work In Us - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: A lover of the first snow - Wicked Local Walpole - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual Motels: making sense of the world with Super Tiny Disappearing Oceans - San Diego Reader - November 22nd, 2019
- After The Ritual: The Messiness of Spiritual Growth | what to do after a ritual - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- As Indian mental health research sphere is penetrated by pseudo-spiritual influences, it's time medical... - Firstpost - November 22nd, 2019
- Baylor regents hear report from spirituality and character study - Baptist Standard - November 6th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: November 6, 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 6th, 2019
- These Celebrities Say Their Spiritual Journeys Have Benefitted Their Lives And Careers - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Why modern yoga should be more spiritual and less narcissistic - The Guardian - November 6th, 2019
- Trump's new 'spiritual adviser' thinks saying no to him is like saying no to God - The indy100 - November 6th, 2019
- Wealth inequality and spiritual currency | Torah Study - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality as Joy the Art of Spokane's Brittney Trambitas - spokanefavs.com - November 6th, 2019
- The spiritual value of Halloween - The News Star - November 6th, 2019
- "Harriet" Director on the Film's Themes of Spirituality, Love, and Family - UrbanFaith - November 6th, 2019
- Bronx-based nurse speaks on 'Spirituality and Health' - Caribbean Life - November 6th, 2019