The Sensational Barnes Brothers lead the launch of the new Memphis gospel label Bible & Tire Recording Co.(Photo: Bill Reynolds)
Bruce Watson has always been drawn to the sacred and profane, spiritual sounds and the music of the devil.
As a longtime executive with Mississippis Fat Possum Records label, hes been a pivotal force in the discovery and rediscovery of a generation of HillCountry blues arts. With his own Big Legal Mess label, hes done the same with a group of veteran soul and R&B artists from Memphis and the region. But Watson has always had a deep, abiding passion for gospel music as well specifically the soulful classic gospel of the '60s and '70s.
When you listen to contemporary gospel, I dont hear too many things that sound like gospel used to. And a lot of that is down to the technology, Watson said. When synthesizers and drum machines, synthesized horns, all came into the picture in the 80s, gospel music changed all music changed but that aspect has definitely lingered in gospel. And so I wanted to start a label that put out music that had the feel of the older gospel stuff, but with contemporary artists.
To that end, Watson will launch a new spiritual music label called Bible & Tire Recording Co. This week, the Memphis-based company will put out The Sensational Barnes Brothers LP, Nobodys Fault But My Own, and a compilation of classic 70s sides by Elizabeth King & The Gospel Souls. The Barnes Brothers and King will also be among the acts performing as part of the A Night of Memphis Deep Soul Gospel Concert at Crosstown Arts on Friday night, an event that will help christen Bible & Tire.
SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE: Go inside the making of Elvis' 'Live 1969' box set with Grammy-winning Memphis engineer Matt Ross-Spang
BLUFF CITY BICENTENNIAL: 200 Memphis music moments
The Sensational Barnes Brothers will release their LP, "Nobody's Fault But My Own" on Sept 20.(Photo: Handout)
Watson previously explored Memphis rich, if somewhat forgotten, gospel label past. In 2014, he released The Soul of Designer Records, a multi-disc box set focusing on the local gospel label run by producer Style Wooten from 1968 to 1978.
Watsons decision to ultimately start a new throwback gospel label in Bible & Tire was two-fold. Hed already been working with a new act, the Barnes Brothers, at his Delta-Sonic Sound studio, using the sibling singers as background vocalists on various R&B and soul projects for Robert Finleyand Don Bryant, among others.
Theyve been performing in church since they were kids, Watson said. I proposed to them that we do a gospel record, using some of the songs from the Designer Records catalog.
At the same time, Watson also struck a deal to acquire the little-known, but voluminous, catalog of another old Memphis gospel label:D-Vine Spirituals.
Launched by Pastor Juan Shipp in 1971, and operating for most of that decade, the D-Vine Spirituals' catalog was only known to a few hardcore record collectors, including musician and music historian Mike Hurtt, whod worked with Watson on the Designer box set. Several years back, Hurtt initiated talks with Shipp to do something with the many hours of recordings he had sitting in storage. Last year, Watson finalized a deal with Shipp.
Gospel artist Elizabeth King will perform at Crosstown Arts on Friday.(Photo: Handout)
We got like 150 tapes, something like 13 hours of gospel music and 90% of it is amazing, said Watson, who spent six months transferring the tapes. Pastor Shipp, who is still around, he was a gospel deejay back in the day. Actually, Style Wooten would bring in his Designer records for him to play. And I think after a while Pastor Shipp started to think, Well, these recordings dont sound as good as they could. So he started his D-Vine Spirituals label almost as a reaction against Designer.
In getting to know Shipp, Watson also realized many of the original D-Vine artists, including Elizabeth King and the D-Vine Spiritualettes, were still alive, active and performing locally. That cemented Watson's decision to formally launch a dedicated gospel label in Bible & Tire, which he will do this week with the company's first two releases: The Sensational Barnes Brothers debut, and a reissue of Kings '70s recordings mostly previously unreleased on D-Vine.
The King reissue will serve as teaser for several other projects. Watson is currently putting together an expansive D-Vine box set to be released in 2020. Hes also working on a new album with King and is set to record a D-Vine Spiritualettes LP later this month. Watson has recently branched out from the Mid-South, signing a North Carolina group, Dedicated Men of Zion. He will record them this fall.
All of the Bible & Tire Recording Co. releases will be held at Watsons Uptown studio, Delta-Sonic Sound, mostly with a house band consisting of Memphis all-stars including multi-instrumentalist Jimbo Mathis, guitarist Will Sexton, bassist Mark Edgar Stuart and drummer George Sluppick.
Watson hopes the projects will shine a much-needed light on a golden bygone era of gospel musicand, hopefully, usher in a new one as well.
The truth is people have done so much with soul and blues singers (in the South),but theres more untapped or unheard gospel talent to be discovered here than probably anything. Feels like its time the world at large got a chance to hear some of that music and those artists.
Memphis vocal duo The Sensational Barnes Brothers.(Photo: Bill Reynolds)
Featuring performances by The Sensational Barnes Brothers, Elizabeth King, D-Vine Spiritualettes, The Vaughn Sisters, the Rev. John Wilkins, Elder Ward, Liz Brasherand Gary Lucky Smith.
Friday, at the Crosstown Theatre at Crosstown Arts, 1350 Concourse Ave.
Doors at 6:30 p.m., music starts at 7 p.m.
Tickets: $15. Available at crosstownarts.org or at the door.
Read or Share this story: https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/09/18/memphis-music-bible-tire-recording-co-gospel-music-the-sensational-barnes-brothers-elizabeth-king/2343269001/
Here is the original post:
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020