Not too long ago, a movie came out based on a book by Garth Stein titled,The Art of Racing in the Rain.The storysmain character, a dog named Enzo, narrates the story. According to Enzo, the canine existence is an apprenticeship to becoming human. If the dog finishes their years having evolved enough, they will return to a new life as humans.
This is not a spoiler alert, for I will not reveal any other parts of this great story. But, although the story is fictional, its premise supports Doctor Wayne Dyers belief that;
We are not human beings in search of a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a temporary human experience.
Do living things evolve and advance to a next phase?
This is the existential question about human life. While Quantum Physics can support the probability that living things evolve and advance to a next phase, it can also support the premise that living things begin and end with just one life, period. Since no living being has ever returned from death to prove either theory, we must accept both premises as conjecture. This means we have the freedom to choose the one that best fits us.
Life, Death, Soul, Heaven and Hell
With the Catholic Church as the foundational teacher of my religious beliefs, I learned human beings are born with a soul that our deathsets free to live in heaven or burn in hell. Each person determines their souls fate by theirability to live in accordance to Gods law.
This idea that our human acts govern our spiritual fate seems flawed to me, for it does not take into account the effects nature or nurture have on an individual. The church contends it is each persons responsibility to find his/her souls salvation. This is the same whether one grew up in an affluent family with well-educated, loving parents or under the influence of drugged out parents who ran a crack house.Therefore, this is the theory that our human existence stumbles through life in search of the right spiritual truth and then we can ignore it or committo follow itto save our souls.
This belief may have served early humans well, for it helped societies reach agreements and establish laws that would protect communities and define nations. But I dont thinkthis serves us well today because it counts on ego consciousness to judge whatis right or wrong. Relying on our ego, we set out to compare ourselves with others to measure our righteousness and modulate our behavior with fear, guilt, violence, punishment and revenge. It also forces us to see ourselvesunworthy of Gods love because we have been convinced that we were born imperfect and, therefore, must spend our lives trying to earn Gods eternal approval.
This idea we are here in search of a spiritual experience does not work for me. It is the philosophy that the cup of our life is always half empty. Fortunately, the view of spirit has evolved beyond this.
Spiritual beings having a temporary human experience
All spiritual teachings contend we originated from a Higher Consciousness or spirit we call God. For example, this is what the first chapter of the Book of Genesis addresses. Modern physics and metaphysics support the premise that everything originated from an original being. This means that all living organisms are spiritual beings because they all have this essence in them.
Using our surroundings to guide our thinking, we can see that everything is part of a never-ending cycle of birth, evolution, transformation and death. But endings are never final, for they lead to new beginnings and forms.
It makes sense then that this cycle we witness daily in the material world is the perfect metaphor for what happens in the spiritual world. Just ponderabout our own spiritual evolution through the many endings and beginnings in our lives.
I am convincedwe are spiritual beings experiencing a temporary human experience. This makes the example of Enzothe hero of our aforementioned storypossible. This may not just apply to dogs; it is plausible that every living thing serves as a phase of learning and evolving for a next and higher being.
Seeing ourselves as spiritual beings on this earth temporarily to grow and evolve fills me with hope, serenity and gratitude. This belief converts my life into a wonderful package of experiences and people meant to teach me important lessons on how to express the divine spirit that is part of me.
We can, of course, adopt the traditional view of the relationship between God and ourselves, salvation and eternal damnation. But these beliefs have fueled great divisions and tribalism among human beings. We still argue over whose god is the one true God and who are the true believers and infidels. These beliefs dont allow us to see our connection to each other and to our world.
Considering ourselves as spiritual beingshere to learn and grow give every life meaning and value. This does not judge our experiences and people as good or evil, butas essential elements in our individual life curriculum. It also sheds light on the important value and purpose each person, animals, and every living thing contributes to our world.
Adopting this perspective has brought great joy and significance to my life. Knowing the people and experiences in my life were there to help with my spiritual development defuses my anger and desire for revenge and fills me with gratitude for them. It gives the full span of my life meaning and purpose and gives me the energy and openness to accept new challenges for as long as I live. I have never been so content and thankful for my life nor have I ever felt so comfortable inside my skin as I do now. I am a spiritual being learning from this temporary existence and getting ready for the next transition.
Remember, paying gratitude for your life forward will bring you great joy and contentment.
Previously published here and reprinted with the authors permission.
Sign up for our Writing Prompts email to receive writing inspiration in your inbox twice per week.
- The Spiritual Disunity of the West - The Atlantic - December 7th, 2019
- Reading the Signs, Spreading the Word: New England Spirituality Publishers - Publishers Weekly - December 7th, 2019
- The NFL tried to fine the Saints' Demario Davis for his 'Man of God' headband. Here's what happened next - Yahoo Sports - December 7th, 2019
- How the super-rich harness their spiritual side (with a little help from LA spiritualists with lengthy waiting lists) - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2019
- Finding Your Way Without a Spiritual GPS - Patheos - December 7th, 2019
- Get Your Mind, Body And Soul Ready For 2020 With These 7 Spiritual Gifts - Essence - December 7th, 2019
- Renovating your spiritual home - The Irish Catholic - December 7th, 2019
- On the Spiritual and Physical Boobytraps of a Creative Life - Talkhouse - December 7th, 2019
- Tanya, your road to spiritual health - Arutz Sheva - December 7th, 2019
- A Survey on the Integration of Spiritual Care in Medical Schools from | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2019
- [LETTER] The truth about spiritual warfare - Newcastle Advertiser - December 7th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Surrender to peace in this war on Christmas - Wicked Local Walpole - December 7th, 2019
- Mystery novel blends spiritual with the procedural - Daily Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Spirituality: If you stick with Jesus, he'll keep you on course - Norwich Bulletin - November 22nd, 2019
- Spirituality is resolution to every problem: Veena - Daily Pioneer - November 22nd, 2019
- Overcoming Spiritual Programming: The Journey From Fear To Freedom | Spiritual Freedom - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual transformations in the middling years - Global Sisters Report - November 22nd, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: December 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 22nd, 2019
- A Spiritual Tour of Cuba - Post News Group - November 22nd, 2019
- This is spiritually more beneficial than fasting, according to St. John of the Cross - Aleteia EN - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual warfare and pornography - Arlington Catholic Herald - November 22nd, 2019
- IMPACThought: Is your spiritual home built on firm foundation? - The Hartsville Vidette - November 22nd, 2019
- Letter: Editorial: Building spiritual muscle with education and immigration - Baptist Standard - November 22nd, 2019
- Never alone: How Spiritual Ideas Work In Us - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: A lover of the first snow - Wicked Local Walpole - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual Motels: making sense of the world with Super Tiny Disappearing Oceans - San Diego Reader - November 22nd, 2019
- After The Ritual: The Messiness of Spiritual Growth | what to do after a ritual - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- As Indian mental health research sphere is penetrated by pseudo-spiritual influences, it's time medical... - Firstpost - November 22nd, 2019
- Baylor regents hear report from spirituality and character study - Baptist Standard - November 6th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: November 6, 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 6th, 2019
- These Celebrities Say Their Spiritual Journeys Have Benefitted Their Lives And Careers - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Why modern yoga should be more spiritual and less narcissistic - The Guardian - November 6th, 2019
- Trump's new 'spiritual adviser' thinks saying no to him is like saying no to God - The indy100 - November 6th, 2019
- Wealth inequality and spiritual currency | Torah Study - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality as Joy the Art of Spokane's Brittney Trambitas - spokanefavs.com - November 6th, 2019
- The spiritual value of Halloween - The News Star - November 6th, 2019
- "Harriet" Director on the Film's Themes of Spirituality, Love, and Family - UrbanFaith - November 6th, 2019
- Bronx-based nurse speaks on 'Spirituality and Health' - Caribbean Life - November 6th, 2019
- Classic ink paintings on show reveal the spiritual 'xieyi' style - Chinadaily USA - November 6th, 2019
- Festival takes care of mental, physical and spiritual health - Cyprus Mail - November 6th, 2019
- These Sunglasses Have "Spiritual Healing" Properties Thanks to a Tiny Detail on Their Frames - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 6th, 2019
- Meet the Spiritual Leader of the Hong Kong Protests - The Atlantic - November 6th, 2019
- In Japan, supernatural beliefs connect the spiritual realm with the earthly objects around us - The Conversation AU - November 6th, 2019
- Religious and spiritual online forums consist of chaotic, impactful ideas - Lamron - November 6th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Grumbling, for many, is never just grumbling - SW News Media - November 6th, 2019
- Kasi Lemmons And The Spiritual Journey of 'Harriet' - HuffPost - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality at Tufts: The Humanist Approach - Tufts Now - October 16th, 2019
- on the spiritual matter of art - Announcements - E-Flux - October 16th, 2019
- My Bhutan Pilgrimage-ish, Part Tourism, Part Leaning into the Spirituality of a Himalayan Buddhist Country - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Amazon Synod Press Briefing: The spiritual dynamic of the Synod - Vatican News - October 16th, 2019
- Education, compensation, and spiritual outreach protect threatened whale sharks - Mongabay.com - October 16th, 2019
- "A Spiritual Experience": The Artist Behind a Rediscovered Last Supper Talks About Its Creation - Washingtonian - October 16th, 2019
- 500 SoCal Spiritualists, Marianne Williamson, and UCSD's PC Princess || PC Princess - The UCSD Guardian Online - October 16th, 2019
- Why Gitanjali JB wants to put the soul and spirituality back in Indian education - EdexLive - October 16th, 2019
- A man walked into a wild corner of Hatcher Pass last year on a spiritual quest. He never came out. - Anchorage Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- The Spiritual Need for the Arts - Juneau Empire - October 16th, 2019
- Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity, "Blurred Lines," and "Spiritual Warfare" - GQ - October 16th, 2019
- Exeter Cathedral to host 'spiritual' underwater video game service inspired by Jonah and the Whale - The Telegraph - October 16th, 2019
- Education & Health Experts fear new Quebec legislation will further erode religion in schools October 16 - Grandin Media - October 16th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Even for a Midwesterner, work and play can be balanced - SW News Media - October 16th, 2019
- Opinion | Graham Rockingham: A year of living spiritually without religion - TheSpec.com - October 16th, 2019
- Workplace and spirituality: Meeting of opposites - The Manila Times - October 1st, 2019
- The spiritual meaning of St. Michaels name reminds us how we should live our lives - Aleteia EN - October 1st, 2019
- This Spiritual Fitness Experience Is Coming to Philly for the First Time Ever - phillymag.com - October 1st, 2019
- 4 Misconceptions That Keep You From Growing Spiritually - Patheos - October 1st, 2019
- 'My Year of Living Spiritually' is a book for the spiritual but not religious - rabble.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - October 1st, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - October 1st, 2019
- Knead & Seed is a haven for spiritual, emotional wellness in Sag Harbor - Northforker - October 1st, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - October 1st, 2019
- Panday honoured in Tobago by Spiritual Baptist - Trinidad Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Institute for Priestly Formation puts spiritual lives of priests front and center - The Catholic Spirit - October 1st, 2019
- Music and spirituality at the end of life - OUPblog - September 29th, 2019
- Princess Diana's Relationships With Psychics and Spiritual Healers - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 29th, 2019
- Spirituality and Health 3 Ways Faith Helps to Overcome Stress - spokanefavs.com - September 29th, 2019
- Book Review: My Year of Living Spiritually by Anne Bokma - Raise the Hammer - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Being a blessing is the only road to being blessed - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 29th, 2019
- David Brooks discusses spiritual hunger, Weave project in Baylor visit - Waco Tribune-Herald - September 29th, 2019
- Meet Greta Thunbergs spiritual precursor: The 12-year-old who silenced the world - RT - September 29th, 2019
- Brad Pitt May Be Dating a Spiritual Healer But They Also May Just Be Friends - Jezebel - September 29th, 2019