Photo by Nelson A. King
RN Hopina Quammie-Samuel (3rd from left) receives a plant from executive members of the Caribbean American Nurses Association, Inc., Bronx, Manhattan, Westchester Chapter.
Stating that the spiritual aspect of health is often times neglected and ignored, among other things, a founding member of the Caribbean American Nurses Association Bronx, Manhattan, Westchester Chapter (CANA-BMW) says that spirituality has become a greater concern to her over the years.
Registered Nurse Hopina Quammie-Samuel, the Vincentian-born former CANA-BMW president, lamented on Saturday that spirituality has not been given the same attention as physical and emotional health, and that it is not documented when rendered.
Spirituality was not part of many nurses curriculum before or after graduation (in the past), said Quammie-Samuel in delivering the keynote address at CANA-BMWs 24th Annual Vernese Weekes Scholarship Luncheon, at Eastwood Manor, on Eastchester Road in the Bronx.
Many people only focused on spirituality during times of crisis or set- backs, added Quammie-Samuel, an active member of the Creston Avenue Baptist Church in the Bronx, where she is founder and president of the Health Ministry.
She expressed concern about increase in work place violence and mental illness, including emotional instability on a whole, and the rise in the suicide rate among professionals, stating that the time is now to speak on it (spirituality) since everyone has a need to maintain his/her spiritual health.
Everyone can provide spiritual care to a point, Quammie-Samuel said. However, (one) needs to know when to get specialized help.
She noted that many organizations address the topic of spirituality in the US, pointing to, as an example, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO-2001) that establishes mandates that specifies requirements in addressing spiritual needs and practices.
According to Quammie-Samuel, JCAHO recommends, among other things, that a spiritual assessment be conducted on all patients; health care organizations (HCO) define the content and scope of the assessment; individual performing the assessment be qualified; assessment include at minimum the patients denomination, beliefs and spiritual practices; and that health care workers (HCW) demonstrate respect for patients values, religion and philosophy.
In defining, spirituality, according to Oxford Scholarship, as ones relationship with God, deity, supreme being or higher power, Quammie-Samuel said spirituality is reflected in our everyday lives, expressed through a framework of values, practices and beliefs.
All people example clergy, priests, nurses, presidents are all in need of spiritual care, no matter their beliefs, she said, adding that the beliefs should be respected.
As a country becomes more diverse, she said that health care providers (HCP) encounter religious and cultural challenges while planning and providing care.
In reviewing the literature and conversing with many of her colleagues, Quammie-Samuel said she discovered that about 80 percent of health care professionals perceive religion and spirituality as an important aspect of care.
Few nurses felt that they effectively addressed clients spiritual needs and reported some barriers, she said, listing some of the barriers/challenges as lack of time due to the nursing shortage; inadequate education about the topic; uncomfortable talking on the topic; different religious beliefs and practices; inability to identify clients need for spiritual care and those in spiritual distress; the role should be played by a priest, chaplain or spiritual leader, rather than by professionals; and the need for support and guidance in addressing spiritual issues.
Alluding to the School of Health and Promotion, Quammie-Samuel said there are eight dimensions of health/wellness, with nine in the making, namely sexuality.
She said the eight are: Physical the most effective way of achieving good health, regular movements, nutritious diet, adequate sleep, rest and practicing safe behaviors; Emotional positive attitude, ability to express a wide variety of feelings in appropriate manner; Social positive interpersonal relationships, sense of connection and belonging; Financial money management; Occupational engaging in meaningful, enjoyable work; Environmental lifestyle that is committed to sustaining nature; Intellectual seeking to expand knowledge, skills and creative abilities; and Spiritual the most neglected dimension of wellness.
Quammie-Samuel said spirituality is the ability to establish peace and harmony in our lives.
It is achieved when you feel at peace with life, she said. One is able to find comfort and hope in the hardest times. It (spirituality) can help to support you as you experience life completely.
Becoming spiritually means striving for consistency, with our values and beliefs, she added.
Quammie-Samuel gave suggestions to help better equip nurses become more confident in dealing with spirituality.
She urged that they do a self-spiritual needs assessment; attend related retreats, ongoing related educational workshops; utilize myriad personal resources at work and in local community groups; interact with colleagues. chaplains, spiritual leaders and social workers; read relevant literature; address unresolved and spiritual issues in their lives, such as unforgiveness, guilt and biases; seek help after a sentinel event or crisis from employee assistance and help healers heal program; become active listeners; meditate and pray daily; Spend time in quietness/solitude; become part of a social network; be grateful; and pray for a servants heart.
These have proven to help many of my colleagues personally and professionally, Quammie-Samuel said. A persons health and well-being benefit when his or her spiritual needs are met (referring to Koenig, 2004).
Quammie-Samuel received a Bachelor of Science in Health Administration and certification in Community Health from St. Josephs College, and a Master of Science degree in Health Education from the City University of New York at Lehman College.
Her extensive clinical experience spans adult nursing, maternal, newborn and womens health nursing, pediatric nursing and community health.
She has held positions as instructor, nursing care coordinator, certified lactation consultant, and is currently employed as an assistant director of nursing at an unidentified hospital in the Bronx.
Posted 4:55 pm, October 31, 2019
Go here to see the original:
- David Nichtern on Spirituality and Making a Buck - Lion's Roar - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual festival curated to bring world together in peace, love and harmony - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- The Ark brings shelter to those in spiritual need - Kern Valley Sun - January 30th, 2020
- 'Satanic wombs': the outlandish world of Trump's spiritual adviser - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- An Unexpected Spiritual Balm - Word and Way - January 30th, 2020
- Actors asked to find a spirituality for new Belfry production - Peninsula News Review - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritual Sounds unites a world of faiths in the East Village - amNY - January 30th, 2020
- What on Earth is wrong with Paula White, Trump's spiritual guru? - Washington Examiner - January 30th, 2020
- According to Trump's Spiritual Advisor It's Apparently Okay to Ask God to Terminate Pregnancies as Long as They're Satanic - Jezebel - January 30th, 2020
- Senior thesis Five Flights grapples with spiritual identity - Kenyon Collegian - January 30th, 2020
- Jefferson Award winner is a spiritual healer that attracts people from all over the country - WXOW.com - January 30th, 2020
- CITIZEN COLUMNIST: The value of discernment and spiritual discernment - SCNow - January 30th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: Jim Lehrer: To live a life of integrity - Wicked Local Sharon - January 30th, 2020
- The 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: Returning in Spiritual Triumph - Yated.com - January 30th, 2020
- Trump's Spiritual Advisor Comes Out in Favor of Abortion - Patheos - January 30th, 2020
- Ganga yatra to invoke spirituality, focus on need to clean river - Hindustan Times - January 30th, 2020
- Tend to spiritual needs too - Bryan County News - January 30th, 2020
- I never meditated, would rather be a criminal than spiritual: Ma Anand Sheela - India Today - January 30th, 2020
- We put Jen Aniston and Gwyneth's spirituality gurus to the test - Marie Claire - January 25th, 2020
- On matters biblical, spiritual belief, and marital in the land of matoke - Daily Nation - January 25th, 2020
- Top 10 Religion and Spirituality Books for Spring 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual book proposes that we should nurture our souls as we would a garden -- with love and tenderness - Benzinga - January 25th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: February 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 25th, 2020
- Getting spiritual: the real essence of yoga - The Age - January 25th, 2020
- Spiritual Intervention for Crime Prevention? - The Voice St. Lucia - January 25th, 2020
- 6 Bishops on Their Favorite Saints, Spirituality - National Catholic Register - January 25th, 2020
- The spiritual poet - The News on Sunday - January 25th, 2020
- Is the Spiritual Realm more Real than the Natural? Brad Jersak | Brad Jersak - Patheos - January 25th, 2020
- Terry Crews says intermittent fasting is his fitness secret but he's actually doing it for spiritual reasons - Yahoo Entertainment - January 25th, 2020
- The role of scriptures on the spiritual path - The Navhind Times - January 25th, 2020
- Undiluted Catholicism: what the Amazon really needs - Catholic Herald Online - January 25th, 2020
- Review: 'Babette's Feast' a warmhearted exploration of the spiritual and the sensual at Lamb's Players - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- GRHS graduate using platform to write about spiritual themes - The Glen Rose Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- Abortion is socially sanctioned, sovereignly offensive and spiritually sinful | Guestview - Pensacola News Journal - January 25th, 2020
- Material achievements and spiritual perfections - Centurion Rekord - January 25th, 2020
- Pastor's 'spiritual DNA' will live on - Impartial Reporter - January 25th, 2020
- The theologian who helped MLK see the value of nonviolence - Sumter Item - January 25th, 2020
- Why "Business Meets Spirituality" Is an Important Leadership Trend For 2020 - Thrive Global - January 19th, 2020
- The Fall of Spirituality: The Blood-Soaked History of the Cathars - Ancient Origins - January 19th, 2020
- In this art gallery, conversations about religion and spirituality are welcome - The Oakland Press - January 19th, 2020
- A Spirituality of Aging: Deepening our Wisdom Years - CatholicPhilly.com - January 19th, 2020
- Spirituality and values in the Disney universe - Evangelical Focus - January 19th, 2020
- The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s spiritual influence remembered in Steubenville | News, Sports, Jobs - The Steubenville Herald-Star - January 19th, 2020
- 5 Reasons to jumpstart your spiritual reading in 2020 - Aleteia EN - January 19th, 2020
- Big Freedia Will Bring Bounce Tunes, Spiritual Experience When She Takes the Stage at Paper Tiger - San Antonio Current - January 19th, 2020
- Meaningful Conversations Chapel Hill looks for the spiritual basis of forgiveness - The Daily Tar Heel - January 19th, 2020
- Liverpool players spiritual preparations and how club respectfully honours faith behind the scenes - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Local Cantors are 'The Spiritual Caretakers of the Congregation' - The Jewish News - January 19th, 2020
- The 12 Best Mayan Sites to See in Guatemala - Fodor's Travel - January 19th, 2020
- Father beat children secluded on Ruinerwold farm with "spiritual sword": Report - NL Times - January 19th, 2020
- SPIRITUALLY SPEAKING: What will your legacy be? - Wicked Local - January 19th, 2020
- The Ummah Chroma to Launch Spiritual & Meditative Installation at Het Nieuwe Instituut - HYPEBEAST - January 19th, 2020
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pray for the president's spiritual aligning with Scripture - Anniston Star - January 19th, 2020
- Spiritually Speaking: 2020 vision for the New Year | Eden Prairie Opinion - SW News Media - January 19th, 2020
- The Shepherd and the Shrink | Dexter duo launches podcast combing spirituality and psychology - thesuntimesnews.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spirituality Has Long Been Erased From Art History. Heres Why Its Having a Resurgence Today - artnet News - January 12th, 2020
- Expert says medical professionals need better training on spiritual care - Crux: Covering all things Catholic - January 12th, 2020
- Its possible to be spiritual without following religious practices - Hindustan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: January 8, 2020 - Publishers Weekly - January 12th, 2020
- The history of scientists dismissing spiritual experiences - The Week Magazine - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual New Year's resolutions - The News Star - January 12th, 2020
- Dubais Demand for Niche Spiritual Retreats on the Rise - Skift - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Medium Yesenia Berbiar Aims To Heal Hearts By Connecting With Departed Family Members - KHTS Radio - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual editorial: Last year in the rear view mirror - NorthcentralPa.com - January 12th, 2020
- Spiritual Alphabet Soup of Death and Dying - Thrive Global - January 12th, 2020
- KEEPING THE FAITH: Local spiritual leaders respond to recent national violence - Evening News and Tribune - January 12th, 2020
- Faith and Values: Look outward for spiritual growth in the new year - The Spokesman-Review - January 12th, 2020
- GOD SQUAD: Spiritual New Years resolutions - CTPost - January 12th, 2020
- Bill Tinsley: Develop a physically and spiritually healthy heart - StarNewsOnline.com - January 12th, 2020
- Czech out Svickova Na Smetane and get spiritual about bread: this week's food events in Eastern Iowa - The Gazette - January 12th, 2020
- The spiritual meaning of the word - magviral - January 12th, 2020
- I have faced the roughest time in my spiritual walk, Rose Muhando - The Standard - January 12th, 2020
- Blackbird, Regnum Christi, and the Legacy of Spiritual Abuse - Patheos - January 12th, 2020
- Music And Spirituality At 'Rising Song' Event - Jewish Week - January 5th, 2020
- Divine grace found in messiness of imperfect life - Times Colonist - January 5th, 2020
- Shamanism in Nepal: Inside the practices and spiritual world of Jhakri - The Independent - January 5th, 2020
- The three most important walks of existence: spirituality, relationships, and career success | By Judith Nwadigo - Qwenu! - January 5th, 2020
- Oddity is an Earthbound spiritual successor that used to be a fan sequel - PC Gamer - January 5th, 2020
- GUEST COLUMN: The spiritual pleasure (and poetry) of flowers - Wicked Local - January 5th, 2020
- Mother Teresa's former spiritual advisor accused of raping boy more than 1000 times - LGBTQ Nation - January 5th, 2020