Photo by Nelson A. King
RN Hopina Quammie-Samuel (3rd from left) receives a plant from executive members of the Caribbean American Nurses Association, Inc., Bronx, Manhattan, Westchester Chapter.
Stating that the spiritual aspect of health is often times neglected and ignored, among other things, a founding member of the Caribbean American Nurses Association Bronx, Manhattan, Westchester Chapter (CANA-BMW) says that spirituality has become a greater concern to her over the years.
Registered Nurse Hopina Quammie-Samuel, the Vincentian-born former CANA-BMW president, lamented on Saturday that spirituality has not been given the same attention as physical and emotional health, and that it is not documented when rendered.
Spirituality was not part of many nurses curriculum before or after graduation (in the past), said Quammie-Samuel in delivering the keynote address at CANA-BMWs 24th Annual Vernese Weekes Scholarship Luncheon, at Eastwood Manor, on Eastchester Road in the Bronx.
Many people only focused on spirituality during times of crisis or set- backs, added Quammie-Samuel, an active member of the Creston Avenue Baptist Church in the Bronx, where she is founder and president of the Health Ministry.
She expressed concern about increase in work place violence and mental illness, including emotional instability on a whole, and the rise in the suicide rate among professionals, stating that the time is now to speak on it (spirituality) since everyone has a need to maintain his/her spiritual health.
Everyone can provide spiritual care to a point, Quammie-Samuel said. However, (one) needs to know when to get specialized help.
She noted that many organizations address the topic of spirituality in the US, pointing to, as an example, the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO-2001) that establishes mandates that specifies requirements in addressing spiritual needs and practices.
According to Quammie-Samuel, JCAHO recommends, among other things, that a spiritual assessment be conducted on all patients; health care organizations (HCO) define the content and scope of the assessment; individual performing the assessment be qualified; assessment include at minimum the patients denomination, beliefs and spiritual practices; and that health care workers (HCW) demonstrate respect for patients values, religion and philosophy.
In defining, spirituality, according to Oxford Scholarship, as ones relationship with God, deity, supreme being or higher power, Quammie-Samuel said spirituality is reflected in our everyday lives, expressed through a framework of values, practices and beliefs.
All people example clergy, priests, nurses, presidents are all in need of spiritual care, no matter their beliefs, she said, adding that the beliefs should be respected.
As a country becomes more diverse, she said that health care providers (HCP) encounter religious and cultural challenges while planning and providing care.
In reviewing the literature and conversing with many of her colleagues, Quammie-Samuel said she discovered that about 80 percent of health care professionals perceive religion and spirituality as an important aspect of care.
Few nurses felt that they effectively addressed clients spiritual needs and reported some barriers, she said, listing some of the barriers/challenges as lack of time due to the nursing shortage; inadequate education about the topic; uncomfortable talking on the topic; different religious beliefs and practices; inability to identify clients need for spiritual care and those in spiritual distress; the role should be played by a priest, chaplain or spiritual leader, rather than by professionals; and the need for support and guidance in addressing spiritual issues.
Alluding to the School of Health and Promotion, Quammie-Samuel said there are eight dimensions of health/wellness, with nine in the making, namely sexuality.
She said the eight are: Physical the most effective way of achieving good health, regular movements, nutritious diet, adequate sleep, rest and practicing safe behaviors; Emotional positive attitude, ability to express a wide variety of feelings in appropriate manner; Social positive interpersonal relationships, sense of connection and belonging; Financial money management; Occupational engaging in meaningful, enjoyable work; Environmental lifestyle that is committed to sustaining nature; Intellectual seeking to expand knowledge, skills and creative abilities; and Spiritual the most neglected dimension of wellness.
Quammie-Samuel said spirituality is the ability to establish peace and harmony in our lives.
It is achieved when you feel at peace with life, she said. One is able to find comfort and hope in the hardest times. It (spirituality) can help to support you as you experience life completely.
Becoming spiritually means striving for consistency, with our values and beliefs, she added.
Quammie-Samuel gave suggestions to help better equip nurses become more confident in dealing with spirituality.
She urged that they do a self-spiritual needs assessment; attend related retreats, ongoing related educational workshops; utilize myriad personal resources at work and in local community groups; interact with colleagues. chaplains, spiritual leaders and social workers; read relevant literature; address unresolved and spiritual issues in their lives, such as unforgiveness, guilt and biases; seek help after a sentinel event or crisis from employee assistance and help healers heal program; become active listeners; meditate and pray daily; Spend time in quietness/solitude; become part of a social network; be grateful; and pray for a servants heart.
These have proven to help many of my colleagues personally and professionally, Quammie-Samuel said. A persons health and well-being benefit when his or her spiritual needs are met (referring to Koenig, 2004).
Quammie-Samuel received a Bachelor of Science in Health Administration and certification in Community Health from St. Josephs College, and a Master of Science degree in Health Education from the City University of New York at Lehman College.
Her extensive clinical experience spans adult nursing, maternal, newborn and womens health nursing, pediatric nursing and community health.
She has held positions as instructor, nursing care coordinator, certified lactation consultant, and is currently employed as an assistant director of nursing at an unidentified hospital in the Bronx.
Posted 4:55 pm, October 31, 2019
Go here to see the original:
- The Spiritual Disunity of the West - The Atlantic - December 7th, 2019
- Reading the Signs, Spreading the Word: New England Spirituality Publishers - Publishers Weekly - December 7th, 2019
- The NFL tried to fine the Saints' Demario Davis for his 'Man of God' headband. Here's what happened next - Yahoo Sports - December 7th, 2019
- How the super-rich harness their spiritual side (with a little help from LA spiritualists with lengthy waiting lists) - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2019
- Finding Your Way Without a Spiritual GPS - Patheos - December 7th, 2019
- Get Your Mind, Body And Soul Ready For 2020 With These 7 Spiritual Gifts - Essence - December 7th, 2019
- Renovating your spiritual home - The Irish Catholic - December 7th, 2019
- On the Spiritual and Physical Boobytraps of a Creative Life - Talkhouse - December 7th, 2019
- Tanya, your road to spiritual health - Arutz Sheva - December 7th, 2019
- A Survey on the Integration of Spiritual Care in Medical Schools from | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2019
- [LETTER] The truth about spiritual warfare - Newcastle Advertiser - December 7th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Surrender to peace in this war on Christmas - Wicked Local Walpole - December 7th, 2019
- Mystery novel blends spiritual with the procedural - Daily Journal - December 7th, 2019
- Spirituality: If you stick with Jesus, he'll keep you on course - Norwich Bulletin - November 22nd, 2019
- Spirituality is resolution to every problem: Veena - Daily Pioneer - November 22nd, 2019
- Overcoming Spiritual Programming: The Journey From Fear To Freedom | Spiritual Freedom - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual transformations in the middling years - Global Sisters Report - November 22nd, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: December 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 22nd, 2019
- A Spiritual Tour of Cuba - Post News Group - November 22nd, 2019
- This is spiritually more beneficial than fasting, according to St. John of the Cross - Aleteia EN - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual warfare and pornography - Arlington Catholic Herald - November 22nd, 2019
- IMPACThought: Is your spiritual home built on firm foundation? - The Hartsville Vidette - November 22nd, 2019
- Letter: Editorial: Building spiritual muscle with education and immigration - Baptist Standard - November 22nd, 2019
- Never alone: How Spiritual Ideas Work In Us - Patch.com - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: A lover of the first snow - Wicked Local Walpole - November 22nd, 2019
- Spiritual Motels: making sense of the world with Super Tiny Disappearing Oceans - San Diego Reader - November 22nd, 2019
- After The Ritual: The Messiness of Spiritual Growth | what to do after a ritual - Patheos - November 22nd, 2019
- As Indian mental health research sphere is penetrated by pseudo-spiritual influences, it's time medical... - Firstpost - November 22nd, 2019
- Baylor regents hear report from spirituality and character study - Baptist Standard - November 6th, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Book Deals: November 6, 2019 - Publishers Weekly - November 6th, 2019
- These Celebrities Say Their Spiritual Journeys Have Benefitted Their Lives And Careers - Forbes - November 6th, 2019
- Why modern yoga should be more spiritual and less narcissistic - The Guardian - November 6th, 2019
- Trump's new 'spiritual adviser' thinks saying no to him is like saying no to God - The indy100 - November 6th, 2019
- Wealth inequality and spiritual currency | Torah Study - Jewish News of Greater Phoenix - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality as Joy the Art of Spokane's Brittney Trambitas - spokanefavs.com - November 6th, 2019
- The spiritual value of Halloween - The News Star - November 6th, 2019
- "Harriet" Director on the Film's Themes of Spirituality, Love, and Family - UrbanFaith - November 6th, 2019
- Classic ink paintings on show reveal the spiritual 'xieyi' style - Chinadaily USA - November 6th, 2019
- Are Humans Here in Search of a Corporeal or Spiritual Experience? - The Good Men Project - November 6th, 2019
- Festival takes care of mental, physical and spiritual health - Cyprus Mail - November 6th, 2019
- These Sunglasses Have "Spiritual Healing" Properties Thanks to a Tiny Detail on Their Frames - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 6th, 2019
- Meet the Spiritual Leader of the Hong Kong Protests - The Atlantic - November 6th, 2019
- In Japan, supernatural beliefs connect the spiritual realm with the earthly objects around us - The Conversation AU - November 6th, 2019
- Religious and spiritual online forums consist of chaotic, impactful ideas - Lamron - November 6th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Grumbling, for many, is never just grumbling - SW News Media - November 6th, 2019
- Kasi Lemmons And The Spiritual Journey of 'Harriet' - HuffPost - November 6th, 2019
- Spirituality at Tufts: The Humanist Approach - Tufts Now - October 16th, 2019
- on the spiritual matter of art - Announcements - E-Flux - October 16th, 2019
- My Bhutan Pilgrimage-ish, Part Tourism, Part Leaning into the Spirituality of a Himalayan Buddhist Country - Patheos - October 16th, 2019
- Amazon Synod Press Briefing: The spiritual dynamic of the Synod - Vatican News - October 16th, 2019
- Education, compensation, and spiritual outreach protect threatened whale sharks - Mongabay.com - October 16th, 2019
- "A Spiritual Experience": The Artist Behind a Rediscovered Last Supper Talks About Its Creation - Washingtonian - October 16th, 2019
- 500 SoCal Spiritualists, Marianne Williamson, and UCSD's PC Princess || PC Princess - The UCSD Guardian Online - October 16th, 2019
- Why Gitanjali JB wants to put the soul and spirituality back in Indian education - EdexLive - October 16th, 2019
- A man walked into a wild corner of Hatcher Pass last year on a spiritual quest. He never came out. - Anchorage Daily News - October 16th, 2019
- The Spiritual Need for the Arts - Juneau Empire - October 16th, 2019
- Pharrell on Evolving Masculinity, "Blurred Lines," and "Spiritual Warfare" - GQ - October 16th, 2019
- Exeter Cathedral to host 'spiritual' underwater video game service inspired by Jonah and the Whale - The Telegraph - October 16th, 2019
- Education & Health Experts fear new Quebec legislation will further erode religion in schools October 16 - Grandin Media - October 16th, 2019
- Spiritual Reflections: Even for a Midwesterner, work and play can be balanced - SW News Media - October 16th, 2019
- Opinion | Graham Rockingham: A year of living spiritually without religion - TheSpec.com - October 16th, 2019
- Workplace and spirituality: Meeting of opposites - The Manila Times - October 1st, 2019
- The spiritual meaning of St. Michaels name reminds us how we should live our lives - Aleteia EN - October 1st, 2019
- This Spiritual Fitness Experience Is Coming to Philly for the First Time Ever - phillymag.com - October 1st, 2019
- 4 Misconceptions That Keep You From Growing Spiritually - Patheos - October 1st, 2019
- 'My Year of Living Spiritually' is a book for the spiritual but not religious - rabble.ca - October 1st, 2019
- Religion and Spirituality Books Preview: October 2019 - Publishers Weekly - October 1st, 2019
- Critic's Notebook: 'This Way Up' Is More Than a Spiritual Cousin to 'Fleabag' - Hollywood Reporter - October 1st, 2019
- Knead & Seed is a haven for spiritual, emotional wellness in Sag Harbor - Northforker - October 1st, 2019
- This Darshan and one-day retreat in Eagle will bring spiritual awareness to all who attend - Vail Daily News - October 1st, 2019
- Panday honoured in Tobago by Spiritual Baptist - Trinidad Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Institute for Priestly Formation puts spiritual lives of priests front and center - The Catholic Spirit - October 1st, 2019
- Music and spirituality at the end of life - OUPblog - September 29th, 2019
- Princess Diana's Relationships With Psychics and Spiritual Healers - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 29th, 2019
- Spirituality and Health 3 Ways Faith Helps to Overcome Stress - spokanefavs.com - September 29th, 2019
- Book Review: My Year of Living Spiritually by Anne Bokma - Raise the Hammer - September 29th, 2019
- Spiritually Speaking: Being a blessing is the only road to being blessed - The Philadelphia Tribune - September 29th, 2019
- David Brooks discusses spiritual hunger, Weave project in Baylor visit - Waco Tribune-Herald - September 29th, 2019
- Meet Greta Thunbergs spiritual precursor: The 12-year-old who silenced the world - RT - September 29th, 2019
- Brad Pitt May Be Dating a Spiritual Healer But They Also May Just Be Friends - Jezebel - September 29th, 2019