Just north of Manteo on Roanoke Island lies a coastal farm replica, known as Island Farm. This unique farm was designed with its roots in mind.
In the late 1700s, the land where Island Farm rests now was deeded to members of the Etheridge family. Jesse, Tart and Adam III Etheridge began what would, at one point, cover over 400 acres of farmland.
The Etheridge family became well known on Roanoke Island for their agricultural dominance and wide swept, abundant fields of crops and livestock.
The site today showcases what the farm produced back in the mid-1800s. The Etheridge farm grew corn, peas and potatoes. It housed horses, sheep, oxen, pigs and chickens and would supply fish for the community.
The son of Adam Etheridge III, Adam Etheridge IV, married Francis Fanny Baum and built a large farmhouse on the property around 1845. The timber frame of the structure was built mainly from heart pine; the area on Roanoke Island where the homestead lies was commonly called Logtown during that time period.
Along with the growing of crops, the Etheridge farm would produce butter, milk, tea and more. A large windmill overlooks the farm from across the street today. At one point, a windmill on the farm was used to make cornmeal.
The Etheridge family had hired help for daily chores around the homestead, such as cooking, cleaning and working in the field. One cook, Crissy Bowser, lived on the farm until she was believed to be 100 years old.
Bowser worked as a cook from 1900 to 1910 and she continued to live on the farm until her death. She is buried at the foot of a large oak tree on the property.
A gravesite dedicated to the Etheridge family borders the farm and holds those that began the now historic site. Decedents are the only ones that can be buried alongside their ancestors there.
Island Farm features a blacksmith shop, which would not have been found on the farm, but would have been likely close by back in the 1800s. Looms are contained within the walls of the structures at Island Farm as well to demonstrate the intricate weavings that took place back then.
The farm now resides on 14 acres of land and still focuses heavily on agriculture and preserving the history of the Etheridge family. It was donated to Outer Banks Conservationists in 1997 by descendants.
In 2001, restoration to the Etheridge farmhouse began and it is now one of the only original structures on the property. In 2010, the farm was opened to the public.
To learn more, visit the Island Farm website at http://www.obcinc.org/vist-our-sites/island-farm.
READ ABOUT COMMUNITY NEWS HERE.
ALSO OF INTEREST:
VIRTUAL TOUR: The Elizabethan Gardens
PHOTO GALLERY: Life on the Farm
- A Maine island is being billed as a private pandemic playground for the wealthy elite - Bangor Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - July 11th, 2020
- Feds announce $7 million plan to seal Prince of Wales Island uranium mine - KRBD - July 11th, 2020
- High school fall sports season on Staten Island still very much up in the air, says AD - SILive.com - July 11th, 2020
- Deiveson Figueiredo Tests Positive for COVID-19 Ahead of UFC Fight Island Event - Bleacher Report - July 11th, 2020
- Island Heights, N.J.: A Magical Place Thats a Step Out of Time - The New York Times - July 11th, 2020
- This private island is for sale in Loch Lomond, Scotland and it's the same price as a London flat - HouseBeautiful.com - July 11th, 2020
- Two new cases bring Island total to 40 - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Beware of jellyfish: Padre Island National Seashore tells visitors to pack vinegar to treat stings - mySA - July 11th, 2020
- Personality test: What Kings Island ride are you? - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island opens to the public Friday. Here are all the new rules and requirements - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Island at 38 confirmed cases - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island employee tests positive for coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - July 11th, 2020
- From hurricanes to coronavirus, three Puerto Rican athletes share their stories of what the island has faced - ESPN - July 11th, 2020
- 'They are just doing their own thing on an island': Doctor wants more COVID-19 coordination with Test Nebraska - KETV Omaha - July 11th, 2020
- Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. head fired over 'racially and sexually offensive' remarks - New York Post - June 20th, 2020
- Empire Outlets, Staten Island Mall: What Phase 2 means for Staten Island shoppers - SILive.com - June 20th, 2020
- Braised in the South food truck will settle down on Johns Island this summer - Charleston City Paper - June 20th, 2020
- A phased reopening - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- Boch provides a boost for Island charities - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 20th, 2020
- Big Island Road Closures, June 20 to June 26 - Big Island Now - June 20th, 2020
- Diego, the tortoise who saved his entire species, finally retires to uninhabited island - CNN - June 20th, 2020
- Town of Grand Island partners with local agencies to address questions related to solar energy - Niagara Frontier Publications - June 20th, 2020
- UFC fills out first four cards for Fight Island debut in July - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- The island with a key to our future - BBC News - June 20th, 2020
- Interisland travelers tell all - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- MTM On The Road: A Tour Around Mackinac Island - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - June 20th, 2020
- Large mass of grasses creates floating island in Muskegon - WNEM Saginaw - June 20th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson posts poignant tribute to Sophie Gradon two years after suicide - Mirror Online - June 20th, 2020
- Town Council considering ordinance to require mask wearing on island - Block Island Times - June 20th, 2020
- Think twice before booking off-island travel, says Jersey Consumer Council - ITV News - June 20th, 2020
- UFC 251 -- Which fighter faces the most pressure on Fight Island? - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat - Irish Examiner - June 1st, 2020
- Mackinac Island eases into summer season with soft, soft opening - MLive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Watch Rivers Cuomo cover Jesus Christ Superstar song for Islands In The Zoom sessions - NME - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds gather at Brown's Island: 'We are going to protest peacefully' - wtvr.com - June 1st, 2020
- New COVID-19 case with ties to San Juan Island under investigation - SanJuanIslander.com - June 1st, 2020
- Meet kumu the whitesaddle goatfish - Thegardenisland.com - June 1st, 2020
- Cruise the Greek Islands with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - The New Yorker - June 1st, 2020
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on Big Island - West Hawaii Today - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 31, 2020 - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island ShopRite melee ignites feuding factions on masks in pandemic - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Allow Staten Island students to have outdoor graduation ceremonies, city official says - SILive.com - June 1st, 2020
- The island that can save America | TheHill - The Hill - June 1st, 2020
- Long wait to reopen is over for Vancouver Island gyms Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Reveling in the Enigmatic Beauty of Easter Island - The New York Times - May 11th, 2020
- Help for parents and teachers; author gives tips - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - May 11th, 2020
- NYC's Coney Island Beach in Cyclone of Confusion for Summer - THE CITY - May 11th, 2020
- Danny Dyer says Love Island is a "pile of s**t" and leaves The Ranganation viewers - digitalspy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Island Luck CEO: No logic or rational in govt. decision making - EyeWitness News - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island Zoo to host virtual meet and greet with exotic animals: How to attend - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Artists campaign against Bristol Spike Island eviction of Howard Silverman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Woman took son to Greek island to 'protect him from COVID-19' - Sky News - May 1st, 2020
- TSB investigation into Island Queen III incident issues three concerns - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 1st, 2020
- This Tech Conference Is Being Held on an Animal Crossing Island - VICE - May 1st, 2020
- Island COVID-19 confirmed cases rise to 19 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- Car thieves flocking to Staten Island during pandemic, many of them repeat offenders - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Coney Island Hospital Treated To Record-Breaking Meal Donation For Staff - BKLYNER - May 1st, 2020