Chanze Dawson was walking to her daughters school when her body started swaying left and right. She ran under a doorway. After about a minute passed, she still couldnt gain her balance and felt dizzy and lightheaded.
The West End, Cayman Brac resident was experiencing her second earthquake. Her first was the one in December 2004.
When the magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off the shores of the Cayman Islands on Tuesday, many residents of the Sister Islands didnt know was happening at first. After the shaking stopped, they made their way to shelters or higher ground.
Tate McFarlane, District Administrations district officer for Little Cayman, said he was in his office in Blossom Village when the earthquake hit.
The entire building was vibrating non-stop. It was a big hit we didnt feel no aftershocks though, McFarlane said. Afterwards, he was contacted by Hazard Management Cayman Islands about the threat of a tsunami. He said everyone was put on alert and either contacted by telephone or by the police knocking on doors for people to get to higher ground, which on Little Cayman is either a little bluff in the middle of the island or the shelter along Spot Bay Road.
There was no panicking from locals or visitors, and everything went well, he said, adding thatpeople stayed in the shelter for about two hours until the all-clear was given. No one received any injuries, there were no sink holes opening up or structural damages to report, McFarlane said.
Bracker Barry Morgan said the earthquake felt horrible.
I see the building moving the government 25-metre pool spilled about 10,000 gallons of water.
It looked like an ocean going across the road. I felt earthquakes before but this one [was] scary, he said.
Over in Watering Place, Channings Connor said that after 2pm he was sharpening his machete when he felt the ground shaking and the vibrations getting stronger every minute. His truck started moving, he was losing his balance. At first, he said, he didnt know was going on.
The first thing that came to mind was go get my daughter. It was a frightening experience, he said.
Pam Andrews, who vacations on Cayman Brac, said she was underwater when the earthquake struck, and it sounded like the biggest boat ever was coming her way. And it kept getting louder and louder.
It was scary because we had never heard a boat that loud and we just dived deeper; 24 feet of water is not a good depth to avoid that size of a boat, she said. Andrews said the water got silty. My ears started hurting and I kept trying to depressure my ears. We dove for another half hour and found out later it was an earthquake, she said.
Dacia Henriquez, 36, who has lived on Little Cayman since 2011, said she had just arrived at the school to pick up her daughters report card when the earthquake struck.
The building starting shaking. At first, I thought it was from the construction next door until the children started hollering Earthquake and dived under the desks. I went under the desks with all the kids too, Henriquez said.
She said they waited with the four children until the shaking stopped; then the phones started ringing from the Cayman Brac School. They told them to get to the shelter or higher ground.
She was also told to check the shoreline to see if the water was receding and to assist with evacuation if it was happening.
But where could we go? We were already at the highest point, she said.
She said people start filling the shelters, some driving, some walking there. Even the tourists that were staying at the resorts went to the shelters, she said. The tourists were scared because some said they had never experienced an earthquake before, she said.
Despite the threat of a tsunami, Henriquez said most people were calm and didnt panic.
Julia Hislop in Stake Bay was taking an afternoon nap on her couch when her husband shouted there was an earthquake.
The house was swaying, there was a huge roar like thunder, we ran in the garden and the gardener said all the trees were swaying and he was having a hard time standing up. We then realised we were having an earthquake. It was quite scary, Hislop said.
Originally posted here:
- Fears of Coronavirus Catastrophe at Rikers Jail - The New York Times - March 31st, 2020
- Ahead of the Curve? - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- COVID-19: What's closed on Marco Island? - Marco News - March 31st, 2020
- During the coronavirus outbreak, a tale of two Rhode Islands - The Boston Globe - March 31st, 2020
- A Group of Islands in Northern Scotland Have Too Much Clean Energy, so They Are Producing Hydrogen Power - Interesting Engineering - March 31st, 2020
- Civil Defense Announces 11th COVID-19 Case on Big Island - Big Island Now - March 31st, 2020
- In the time of coronavirus, Vancouver Islands gardeners grow resilient - The Globe and Mail - March 31st, 2020
- All schools ordered to close in Solomon Islands - RNZ - March 31st, 2020
- Where To Get Hundreds Of Island Tunes For Animal Crossing: New Horizons, From Pop Songs To Theme Songs - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- For isolation, poetry is welcome relief: Island curators offer sites to browse - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - March 31st, 2020
- Report: Staten Island man charged in N.J. crash that killed 3 - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- 42 test positive for COVID-19 at Whidbey Island nursing home - The Daily Herald - March 31st, 2020
- Love Islands Paige Turley teaches Finn Tapp more Scottish lingo as they snuggle up in bed - The Sun - March 31st, 2020
- On Maine island, several people with guns allegedly cut down tree to block driveway and force quarantine - Boston.com - March 31st, 2020
- Painting a picture of an Island in crisis - Martha's Vineyard Times - March 31st, 2020
- What Will Coronavirus Crisis Mean for Mackinac Island Businesses, Tourism? - 9&10 News - March 31st, 2020
- The state of supermarkets on Staten Island: Grocers race to replenish supplies - SILive.com - March 31st, 2020
- Love Island's Dr Alex George lifts the lid on having sex during the coronavirus - Mirror Online - March 31st, 2020
- Staten Island Councilman With Multiple Speeding Tickets Explains Why Speed Cameras Are Bad - Gothamist - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island community board meetings this week - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Century 21 Department Store to open on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island St. Patricks Parade 2020: What you need to know about street closures - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- How do you run cattle and sheep in a swamp? This farm has done it for five generations - ABC News - February 29th, 2020
- The UnXplained season 2 premiere: Searching for buried treasure on Oak Island - AL.com - February 29th, 2020
- Staten Island's Best Dressed: Hearts of Hope Gala and more - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Harvey Weinstein Is in for a Rude Awakening on Rikers Island - The Daily Beast - February 29th, 2020
- Rea blasts Sykes over Phillip Island contact - Motorsport.com, Edition: Global - February 29th, 2020
- Overturned truck spills fuel on Staten Island Expressway to N.J. - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Rikers Island, Harvey Weinstein's new home, is a byword for prison brutality - The Guardian - February 29th, 2020
- Three honored Thursday for outstanding contributions to the Staten Island community - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- CHSAA boys basketball: 7 players named to Staten Islands all-division team - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- 5000 Year-Old Anatolian Sword Discovered On Venetian Island - Ancient Origins - February 29th, 2020
- Letter of Recommendation: 'Treasure Island' - The New York Times - February 29th, 2020
- Fever of Cownose rays spotted along coast of Sanibel Island - Wink News - February 29th, 2020
- NYPD: 14-year-old hit in the head during altercation at the Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 29th, 2020
- Fantasy Island Clips Tell You the Rules of That Wild Island - /FILM - February 13th, 2020
- Is Love Island scripted - are contestants told what to say? - Metro.co.uk - February 13th, 2020
- Drive-by shooting on Hilton Head Island has neighbor concerned, angry - WSAV-TV - February 13th, 2020
- Two Staten Island post offices open for passport processing on Presidents Day - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Synod says yes to Channel Islands transfer THE transfer of parishes in the Channel Islands from - Church Times - February 13th, 2020
- Deal Island Families Weigh In On the County's Next Renovation Project - WBOC TV 16 - February 13th, 2020
- Need a winter hike? Try White Rock Bay to Elephant Head Overlook at Antelope Island - KSL.com - February 13th, 2020
- Meet Pancakes, the newborn sloth at the Staten Island Zoo - SILive.com - February 13th, 2020
- Tribal claim adds new twist to Long Island bridge flap - Boston Herald - February 13th, 2020
- Local educators last full day on Parris Island - WNKY EXCLUSIVE - wnky.com - February 13th, 2020
- Rock Island police looking for suspect vehicle in hit-and-run crash - KWQC-TV6 - February 13th, 2020
- Brothers Arrested on Drug, Firearm Charges - Big Island Now - February 13th, 2020
- New Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce events planned for 2020 - Port City Daily - February 13th, 2020
- White Island volcano survivor out of coma and told of deaths of husband and daughter - The Guardian - February 13th, 2020
- Dave Pasternack Brings Italian Restaurant and Steakhouse to Troubled Staten Island Waterfront Development - Eater NY - February 13th, 2020
- Montauk Fishing Crew Overboard Off Fire Island - East Hampton Star - February 12th, 2020
- Grand Island moves forward with six-year road construction project plan - KSNB Local 4 - February 12th, 2020
- The Conventional Wisdom Still Stands: America Can Deal with China's Artificial Island Bases - War on the Rocks - February 12th, 2020
- ABC Act breaks down barriers to mental health care on-Island - Martha's Vineyard Times - February 12th, 2020
- Staten Island mornings: Todt Hill - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- Former Little Bay Islands Resident says Water Not Shut off in Community - VOCM - February 12th, 2020
- Poll: Who is Staten Islands best HS girls hoopster this season? - SILive.com - February 12th, 2020
- What Its Like to Be Quarantined on an Island Over Coronavirus Fears - SBS News - February 12th, 2020
- What's happening on Shelter Island the week of Feb. 13 - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - February 12th, 2020
- Hicks column: Would another layer of government on Johns Island stop growth? - Charleston Post Courier - February 12th, 2020
- Laughlintown family explores island life on 'Beachfront Bargain Hunt' - TribLIVE - February 12th, 2020
- Local News Padre Island residents satisfied after meeting with CCPD Ashley Portillo 8:51 PM, Feb - KRIS Corpus Christi News - February 5th, 2020
- Episode 969: The Island No One Owns : Planet Money - NPR - February 5th, 2020
- Yes, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is limited to one island per console - GamesRadar - February 5th, 2020
- Minotaurs Island - The New York Times - February 5th, 2020
- Individuals sought for questioning in connection with theft of purse at Staten Island Mall - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Public input will drive Grand Island transportation infrastructure plans - Grand Island Independent - February 5th, 2020
- Have you seen foxes on Staten Island? Youre not alone! - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- As SC island homes fall into ocean, owners behind them wonder if they're next - Charleston Post Courier - February 5th, 2020
- City finds no evidence of coyote population on Staten Island - SILive.com - February 5th, 2020
- Babies and children tear gassed during refugee protest on Greek island of Lesbos - Telegraph.co.uk - February 5th, 2020
- Man sails across the Pacific and crashes into Big Island rocky shoreline - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - February 5th, 2020
- Piers Morgan brands Love Island stars brain-dead after hilarious impression of Ched chatting up Jess - The Sun - February 5th, 2020
- Unassuming Canouan Island Is the Caribbean's Next Billionaire Playground - Cond Nast Traveler - February 5th, 2020
- Balboa Island's costly wooden benches are on their way out - Los Angeles Times - February 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island Oyster Roast in Pictures: A Chilly but Festive Shell-ebration - Island Free Press - February 5th, 2020
- Advocates concerned about rise of private assisted living beds on Vancouver Island - Nanaimo News NOW - February 5th, 2020
- Paradise Island apartment complex where fire destroyed building failed fire safety inspection in 2016 - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - February 4th, 2020
- 5 Indonesian Islands Black Women Should Visit That Are Not Bali - Essence - February 4th, 2020
- Kings Island's Orion giga coaster track is complete. Here's what it took to build it. - USA TODAY - February 4th, 2020