There are so many things that summer on the Vineyard promises us Islanders. Yes, there is the inundation of tourists with their multi-colored striped beach chairs, Thule racks, and the dreaded return of mopeds.
But those folks are what keep our little rock in the middle of the ocean running (some of the time). And the vast majority of those beach-going visitors are well-intentioned and kind, at least in my experience.
Apart from the slight inconveniences borne of a swelling population and some inconsiderate drivers who think Barnes Road is the Autobahn, summer promises so much happiness.
However, as we approach the month of April, the buzzing energy that normally fills my head with the joyful anticipation of catching bluefish at Eastville Beach and eating too many french fries at Nancys Snack Bar has turned to an unsettling stillness.
What would normally be a bustling Friday afternoon on Circuit Avenue in Oak Bluffs, with store owners sweeping sidewalks and friends greeting each other over morning coffee, has been replaced by CLOSED signs and masked faces.
The silence, although remarkable, is a reminder that people who live on Marthas Vineyard are doing their part to stem the spread of this virus, for the most part.
In Tisbury, one woman wearing a blue surgical mask was digging through her pocketbook for her wallet before going in for her weekly visit to Stop & Shop. I approached her, making sure to stand the appropriate distance away.
I really am trying to go out as little as I can; I live all the way in Aquinnah and it helps to save gas, the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said.
The woman said she often gets assistance from the Island Food Pantry and Helping Hands, but goes shopping when she feels able.
After seeing that I was wearing a facemask as well, she said, Its good to see people taking more precautions. I see so many people acting like nothing is wrong. But it seems like more people are getting the hint.
As a 75-year-old, the Aquinnah resident said she feels susceptible when she is out in public, and has had to change her routine drastically in the last few weeks.
I am older, and the whole thing is just so scary and upsetting for everyones life, the woman said. For me, its been adjusting to the acceptance that this might be the new normal for a while. Its a necessary adjustment.
Over at the Black Dog Bakery Cafe on State Road, a little window was open where people could get whatever beverages or baked goods they wanted, without having to enter the store.
Griffin Hughes, an Oak Bluffs fitness instructor at Evolve Pilates, approached the window with a smile and waved hello to the employees working diligently while sporting purple latex gloves.
My business is people, Hughes said. I am totally lost without that connection. That is one reason why this has been so hard on me.
In a time when personal face-to-face interactions are generally avoided with the exception of a Zoom call or a brief conversation at six feet Hughes said her day-to-day life has come to a screeching halt.
Everyone is connecting through screens, and I suppose its good we have that at least, she said, and went on to say that the hardest thing for her has been telling her 4-year-old son that he cant play with his friends.
Its so impossible to explain to a child that age that he cant go over to his friends house for a playdate, but I think he is starting to understand, Hughes said.
In a time when outside interactions must be limited to the best of ones abilities, Hughes said her immediate family relationships have grown ever closer.
I think, once this is all over, we will miss the time we spent together as a family, Hughes said. Everyone always wishes they could freeze time, well I think we have.
At Post Office Square in Oak Bluffs, Valli Hamilton was pulling a cart of mail and adjusting the elastics on her facemask.
Its reassuring to see people taking the necessary precautions, but it does make you scared, Hamilton said. Its eerie when you go down the street at 5 pm and there is no one out and about.
Hamilton is an employee at Stop & Shop in Edgartown, and said everyone who works there is required to wear protective equipment and practice safe social distancing.
Im doing alright, trying to keep myself safe, and counting my blessings, Hamilton said.
Right down the street, in front of a vacant Mocha Motts, retired Dukes County Superior Court clerk of courts Joe Sollitto walked his cavalier King Charles spaniel, Sophie, toward the harbor.
Also donning a mask, Sollitto said he has been taking a lot of long walks with his dog and reading lots of good books.
Reading and exercise are necessities, Sollitto said. I think this is going to last a while, but its good to see that people are being safe when they are out.
As he continued his stroll toward the water, Sollitto turned and said, This is how Oak Bluffs used to look in the winter many, many years ago.
Over on Head of Pond Road one of my favorite spots to catch brown trout and laugh with my friends a lone fisherman, who asked to remain anonymous, was casting a shiny spinner out into the shimmering water of Upper Lagoon Pond.
This is where I come to clear my head. Its really meditative, and there arent as many people fishing with all this craziness going on, the man said.
After pulling up his third baby brown trout of the afternoon and tossing it back into the pond, the man laughed and said, Who needs to hit the town when the fish are biting? This is where the action is.
Living on an Island with so many winding woodland trails and sandy spits of beach to enjoy, the man said he feels lucky to be here, especially during a time of crisis.
We should all thank our lucky stars to live here. I know times are tough right now, but that sunset is going to be beautiful tonight, he said.
Originally posted here:
- St. Paul Island has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but the community isn't letting down its guard - Alaska Public Media News - November 19th, 2020
- Number of Illegal Migrants Reaching Canary Islands on the Rise Amid COVID-19 - SchengenVisaInfo.com - November 19th, 2020
- Three players at Sea Island test positive for COVID-19 - ESPN - November 19th, 2020
- Mercer Island teen behind international COVID-19 data website tests positive for virus - KING5.com - November 19th, 2020
- An Iceberg the Size of South Georgia Island is on a Collision Course with South Georgia Island - Universe Today - November 19th, 2020
- The US's plans to keep a foothold against China in the Pacific have 'one huge blind spot' - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island artists recognized for work in diversity, justice as part of 2020 Creative Climate Awards - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- On Horse Island, students take regenerative design 'off the grid' - Yale News - November 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Reaching the Last Coronavirus-Free Nations on Earth - TIME - November 19th, 2020
- Avoiding storms and sea monsters on an impromptu paddle to Fishers Island - theday.com - November 19th, 2020
- Queer-Inclusive The Wilds Trailer Has Teen Girls on a Deserted Island - Advocate.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for Nov. 18, 2020 - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island schools begin weekly coronavirus testing: What you need to know - silive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor: Nov. 12-Nov. 19 - Shelter Island Reporter - November 19th, 2020
- Blue whales are returning to a tiny island in the sub-Antarctic 50 years after whaling in the region brought - Business Insider India - November 19th, 2020
- Hatteras Island power supply much more stable now - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 19th, 2020
- Billionaire William Gross Accused Of Blasting Gilligans Island Theme Song In Neighbor Dispute - CBS Los Angeles - November 19th, 2020
- Rowena Pagan and team help feed the houseless community - The Garden Island - November 19th, 2020
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020