As the coronavirus spread rapidly through the rest of Southold Town, Fishers Island residents have banded together to avoid potential catastrophe on their remote, four-square-mile island.
Just two cases of COVID-19 have been documented among islanders, according to officials at the Island Health Project, a nonprofit formed to raise funds for Dr. Chris Ingram, the small communitys only physician.
The first patient was evacuated March 27 via marine Sea Stretcher to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London, Conn., and discharged April 1. That patient and a family member who also tested positive are now both recovering at their primary residence off-island, officials said.
Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell said Monday that the town is looking into how numbers are reported for Fishers Island.
Residents usually seek medical treatment at health care facilities in Connecticut, Mr. Russell said. I do not know if there is reporting to the New York State Department of Health of any positive cases.
Four people listed as persons of interest have completed isolation periods and Dr. Ingrams latest update on Friday noted that there are no new cases of COVID-19 to report.
The Island Health Project and Island Community Board have teamed up to urge homeowners coming to the island to abide by a strict set of protocols to limit potential spread of the virus and because limited resources are available locally.
Any residents arriving on Fishers Island are asked to self-quarantine and practice social distancing measures even if they are returning from a quick trip off-island to run errands.
Think carefully before coming, or leaving and returning, Dr. Ingram wrote in an April 10 letter.
The ferry, which is running on a reduced schedule of three round-trips per day, also has precautions in place to limit exposure, now prohibiting riders from exiting their vehicles while in line for or on board the ferry.
The Village Market, the islands sole grocery store, remains closed but is accepting orders via call or text, and the post office has restrictions in place to limit the number of people inside at any given time.
Before Gov. Andrew Cuomos mandate that New Yorkers wear masks in public spaces, Fishers Island residents were already being urged to take the precaution.
Dr. Ingram developed an unofficial health census to track COVID-19 to prepare for community needs as well as track how many part-time residents have flocked to the haven, which has approximately 250 year-round residents.
The head count currently stands at about 500 people, but he said he believes hes missed many households.
The population grew very quickly as seasonal residents moved back to their homes there to shelter from the virus, Mr. Russell said. Still, he said, the remote nature of Fishers Island and population numbers, which increase seasonally to approximately 2,000, are not ideal conditions for the virus to spread. Being on an island, theyre much less likely to frequent more densely populated areas where infection is more likely, the supervisor said.
Last week, Dr. Ingram said island organizations are working to get a supply of virus and antibody tests to Fishers Island.
A group of volunteers is helping to explore solutions for supply and funding, he wrote April 17. Testing at this point is imperfect, so its not 100% clear how testing results could be applied to our situation. Nevertheless, we believe testing protocols will be critical to maintaining safety and order on the island as the summer season approaches.
In his latest update April 24, Dr. Ingram protocols for the summer must be developed in line with state policies. This summer will be very different from normal, the physician warned residents, adding that childrens programs and institutions will likely remain closed and big parties are definitely discouraged.
Please begin envisioning your summer to be simpler and more family oriented, less social, more self-sufficient and less reliant on services of various kinds, Dr. Ingram told residents.
He said even a modest increase in population will increase the risk for an outbreak on Fishers Island. With that in mind, Dr. Ingram said they are trying to bring additional medical staff to the island but residents shouldnt take that as false hope that theyre protected.
In the meantime, all residents of Fishers Island are being urged to continue social distancing to stop the spread of the virus.
Fishers Island Justice Louisa Evans, a member of the Southold Town Board and island resident, said its heartening to see how the organizations are working to keep residents safe, even without the presence of a local governing body.
It seems like people are taking the correct precautions and following guidelines. In a small community like ours, it is important that people willingly come together to establish expectations and help and look out for each other, she said.
- A Maine island is being billed as a private pandemic playground for the wealthy elite - Bangor Daily News - July 11th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - July 11th, 2020
- Feds announce $7 million plan to seal Prince of Wales Island uranium mine - KRBD - July 11th, 2020
- High school fall sports season on Staten Island still very much up in the air, says AD - SILive.com - July 11th, 2020
- Deiveson Figueiredo Tests Positive for COVID-19 Ahead of UFC Fight Island Event - Bleacher Report - July 11th, 2020
- Island Heights, N.J.: A Magical Place Thats a Step Out of Time - The New York Times - July 11th, 2020
- This private island is for sale in Loch Lomond, Scotland and it's the same price as a London flat - HouseBeautiful.com - July 11th, 2020
- Two new cases bring Island total to 40 - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Beware of jellyfish: Padre Island National Seashore tells visitors to pack vinegar to treat stings - mySA - July 11th, 2020
- Personality test: What Kings Island ride are you? - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island opens to the public Friday. Here are all the new rules and requirements - The Cincinnati Enquirer - July 11th, 2020
- Island at 38 confirmed cases - Martha's Vineyard Times - July 11th, 2020
- Kings Island employee tests positive for coronavirus - Hamilton Journal News - July 11th, 2020
- From hurricanes to coronavirus, three Puerto Rican athletes share their stories of what the island has faced - ESPN - July 11th, 2020
- 'They are just doing their own thing on an island': Doctor wants more COVID-19 coordination with Test Nebraska - KETV Omaha - July 11th, 2020
- Roosevelt Island Operating Corp. head fired over 'racially and sexually offensive' remarks - New York Post - June 20th, 2020
- Empire Outlets, Staten Island Mall: What Phase 2 means for Staten Island shoppers - SILive.com - June 20th, 2020
- Braised in the South food truck will settle down on Johns Island this summer - Charleston City Paper - June 20th, 2020
- A phased reopening - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- Boch provides a boost for Island charities - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 20th, 2020
- Big Island Road Closures, June 20 to June 26 - Big Island Now - June 20th, 2020
- Diego, the tortoise who saved his entire species, finally retires to uninhabited island - CNN - June 20th, 2020
- Town of Grand Island partners with local agencies to address questions related to solar energy - Niagara Frontier Publications - June 20th, 2020
- UFC fills out first four cards for Fight Island debut in July - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- The island with a key to our future - BBC News - June 20th, 2020
- Interisland travelers tell all - Thegardenisland.com - June 20th, 2020
- MTM On The Road: A Tour Around Mackinac Island - 9 & 10 News - 9&10 News - June 20th, 2020
- Large mass of grasses creates floating island in Muskegon - WNEM Saginaw - June 20th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson posts poignant tribute to Sophie Gradon two years after suicide - Mirror Online - June 20th, 2020
- Town Council considering ordinance to require mask wearing on island - Block Island Times - June 20th, 2020
- Think twice before booking off-island travel, says Jersey Consumer Council - ITV News - June 20th, 2020
- UFC 251 -- Which fighter faces the most pressure on Fight Island? - ESPN - June 20th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Whiddy in the same boat - Irish Examiner - June 1st, 2020
- Mackinac Island eases into summer season with soft, soft opening - MLive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Watch Rivers Cuomo cover Jesus Christ Superstar song for Islands In The Zoom sessions - NME - June 1st, 2020
- Hundreds gather at Brown's Island: 'We are going to protest peacefully' - wtvr.com - June 1st, 2020
- New COVID-19 case with ties to San Juan Island under investigation - SanJuanIslander.com - June 1st, 2020
- Meet kumu the whitesaddle goatfish - Thegardenisland.com - June 1st, 2020
- Cruise the Greek Islands with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon - The New Yorker - June 1st, 2020
- No new COVID-19 cases reported on Big Island - West Hawaii Today - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 31, 2020 - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Staten Island ShopRite melee ignites feuding factions on masks in pandemic - silive.com - June 1st, 2020
- Allow Staten Island students to have outdoor graduation ceremonies, city official says - SILive.com - June 1st, 2020
- The island that can save America | TheHill - The Hill - June 1st, 2020
- Long wait to reopen is over for Vancouver Island gyms Vancouver Island Free Daily - vancouverislandfreedaily.com - June 1st, 2020
- A Vancouver Island Road Trip of Crisp Wines and Gigantic Trees - Cond Nast Traveler - May 15th, 2020
- Up-Island towns uneasy about summer influx - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 15th, 2020
- Rock Island County reports another COVID-19 death - Quad City Times - May 15th, 2020
- Kite-surfing and social distancing, but no Sullivans at Castle Island - The Boston Globe - May 15th, 2020
- A grand opening - Thegardenisland.com - May 15th, 2020
- Long before Covid-19, these islands were a refuge from plague - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Booth doing 'virtual' concert to raise Trooper Island funds - WTVQ - May 15th, 2020
- Love Island's Finley Tapp creates Scottish lockdown survival kit while isolating with Paige Turley - Daily Record - May 15th, 2020
- The Womens Jail at Rikers Island Is Named for My Grandmother. She Would Not Be Proud. - The New York Times - May 15th, 2020
- Top Cuban Official Accuses America Of Committing Acts Of Terrorism Against Island Nation - CBS Miami - May 15th, 2020
- Grand Island Public Schools Foundation launching Give GIPS Week - Grand Island Independent - May 15th, 2020
- District Court judge: City of Bellevue cannot engage in 'island annexation' - Omaha World-Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Rare blue dragons are washing up on the Padre Island National Seashore - CNN - May 15th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Privately-gated community with panoramic views, $3M - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Antibody testing begins on the Big Island - West Hawaii Today - May 11th, 2020
- Hardwood logging on Manus Island has not delivered promised local benefits, report finds - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Coronavirus claims 11 more Staten Islanders; more than 2K released from Island hospitals - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- South Padre Island properties unphased by COVID-19 housing market, realtor explains - KGBT-TV - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island's Malin Andersson felt 'shame' for staying with abusive ex after he 'beat her up' - Mirror Online - May 11th, 2020
- Love Island 2020 could be set for surprise return this Autumn after cancellation - RadioTimes - May 11th, 2020
- Tunnel to Towers Foundation working to take care of Staten Island - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for May 10, 2020 - SILive.com - May 11th, 2020
- Reveling in the Enigmatic Beauty of Easter Island - The New York Times - May 11th, 2020
- Help for parents and teachers; author gives tips - Shelter Island Reporter - Shelter Island Reporter - May 11th, 2020
- NYC's Coney Island Beach in Cyclone of Confusion for Summer - THE CITY - May 11th, 2020
- Danny Dyer says Love Island is a "pile of s**t" and leaves The Ranganation viewers - digitalspy.com - May 11th, 2020
- Island Luck CEO: No logic or rational in govt. decision making - EyeWitness News - May 11th, 2020
- Staten Island Zoo to host virtual meet and greet with exotic animals: How to attend - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020
- Artists campaign against Bristol Spike Island eviction of Howard Silverman - The Guardian - May 1st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Woman took son to Greek island to 'protect him from COVID-19' - Sky News - May 1st, 2020
- TSB investigation into Island Queen III incident issues three concerns - The Kingston Whig-Standard - May 1st, 2020
- This Tech Conference Is Being Held on an Animal Crossing Island - VICE - May 1st, 2020
- Island COVID-19 confirmed cases rise to 19 - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 1st, 2020
- VIRTUAL TOUR Island Farm: Going back in time to coastal farm life in the 1800s | The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - May 1st, 2020
- Car thieves flocking to Staten Island during pandemic, many of them repeat offenders - SILive.com - May 1st, 2020