Piles of sand still block the side streets and more than half of Oak Islands public parking locations one month after Hurricane Isaias made landfall. (Port City Daily photo/Johanna F. Still)
OAK ISLAND After being closed off to traffic and visitors for a month in the middle of the islands busiest season, Oak Island reopened its west end Friday morning, right in time for Labor Day weekend.
For town officials and residents anxious to get the town back open after Hurricane Isaias, the move is a sign of hope and progress. With so much revenue already lost, Labor Day weekend may be the towns last chance to recoup funds before tourist season settles down.
Related: After Isaias, Oak Island to consider new mandatory evacuation policy for named storms
But for many others, the towns decision to reopen seems like a mistake. Isaias hardest-hit coastal community is still recovering from a six-foot storm surge that flooded dozens of cars and wiped out ground-level structures. Though the town has authorized a $2 million construction debris and removal contract, the damage still litters many right-of-ways, though crews have begun the process of cleaning up the water-damaged materials.
By now, the overwash sand has been scraped and cleared from all roadways, but piles of sand remain lumped along every other oceanside side street. The sand must be sifted and cleaned before the town is able to use it to replenish its devastated dune structures, but can only do so after Nov. 15 to comply with federal sea turtle protection rules.
This conundrum needing sand, having it, but being unable to use it while it blocks public accesses and roadways leaves the island still in bad shape post-Isaias. Its still hurricane season, with the possibility of another major storm posing a major threat to any oceanfront property owner.
When the town announced it would officially reopen, residents pushed back, describing the western end as a disaster zone.
Full-time resident Shannon Read said Friday the town gave itself an impossible task in promising a Labor Day weekend reopening date. Several people have had flat tires from construction debris, construction crews frequent the roads, and internet and cell service is still spotty, she said.
It looks like a war zone still with all the debris all over, she said. Short term rentals should not be allowed until this is all cleaned in my opinion.
Less than half of all public accesses and parking areas remain closed as of Thursday, according to a town parking guide. With parking limited and pent-up demand possibly high, visitors may have a hard time finding a spot among the lumps of sand.
Oak Island Water Rescue Chief Tony Young said though its out of his purview, he is concerned about beachgoers crossing the road safely while debris continues to block views and construction crews are abundant.
Just being on a rescue squad, you worry about peoples safety, Young said. Its going to be a while until they get all of that out there.
Though Young wouldnt say the beachfront was 100% safe, he said most floating debris had already surfaced by now. I think its as safe as it can be. But theres always a chance something could show back up.
Mostly, his safety concerns surround foot traffic on the western end. Its just going to be a lot of people in an area that right now I dont think in that area is ready.
On Monday, Mayor Ken Thomas told his Facebook followers the town was moving at an impossibly fast pace to get opened by Friday. When announcing the met goal, Thomas wrote, Its not pretty but were open!
Thomas did not respond to requests to address residents concerns about reopening.
Tuesday, Council will consider adopting a new policy that would automatically trigger the mandatory evacuation of visitors for named storms projected to make landfall near the island. Failing to issue a mandatory evacuation before Isaias has been a major criticism the town has faced in its recovery efforts, given the extensive oceanfront damage it suffered during the Category 1 hurricane.
Read more coverage out of Oak Island post-Isaias:
Send tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow this link:
- St. Paul Island has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, but the community isn't letting down its guard - Alaska Public Media News - November 19th, 2020
- Number of Illegal Migrants Reaching Canary Islands on the Rise Amid COVID-19 - SchengenVisaInfo.com - November 19th, 2020
- Three players at Sea Island test positive for COVID-19 - ESPN - November 19th, 2020
- Mercer Island teen behind international COVID-19 data website tests positive for virus - KING5.com - November 19th, 2020
- An Iceberg the Size of South Georgia Island is on a Collision Course with South Georgia Island - Universe Today - November 19th, 2020
- The US's plans to keep a foothold against China in the Pacific have 'one huge blind spot' - Business Insider - Business Insider - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island artists recognized for work in diversity, justice as part of 2020 Creative Climate Awards - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- On Horse Island, students take regenerative design 'off the grid' - Yale News - November 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is Reaching the Last Coronavirus-Free Nations on Earth - TIME - November 19th, 2020
- Avoiding storms and sea monsters on an impromptu paddle to Fishers Island - theday.com - November 19th, 2020
- Queer-Inclusive The Wilds Trailer Has Teen Girls on a Deserted Island - Advocate.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island obituaries for Nov. 18, 2020 - SILive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Staten Island schools begin weekly coronavirus testing: What you need to know - silive.com - November 19th, 2020
- Shelter Island Reporter Letters to the Editor: Nov. 12-Nov. 19 - Shelter Island Reporter - November 19th, 2020
- Blue whales are returning to a tiny island in the sub-Antarctic 50 years after whaling in the region brought - Business Insider India - November 19th, 2020
- Hatteras Island power supply much more stable now - The Coastland Times - The Coastland Times - November 19th, 2020
- Billionaire William Gross Accused Of Blasting Gilligans Island Theme Song In Neighbor Dispute - CBS Los Angeles - November 19th, 2020
- Rowena Pagan and team help feed the houseless community - The Garden Island - November 19th, 2020
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020