Travis Marshall, For 10Best.com Published 7:00 a.m. ET Aug. 5, 2020 | Updated 12:59 p.m. ET Aug. 5, 2020
You don't need to hop a plane to the Caribbean to enjoy a relaxing island escape full of great beaches and far-flung adventures.
If you're more inclined to take a road trip than fly amid the coronavirus pandemic, the United State has plenty of beautiful island getaways you can drive to.
10Best.com has put together 10 of the best island escapes in America that you can reach by car. But be sure to familiarize yourself with local restrictions on travel in each location, and check with any businesses for the latest updates on closures and visitor requirements before you go.
But if you do want to go to the Caribbean: We've also got you covered with Caribbean resort sales and entry requirements
Coronado, California(Photo: iStock / f11photo)
A laid-back island escape just a short drive from the heart of downtown San Diego, Coronado Island boasts a long stretch of award-winning beach that sparkles in the sun thanks to a mineral in the sand called mica.
The small beach town is the perfect place to rent a bike and explore the beautiful gardens. And if you're spending the night, the historic Hotel del Coronado is a must-stay.
Florida Keys(Photo: iStock / GabrielPevide)
The Florida Keys are a necklace of tropical islands connected by the Overseas Highway, running from Key Largo, just south of Miami, to the end of the road at Key West.
In 2009, the famed highway was designated an All-American Road, the highest recognition under the National Scenic Byways program. The drive offers a myriad of island escapes with a beautiful blend of emerald-green harbors, turquoise seas, swaying palms and wildlife-rich mangroves.
Chincoteague Island, Virginia(Photo: iStock / Mak_photo)
Virginia's Chincoteague Island is best known for two things: sumptuously salty oysters and its unique population of wild ponies. The island is part of a 14,000-acre national wildlife refuge, which means it remains blissfully underdeveloped.
Tours offer the chance to see the wild ponies in their natural habitat, or visit during late July to watch the local "saltwater cowboys" move the herd on their annual pony swim.
Tybee Island, Georgia(Photo: iStock / Douglas Rissing)
The sleepy beach town on Tybee Island may be one of the best-kept secrets in all of the American Southeast. This under-the-radar barrier island sits along the pristine Georgia coast just 30 minutes from the historic colonial center of Savannah.
It makes the ideal spot for every sort of beach activity, from beach-combing for shells along the secluded northern beaches to kite surfing and kayaking with dolphins from the wind-swept south end.
Marco Island, Florida(Photo: iStock / Robert Mintzes)
Florida's Marco Island sits along the Gulf Coast between Naples and the mangroves of the Ten Thousand Islands as they stretch into the Everglades. Here you can find perfect white sand beaches along with some of the best beachfront dining in the state.
Orcas Island, Washington(Photo: iStock / SEASTOCK)
Drive onto a Washington state ferry in Anacortes, and you'll soon land on Orcas Island, a rugged, rainforest-clad jewel in the San Juan Islands.
Take a whale watching tour to spot killer whales spy hopping in the emerald sea or hike through lush forests to visit Cascade Falls in Moran State Park. A drive to the top of Mount Constitution offers exceptional views of the islands and snowcapped peaks in the distance.
Outer Banks, North Carolina(Photo: iStock / NikonShutterman)
Off the coast of North Carolina, the barrier islands of the Outer Banks are connected by a coastal highway, offering easy access to many great beaches and attractions, from Cape Hatteras National Seashore to the site of the Wright brothers' first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk.
Not to mention, you'll find miles of off-road beach and opportunities for great fishing, surfing, scuba diving and many other watersports.
Mount Desert Island, Maine(Photo: iStock / S_Hoss)
Mount Desert Island, Maine's largest island, is a popular escape for those looking to truly get away from it all. Those looking to hobnob can stay in Bar Harbor to see the estates of Millionaire's Row and hike Cadillac Mountain. But nature fans should head straight to Acadia National Park, where you can explore remote beaches and glacier-cut canyons.
Thousand Islands, New York(Photo: iStock / Vladone)
The Thousand Islands in Upstate New York are the eponymous home of Thousand Island dressing, which you can sample at its birthplace in Clayton, and they also sit along the Great Lakes Seaway Trail, an iconic and picturesque drive past Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River.
The region is chock-full of activities, such as world-class fishing and birdwatching. And don't miss the chance to explore a unique pair of island castles, Boldt Castle and Singer Castle.
South Bass Island, Ohio(Photo: iStock / SkyF)
Nicknamed "Key West of the Midwest" for its eclectic characters and lively nightlife, Put-in-Bay is a town on South Bass Island in the Ohio section of Lake Erie. A car ferry makes it easy to drive onto the island, and once there you can rent a bike, golf cart or scooter to get around the friendly town.
Adventurers can take a kayaking trip on the lake or visit Crystal Cave to see the world's largest geode.
Read the original:
- April Freely Appointed Executive Director of Fire Island Artist Residency - Artforum - October 19th, 2020
- UFC Fight Island 6 Bonus Coverage - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 19th, 2020
- Do not be pressured to expose our island - The Garden Island - October 19th, 2020
- Joint Statement from the Citizens for Eagle Island and The Howard Hughes Corporation - hellowoodlands.com - October 19th, 2020
- On Brazils Island of Cats, Virus Led to Starvation - VOA Learning English - October 19th, 2020
- Donor offers $250K for lighthouse work near Mackinac Island, now its a race against winter - MLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Rock Island High hosts public forums on renovations - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - October 19th, 2020
- The Third Day Theory: Helen Is The Mother Of Osea Island - Screen Rant - October 19th, 2020
- 19th Street drowning is Tybee Islands 5th this year, officials say - WSAV-TV - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island's Curtis Pritchard and Amy Hart reunite during recording of his new podcast - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Staten Island Home of the Week: Castle-like estate, overlooking the entire island, $5.5M - SILive.com - October 19th, 2020
- Bucket brigade: Lack of water hampers response as Bondis Island Agawam landfill fire smolders for 3rd day - MassLive.com - October 19th, 2020
- 'Love Island' Winners Justine and Caleb Reunite and Theyre Just The Cutest - Essence - October 19th, 2020
- Touchless bathrooms, UV lights, HEPA filters: Rogers Coney Island unveils safety-influenced renovations - Fall River Herald News - October 19th, 2020
- Love Island USA winners reunite for relationship update - Digital Spy - October 19th, 2020
- Inter-island travel to return for Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, while Hawaii County opts-out - KHON2 - October 19th, 2020
- Providencia: An island with a 'sea of seven colours' - BBC News - October 19th, 2020
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sunsets on Cape Cod and the islands are beautiful this summer. Here are 20 reader-submitted photos to prove it. - Boston.com - August 10th, 2020
- Exploring the vast, rolling hills of the Faroe Islands - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Daufuskie Island offers a taste of the simple life in the Lowcountry - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Small islands, big ambitions - Irish Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Second-Annual Garden Island bodyboarding a success - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Waterfowl Hunting Permits Available for Deal Island, Fairmount - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Why 'Renovation Island' Hosts Bryan and Sarah Baeumler Will Never Become the Next Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Island Fights greatest: 10 fighters who reached the highest stage after Island Fights - Pensacola News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Discovering Lastovo, Croatia's Southernmost Inhabited Island - Total Croatia News - August 10th, 2020
- DNR: Conservation officer rescues two men stranded near an island - KESQ - August 10th, 2020
- Grand Island football team in quarantine; one staffer tests positive for coronavirus - Omaha World-Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Nuclear watchdog opposes any agreement that would transfer ownership of Three Mile Island Unit 2 - LancasterOnline - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes you can drive to - USA Today 10Best - August 9th, 2020
- Grand Island School district expects technical devices will be in high demand as more students learn remotely - WIVB.com - News 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Community Health Action of Staten Island distributes boxes of fresh free food from Fresh Direct - SILive.com - August 9th, 2020
- Five new bridges leading to Deira Islands open to traffic - The National - August 8th, 2020
- Head of island police station to be removed over lax virus checks | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- Still without power? Con Ed giving away dry ice at Staten Island Mall Saturday - silive.com - August 8th, 2020