SYRACUSE Many find that winter is the best time to hike the trails on Antelope Island.
Most of the island's trails have little to no snow throughout the winter, with the exception of Frary Peak Trail, which can have a few feet of snow right after a snowstorm. And one of the best reasons to hike the island in winter is the pesky biting buffalo gnats are not around.
Elephant Head is a rocky outcropping on the west side of Antelope Island. From certain spots on the island (and with a little imagination) this rock outcropping looks like the head of an elephant with two large ears on the sides and a trunk that extends out toward the Great Salt Lake.
The 8.2-mile out-and-back trail from White Rock Bay to Elephant Head Overlook is a great winter hike. This hike starts at the trailhead near the Whiterock Bay campgrounds. It begins heading south with the first part of the trail flat. You come to a large open valley within a few hundred yards. The trail through the valley, called Bone Road Trail, is quite wide, which suggests that it was once used by motor vehicles. You can see most of the 2.7 miles that lay in front of you.
It's a nice walk through the valley, and you can focus on the lone tree toward the end of the valley trail. There is a slight incline as you near the tree. As you look back, you realize that you have actually been going ever so slightly uphill.
The trail splits at the end of the valley, where a trail sign designates White Rock Loop to the left and to the Elephant Head Spur and Split Rock Loop to the right. Follow the trail sign to the right. You will start climbing a little more as you pass the lone tree with a horse hitching post near it. At this point, the trail climbs through some rock formations on a north-facing slope. This area is shaded from the sun and you may encounter some snow in the winter.
As you come around the corner through the rocks, another trail sign indicates the Elephant Head Spur, which takes you in a west direction. You can pause here and look to the southwest, where you will see the 5-mile Split Rock Loop trail leading down through another open valley. Be sure to check out the south-facing slopes, as mule deer often graze these sunlit areas. If you carry a pair of binoculars, you might even spot a few of the big mule deer bucks in the area.
Follow the Elephant Head Spur for 1.4 miles through rocks and boulders. Look closely at the rocks and try to find conglomerate boulders called diamictite. These are large, dark boulders with smaller rocks embedded in them. As you hike Elephant Head Spur, look out to the north; youll be able to see down to Bone Road Trail and marvel at how far you've come.
The trail turns to the south at the farthest western point of Elephant Head Spur. Continue south for a few hundred yards and youll come to the end of the spur. The panoramic views are wonderful from this vantage point. You can look south down on the Split Rock Trail, east toward some of the island's highest peaks, and west over the Great Salt Lake and the Stansbury mountain range. Fremont Island and the Promontory mountain range are to the north.
You can plan your hike so you are at the spur overlook just in time for lunch or some trail snacks before heading back, or you can get out early or in the evening and spend some time listening for the howl and yips of coyotes before turning back.
This trail is open to hikers, trail runners, mountain bikers and equestrians. Be courteous.
- Wish Upon a Food Truck Festival kicks off Saturday on City Island - ABC27 - September 18th, 2020
- A journalist's death stunned a small Island nation and ignited a fight for truth and justice - NBC News - September 18th, 2020
- Ice Age Cave Bear Found Preserved in Permafrost on Siberian Island - Smithsonian Magazine - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island mom becomes a TikTok star with her videos about food, parenting advice - silive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Hunters fight off reported grizzly bear near Island Park - East Idaho News - September 18th, 2020
- Going green: Governors Island could soon house climate center - The Real Deal - September 18th, 2020
- Island Coast High School student arrested for texting threats to teacher - Wink News - September 18th, 2020
- Dream Honeymoons: Get Thee to an Island - My New Orleans - September 18th, 2020
- Jane Rogers position terminated -- for now -- by the Staten Island Yankees - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- David Robinson was left on an island during the 1995 Western Conference Finals - Pounding The Rock - September 18th, 2020
- Love Island USA: Season 2 Episode 22 TV Schedule, Streaming Options & Recap - Screen Rant - September 18th, 2020
- Staten Island Shakespearean Theatre embraces facial coverings in 'The Two Gentlemen of Verona production - SILive.com - September 18th, 2020
- Some Island kids return to in-person learning - Martha's Vineyard Times - September 18th, 2020
- BREAKING: Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure, and Volcano Bay Theme Parks All Currently Closed at Capacity - wdwnt.com - September 8th, 2020
- OBITUARY: Janice Elaine Austin Lee, 85, of Merritt Island Passed Away on August 27 - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- 'They're so vulnerable': Coronavirus hits tribes of isolated Andaman Islands - NBC News - September 8th, 2020
- Five forgotten Greek islands to visit right now - Telegraph.co.uk - September 8th, 2020
- Fixer uppers: Used bike project to benefit Caribbean island - GazetteNET - September 8th, 2020
- Staten Island Mall reopens Wednesday: What you need to know - SILive.com - September 8th, 2020
- South Padre Island businesses picking up over Labor Day weekend - KGBT-TV - September 8th, 2020
- Small Demonstration Against Temptation Island Filming Urges Government Leaders to Protect Hawaii - Maui Now - September 8th, 2020
- Love Has Won escorted to airport - Thegardenisland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Want to Re-Think New York City? Start with Rikers Island. - City Limits - September 8th, 2020
- Guam records island's youngest coronavirus-related fatality over Labor Day weekend - Stars and Stripes - September 8th, 2020
- Amended orders: Inter-island travel restrictions eased among most islands - EyeWitness News - September 8th, 2020
- The best hotels on the British and Channel islands | Telegraph Travel - The Telegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Oak Island aimed for an 'impossibly fast' reopening. Was it too rushed? - Port City Daily - September 8th, 2020
- Chief Read: Island weathered the storm well with a good response in restoring power - Shelter Island - Shelter Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Cameron: The City Island Monorail - CT Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Full List of Big Island Primary Election Results - Big Island Now - August 10th, 2020
- This Day In History, August 10th, 2020 - "Last Island Hurricane" - Signals AZ - August 10th, 2020
- Mediapro Supplies OneSoccer With Broadcast Infrastructure of CPL The Island Games Tournament - Sports Video Group - August 10th, 2020
- Car crash on Block Island kills teen, seriously injures another - The Providence Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Eddie Hearn Has Boxing's Answer to the UFC's Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 10th, 2020
- Solid Waste Division OT over budget again | The Garden Island - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Mercer Island Thrift Shop, recycling center renovations to take longer - Mercer Island Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- 8 outdoor workouts across the North Fork and Shelter Island to keep you happy and fit - Northforker - August 10th, 2020
- China Is Counting On Island Outposts To Project PowerBut U.S. Troops Could Capture Them - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- TV tonight: A beautiful trip to the Galpagos Islands - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Missing sailors stranded on Pacific island saved by giant SOS in the sand - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- 11 Things To Know Before Visiting Channel Islands National Park - TravelAwaits - August 10th, 2020
- Couple who live on old Ellis Island ferryboat launches S.I. tours - SILive.com - August 10th, 2020
- OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR News Release Governor Ige reinstating partial inter-island travel quarantine - David Y. Ige | Newsroom - August 10th, 2020
- 4 private islands for rent within driving distance from Atlanta - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes in the US that you can drive to - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- "Once On This Island" Adaptation to be Developed for Disney+ - wdwnt.com - August 10th, 2020
- Sunsets on Cape Cod and the islands are beautiful this summer. Here are 20 reader-submitted photos to prove it. - Boston.com - August 10th, 2020
- Exploring the vast, rolling hills of the Faroe Islands - Far Out Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- Daufuskie Island offers a taste of the simple life in the Lowcountry - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 10th, 2020
- Islands of Ireland: Small islands, big ambitions - Irish Examiner - August 10th, 2020
- Second-Annual Garden Island bodyboarding a success - Thegardenisland.com - August 10th, 2020
- Waterfowl Hunting Permits Available for Deal Island, Fairmount - The Southern Maryland Chronicle - August 10th, 2020
- Why 'Renovation Island' Hosts Bryan and Sarah Baeumler Will Never Become the Next Chip and Joanna Gaines of HGTV - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Island Fights greatest: 10 fighters who reached the highest stage after Island Fights - Pensacola News Journal - August 10th, 2020
- Discovering Lastovo, Croatia's Southernmost Inhabited Island - Total Croatia News - August 10th, 2020
- DNR: Conservation officer rescues two men stranded near an island - KESQ - August 10th, 2020
- Grand Island football team in quarantine; one staffer tests positive for coronavirus - Omaha World-Herald - August 10th, 2020
- Nuclear watchdog opposes any agreement that would transfer ownership of Three Mile Island Unit 2 - LancasterOnline - August 10th, 2020
- No flight required: 10 island escapes you can drive to - USA Today 10Best - August 9th, 2020
- Grand Island School district expects technical devices will be in high demand as more students learn remotely - WIVB.com - News 4 - August 9th, 2020
- Community Health Action of Staten Island distributes boxes of fresh free food from Fresh Direct - SILive.com - August 9th, 2020
- Five new bridges leading to Deira Islands open to traffic - The National - August 8th, 2020
- Head of island police station to be removed over lax virus checks | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- Still without power? Con Ed giving away dry ice at Staten Island Mall Saturday - silive.com - August 8th, 2020
- Big Island Weekly Road Closures: Aug. 8-14 - Big Island Now - August 8th, 2020
- Hallmarks Love on Harbor Island: Where It's Filmed & Cast - Heavy.com - August 8th, 2020
- Public records lawsuit against city of Bainbridge Island dismissed - Kitsap Sun - August 8th, 2020
- Access granted: Halifax harbour's Georges Island opens to the public - Global News - August 8th, 2020
- Big Island Weekend Closures: Aug. 7-9 - Big Island Now - August 8th, 2020
- From Manus Island to Melbourne: we do not even know what we are being punished for - The Guardian - August 8th, 2020
- Heritage Museum launches a walking tour exhibit - Vashon-Maury Island Beachcomber - August 8th, 2020
- Galveston Island Humane Society's pets of the week - Galveston County Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- UFC Fighters, Staff, and Journalists Couldn't Help But Love Fight Island - Sportscasting - August 8th, 2020
- Aquidneck Island Open Houses: 14 homes to tour this weekend - What'sUpNewp - August 8th, 2020
- Authorities tell people to leave Oak Island, declaring much of it unsafe after Isaias - WRAL.com - August 5th, 2020
- Hatteras Island, Ocracoke Island reopen to residents and vendors; minimal damage from Isaias - WAVY.com - August 5th, 2020
- Vacation-rental agreement a good thing for island - Thegardenisland.com - August 5th, 2020
- Rock Island-Milan School District to begin school year with full remote learning - WHBF - OurQuadCities.com - August 5th, 2020
- Metlakatla resident diagnosed with COVID-19 is off-island in Juneau, local officials say - KRBD - August 5th, 2020
- The 10 best dream Islands to visit in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - iMore - August 5th, 2020